Royal London Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 13 February 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.1

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance and flexible working (in 17 reviews)

• The flexible working enables employees to have a great work life balance whether that's to help with family life or enable you to achieve other goals (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • I think we can find more ways of extracting these ideas so that they are heard by senior management e (in 8 reviews)

• The work life balance is sometimes hard to maintain due to rapid growth (in 3 reviews)

1. "Come and make a difference"

Current Employee - Manager in Wilmslow, England
    Current Employee - Manager in Wilmslow, England

I have been working at Royal London full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic staff from top to bottom. Egos left at the door , culture overrules all and has been grown organically which means it’s imbedded in the foundations. Lots of scope to implement change, which is promoted by all of GCS leaders and staff.

Cons

Slight divide between IT to operations in ways of working and culture but possibly due to the amount of contracted staff so once projects come to a close this will naturally improve. Still find it difficult to attract the best talent in the area , the royal London name needs shouting about more ! Adverts for jobs can go through agencies which read “16k a year contact center role in Cheshire with great benefits” It could be any PPI or call center job in the country! We have a great business and are different which doesn’t come across in the adverts . Simple change which will bring in even more talent to the existing great workforce.

Advice to Management

Keep asking for data ! Data isn’t scary or a stick to use to scare staff. It’s the second useful tool behind staff individuality that can really help us forecast for the future and widen the gap even further from competitors (not that any competitors can do what we do in the way we do it )

15 Feb 2018 – Group CEO

“Come and make a difference” - my sentiments exactly. Thanks so much for taking the time to post such a thoughtful review. I’m glad that you are enjoying your initial months of working for Royal... More

2. "Great company and loads of opportunities to grow"

Current Employee - Complaints Officer in Bath, England
    Current Employee - Complaints Officer in Bath, England

I have been working at Royal London full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very people focused and encourages development and opportunities. Flexible working is offered and the working environment is great. There annual bonuses and increases based on you and the company's performance.

Cons

I can not think of any major cons at the moment. The only one may be that it is encouraged that you drive your own development which may be difficult for some.

Advice to Management

Keep engaging with your employees and making them feel valued.

6 Feb 2018 – Group CEO

Thanks very much for taking the time to complete and submit your review. It’s great to hear that you are enjoying your experience of working for Royal London. Thanks for all that you are contributing... More

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Royal London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Finally a financial services company that not only says it cares about customers but actually does. It also cares about its staff too! People are actually empowered to get on with the job they know how to do best rather than senior management taking control and making stupid decisions. Customers are put at the heart of the organisation and strategy and decision making back it all up. Location in central Edinburgh is good too with the workspace in the process of being refurbished. Cost control is there of course, like all companies today, but is about saving money or resources to reinvest for the future not just to make more profit at customers expense.

Cons

Struggling to think of any! Could do with more space for collaboration and agile teams maybe, but that's about it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Trust the people you hire to know their job and do the right thing - why else hire them!

5 Feb 2018 – Group CEO

Thanks very much for your review, it’s great to hear that you are enjoying your experience of working for Royal London. Thanks for everything that you are contributing to our success.

5. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Product Owner in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Product Owner in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Royal London full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Propositions designed based on great outcomes for customers (service and features)
    Great Career opportunities
    Empowered Culture
    Competitive benefits package

Cons

None that I can think off.

Advice to Management

Continue the to empower the staff and link all we do back to who the plays into the RL Vision.

4 Feb 2018 – Group CEO

Thanks for taking the time to write and post your review. It’s good to know that you are enjoying enjoying yourself at Royal London and you can be sure that we will be following your advice.

"Excellent employer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Royal London full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having worked for quite a number of different companies over the years I can honestly say that Royal London was one of the best. It was a shame to leave but I was offered a career progression elsewhere.

There was a positive culture of continual improvement. The management cared about the staff and its customers as well as influencing the wider public of the pitfalls of finance.

Cons

As with any large company it was going through some growing pains with some conflict between IT and the business areas. Decisions could take longer than needed.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and don't stop listening to the staff.

