Royal London Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Royal London Reviews

Updated 7 December 2018

4.3

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work culture which gives us good work/life balance" (in 23 reviews)

• "The flexible working enables employees to have a great work life balance whether that's to help with family life or enable you to achieve other goals" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "I think we can find more ways of extracting these ideas so that they are heard by senior management e" (in 8 reviews)

• "Flexible working culture not fully embedded" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Enjoyable work environment"

Current Employee - Customer Service Consultant in Wilmslow, England
    Current Employee - Customer Service Consultant in Wilmslow, England

I have been working at Royal London full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Friendly staff
    - Good work environment
    - there seems to be a lot of room for progression
    - informative with what they are teaching

Cons

I wouldn’t say this is something negative.
    There is a lot of information to learn especially if you never worked in this industry.
    Nothing up to now.

Advice to Management

N/a

10 Dec 2018 – Group CEO

Thanks for taking the time to post your review and it’s good to know that you are enjoying your experience of working for Royal London. Best wishes for your future career with us.

2. "Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Project Manager/Scrum Master in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Project Manager/Scrum Master in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Royal London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly - good people, lots of company activities, training, events etc. Emphasis is more on being a good team player than being proficient at your job. Most people who come across as 'nice' will ace an interview for this place.

Laid Back - rarely is there any pressure or hurry - very few people in early or working late. Massive tolerance for ineptitude - as long as you're nice that is. Lots of nice people being nice to each other, and very little output in comparison to just about every other place I have worked.

Easy - the work is generally unchallenging and easy to do.

Cons

Chaotic - management have a chummy, friendly attitude to managing activities, so formal structures are absent. Most people have been there for a long time, so don't really notice it any more.

Political - lots of scope for small fiefdoms and ant-hill empires to emerge where big egos get the opportunity to take over.

HR Processes - The review process is exhaustive and over bearing so a cottage industry of reviews and assessments takes up about 10% of all people's time. Add to that the other 10% in courses and jollies, and the average time spent on work is about 4 days a week.

Amateurish - lack of professional rigour due to the idea that they always know best.

Pay - lots of people have been leaving recently as they are getting much better deals elsewhare

Advice to Management

You have a very difficult job to do - the whole place is changing and lots of people are no longer buying into the 'we are all one big happy family' ethos any more. The amount of work being asked of folks isn't (I don't think) excessive, but it is far more than they have been used to and they are leaving to pastures new.

10 Dec 2018 – Group CEO

Thanks for taking the time to submit your review. You are working in an area of the business that is looking to embed agile ways of working. That is a major cultural change but I’m not sure... More

3. "Greatr place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Royal London full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

True flexible working
    Feeling like you belong and being owned by our members means we can focus on what's best for them not faceless shareholders.
    A focus on personal development
    A clear strategy that we are all behind

Cons

Nothing significant enough to state

Advice to Management

Keep driving us forward

6 Dec 2018 – Group CEO

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and it’s great to know that you are having a good experience of working for Royal London. Thanks for all that you are contributing towards our success.

4. "Caring company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmslow, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmslow, England

I have been working at Royal London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started as a contractor with Royal London and I liked it so much I applied for a permanent post when one came up. I have been working for many years and have had lots of experience of other organisations, and they all have applaudable mission and vision statements, but few actually meet them, or even try to, in a lot of cases. I have to say RL genuinely strives to meet and exceed customers expectations and really do care about the staff, and you don't get the feeling it's all about making money as with other private sector employers, which is good, and makes for a different working environment. I'll be happy to stay here for the rest of my working life!

Cons

Nothing particular - there are issues with some outdated systems, but even that is being addressed but isn't going to happen overnight.

5 Dec 2018 – Group CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. It’s great to have you as part of our team and thanks for all that you are contributing towards our success.

5. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Service Team Manager in Wilmslow, England
    Current Employee - Customer Service Team Manager in Wilmslow, England

I have been working at Royal London full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

RL is a great place to work, I have worked there almost 40 years and started in Manchester, Oxford Road. The overall package is good and the people I work with are great. Always tries to deliver the best outcomes for all our customers. They genuinely listen to customer feedback.

Cons

Work life balance isn’t great, but that is as a result of how successful we have become.

3 Dec 2018 – Group CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on working for Royal London. It’s good to know that you are enjoying the experience. We will keep working on our demand and capacity forecasting to... More

6. "Royal London - A great Company and great place to work"

Current Employee - Facilities Coordinator in Bath, England
    Current Employee - Facilities Coordinator in Bath, England

I have been working at Royal London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very inclusive
    Work/Life balance genuinely matters to Management
    Salary good in comparison to similar companies
    Benefits are excellent
    People are fab
    Ethos is excellent
    Culture and Values are superb

Cons

I really cannot think of anything negative to say

Advice to Management

Continue to keep doing what you are doing and attracting more excellent staff to add to those you have.

30 Nov 2018 – Group CEO

Many thanks for taking the time to share your review. It’s great to know that you are enjoying your experience of Royal London. Thanks for all that you contribute to our success.

7. "Genuinely pleasant place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Royal London full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The culture is inclusive and friendly
    - Genuine company wide desire to improve experience for our customers
    - Strong benefits package

Cons

- The friendly culture can lead to people being slightly too 'nice' making honest conversations tricky at times. However, there is work ongoing to improve the use of feedback both positive and constructive.

Advice to Management

Continue to respect and empower your employees.

8 Oct 2018 – Group CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. It’s good to hear that you are enjoying your experience with Royal London.

"Disappointed by archaic IT systems, bureaucracy & resistance to change"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmslow, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmslow, England

I worked at Royal London full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For me working at Royal London was very appealing, great location outside of Manchester city centre, sound senior leadership, solid business performance, flexible working opportunities.

Cons

Systems and processes are archaic which inhibits more efficient ways of working. This is a company that is slow to change ( it's like trying to redirect a supertanker) & very bureaucratic with many layers of approval required before a change can be implemented. Leadership talk about welcoming ideas & improved ways of working but I experienced some people "at the coal face" resistant to change. Elitist attitude also displayed by some staff.

There is much talk about flexible working but the reality for me was that due to there being so much work (because of the outdated systems and bureaucracy) it was impossible for me to get the flexibility I needed.

Advice to Management

IT systems must be improved then processes redesigned based on new system capabilities not old ways of working. Address resistance to change.

9 Nov 2018 – Group CEO

Thanks for sharing your review and I’m sorry that you didn’t enjoy your short stay at Royal London. I note that you were with us for less than a year but I hope that you made it along to our... More

9. "Good company"

I have been working at Royal London full-time

Pros

generally a good company to work for with a relaxed atmosphere and a good work life balance

Cons

managerial differences in department/ functions can be quite stark

17 Oct 2018 – Group CEO

Thanks for posting your thoughts and it’s good to know that you are enjoying your time at Royal London. The inconsistent leadership capability that you point to is a fair observation and a legacy of... More

10. "Royal London"

Current Employee - Case Manager in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Royal London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work, supportive managers and emphasis on development.

Cons

Needs to be more money spent on tech and recruitment.

14 Oct 2018 – Group CEO

Many thanks for taking the time to write and share your review. It’s good to know that overall you are enjoying your experience of working for Royal London. We are spending over £600m on replacing... More