Rue Gilt Groupe Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.3
Rue Gilt Groupe CEO Mark McWeeny
Mark McWeeny

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Awesome culture/work-life balance" (in 20 reviews)

• "Fun, collaborative, fast paced, never two days alike" (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • "As with any department that you are building up, work-life balance can get a little skewed" (in 27 reviews)

• "Can sometimes be stressful but you'll like it if you enjoy a fast paced environment" (in 14 reviews)

1. "Customer Service"

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time

Pros

Excellent company to work for

Cons

Didn't have any, excellent company

Advice to Management

Keep it up

"Very Good Leadership, Very Challenging Business Segment.."

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time

Pros

The People: Rue has some of the hardest working people in the Boston area. Yes, the workforce in general is rather young, however they are consistently able to rally to the challenge of the ever changing fashion world and e-commerce challenges.

The Technology, I worked at Rue in the Technology group for almost three years and whiles it's easy to point out challenges and negatives I would say many people overlook the opportunities that exists. Rue spends a great deal of money on Technology and tools to ensure they have a platform that can be scaled. Do they have some Tech debt from decisions that were made long long ago? Yes of course, not many companies these days don't have any tech debt. From the moment I walked in the door at Rue, it was very clear it had all of the ingredients for success (Money, Technology, Leadership, Empowerment).

With all of that said, Rue is certainly not for everyone. Rue is faced paced, they are constantly trying to navigate the ever changing retail marketplace and yes they are even sometimes making decisions in the moment that can be second guessed and criticized by others at a later point. Let's be honest, this is a company that has grown dramatically in the last 10 years and they are constantly trying to grow and gain market share. With this aggressive mindset, you are bound to make wrong decisions, which by the way is perfectly acceptable in my mind and part of the process. I would rather make a decision and fail and learn, then not make a decision and see opportunity pass by being risk adverse.

Mindset: Yes as I mentioned before Rue has a large appetite for change and growth. Sometimes that appetite is larger than what the business can handle, however I would take that appetite any day over a company that has no ability to grow or reinvest.

This is a young company that has large aspirations, you will only succeed here if you are open minded, patient and full of energy and commitment to make things better. This also includes the ability to pivot on a regular basis, as the retail marketplace changes often and pushes retail businesses into hyper go mode.

Leadership: Yes, like any company Rue has some very strong leaders and some leaders that could use an upgrade, however starting at the top of the chain the CEO is one of the best guys around. I interacted with him almost on a daily basis and for a few months I reported directly to him. He is very approachable, open-minded, practical and a forward thinker. By far one of the best CEO’s I have worked for and I have worked for a bunch from small start up’s to fortune 500 companies. They have a new CTO who is extremely bright, brings good energy and progressive thinking. The CFO is a stand up guys, who has been at Rue in multiple positions for 12+ years. He knows the business and the marketplace very well and his new role as CFO is a great fit.

Overall, very good place to work if you have the right mindset and you embrace a little chaos and a large opportunity to succeed. I would certainly still be working at Rue if a life changing opportunity did not present itself. Even with that choice, it was a very tough place to leave.

Cons

* Tough Business Segment, good bit of competition in this "Flash Sales" business space.
    * Yes, it's Boston, so parking a high and place for lunch are limited, however that comes with working downtown. With that being said, it's very close to South Station so commuting is very easy.
    * Challenging area to hire good talent, as the Tech market in Boston is very hot and it's hard to recruit. However this is an issue that other companies in Boston face as well.

3. "Yessir"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Shepherdsville, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Shepherdsville, KY (US)

I have been working at Rue Gilt Groupe part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It has good pay in my opinion

Cons

Long hours and don’t schedule well

Advice to Management

Be more chill.

4. "Fun place to work"

Former Employee - Attorney in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Attorney in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Passionate and smart people who want to do right by the company

Cons

Difficult business to make work

5. "Enjoyed working here"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time

Pros

coworkers were great, benefits, nice office

Cons

commute was a little long

"Cannibalistic culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They try to do events geared toward employee engagement such as “surprise and delight.” There’s some flexibility to work from home as needed.

