Rue Gilt Groupe Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.3
Rue Gilt Groupe CEO Mark McWeeny
Mark McWeeny

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Awesome culture/work-life balance" (in 20 reviews)

• "Fun, collaborative, fast paced, never two days alike" (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • "As with any department that you are building up, work-life balance can get a little skewed" (in 27 reviews)

• "Can sometimes be stressful but you'll like it if you enjoy a fast paced environment" (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Designer"

I have been working at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time

Pros

You get great benefits and the office has a lot of fun extra things they do like bagel fridays and massages!

Cons

There are none! Working there is an awesome experience

2. "Customer Service"

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time

Pros

Excellent company to work for

Cons

Didn't have any, excellent company

Advice to Management

Keep it up

"Very Good Leadership, Very Challenging Business Segment.."

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time

Pros

The People: Rue has some of the hardest working people in the Boston area. Yes, the workforce in general is rather young, however they are consistently able to rally to the challenge of the ever changing fashion world and e-commerce challenges.

The Technology, I worked at Rue in the Technology group for almost three years and whiles it's easy to point out challenges and negatives I would say many people overlook the opportunities that exists. Rue spends a great deal of money on Technology and tools to ensure they have a platform that can be scaled. Do they have some Tech debt from decisions that were made long long ago? Yes of course, not many companies these days don't have any tech debt. From the moment I walked in the door at Rue, it was very clear it had all of the ingredients for success (Money, Technology, Leadership, Empowerment).

With all of that said, Rue is certainly not for everyone. Rue is faced paced, they are constantly trying to navigate the ever changing retail marketplace and yes they are even sometimes making decisions in the moment that can be second guessed and criticized by others at a later point. Let's be honest, this is a company that has grown dramatically in the last 10 years and they are constantly trying to grow and gain market share. With this aggressive mindset, you are bound to make wrong decisions, which by the way is perfectly acceptable in my mind and part of the process. I would rather make a decision and fail and learn, then not make a decision and see opportunity pass by being risk adverse.

Mindset: Yes as I mentioned before Rue has a large appetite for change and growth. Sometimes that appetite is larger than what the business can handle, however I would take that appetite any day over a company that has no ability to grow or reinvest.

This is a young company that has large aspirations, you will only succeed here if you are open minded, patient and full of energy and commitment to make things better. This also includes the ability to pivot on a regular basis, as the retail marketplace changes often and pushes retail businesses into hyper go mode.

Leadership: Yes, like any company Rue has some very strong leaders and some leaders that could use an upgrade, however starting at the top of the chain the CEO is one of the best guys around. I interacted with him almost on a daily basis and for a few months I reported directly to him. He is very approachable, open-minded, practical and a forward thinker. By far one of the best CEO’s I have worked for and I have worked for a bunch from small start up’s to fortune 500 companies. They have a new CTO who is extremely bright, brings good energy and progressive thinking. The CFO is a stand up guys, who has been at Rue in multiple positions for 12+ years. He knows the business and the marketplace very well and his new role as CFO is a great fit.

Overall, very good place to work if you have the right mindset and you embrace a little chaos and a large opportunity to succeed. I would certainly still be working at Rue if a life changing opportunity did not present itself. Even with that choice, it was a very tough place to leave.

Cons

* Tough Business Segment, good bit of competition in this "Flash Sales" business space.
    * Yes, it's Boston, so parking a high and place for lunch are limited, however that comes with working downtown. With that being said, it's very close to South Station so commuting is very easy.
    * Challenging area to hire good talent, as the Tech market in Boston is very hot and it's hard to recruit. However this is an issue that other companies in Boston face as well.

4. "Good employee focus"

I have been working at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time

Pros

Interested in maintaining a place that's fun and easy to work

Cons

People not as passionate about what they're doing, so not as much professional growth opportunities as other companies.

"Beware!"

Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Convenient location (seaport), bagel Friday's, casual dress

Cons

No opportunity for advancement, have NEVER heard of anyone getting a raise for any reason, no salary adjustments on top of already underpaid associates, long and unrewarding hours, horrible management culture, useless HR team, management will do everything in their power to withhold your 401k match and referral bonus' upon you giving your notice!

Advice to Management

PROSPECTIVE EMPLOYEES TAKE NOTICE: First and foremost - when employees are telling you they feel like they are being tormented, berated, and treated disrespectfully, it might be worthwhile to have HR step in. Teams were sequestered in a room with a manager they had complained about - only to be berated by that manager and told they are "all replaceable." Where are your employee protections? If you are going to constantly berate your associates while expecting them to work weekends and late nights, why not provide the benefits that go along with that? Employees, especially at the associate level, should not be expected to work weekends and nights consistently unless they are being paid fairly and RGG is footing their cell and internet bills. Most other companies offer this without the expectation of being online 24/7. CONTRACTORS: stay away for this exact reason - they will pay you hourly and not approve already worked OT...They won't even allow you to enjoy the regular "perks" such as Summer Friday's or team outings. You will be expected to be at the office working while the rest of your team is out to lunch. Literally.

It seems you are feeling the results of these reviews -as you can barely get any qualified prospects in to backfill the number of employees who have quit this year. Why not take action and put some of that effort into keeping your current talent? Seems like that is a better financial solution long term... You see employees as disposable instead of an asset, and because of that outlook the business is suffering.

And to HR: please do not try to save face on Glassdoor by responding - we all know you post responses and never take any action. All of these complaints have been in the hands of your HR directors for months now - why bother responding to this post if you can't even respond to your own employees?

6. "Growing, fast-paced company"

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting, challenging work
    Benefits
    Helpful colleagues
    Approachable senior leadership
    Fun place to work

Cons

Fast-paced environment might not be for everyone
    Onboarding and training could be better; currently not very structured

Advice to Management

Continue investing in your employees and being transparent

7. "Good place to work"

I have been working at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time

Pros

Adequate time between calls to finish notes

Cons

Needed to speak with Americans 99% of the time

Advice to Management

Stock the fridge with soft drinks for night shift

8. "Customer Service"

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time

Pros

Opportunity to work with great people

Cons

Salaries paid not the most competitive

9. "RGG is all about their employees!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shepherdsville, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shepherdsville, KY (US)

I have been working at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rue Gilt Groupe is an amazing place to work. They put their employees first in everything. We have so many fun food days, family days, catered lunches, and special events to show their appreciation. They are forward thinking, always looking to improve and drive us further. There's tons of growth happening now and will continue into the future.

Cons

We've recently merged two great brands and we're still working to iron out our processes.

10. "Fine"

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe part-time

Pros

young working environment, discounts, good location

Cons

micromanagement, angry customers, lack of support from supervisors