Royal College of Nursing Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company"

Former Employee - Pension Administrator in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Former Employee - Pension Administrator in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at Royal College of Nursing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supportive, energetic, professional, career progression, events

Cons

Very little cons regarding the business

2. "Good organisation with highly motivated staff"

I have been working at Royal College of Nursing full-time

Pros

Important and fulfilling work, great sense of satisfaction delivering for members

Cons

Multiple priorities, can feel like pulling in too many directions at once

Advice to Management

Set clear direction, simplify bureaucracy, empower staff to use their skills

"Fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at Royal College of Nursing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The RCN is great place to work. Salary and annual leave are over and above and I get to work with some genuinely lovely people every day, and there are some fantastic managers at the RCN.

Flexible working is really good, and the organisations appears on board with flexible working which makes a real change to my work life balance.

Cons

There are some challenging employees that aren't always positive - which can get you down at times.

Advice to Management

Manage out the negative, poor performers

18 Oct 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Hi there, thanks so much for your review, its great to hear from you.

We’re really proud of our terms and conditions – glad to hear you think so too. Our annual leave is generous and smart... More

5. "Over paid and under qualified!"

I have been working at Royal College of Nursing  (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, salary & leave.

Cons

I agree with a lot of the reviews on here about senior management. The previous CEO felt more in touch with issues than the current one.
    A reshuffle at the top has had little impact apart from, unbelievably, placing extra departments under the oppressive HR leadership where the management team is appointed on the basis of close relationships rather than experience and ability.
    Agree also with the points raised with senior management not dealing with serious issues when reported.

Advice to Management

Dont do surveys if you are not going to do anything about it.

18 Oct 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Hello. Thanks for taking the time to leave a review here.
    Whilst we’re disappointed to read what you’ve said we’re glad you’ve felt able to share your views because we care about the experience... More

"On the surface an excellent employer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cardiff, Wales
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cardiff, Wales

I worked at Royal College of Nursing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great for personal development, good leave entitlement and benefits. Working at the RCN has changed my outlook on my career. The office with its original features and design is a beautiful place to work.

Cons

Issues at Senior Level. Regarded as a 'difficult' employee if you report serious concerns. (There are a lot of serious concerns). As a union you would expect a lot better.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. Stick to the pledge of making things better.

13 Sep 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Hi there, thanks for the review. We’re really proud of our terms and conditions – glad to hear you think so too. Our main office at 20 Cavendish Square is a gorgeous historic building and I agree, it... More

"Very good company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Royal College of Nursing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

• Generous annual leave
    • Closed for Christmas
    • 35 hour week
    • Always paid on time
    • Diversity understood
    • Good salaries and grading structure
    • Always in the top 100 non profit organisations to work for
    • Flexable working
    • Good benefits

Cons

•Difficult to get a job in another department
    • Exhausting interview process
    •Sometimes the voices of the few are not heard over the voices of many
    • Forever growing workload
    • Lack of recognition
    • Difficult to move to the next pay grade

"Corrupt and incompetent"

I worked at Royal College of Nursing full-time

Pros

Good holiday entitlement/ not much else

Cons

Diabolical corrupt organisation. Promotes only nurses regardless of the skill set needed for the job and they are some of the most nasty and power hungry people I have ever encountered. This has led to chaos in a number of departments and explains why the organisation is constantly on the back foot with most things. People usually promoted to avoid the embarrassment factor. Multiple layers of management on inflated salaries seeking to justify their existence by rigorous auditing of member case files....what a joke!

Advice to Management

Review the policy of only promoting nurses and recognise that staff should be employed only if they can offer competence and expertise to the organisation. Clear out the layers of management between the Exec team and people who are working on the frontline with members.

13 Sep 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Hello there. Really disappointed to read about your experience with us and your strength of feeling. We do our very best to ensure the RCN is a great place to work but it seems you had a very... More

"Incestuous culture of distrust. Avoid."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Royal College of Nursing full-time

Pros

High pay and great benefits, good location. Some genuinely nice people. Good at campaigning.

Cons

Incestuous culture of distrust. Promises made at interview quickly proved false. Is giving staff an extra day of holiday as a reward for getting the Top 100 Employer award appropriate? Lack of competence across all levels of management. What a waste of nurses' subs and a missed opportunity to do good. Unfortunately it's a monopoly so not much incentive to improve unless member numbers drop. A weird, sad place. Avoid.

Advice to Management

It's not the mid/late 20th century any more. Clear out the rotten core and let people who care about nurses and know how do things well get on with the job. Wholesale change needed.

13 Sep 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Really sorry to read about your reflections on your time with us. Yours isn’t the experience we’d want anyone to have. I could identify with a couple of things in your review – our pay and benefits... More

"Fantastic environment"

Pros

Great environment, great work-life balance, lots of really nice people

Cons

Line management is very hit-and-miss. Managers don't receive management training

Little career progression

3 Mar 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you very much for the time and effort you have invested in your review. Its great to hear you find the RCN has a great environment and work life balance. We also agree, we have lots of really... More

"Exceptional Company to work for"

Current Employee - RCN Officer
    Current Employee - RCN Officer

I have been working at Royal College of Nursing part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary and benefits, especially the very generous annual leave allowance and Christmas closure. Fantastic induction program. Very supportive teams and management.

Cons

The usual red tape. A lot of expectation that you will change your non-working day to accomodate a course.