Rue Gilt Groupe Reviews

Updated 12 Sep 2020

Rue Gilt Groupe CEO Mark McWeeny
Mark McWeeny
Pros
  • "Extremely fast paced and a lot can be learned while in your role(in 35 reviews)

• "Great people, good company culture(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • "Everything - not since gilt acquirement(in 32 reviews)

• "Work life balance is self-driven, you need to be your own advocate which can be tough at times(in 28 reviews)

1. "Customer Service"

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time

Pros

Excellent company to work for

Cons

Didn't have any, excellent company

Continue reading

"Very Good Leadership, Very Challenging Business Segment.."

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time

Pros

The People: Rue has some of the hardest working people in the Boston area. Yes, the workforce in general is rather young, however they are consistently able to rally to the challenge of the ever changing fashion world and e-commerce challenges. The Technology, I worked at Rue in the Technology group for almost three years and whiles it's easy to point out challenges and negatives I would say many people overlook the opportunities that exists. Rue spends a great deal of money on Technology and tools to ensure they have a platform that can be scaled. Do they have some Tech debt from decisions that were made long long ago? Yes of course, not many companies these days don't have any tech debt. From the moment I walked in the door at Rue, it was very clear it had all of the ingredients for success (Money, Technology, Leadership, Empowerment). With all of that said, Rue is certainly not for everyone. Rue is faced paced, they are constantly trying to navigate the ever changing retail marketplace and yes they are even sometimes making decisions in the moment that can be second guessed and criticized by others at a later point. Let's be honest, this is a company that has grown dramatically in the last 10 years and they are constantly trying to grow and gain market share. With this aggressive mindset, you are bound to make wrong decisions, which by the way is perfectly acceptable in my mind and part of the process. I would rather make a decision and fail and learn, then not make a decision and see opportunity pass by being risk adverse. Mindset: Yes as I mentioned before Rue has a large appetite for change and growth. Sometimes that appetite is larger than what the business can handle, however I would take that appetite any day over a company that has no ability to grow or reinvest. This is a young company that has large aspirations, you will only succeed here if you are open minded, patient and full of energy and commitment to make things better. This also includes the ability to pivot on a regular basis, as the retail marketplace changes often and pushes retail businesses into hyper go mode. Leadership: Yes, like any company Rue has some very strong leaders and some leaders that could use an upgrade, however starting at the top of the chain the CEO is one of the best guys around. I interacted with him almost on a daily basis and for a few months I reported directly to him. He is very approachable, open-minded, practical and a forward thinker. By far one of the best CEO’s I have worked for and I have worked for a bunch from small start up’s to fortune 500 companies. They have a new CTO who is extremely bright, brings good energy and progressive thinking. The CFO is a stand up guys, who has been at Rue in multiple positions for 12+ years. He knows the business and the marketplace very well and his new role as CFO is a great fit. Overall, very good place to work if you have the right mindset and you embrace a little chaos and a large opportunity to succeed. I would certainly still be working at Rue if a life changing opportunity did not present itself. Even with that choice, it was a very tough place to leave.

Cons

* Tough Business Segment, good bit of competition in this "Flash Sales" business space. * Yes, it's Boston, so parking a high and place for lunch are limited, however that comes with working downtown. With that being said, it's very close to South Station so commuting is very easy. * Challenging area to hire good talent, as the Tech market in Boston is very hot and it's hard to recruit. However this is an issue that other companies in Boston face as well.

3. "Good"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Limerick, Limerick

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time

Pros

Good leadership. Great atmosphere among employees

Cons

Salary was too low. No potential for growth

4. "Ambitious Company with Empathetic Management"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time

Pros

- data driven - kind management - stretch goals and reasonable expectations

Cons

- data definitions and use are still in the process of becoming company-wide and normalized

"Turn and burn."

1.0
    Former Employee - Photo in Louisville, KY
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good PTO plan, summer Fridays, and heck you might even get a slice of pizza every few months! That will solve everything.

Cons

After a round of layoffs it became a very toxic culture. Work you to the bone, pay you crap, and spit you out if you don't thank them for the honor. (I was regularly told to put a smile on.) They'll want your loyalty and feed you all the HR dribble of being part of a team... no a family. The loyalty will not be reciprocated, ever. You are a cog. To make matters worse, they tout their company values all over glassdoor as if repeating it enough will make these "values" actually exist. The only place they exist are printed in the photo ops they do once a year.