25 Jan 2018 – Group CEO

Thanks very much for taking the time to write and post your review. Thanks for all you have contributed to our company during your time with us and best wishes with your new opportunity. We will keep... More

7. "A Company Like No Other"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Royal London (More than a year)

Pros

Empowerment, development, culture, good remuneration package. The best company that I have ever worked for that genuinely cares about its staff and rewards them suitably.

Cons

Only a very minor point - it would be fantastic to implement occasional remote working from home but aside from this, Royal London puts other FS companies to shame. Let’s hope this continues to be the case! It would also help to have better systems but I believe this is being addressed in full anyway.

Advice to Management

Continue to recognise the success of people and reward this.

13 Feb 2018 – Group CEO

Thanks very much for taking the time to complete and submit your review, it is very much appreciated. I’m heartened to learn that you are having such a positive experience of working for Royal... More

8. "Lovely place to work, but poor pay"

Current Employee - Customer Service Consultant in Wilmslow, England
    Current Employee - Customer Service Consultant in Wilmslow, England

I have been working at Royal London full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people and environment is a great place to work, treated well and given freedom to get on with your job without aggressive over management

Cons

The salary is poor for the required knowledge base of the role, and we are talking shelf stacker poor for a new starter.

Advice to Management

Improve the pay structure to better reflect the knowledge base required for a lot of the roles or risk losing your better staff to other companies and IFA's.

31 Jan 2018 – Group CEO

Thanks for submitting your review. It’s clear that you like a lot about the culture at Royal London but you are disappointed with your pay. As you’ll know from last year’s roadshows we are putting a... More

"Internal policy does not mirror external profile on promoting women"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmslow, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmslow, England

I have been working at Royal London full-time

Pros

Laptop software is good to work from home easily and having the flexibility to do so one day per week

Cons

I have been encouraged by the number of public initiatives Royal London has signed up for to support women in the workplace. However I have not seen any steps internally to mirror the public image the company is portraying.

Firstly, the maternity policy is not competitive. Other insurance companies like Aviva have invested in parental leave giving women 6 months paid maternity leave and equalising the benefit for men if they wish to split the child care. I felt forced to return to work sooner than I was ready due to financial strain. This does not encourage women to stay with the company long term.

I also asked if there was a mentor or service I could work with on returning to work after maternity leave. It was a big change coming back when I was previously someone who took any project and could work any hours to deliver. I then found that juggling work and personal life had to change and I wanted to speak with someone who could offer support and advice to make sure I was able to still progress in my role and be a mother at the same time. I was told that no support was on offer like this but it was a ‘nice idea and it was a shame it didn’t’. To me this is a free service as there must be other mothers in the company that would be happy to pair up with returning women to share their experiences.

It feels like Royal London want to portray themselves as being family friendly externally but they do not want to put their money and practices into supporting women internally. They are just paying lip service to developing women. If a company like Aviva can pay women a decent maternity package, why can’t Royal London?

Advice to Management

Practice internally what you preach externally

25 Jan 2018 – Group CEO

Thanks for taking the time to write and post your review. I have a lot of sympathy with your view that our maternity policy needs reviewing but I think that you are unfair / mistaken to then infer... More

"notice period"

I have been working at Royal London full-time

Pros

benefits, pension, the people and the environment

Cons

managerial attitude and toilet facilities.

Advice to Management

be careful in what you say around certain people. some people may get offended by repeated suicide jokes. this experience completely disheartened me and made me weary of speaking to my manager at all and ultimately was my driving decision to leave.

31 Jan 2018 – Group CEO

Thanks for posting your review. It’s good to know that you rated our culture and remuneration package. But to be honest I found it a little difficult to fathom from your comments what has gone on... More

11. "RL"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Royal London full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balanced, Good Culture,

Cons

Large amount of contractors employed

25 Jan 2018 – Group CEO

Thanks for taking the time to submit your rating of Royal London. Good to know that you like our culture and work / life balance. The number of contractors simply reflects our ambitious change agenda... More