Royal College of Nursing Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Found 46 reviews

3.4
Royal College of Nursing  CEO Donna Kinnair
Donna Kinnair
Pros
  • "I have stayed with the RCN longer than any of my previous employers - what keeps me here(in 12 reviews)

• "flexible working which makes a real change to my work life balance(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "RCN treats permanent staff well but if you are on a fixed term contract some of the practices are not so good(in 7 reviews)

• "Career progression can be limited(in 4 reviews)

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Royal College of Nursing full-time for more than a year

Pros

The RCN is a genuinely caring employer, and there are opportunities here for those who want to progress.

Cons

No major cons, though parking can be tricky.

Royal College of Nursing 2018-07-16
  2. "Great company, people and benefits, difficult recruitment process"

Current Employee - Legal Officer in London, England

I have been working at Royal College of Nursing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay/benefits Team and office itself are great

Cons

Recruitment process for internal candidates requires review

Advice to Management

Staff retention would be much higher if the internal recruitment process supported internal staff and temporary staff better. The organisation could lose a lot of brilliant workers by not allowing their work to go towards the recruitment process, instead relying on a score on the day process.

Royal College of Nursing 2019-09-25
  3. "Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Project Accountant in London, England

I have been working at Royal College of Nursing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible working , great holiday entitlement

Cons

Career progression within the organisation in some departments can be difficult

Royal College of Nursing 2019-06-22

"Inappropriate relationships tolerated"

Former Employee - HROD

I worked at Royal College of Nursing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Terms and conditions are very good

Cons

Inappropriate relationships in HR department. “Jobs for the girls.”

Advice to Management

Staff who are having a relationship should not be managed directly by each other. When this becomes known, it should be dealt with straight away - not tolerated.. Outrageous behaviour and cause of embarrassment for department. Affected key decisions, and credibility.

Royal College of Nursing 2019-07-14

"A modern tragedy"

Former Employee - Editorial in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Royal College of Nursing full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Holiday entitlement Carers’ leave Salary Flexible working Health and fitness allowance Pension

Cons

Poor management Lack of strategy, purpose and direction Jobs for the boys Poor performance is not managed Slow to respond to changing trends in publishing Lack of emotional intelligence from leadership

Advice to Management

When I joined RCNi, the publishing company owned by RCN, I was impressed and proud to work there. It was owned by nurses and run by nurses with a real sense that the flagship journal Nursing Standard was on nurses’ side. The company had enviable personal subscription figures and healthy advertising revenues. However, times change. The company responded too slowly to digital publishing and the downturn in advertising..., resulting in halfhearted and confused attempts to find alternative revenue streams that other companies had already developed and done well years before us. Some staff are very talented, positive and hardworking and truly want to help promote the excellent work done by nurses in all care settings in the U.K. and internationally. Others, sadly some at director level, have only their own interests to promote and have been allowed to rinse the company dry for years, such that it’s now a shadow of its former self. I left because my morale and self-worth were at rock bottom. It’s difficult to remain positive and committed as an experienced employee of a publishing company where editorial is the least valued department and the message from the top is ‘you’re old, expensive, out of date and we’d like to make things so unpleasant for you that you’ll leave and save us the redundancy payout’. A tragedy.

Royal College of Nursing 2019-06-03

June 7, 2019Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of RCNi on Glassdoor. It’s good to hear you have enjoyed the benefits that RCNi have to offer including our pay, flexible working and generous holiday entitlement. It’s also really great to hear that you felt your RCNi colleagues were talented, positive and hardworking people whom truly want to help promote nurses and the nursing profession. We aim to do our very best to ensure that RCNi is a great place to work but it seems that this has not been your experience. We’re an organisation that is always looking for ways to improve, so these reviews are crucial to allow us to explore your concerns further. We would really welcome the opportunity to talk to you more about your feedback – to better understand your experiences of working at RCNi. If you’d feel comfortable having a conversation with us, in confidence, please do give Sanoober, RCNi’s Head of HR, a ring on (0)20 8872 3105 or email (sanoober.quamer@rcni.com) so that she can arrange something that works for you. We work hard to ensure staff feel supported and able to speak up at the RCN and at RCNi, our subsidiary, and we always seek to resolve issues where this isn’t the case, so thank you again for using the opportunity that Glassdoor provides to give us this insight and allow us, with your help, to do something about it.