Continue reading
  6. "Great Company to work for!"

Former Employee - Assistant Buyer

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time for more than a year

Pros

Worked with a great team that supported internal growth within the company

Cons

There can be a bit of imbalance in work-life culture if not personally paid attention to

Chief People Officer

We are focused on career development (particularly around early career) so I am glad that your experience reflected that. As with any 24/7 e-commerce company, it is definitely fast-paced and demanding but we hope that all our associates ensure that they have an adequate work-life balance.

7. COVID-19

"Great culture, a lot of opportunity to make an impact"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time for less than a year

Pros

RGG has handled the challenging times during COVID so well and has continued to stay connected to the employees. Culture feels very family oriented and everyone cares about each others well being. Alot of opportunity to make an impact and a good amount of autonomy within your role

Cons

None at this time in my experience

Chief People Officer

Thanks for sharing your feedback! Although COVID-19 has affected us in many unpredictable ways, RGG’s People and Culture will always remain at the forefront of everything we do. Ensuring that we have been communicating honestly and often has been an important part of navigating our new normal and I’m happy that you feel that we have made a positive impact in this area.

8. COVID-19

"Clueless Leadership & Lack of Innovation"

2.0

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time for less than a year

Pros

Overall, RGG has good healthcare & time-off benefits but very poor 401K match and other benefits. There are some very nice and intelligent people that are putting in a lot of effort to make it a success.

Cons

Senior leadership has absolutely no ingenuity or transparency. If you are looking for a role where you can feel secure or be excited about the evolutions within the ecommerce/tech space, this company isn't it. Save yourself and keep looking for other opportunities.

Chief People Officer

I’m sorry that this was your experience at RGG. I agree that being honest with our associates, especially during volatile times, is integral to our success. We provide weekly business updates from our CEO in which we share both wins and challenges. We believe that this communication has kept our associates informed and will continue to look for ways in which to keep communication open and transparent.

9. COVID-19

"Little pay, no commission for a sales based role"

2.0
    Former Employee - Personal Shopper in New York, NY

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great vacation time, discount and benefits.

Cons

Let me start by saying that when Covid-19 hit we were told almost daily by upper management that we wouldn't be laid off, fast forward to a month later 90% of the department was laid off. Don't make promises when you have no idea what's going to happen next. The pay was horrible, and definitely not up to standard. You sign on being promised a commission structure that doesn't exist. If you're lucky you take home an extra $150 every 3 months. Our department was remote, so higher-ups believed they could pay us next to nothing. In 2020 upper management informed us they would be restructuring the "commission", so no one was getting a raise (not a great way to motivate your workers). That never happened because they laid-off 90% of the team 2 months later. Management refused to listen to our request for any sort of tech support, resulting in our team using the same slow software year after year with the same results. Also, the CS team is ineffective and takes days to respond resulting in upset clients who leave the program.

Chief People Officer

I’m sorry that this was your experience working at RGG. COVID-19 has affected us and many other retailers in unpredictable ways beyond our control. Unfortunately, these unforeseen circumstances required us to make some difficult decisions particularly with our personal shopper department. These decisions are never easy but were necessary to appropriately right-size this business. We always strive for our compensation to remain competitive within the industry, which is why in 2020 we made an update to the commission structure with incentive increases based on performance. Performance based incentives are standard in the retail sales industry. If you would like to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact me directly.

10. "Surround yourself with empowered, tenacious and kind people. Work here."

Current Employee - Designer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The Diversity and Inclusion Committee has been a significant source of positive change at RGG. The conversation and action within the company and externally facing to be better allies and encourage educational learning is one of my favorite parts of company culture. - Very happy with the company interest in taking steps toward achieving more diversity and being more inclusive as committee has guided Lunch & Learns, Education Sessions on Juneteenth, Intersectionality, etc. and provided an overall safe space for people to create community while being in a corporate setting. It has been especially helpful with the transition to remote. - Collaborative team culture - Relaxed dress code, good benefits, and Surprise & Delights (think Ben & Jerry ice cream parties and Creative Department’s coffee barista that sets up shop in during holiday season).

Cons

- Work life balance is self-driven, you need to be your own advocate which can be tough at times. - Still try to function like a start-up so many employees wearing many hats and juggling a lot of responsibilities. - Communication and collaboration with other teams has room to improve.

Found 508 reviews