Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames Reviews

Updated 10 Jul 2020

Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames Chief Executive Officer Charlie Adan  (no image)
Charlie Adan
  1. "Brilliant Opportunity"

5.0
    Current Employee - National Management Trainee in Kingston upon Thames, England

I have been working at Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames full-time for more than a year

Pros

This two-year graduate scheme, run by the Local Government Association, is a great opportunity to commence your career in public sector and local government. It's a two year programme across four different placements with a department of your choosing. Managers so far have been extremely supportive and there is plenty of opportunity to be able to work closely with senior colleagues. Also one of the friendliest environments I have worked in.

Cons

It's a shame that there is no guarantee of a job (or that the scheme doesn't lead into a full time position at a higher level) after the two year contract, as talent is not retained, and usually lost to other areas such as the Civil Service, public sector consultancies etc...

2. "General Overview"

Current Employee - English and ESOL Tutor in Kingston upon Thames, England

I have been working at Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very good communications and teamwork. Realistic expectations and good work/life balance. Willingness to train staff and to listen to new ideas.

Cons

Local Authorities are under enormous pressure now and the future for many jobs is uncertain.

3. "Hard culture"

Former Employee - Corporate Services Manager

I worked at Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible working and town centre

Cons

Culture and senior management hard

4. "Overall positive"

Former Employee - Middle Management

I worked at Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are friendly and the majority want to make a difference to their residents .

Cons

Who your manager is can have a massive impact on your time there - reporting issues can be challenging.

5. "Residential Care Office"

5.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chessington, England

Pros

Reliable and professional Pension perks were fantastic

Cons

None that I can think of

6. "ICT Engineer"

ICT Engineer

I worked at Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames for more than 10 years

Pros

Good team around me. Good management.

Cons

Staff shortages. lack of funding

7. "Good company"

I have been working at Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames

Pros

Good management and listened well

Cons

More time required for development

8. "Nice place but poor support"

I worked at Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames full-time

Pros

Nice surroundings with friendly people.

Cons

Poor support from management when pursing investigations.

Continue reading

"Graduate Engineer- Highways and Transport"

1.0
    Current Employee - Highway Design Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    No Opinion of CEO

Pros

They are all friendly and with good intentions They promise you equal opportunities

Cons

It is all a fake mask, it is everything rooted. No one will ever have a chance without the good contacts. The roles were given before they were open for applications. They don't read your cover letter either your CV, it is a waste of time if you don't know anyone inside there. Your experience and studies don't matter. There is no feedback or any kind of reply, only an automated depersonalised response after 3 months of waiting for the shortlist.

Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames Response

June 20, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review and I'm sorry you are disappointed with the experience you received going through our recruitment process for graduate engineers. For us this was the first time we have advertised our engineer vacancies as graduate opportunities and we were overwhelmed with the vast number of applications we received (in excess of 80). Unfortunately this meant we were delayed in our short listing process as we wanted to fully review each and every application before making a decision on who to bring through for interview, the calibre of applications was excellent which meant this did take longer than first anticipated, but I can assure you that all applications were reviewed against our job profile requirements in detail. I can also assure you that we short list based on how well job applicants demonstrate their skills, experience and abilities meet the criteria of the job, as outlined in our job profile document included with all job advertisements - we do not short list based on 'good contacts'. Our communication with candidates could have been better so I do apologise for that and take your comments on board. We will review our processes in line with this to ensure this doesn't happen again for future campaigns. If you wish to discuss this further please don't hesitate to me directly. Kind regards, Ali Spurling - Recruitment Consultant alexandra.spurling@kingston.gov.uk

10. "Facilities Officer"

I worked at Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames full-time

Pros

Nice place to work, nice people

Cons

Takes too long to get anything done

Found 20 reviews