Royal London Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 18 April 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.2

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The flexible working enables employees to have a great work life balance whether that's to help with family life or enable you to achieve other goals (in 16 reviews)

• RL is open to flexible working and has a more relaxed dress code for non-customer facing staff than other organisations (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • I think we can find more ways of extracting these ideas so that they are heard by senior management e (in 8 reviews)

• Being employed by a large company has its challenges but on balance there really isn't anything significant I can add (in 4 reviews)

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmslow, England

I have been working at Royal London full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- friendly and supportive staff
    - challenging work
    - celebrates progress
    - lots of exciting things happening in the office right now
    - Great death in service benefits
    - excellent pension scheme
    - good study support programme

Cons

- I love my role but rigid role structures makes it difficult to progress

3 Mar 2018 – Group CEO

Thanks for taking the time to write and submit your review. It’s good to know that you are enjoying your experience of working at Royal London. Thanks for all you are contributing to the success of... More

"poor management, bullying, harrassment, racial and disability discrimination are active"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmslow, England

I have been working at Royal London full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

opportunity for a long career if thats what you want
    canteen
    some nice people

Cons

will be moving to an inaccessible site for those who do not drive
    phone heavy work meaning admin targets are unattainable

Advice to Management

pointless - they dont listen anyway

"Very disappointing experience so far"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Wilmslow, England
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Wilmslow, England

I have been working at Royal London full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

some great colleagues
    onsite catering
    occasional staff shuttle bus to the office

Cons

All 'customer' related jobs are effectively call centres, heavy telephony with admin thrown in on the side
    Experienced staff have a tendancy to forget they were new and inexperienced once
    Organisation has a very casual relationship with Trust and honesty
    Ineffective or absent HR – unclear which
    Very poor line management appear to have no managerial skills or training
    Mislead re nature and make up of a role when offering position. Applied for and appointed to an administration role not a call centre role.
    Below market value pay (significantly below a call centre)
    Impossible to reach targets and therefore get a pay rise due to being on telephone 100% of working day
    Necessity and expectation to work regular overtime to keep up with work that you cant do whilst you are on the phone
    some very bigotted staff who have been around far too long
    Discriminatory
    Require you to undergo Occ Health assessment prior to offering role and then ignore it
    No prospect of getting through probation if you do not agree to work in the call centre
    Movement around organisation not possible until 12 months service completed - despite what you are promised on appointment and at induction
    Expectations during probationary period not documented so an ever moving goal post to eventually get signed off and made permanent
    Relocating to Nether Alderley which is inaccessible by public transport, leading to many staff, myself included, having to leave eventually
    Appears to be difficulties in management responding to emails in timely manner
    Failure to follow ACAS guidelines or basic principles of management

Advice to Management

ACAS is a very useful site. It gives tips on how to manage staff, deal with disciplinary processes, manage conflict, manage probationary periods etc - you might want to try reading it
    Responses to emails would be helpful occasionally
    need a back to the floor exercise for senior management
    Take a close look at your line management, no real management expertise or skill evident in the financial services teams
    Get rid of the dead wood. Some long serving staff need a good shake up - move them out of their comfort zones

"Amazing!"

I worked at Royal London full-time

Pros

Dress casual everyday, options to reduce lunch break to leave earlier, start as late as 10am if you want to, in depth training and good mentors, make you feel comfortable before starting anything new, no pressure to do anything you don't feel you're ready for.

Cons

Genuinely can't think of one!

Advice to Management

n/a

3 Mar 2018 – Group CEO

Thanks for providing your review. It’s good to know that you are enjoying your experience of working at Royal London. Thanks for your contribution to the success of our company.

5. "Fantastic place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmslow, England

I have been working at Royal London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Having been with Royal London for 2 years (and having worked for a number of similar sized organisations before), I can honestly say this is one of the best (if not the best) employers I have worked for in my career.

Being a mutual, thus not being owned/ accountable to external stakeholders, the organisation works solely in the interest of its customers/ members and prides its self on its customer service, which is 2nd to none. This is evident from the various awards it wins in its business sector year after year.

The organisation has some really strong values/ ethos that you can easily relate to (both at work and in personal life) and it genuinely tries to embed this within the culture of its workforce top-down from the Chief Exec (Phil Loney), who I must say come across a humble man and an all round 'alright bloke'. (Keep up the good work Phil 👍).

The organisation respects diversity and individuality and really get it in terms of people management and that having a happy workforce is a productive one.

I work in IT (in Group, Technology & Change) and my management are really supportive and let me get on with my job and help me develop without ever feeling micro-managed. The company also has a good recognition scheme where you can be nominated by your colleagues and end up with some monetary vouchers at the end of it! The company recognises and rewards hard work and has a generous bonus and pensions scheme as well.