6. "A company that lacks direction and leadership, with too many games being played"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Royal College of Nursing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Staff have all the power

Cons

Management are lacking in autonomy and prevented from managing.

Advice to Management

There is no direction and the organisation is rudderless. No strategy, no vision, no leadership. With lots of games being played to fight for your position. it is such a pity as the organisation can be s much more

Royal College of Nursing 2019-05-05

May 15, 2019Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of the RCN on Glassdoor. We do our very best to ensure the RCN is a great place to work but it seems that is not your experience. We’re not an organisation that likes to stand still and we’re always looking to improve, so these reviews are taken seriously. We would really welcome the opportunity to talk to you more about your feedback – to better understand your experience, particularly to help us as we continue to go through a significant period of change which we know can cause staff to feel unsettled and unclear. If you’d feel comfortable having a conversation with one of the HR team, in confidence, please do give us a ring (020 7647 3560) or email (recruit@rcn.org.uk) so that we can arrange something that works for you. We work hard to ensure staff feel supported and able to speak up and we always seek to resolve issues where this isn’t the case, so thank you again for using the opportunity that Glassdoor provides to give us this insight and allow us, with your help, to do something about it.

7. "Company looked after their staff"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Royal College of Nursing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Their wellbeing policies and strategy, annual leave,

Cons

Politics of some management staff at the time in certain teams

Royal College of Nursing 2019-04-07

May 8, 2019Recruitment Manager

Thank you so much for your review. It’s great to hear you felt looked after whilst working at the RCN. Our award winning Health and Wellbeing Strategy and Reward packages are fantastic. I am sorry to hear about the politics going on with some management staff in certain teams. We’re passionate about creating a culture where employees feel safe to speak up. We’ve changed a lot over the years thanks to the feedback our people have given us and we do take these reviews seriously. Would you be interested in speaking with me further about your concerns? My name is Sarah and you can email me at recruit@rcn.org.uk. Thanks again for leaving us a review

8. "Officer"

I worked at Royal College of Nursing

Pros

Supportive, friendly and inclusive work environment

Cons

Career progression can be limited

Royal College of Nursing 2018-09-07

September 10, 2018Recruitment Manager

Hi there, its great to hear you working environment has been supportive, friendly and inclusive - I couldn't agree more . I am sorry to hear you feel career progression can be limited - it means a lot to us that are staff are continuously developed and have the opportunity to grow in the RCN. Its something we are certainly continuing to address. Thanks again for leaving us a review.

9. "Excellent place to work"

I worked at Royal College of Nursing full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits. Friendly atmosphere & opportunities to grow.

Cons

Not a huge amount of cons, but slow moving and slightly bureaucratic at times

Royal College of Nursing 2018-04-04
  10. "Great colleagues!"

I worked at Royal College of Nursing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great colleagues and workplace benefits

Cons

Lacks innovation and too bureaucratic

Advice to Management

Be more transparent

Royal College of Nursing 2018-04-12

July 5, 2018Recruitment Manager

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave a review here. Its great to hear you love working with your colleagues and enjoy our workplace benefits. We know our benefits, salary and leave entitlements are something our people value, and allows us to demonstrate how much we value our people, but listening to their concerns is much more important to us. We are working on becoming a more innovative and agile organisation and our continually improving technology will only help to support this further. Thank you for your advice. We really do care about the experience our people have when they work for us and always seek to listen to their feedback ensuring transparency throughout. Thanks again for leaving us a review.

Found 46 reviews