Royal London Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 9 December 2017

Full-timePart-time

4.2

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The flexible working enables employees to have a great work life balance whether that's to help with family life or enable you to achieve other goals (in 14 reviews)

• RL is open to flexible working and has a more relaxed dress code for non-customer facing staff than other organisations (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • I think we can find more ways of extracting these ideas so that they are heard by senior management e (in 7 reviews)

• Lack of meeting rooms and poor management of hot desking (in 3 reviews)

1. "Fantastic forward thinking company"

Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Royal London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great company culture
    - No micro-management
    - Flexible working hours
    - Openness to hiring internal candidates for roles.
    - Decent salary for roles

Cons

- Lack of communication around internal change

Advice to Management

Develop a process to use with employees around internal change, so the change impacts them to a minimum.

2. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Enterprise Architect in Wilmslow, England
    Current Employee - Enterprise Architect in Wilmslow, England

I have been working at Royal London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly and empowering culture, great work / life balance, good benefits in particular the pension offered,

Cons

Need to improve some of their change practices but heading in the right direction

3. "Royal London Asset Management"

I have been working at Royal London full-time

Pros

- Talented, driven and friendly people creating positive and enjoyable atmosphere

- Good work/life balance

- Increasing brand recognitions and growing business

Cons

Flat culture is positive but this results in increased number of boards and committees, reducing productivity and creating delays

Advice to Management

Streamline approval and governance process

8 Dec 2017 – Group CEO

Thanks for taking the time to write and post this review. It’s good to know that you are enjoying your experience of working for Royal London. I’ll take your point about too much governance on board... More

5. "Working at Royal London"

I have been working at Royal London full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic organisation, great culture and puts the customer at the heart of what we do

Cons

nothing of note to add

30 Nov 2017 – Group CEO

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. It’s great to hear that you are enjoying your experience of working for Royal London. Thanks for all that you contribute to our company.

6. "Rewarding work, but not perfect"

Current Employee - Actuarial Trainee in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Actuarial Trainee in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Royal London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mutual Company with a view to being customer centric. One of the top market companies with a wide range of products.

Cons

Not the best paid in the market. Business leaders are not as visible as they could be.

Advice to Management

Some projects seem to go forward even though they are obviously flawed. It appears as if the Exec are dragging us through the mud.

8 Dec 2017 – Group CEO

Thanks for taking the time to submit your review. It’s good to hear that you think Royal London has merit and, of course, you are right to point out that there is room to improve because we are not... More

7. "It pays the bills."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Royal London full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The provide good branded umbrellas.

Cons

The management don't really care about the staff all they see are statistics on a piece of paper.

They have these Values of Royal London promotion which is their attempt to install these fakes values and attitudes within the business. Will boils down to everyone just patting themselves and their best friends on their back for a job that they should have done anyway.

8 Dec 2017 – Group CEO

Oh dear this sounds like the voice of the eternal cynic. I’m sorry that you are so disillusioned and hope that you will change your viewpoint. But if you are so dejected about working at Royal London... More

8. "The place to be for personal development!"

Current Employee - Senior Actuarial Analyst in Wilmslow, England
    Current Employee - Senior Actuarial Analyst in Wilmslow, England

I have been working at Royal London full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work with great and very bright people.
    Welcoming and friendly place to work.
    Lots of opportunities for personal development.
    Great support network.
    Plenty of varied and challenging work.

Cons

Flexible working culture not fully embedded.

Advice to Management

Overall a great job so far. The company could focus more on embedding the flexible working culture....although I do believe there are steps in place to address this in the near future.

6 Dec 2017 – Group CEO

Thanks for posting your review which I think is a very fair and balanced summary of where we are right now. A lot of our people, including myself, feel that we have a special culture at Royal London... More

"Great Place to Work - despite little opportunities for progression"

Current Employee - Customer Service Consultant in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Customer Service Consultant in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Royal London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company based on great values. The company truly puts the customer at the heart of all operations. I do enjoy working for RL and I am proud of this based on the companies values.

Cons

One thing I would say is there is little opportunity to progress within the company certainly within customer services. However the company has recently begun career taster sessions so hopefully this may open a few opportunities in future.

17 Nov 2017 – Group CEO

Thanks for taking the time to submit your review and it’s good to know that you are enjoying your experience of working for Royal London. It’s absolutely right to say that increasing our internal... More

10. "HR are a nightmare"

Former Employee - Mail Room Clerk in Wilmslow, England
    Former Employee - Mail Room Clerk in Wilmslow, England

I worked at Royal London full-time

Pros

Work/Life balance is positive along with the CEO who seems likable.

Cons

HR dept personify ineptitude. Poor attitude and they get away with it as there is nowhere else to go.

Advice to Management

Clear up the HR department

8 Dec 2017 – Group CEO

Thanks for submitting this review and I’m flattered that you find me “likeable”. I appreciate that you have left the company but as you clearly feel you’ve had a raw deal from our HR department I’d... More

11. "People development"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmslow, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmslow, England

I have been working at Royal London full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

When I first joined the culture wasn’t very good with people not being developed professionally e.g. CPD, or towards career progression laterally or vertically. Communication of changes and visibility of senior management was also very poor. It was practically unheard of that staff were recognised for good work or going the extra mile.

Over the last 2 years this has all started to change with RL placing more emphasis on people moving around the business via secondments and business line specific conferences are being held to keep staff up to date. The annual RL roadshows are also great for getting different business areas to get together. There are also now taster sessions being held to give people an insight into other business areas that they might be interested in joining.
    RL has also launched recognition schemes where you can nominate someone, in or outside of your business area, for demonstrating group “In the Spirit” values which can result in a £50 voucher or up to £1k.

Whilst there is still work to be done on developing culture around the business, in some areas more than others, the group has begun to try to change this with the People Pods and encouraging more frequent manager team meetings via the Continuous Improvement Ways of Working.

Cons

There are lots of talented people at Royal London with good ideas. I think we can find more ways of extracting these ideas so that they are heard by senior management e.g. through mail boxes or anonymous post boxes around the buildings.

Advice to Management

Although I think Royal London is on the right path, I think more can be done to develop behaviours towards training existing staff into senior roles in the business.

10 Nov 2017 – Group CEO

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your thoughts about working at Royal London. I think that all of your points add up to a very fair reflection of the progress that Royal London has made... More