The Wilmslow site (where I am based) also has a good onsite restaurant and gym for those who want to use it.

Cons

None . If I have to be picky, the parking facilities at the Wilmslow site are not large enough to accommodate the workforce but I know this is being looked into.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work in terms of looking after your workforce and don't ever lose sight that they are your most important assets! I hope you continue to do this even when the chips are down.

19 Feb 2018 – Group CEO

Thanks very much for taking the time to write and post your review. It made me smile and I was grateful for the personal vote of confidence. We will keep on working to get consistency in the way that... More

"Come and make a difference"

Current Employee - Manager in Wilmslow, England
    Current Employee - Manager in Wilmslow, England

I have been working at Royal London full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic staff from top to bottom. Egos left at the door , culture overrules all and has been grown organically which means it’s imbedded in the foundations. Lots of scope to implement change, which is promoted by all of GCS leaders and staff.

Cons

Slight divide between IT to operations in ways of working and culture but possibly due to the amount of contracted staff so once projects come to a close this will naturally improve. Still find it difficult to attract the best talent in the area , the royal London name needs shouting about more ! Adverts for jobs can go through agencies which read “16k a year contact center role in Cheshire with great benefits” It could be any PPI or call center job in the country! We have a great business and are different which doesn’t come across in the adverts . Simple change which will bring in even more talent to the existing great workforce.

Advice to Management

Keep asking for data ! Data isn’t scary or a stick to use to scare staff. It’s the second useful tool behind staff individuality that can really help us forecast for the future and widen the gap even further from competitors (not that any competitors can do what we do in the way we do it )

15 Feb 2018 – Group CEO

“Come and make a difference” - my sentiments exactly. Thanks so much for taking the time to post such a thoughtful review. I’m glad that you are enjoying your initial months of working for Royal... More

"Working environment"

Former Employee - Developer in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Developer in Manchester, England

I worked at Royal London (More than a year)

Pros

Very good spacious offices, clean desks, and professional

Cons

As contractor, you felt a bit isolated at times, deadlines were pushed to you as a contractor at very short notice or given short time scales to do it

22 Feb 2018 – Group CEO

Many thanks for taking the time to write and post your review. It’s good to know that overall you enjoyed your time working on contract at Royal London. Thanks for your contribution to our company.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Royal London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Finally a financial services company that not only says it cares about customers but actually does. It also cares about its staff too! People are actually empowered to get on with the job they know how to do best rather than senior management taking control and making stupid decisions. Customers are put at the heart of the organisation and strategy and decision making back it all up. Location in central Edinburgh is good too with the workspace in the process of being refurbished. Cost control is there of course, like all companies today, but is about saving money or resources to reinvest for the future not just to make more profit at customers expense.

Cons

Struggling to think of any! Could do with more space for collaboration and agile teams maybe, but that's about it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Trust the people you hire to know their job and do the right thing - why else hire them!

5 Feb 2018 – Group CEO

Thanks very much for your review, it’s great to hear that you are enjoying your experience of working for Royal London. Thanks for everything that you are contributing to our success.

9. "Great company and loads of opportunities to grow"

Current Employee - Complaints Officer in Bath, England
    Current Employee - Complaints Officer in Bath, England

I have been working at Royal London full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very people focused and encourages development and opportunities. Flexible working is offered and the working environment is great. There annual bonuses and increases based on you and the company's performance.

Cons

I can not think of any major cons at the moment. The only one may be that it is encouraged that you drive your own development which may be difficult for some.

Advice to Management

Keep engaging with your employees and making them feel valued.

6 Feb 2018 – Group CEO

Thanks very much for taking the time to complete and submit your review. It’s great to hear that you are enjoying your experience of working for Royal London. Thanks for all that you are contributing... More

10. "Enjoying Working Again"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Wilmslow, England
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Wilmslow, England

I have been working at Royal London full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After the credit crunch destroyed my career path I spent a few years going from bad job to bad job, and was counting down to semi retirement when I reached 55. Then I was offered a job at Royal London, and almost three years in I'm well past 55 and have no plans of going any time soon. I'm well paid, good benefits, have respect of colleagues and peers, have been promoted and still have prospects of further development, and have the opportunity to be involved in other projects outside my core role. I was happy to recommend RL to my daughter, who has now been here a year and referred people herself.

Cons

The only one I can think of is parking on site, but this is being addressed - and to be fair as this is the only issue it says a lot for them as an employer.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing.

16 Apr 2018 – Group CEO

Thanks very much for posting your review. It’s great to hear that you have reinvigorated your career during your time at Royal London. Now that you are leading others I’m sure you’ll help them to... More