Rue Gilt Groupe Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.2
Rue Gilt Groupe CEO Mark McWeeny
Mark McWeeny
Pros
Cons
  • "You do not practice you own core values Since buying Gilt you have kicked some of your best worker in the teeth to make room some(in 31 reviews)

• "There is no work-life balance in the BP department(in 27 reviews)

1. "Customer Service"

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time

Pros

Excellent company to work for

Cons

Didn't have any, excellent company

Advice to Management

Keep it up

Rue Gilt Groupe2017-03-15

"Very Good Leadership, Very Challenging Business Segment.."

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time

Pros

The People: Rue has some of the hardest working people in the Boston area. Yes, the workforce in general is rather young, however they are consistently able to rally to the challenge of the ever changing fashion world and e-commerce challenges. The Technology, I worked at Rue in the Technology group for almost three years and whiles it's easy to point out challenges and negatives I would say many people overlook... the opportunities that exists. Rue spends a great deal of money on Technology and tools to ensure they have a platform that can be scaled. Do they have some Tech debt from decisions that were made long long ago? Yes of course, not many companies these days don't have any tech debt. From the moment I walked in the door at Rue, it was very clear it had all of the ingredients for success (Money, Technology, Leadership, Empowerment). With all of that said, Rue is certainly not for everyone. Rue is faced paced, they are constantly trying to navigate the ever changing retail marketplace and yes they are even sometimes making decisions in the moment that can be second guessed and criticized by others at a later point. Let's be honest, this is a company that has grown dramatically in the last 10 years and they are constantly trying to grow and gain market share. With this aggressive mindset, you are bound to make wrong decisions, which by the way is perfectly acceptable in my mind and part of the process. I would rather make a decision and fail and learn, then not make a decision and see opportunity pass by being risk adverse. Mindset: Yes as I mentioned before Rue has a large appetite for change and growth. Sometimes that appetite is larger than what the business can handle, however I would take that appetite any day over a company that has no ability to grow or reinvest. This is a young company that has large aspirations, you will only succeed here if you are open minded, patient and full of energy and commitment to make things better. This also includes the ability to pivot on a regular basis, as the retail marketplace changes often and pushes retail businesses into hyper go mode. Leadership: Yes, like any company Rue has some very strong leaders and some leaders that could use an upgrade, however starting at the top of the chain the CEO is one of the best guys around. I interacted with him almost on a daily basis and for a few months I reported directly to him. He is very approachable, open-minded, practical and a forward thinker. By far one of the best CEO’s I have worked for and I have worked for a bunch from small start up’s to fortune 500 companies. They have a new CTO who is extremely bright, brings good energy and progressive thinking. The CFO is a stand up guys, who has been at Rue in multiple positions for 12+ years. He knows the business and the marketplace very well and his new role as CFO is a great fit. Overall, very good place to work if you have the right mindset and you embrace a little chaos and a large opportunity to succeed. I would certainly still be working at Rue if a life changing opportunity did not present itself. Even with that choice, it was a very tough place to leave.

Cons

* Tough Business Segment, good bit of competition in this "Flash Sales" business space. * Yes, it's Boston, so parking a high and place for lunch are limited, however that comes with working downtown. With that being said, it's very close to South Station so commuting is very easy. * Challenging area to hire good talent, as the Tech market in Boston is very hot and it's hard to recruit. However this is an issue... that other companies in Boston face as well.

Rue Gilt Groupe2016-04-14
  3. "Great company"

Former Employee - Receiving in Shepherdsville, KY

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy work for a factory, pay was decent, a lot of opportunities to advance in company, lunch was provided once or twice a month.

Cons

i couldn’t say there are any

Rue Gilt Groupe2019-09-04

"Service needs a lot of work"

Former Employee - Personal Stylist

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe part-time for less than a year

Pros

Was able to work from home which is a plus if you are a self starter. Management did a great job at making us feel like a team even though we worked remotely. Coworkers are really nice and always willing to help.

