Royal College of Nursing Reviews

Updated 14 May 2020

3.5
Royal College of Nursing  Acting CEO and General Secretary Donna Kinnair
Donna Kinnair
Pros
  • "I have stayed with the RCN longer than any of my previous employers - what keeps me here(in 12 reviews)

• "Flexible working , great holiday entitlement(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "RCN treats permanent staff well but if you are on a fixed term contract some of the practices are not so good(in 7 reviews)

• "Career progression within the organisation in some departments can be difficult(in 5 reviews)

1. COVID-19

"Geat place to work first class employer supportinf its team through covid-19"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at Royal College of Nursing full-time for less than a year

Pros

Executive Team who are committed to doing the right thing

Cons

Nothing that would warrant noting here.

2. "Not the place for career progression"

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in London, England

I worked at Royal College of Nursing part-time

Pros

Good salary and benefits. Supporting nurses and the future of nursing.

Cons

Poor for career progression. High pressure with little support.

March 4, 2020Business Ops Manager

The People &OD team (HR) at the RCN wanted to let you know that we are aware that today you have posted this feedback about how you felt about working at the RCN and we are really pleased to hear that you think that we are doing a good job of supporting nurses and that the pay and benefits are good .We’d like to learn more about why you feel there is poor career progression and there is high pressure and little support. We know that our Chief Executive would want to hear about it too if you felt able to talk to her. If you feel comfortable having a conversation with us please do feel free to speak to Steve or Jackie in the People team or indeed to contact Donna directly. Thank you - the People &OD team at the RCN

3. "A positive place to work"

5.0
    Current Employee - Corporate Events Assistant in London, England

I have been working at Royal College of Nursing full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are the best and everyone pulls together as a team to support each other, i've made some really good friends for life. The offices are nice and in a good location too. Really great perks and flexible working opportunities with lots of opportunity for personal/career development.

Cons

It's hard to let your creative side out, to implement real change there are a lot of hoops to jump through.

March 4, 2020Business Ops Manager

The People &OD team (HR) at the RCN wanted to let you know that we are aware that you have posted this feedback about how you feel about working at the RCN and we are really pleased to hear that you think that teamwork is good and you also think that the benefits, career opportunities and flexible working are great too! We’d like to learn more about why you feel your creativity is restricted and about how we could manage change better. We know that our Chief Executive would want to hear about it too if you felt able to talk to her. If you feel comfortable having a conversation with us please do feel free to speak to Steve or Jackie in the People team or indeed to contact Donna directly. Thank you - the People &OD team at the RCN

4. "Lots of management games, and an Exec team who haven't a clue!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Royal College of Nursing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible working (if your boss supports it), Good pension scheme (if you are in the CARE scheme)

Cons

Lack of ability of the executive team to change the organisation. Managers do not look within for the skills that already exist and trust the opinion of contractors or so called external experts over their own staff. This is a really uncomfortable place to work with staff constantly being overlooked and loads of games at the very senior level.

January 7, 2020Business Ops Manager

The People and OD team (HR) at the RCN wanted to let you know that we are aware that today you have posted this feedback about how you feel about working at the RCN. We’re sorry to hear that you feel this way and would welcome the opportunity to talk to you about your feedback so that we can better understand your experiences. We know that our Chief Executive would want to hear about it too if you felt able to talk to her. If you feel comfortable having a conversation with us please do feel free to speak to Liz or Steve, or indeed to contact Donna directly. Thank you - the People and OD team at the RCN.

"Ok place to work"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in London, England

I worked at Royal College of Nursing part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible working options. Good pay

Cons

Management don't always listen. Bullying going on

December 17, 2019Business Ops Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review on Glassdoor. We aim to do our very best to ensure that the RCN is a great place to work and it’s good to hear that you appreciated the rate of pay and the flexible working options we offer. As an organisation we are always looking for ways to improve, so these reviews are helpful to allow us to explore any concerns and from reading your review, we can see that not all of your time with us has been positive . We would really welcome the opportunity to talk to you about your feedback so that we can better understand your experiences of working at RCN. If you feel comfortable having a conversation with us, in confidence, please give Jackie our HR Business Operations Manager a ring on 02920 546346 or email Jackie via recruit@rcn.org.uk. Thank you again for using the opportunity that Glassdoor provides to give us this insight and allow us, with your help, to do something about it.

6. "Excellent place to work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Project Accountant in London, England

I have been working at Royal College of Nursing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible working , great holiday entitlement

Cons

Career progression within the organisation in some departments can be difficult

"Inappropriate relationships tolerated"

Former Employee - HROD

I worked at Royal College of Nursing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Terms and conditions are very good

Cons

Inappropriate relationships in HR department. “Jobs for the girls.”

"A modern tragedy"

Former Employee - Editorial in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Royal College of Nursing full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Holiday entitlement Carers’ leave Salary Flexible working Health and fitness allowance Pension

Cons

Poor management Lack of strategy, purpose and direction Jobs for the boys Poor performance is not managed Slow to respond to changing trends in publishing Lack of emotional intelligence from leadership

June 7, 2019Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of RCNi on Glassdoor. It’s good to hear you have enjoyed the benefits that RCNi have to offer including our pay, flexible working and generous holiday entitlement. It’s also really great to hear that you felt your RCNi colleagues were talented, positive and hardworking people whom truly want to help promote nurses and the nursing profession. We aim to do our very best to ensure that RCNi is a great place to work but it seems that this has not been your experience. We’re an organisation that is always looking for ways to improve, so these reviews are crucial to allow us to explore your concerns further. We would really welcome the opportunity to talk to you more about your feedback – to better understand your experiences of working at RCNi. If you’d feel comfortable having a conversation with us, in confidence, please do give Sanoober, RCNi’s Head of HR, a ring on (0)20 8872 3105 or email (sanoober.quamer@rcni.com) so that she can arrange something that works for you. We work hard to ensure staff feel supported and able to speak up at the RCN and at RCNi, our subsidiary, and we always seek to resolve issues where this isn’t the case, so thank you again for using the opportunity that Glassdoor provides to give us this insight and allow us, with your help, to do something about it.

9. "Company looked after their staff"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Royal College of Nursing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Their wellbeing policies and strategy, annual leave,

Cons

Politics of some management staff at the time in certain teams

May 8, 2019Recruitment Manager

Thank you so much for your review. It’s great to hear you felt looked after whilst working at the RCN. Our award winning Health and Wellbeing Strategy and Reward packages are fantastic. I am sorry to hear about the politics going on with some management staff in certain teams. We’re passionate about creating a culture where employees feel safe to speak up. We’ve changed a lot over the years thanks to the feedback our people have given us and we do take these reviews seriously. Would you be interested in speaking with me further about your concerns? My name is Sarah and you can email me at recruit@rcn.org.uk. Thanks again for leaving us a review

10. "Officer"

4.0

I worked at Royal College of Nursing

Pros

Supportive, friendly and inclusive work environment

Cons

Career progression can be limited

September 10, 2018Recruitment Manager

Hi there, its great to hear you working environment has been supportive, friendly and inclusive - I couldn't agree more . I am sorry to hear you feel career progression can be limited - it means a lot to us that are staff are continuously developed and have the opportunity to grow in the RCN. Its something we are certainly continuing to address. Thanks again for leaving us a review.

Found 49 reviews