Royal London Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 27 June 2017

Full-time Part-time

4.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • The flexible working enables employees to have a great work life balance whether that's to help with family life or enable you to achieve other goals (in 9 reviews)

• They put customers at the heart of everything they do and managers and colleagues are extremely supportive (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • From senior management down recruitment seems to be what's easier not what is best for the business (in 4 reviews)

• Large company so suggestions for your own branch must go through them - as with any (in 3 reviews)

1. "Fantastic"

Current Employee - Case Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Royal London full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Loads friendly helpful staff and structured training. Everyone is friendly and loads of information to take in but at your own peace.

Cons

None so far that I have come across. Maybe could have had my system access all set up before I started. It that's it.

2. "Great place to work where every employee is valued and appreciated"

Current Employee - Business Improvement Administrator in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Business Improvement Administrator in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Royal London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Every employee is not just a number
    -Strong customer focus
    -Award winning, successful and growing business
    -Place where achievements are acknowledge and contributions are valued
    -Excellent career progression opportunities
    -Friendly and joyous culture
    -Everyone has a chance to feel like a part of something big no matter role or department
    -A company where Employee Satisfaction is always in the top agenda
    -A place where you can truly realise your potential

Cons

-Complex departmental structure
    -Although CSR activities are in place, overall company is not fully sustainable and could put more effort into reducing environmental impact

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

3. "Fantastic career opportunities from a truly customer centric organisation"

Current Employee - Consumer Division in London, England
    Current Employee - Consumer Division in London, England

I have been working at Royal London full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can't believe I've been at Royal London for 3 years - it has flown by! In this time I've had the pleasure of building a new consumer facing business which has launched market leading protection and retirement products, won a new distribution contract with the Post Office, and which goes from strength to strength.
    Royal London truly believes in doing the best for its customers, investing heavily in insight to build the best products in the market.

It's such an exciting, fast paced environment to work in with a wonderful culture. It's full of career opportunities and the ability to make your mark. It's a place where employees are empowered, ambition is nurtured and proactively is rewarded.

Cons

Nothing of note. I think it would be difficult to move to another FS company having been part of such a wonderful working environment.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your people and technology.

Continue to nurture the amazing culture you have built which feels like anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

Thanks for a super 3 years - I'm looking forward to the next 3!

24 Jun 2017 – Group CEO

Many thanks for taking the time to write and submit this wonderful review. I'm so glad that you have really enjoyed your first 3 years with Royal London. Thanks for everything that you have ... More

5. "Royal London is a great place to work. If you want to work for a fantastic company this is the one."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Royal London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People
    Culture
    They let you do what you are good at
    You feel very supported
    They keep you up to date with company strategy
    Your opinion is valued and encouraged
    There is a good and frequent communication culture

Cons

None that I have encountered so far. Yes the various businesses are quite scattered but the technology in place to encourage communication and collaboration helps with the.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. 5*

21 Jun 2017 – Group CEO

Many thanks for taking the time to write this review, it is really appreciated. I'm delighted to hear that you are enjoying your experience of working for Royal London.

"Great 'customer focused' company to work for."

Current Employee - Sales Development Consultant in Shoreham-by-Sea, England
    Current Employee - Sales Development Consultant in Shoreham-by-Sea, England

I have been working at Royal London full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

An incredibly positive company to work for. Royal London strive to be different, putting customers at the centre of everything they do. There is a real 'team/family' feel to the company with clear direction and visibility from the senior managers.

Cons

Being employed by a large company has its challenges but on balance there really isn't anything significant I can add.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on providing a customer experience, the Royal London brand & advertising and standing out.

14 Jun 2017 – Group CEO

Thanks for taking the time to submit this review. It's great to know that you are enjoying your experience of working at Royal London. Thanks also for all that you are contributing to our company and ... More

7. "Genuinely different"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Wilmslow, England
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Wilmslow, England

I have been working at Royal London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Market leading pay and benefits
    Great openness and honesty of leadership team - they do listen and act!
    Career development and opportunities to progress
    A mutual company, so customers/members interests are at its core
    A strong set of company values that are more than just talk

Cons

Sometimes there is slow and inconsistent decision making
    Old systems
    Over-crowded offices and car parks
    Some line managers aren't as good as others leading to inconsistent management

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in systems - we should aim for bleeding edge.
    Invest in line manager capability - either make sure everyone is up to standard or move them into a more appropriate role.

