Royal London Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 15 October 2017

Full-timePart-time

4.3

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The flexible working enables employees to have a great work life balance whether that's to help with family life or enable you to achieve other goals (in 10 reviews)

• Staff are friendly, positive and motivated and there is a relaxed working environment (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • From senior management down recruitment seems to be what's easier not what is best for the business (in 5 reviews)

• Large company so suggestions for your own branch must go through them - as with any (in 3 reviews)

1. "Exciting and forward thinking"

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Royal London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with Royal London for almost a year now and have joined at a time of great change. Royal London are really embracing Agile, and backing that up with training and support. The people are friendly and supportive.

Cons

There are still remnants of old ways of thinking and working, and the IT is woefully behind. And as a UX designer I'm expected to work with a limited toolset and have no access to the actual users I'm supposed to be designing for, so it feels frustrating at times. Designs decisions are being made by those who think they know what the user needs rather than letting me do my job and finding out what that actually is. I often work on designs on my own PC at home as I have the software I need to get the job done but its not ideal. Change takes time.

Advice to Management

I think you are doing an amazing job, it's a huge change for the organisation so I'm completely supportive and understand it will take time and will be frustrating for a while. But hopefully you can give people the tools they need to do their job.

16 Oct 2017 – Group CEO

Firstly thanks for completing this review and I am so glad that you have joined us at this crucial time, bringing your skills and experience to help us to make the change to an agile organisation. I... More

2. "Great company"

I have been working at Royal London full-time

Pros

Very flexible company to work for & the external pressures aren’t too great

Cons

The work life balance is sometimes hard to maintain due to rapid growth

10 Oct 2017 – Group CEO

Thanks for taking the time to submit your review. It’s good to know that you are enjoying working at Royal London. We are certainly busy as we look to maintain our growth and we will keep working to... More

3. "Highly recommend"

I have been working at Royal London full-time

Pros

Royal London is very welcoming and inclusive. In the year I've been there I've felt part of a team, from senior management down. It's a great environment to work in, friendly and empowering.
    I think the size of the company, not too big or small, means you get the best of both worlds, investment in people and processes and still feel you have a voice and can make a difference.

Cons

I've seen mention the technology which is true in my area, there is work to be done but it is a focus and something to be apart of rectifying.
    I've given less stars for remuneration and benefits but having worked in London I was surprised at just how big the pay gap is coming to Edinburgh, may not just be Royal London.

Advice to Management

It's great that the leaders are visible and approachable. I hope as we grow that it remains the same.

5 Oct 2017 – Group CEO

Thanks for taking the time to submit your review and it’s good to know that you are enjoying your experience of working for Royal London. It’s natural to wonder whether our growth will undermine our... More

5. "Overall a great company to work for!"

Pros

A great company to work for. Colleagues are very friendly and collaboration in and across the teams are encouraged. The company offer flexible and remote working. Great technology to enable meetings with colleagues in different locations. Regular social events are organised and communication is good through updates team meetings, on the hub, email, roadshows.

Cons

Company undergoing a lot of change and keeping up with all the changes is sometimes a challenge. Minor point re parking at the main office where spaces are limited and contractors are asked to park off site. Although I believe this is being looked into, and a minibus service to the local train station is available.

13 Oct 2017 – Group CEO

Thanks for making the time to write and submit this review. It’s good to know that you are enjoying your experience of working for Royal London. I note your comment about parking. It’s not clear from... More

6. "Be wary"

Former Employee - Procurement Consultant in Wilmslow, England
    Former Employee - Procurement Consultant in Wilmslow, England

I worked at Royal London full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bonus scheme, Relaxed attitude, on site catering.

Cons

Poor senior direction, disjointed company

5 Oct 2017 – Group CEO

Thanks for your comments. It’s a fair criticism - we didn’t get our strategy and approach right for the procurement team first time round and so I understand why you are wary. We now have a new... More

7. "Best Move I Made!"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Royal London full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic culture centred around People and Customer - clear commitment to support employees to deliver the best outcomes for the Customer with a focus upon personal development and autonomy for all.

Cons

Not new - but only downside is the technology. However these are known issues and much work is taking place to improve in this area. It takes time.

Advice to Management

Keep the communication coming, in the area I work it's regular, relevant and clear.

18 Sep 2017 – Group CEO

Thanks very much for taking the time to write this review. It's good to know that you are enjoying your experience of working at Royal London. Thanks for your contribution to our success.

8. "Glad I joined!"

Current Employee - Consultant in Wilmslow, England
    Current Employee - Consultant in Wilmslow, England

I have been working at Royal London part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Royal London is a very welcoming and friendly company.
    It is the third place I have worked and I can say without doubt that it is the most empowering. It places trust in its staff to do the job.
    For me the commute is short which is an additional benefit.
    I have been made welcome and find the staff friendly and approachable.
    I asked to change my hours not long after I started and was pleasantly surprised at the response I received on this which was speedy and positive - they are very accommodating and want their staff to be happy.
    There is a subsidised canteen and very pleasant grounds as well as a minibus between the office and the local railway station.
    The pension scheme offers a generous matching contribution and the annual leave entitlement is generous for a new starter.
    There has been a barbecue for the staff in the summer as well as treats like pizza and ice cream so keep us all going when we are especially busy or the sun decided to shine.
    I am happy to be here.

Cons

Don't think they offer the most competitive salaries.
    As with all big companies there are sometimes communication issues but these are limited compared to my experience with previous employers.

Advice to Management

You are doing a good job but see if you can iron out the communication issues.

2 Oct 2017 – Group CEO

Thanks very much for taking the time to complete this review and it’s good to hear that you are enjoying your experience of Royal London so far. As a relatively new starter you may find it useful to... More

9. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Scrum Master in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Scrum Master in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Royal London full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great people who are driven to do the best they can to deliver the outcomes
    - Great atmosphere, everyone feels their voices are heard and listened to
    - Relaxed! Having come from another Financial company the working life here is far more relaxed and customer focused

Cons

- Technology, there are so many improvements that can be made to make this an awesome place to work
    - Red tape, there does appear to be quite a lot

Advice to Management

- Keep treating your staff like the competent adults they are
    - If you're going to pay for consultants etc listen to them (middle management especially) if you don't you're just wasting money.

2 Oct 2017 – Group CEO

Thanks very much for taking the time to submit this review. As a scrum master in our new agile teams your role is really important to our success so if your finding it a challenge to get the change... More

10. "All good"

Pros

excellent motivation, good work ethic, regular reviews

Cons

bad computer systems, lack of adequate toilet facilities

14 Sep 2017 – Group CEO

Thanks for submitting your review and I'm glad that you enjoyed your experience of working at Royal London. As you'll be aware we are well into programmes to refurbish our older premises and to... More

11. "Doesn't care about its people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Royal London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice colleagues/people. Good holiday allowance. Good charity initiatives.

Cons

Culture issues within the management of the sales and marketing teams in asset management (gossiping, favouritism). Company trying to save money at the expense of the working environment of its people. Substandard/lack of suitable working space and facilities. Meeting room shortages. Staff have to stand up in meetings, not a good way to treat your staff. People don't have their own desks. Company is continuing to hire people but has no where to put them. As in another review, lack of suitable toilet facilities. But before the ceo pops up saying the office is being refurbished, it has already been refurbished and it hasn't helped!!

Advice to Management

Management should lead by example.

26 Sep 2017 – Group CEO

Thanks for taking the time to submit your review. If you are not happy with the culture in your team then I advise you to raise it with your manager so that she / he has the chance to address the... More