Cons

The cons far outweigh the pros. Senior management is reliably disengenuous; there is little to no transparency, and the company is notorious for cannibalizing initiatives or departments that it randomly decides to write off as dispensable. There is blatant favoritism toward some tenured employees in cushy positions.

Advice to Management

Don’t just preach your values, learn to practice them with integrity. Treat your employees with respect and courtesy - not just your favored ones, but everyone (else) who continues to be overworked, underpaid, and under-appreciated.

"Don't waste your time"

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time

Pros

The culture overall is really great, to name a few of the good aspects: the people, surprise and delights, regular company parties, bagel Fridays, and samples sales (even though they barely exist anymore). However, they rely on this WAY too much.

Cons

To name a few:

1. The company has been focused on cutting costs since the economy came out of the recession and it has been harder to get good product. With this mindset the only piece that they focus on is how to save money and to be profitable. As a direct result, they pay far below industry standard. IF you ever get a promotion, it is less than mediocre and then you have to wait years for another promotion.

2. I don’t think I fully grasped how little they cared about employee and career development until I came to a company that truly values it. I spent 3+ years at Rue and although I can say I did learn and grow at least a little, I felt like it stunted my career growth more than anything.

3. HR is unreliable, the turnover that happens on that team is laughable. How can you expect anything to be improved when even they don’t stay on the team long enough to do so? Also, what is the point of exit interviews if you don’t do anything with the information. I have a lot of friends that still worked here long after myself and nothing ever changes.

Advice to Management

Even though I know this will fall on deaf ears, figure out a way to make your employees feel valued and empowered in their careers. If you do this it will be a lot less in turnover cost in the long run!

8. "Decent company to work for"

Current Employee - Technology
    Current Employee - Technology

I have been working at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company seem to be growing and they continue to implement new ideas to grow in a competitive e-commerce industry. Culture and people have been great for me so far. Offer many avenue to improve your skills via training.

Cons

Compensation in tech seem to be ok. Benefits especially 401k can be improved, 50% for 4% is really low these days. A fitness center at work also would help with workers health and busy lifestyle.

Advice to Management

Improve the employee benefits and perks to match market standards.

"Good not Great"

Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- good work life balance for some roles
    - Bagel Friday's
    - Decent benefits, health care is a bit expensive. 401K match is non-existent.

Cons

- Company is so focused on saving money to be profitable that the pay is far below industry average across the board. Buyers get little to no bonuses. Tech is severely underpaid and overwhelmed.
    - Company claims to always give employees the best benefits like unlimited vacation. This seems like a nice perk when you first hear it. But was another example of RGG saving money instead of having to payoff accrued vacation days when there is heavy turnover. Good luck ever getting that time off approved anyway! Long time employees lost weeks of PTO with this change.
    - Next to impossible to get promoted. Don't come here to advance your career.
    - Middle management is awful. Instead of hiring management from outside look internally at your talent for those positions. Bringing people in who are not educated on the industry is a bad idea.
    - Heavy turnover rate because of pay and management
    - Unrealistic goals set for teams. Year over year numbers have been declining but goals keep increasing for teams.
    - The site needs to adapt to the time and become more intuitive. Obvious issues with operations that don't get fixed.
    - Internal tech systems very outdated.
    - Departments need to start working together. Too many teams out of loop
    - They'll sell you on their culture, but HR department doesn't do much to help when serious issues and complaints come up. I've known quite a few people leave because of their bosses

Advice to Management

- Pay your employees more. It should be obvious by now that this is the number one reason for turnover. The inequality in pay between management and associates is astronomical. Tech and other positions are leaving every month for hire paying roles in the industry.
    - HR needs to start listening to employees complaints instead of worrying about the next company lunch party
    - Need to stop running the same brands and offers every other week to the customers. Signs of saturation are becoming obvious.
    - Set more realistic goals for the teams.

10. "Good company"

Former Employee - Buyer
    Former Employee - Buyer

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time

Pros

Co-workers, benefits, work perks, volunteer days/hours

Cons

overall, good company to work for