Cons

The turnover rate is pretty high. The top stylists are treated differently than the rest of the pack (get more top tier clients etc). A system that keeps top stylists at the top and the rest of the stylists scrambling to try and make things work with the clients they have. There are a lot of issues with the way this service is structured (some are pretty obvious). Firing people every other month won’t fix it.

Advice to Management

Stop using stylists as scapegoats and focus on implementing changes to the service that may actually give it a fighting chance at longevity.

Rue Gilt Groupe2019-09-11
  5. "I love working at RGG"

Current Employee - Director in Shepherdsville, KY

I have been working at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are great! Company focuses on the people and member experience. They truly live the values of the company: Passionate, Innovative, Collaborative, Kind, Empowered, and Tenacious.

Cons

Business is sometimes unpredictable but company is tenacious and responds.

Rue Gilt Groupe2019-08-27
  6. "Challenging & Rewarding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time for less than a year

Pros

RGG is overall a great place to work. I feel that I am always collaborating with people who are smarter than me and challenge me to perform at my best. I am always given the tools to succeed and associates, for the most part, are very dedicated and passionate around what they do. The culture and the people that I get to work with every day are the best part of working here!

Cons

There are many changes happening with the business currently and it can cause a frantic/fast-paced environment for associates. While this can be a negative, it also can provide great growth and development opps for those that enjoy a faced-past, pivoting and thinking-on-your-feet work environment.

Rue Gilt Groupe2019-08-27

"Don’t ignore the reviews!"

Former Employee - Analyst
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time

Pros

Flexible time off

Cons

Everything, please listen to the other reviews. It is not worth taking a job here to get out of another job - that’s what I did and I was miserable for years. The place is run so poorly. The high level management does not care about the employees holding the company on their back. To them you are indispensable. You will work tirelessly for a company that is not willing and not in a place to make the changes they... need to make in order to be successful. The compensation is LAUGHABLE and you will work for almost nothing (don’t rely on raises as you will not receive much of one)

Advice to Management

Reevaluate EVERYTHING and treat your employees as people instead of looking at them like numbers. DO NOT WORK HERE

Rue Gilt Groupe2019-09-12

"Challenging & Rewarding"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

work is challenging, culture is great, leadership is strong

Cons

Sometimes there's a good amount of work to be done with a limited time frame but it's good stress to help the company move forward.

Advice to Management

Keep being open on all the initiatives that are taking place.

Rue Gilt Groupe2019-07-31
  9. "Good Work Life Balance"

Former Employee - Merchandising Specialist

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Work Life Balance enviroment

Cons

little career development help from management

Rue Gilt Groupe2019-08-13

"Failing Leadership"

Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

RGG has recently added flexible time off - but are still stingy about this. Yes -we get "unlimited" days off - but don't go over 15 days or else you will be on the chopping block!

Cons

Low pay, horrible middle management - and even worse leadership team.

Advice to Management

The business has not been able to course-correct through the Gilt acquisition - yet leadership seems unconcerned. Much of middle-management has been laid off this year, and our leaders have remained silent. If you are the CEO going through an acquisition - communicate with your people. Much of the company is searching for a way out before it is too late, as we all see the writing on the wall - a failing business.... Our CFO has a one-track mind and forces change and directs workflow blindly, not actually understanding how a minor change has a mighty ripple effect through the company. Our CEO seems entirely checked-out, I actually don't even remember the last time he was in the office. Even when he is in the office he is unapproachable. The HR team doesn't seem to understand the purpose of their jobs: when asked why leadership hasn't stepped up as leaders this year- HR's response was that "they haven't said anything because there is nothing to say." Let me key you in on a little secret: a good leader should always have something to say. This company is driving itself directly off of a bridge with no guard rails! Advice to management: listen to your people - stop ignoring us!

Rue Gilt Groupe2019-08-30

Rue Gilt Groupe Response

September 5, 2019Chief People Officer

Thank you for your direct feedback. I am taking your advice and would love to speak with you directly in order to be able to address your concerns and hopefully improve your experience. Please reach out so that we can meet.

Found 479 reviews