17 Jun 2017 – Group CEO

Thanks for providing this review of working for Royal London. It's good to hear that you are enjoying the experience. As you will be aware we are looking at options for a new building in Wilmslow to ... More

"Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Royal London full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Royal London really does put its customers at the forefront of everything they do. The CEO regularly visits sites across the Group hosting Coffee and Questions sessions to find out how people are feeling about key issues which is something I had never experienced in previous companies. We are actively encouraged to come up with ideas and areas for improvement and feedback really does get taken on board. Staff are friendly, positive and motivated and there is a relaxed working environment. Excellent staff benefits.

Cons

Offices in Glasgow not fully refurbished as they are rented and restrictions apply however all the above points still apply.

4 Jun 2017 – Group CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on what it is like to work for Royal London . Thanks also for your contribution to our progress. Best wishes.

"Challenging, fun and rewarding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bath, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bath, England

I have been working at Royal London (More than 5 years)

Pros

Royal London has the usual generous benefits you would expect from a company in this position, salaries aligned to sector and area, double matching pension, bonus, private health, plus other smaller yet useful or enjoyable perks.

The people working for the company are friendly and motivated to achieve which is great considering the amount of time you spend at work. The offices are nice with breakout areas and an open plan approach which puts management and workers together, good for open communication and also a bit of fun.

The company is flexible and will work around the employee, obviously there are some roles which require to be covering certain times or mostly office based, but working from home is an acceptable practice, as well as working early or late to fit around the school runs.

Social events are organised regularly, people are actively encouraged to let their hair down and enjoy the successes.

Communication is good with regular company meetings and updates, by email, in person at a roadshow, or with your manager.

Cons

It's a big company, so some things take time to change or achieve, that said, there is an open door policy to senior management which can help.

I work in Bath and the traffic to this city can be awful in peak travel times.

Advice to Management

It would be good to see more agile working practices.

24 May 2017 – Group CEO

Thanks for taking time to write and post this review. It's good to hear that you are enjoying your experience of working for Royal London, and thanks for all that you are contributing to the ... More

10. "Great"

Current Employee - Customer Service Consultant in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Customer Service Consultant in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Royal London full-time

Pros

The culture is flexible, friendly and supportive. Management have all been really open and honest, while making an effort to get to know the boots on the ground.

Benefits package is one of the best in the market, having worked at various other firms I know first hand.

Cons

It might sound trivial but some extra water machines would be good.

Advice to Management

Have you thought of reviewing the length of service for Rl3 band staff before they are eligible for healthcare?

22 Apr 2017 – Group CEO

Thanks for making the time to submit your review. It's good to hear that you are enjoying your career with Royal London, and thank you for your contribution to our company. We regularly review our ... More

11. "Successful forward thinking mutual, seriously investing in customers & people. A great place to grow your career!"

Current Employee - Group Technology and Change in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Group Technology and Change in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Royal London full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Royal London is large enough to support growth of it's people, offering plenty of opportunity for career progression across different functions. I've just been given a new stretching role after discussing my aspirations with my manager. Perfect fit for me - loving it!

Company is just the right size so that you can genuinely make a difference too.

I like the fact that there is an open and trusting culture, which is being driven from within rather than set by management. A market review of salaries is underway too.

The company has an ambitious change agenda, so my work is busy and varied with new ways of working now being introduced which I hope will empower us even more. Managing to keep work life balance ok, other than normal end of project push.

Cons

Not really any right now - optimistic that this will continue.

Guess there are the usual market challenges of competitors chasing us, but feels like no greater a risk than anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Year on year successes, cultural improvements and new opportunities have been great and are definitely keeping people with you. Keep doing the right things for customers and people.

12 Apr 2017 – Group CEO

Thanks so much for taking the time to submit this very passionate review. It's wonderful to hear that you are enthused by your experience with Royal London, and particularly good to hear that you ... More