Rue Gilt Groupe Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Found 15 reviews

4.8
Rue Gilt Groupe CEO Mark McWeeny
Mark McWeeny

"Great fun place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, good company culture. Strong vision and good technology.

Cons

Financial benefits for technology positions are average at best.

Rue Gilt Groupe2018-01-15

Rue Gilt Groupe Response

January 25, 2018CTO

Thanks for the great feedback! Please be sure to also pass along details to your manager, so that we can continue to improve.

2. "Best first job I could've asked for"

Former Intern - Full Stack Software Engineer Co-op in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe for less than a year

Pros

- Smart coworkers that care about what they do - Awesome culture/work-life balance - Really great people all around

Cons

Really can't think of anything

Rue Gilt Groupe2017-06-17

"Tech"

Software Engineer in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Rue Gilt Groupe

Pros

The best company I have ever worked with. Amazing people. working here, talented, creative and motivated.

Cons

Can't really think of any

Advice to Management

Get the customer support centre employees on par with everyone else. They are the poor relation and don't deserve it as they are great.

Rue Gilt Groupe2016-07-15

"Fun challenges, excellent team"

Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People I work with regularly are hard working, and fully qualified, if not over qualified, at their job Great social environment. people are friendly and like to hang out after work or do activities outside of hours together.

Cons

Ability to be promoted in some departments is rather difficult. Management seems to not understand what the actual market is like It's not defined what each role is supposed to do, so getting promoted into a role is made extra challenging

Advice to Management

Define your job roles, it will help people understand how to get to where they want to be

Rue Gilt Groupe2016-06-15
  5. "Supportive Management, Cool Company"

Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe

Pros

The company has solid, supportive management and brilliant CTO. Gilt Groupe also has a very fun office culture and coworkers tend to be fun and easy to get along with. And it is a "sexy" company to work for.

Cons

The work can be a bit routine at times. There is not a terrible abundance of novel projects for those working on backend systems.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring good management that is skilled at creating collaborative, supportive work environments. And keep having great Halloween parties.

Rue Gilt Groupe2016-04-14

"Great place to work a couple years ago"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time for more than a year

Pros

This was my experience in 2013, I've heard there was a lot of change afterwards. At that time it was a fantastic place to be a software engineer working on the new website. Smart people, good processes, low stress, good job security. Good snacks, fun vibrant culture. My ratings below reflect conditions two years ago.

Cons

Nearby lunch places are sparse, and parking in the area is expensive. I hear that after my departure (Jan 2014) the things I liked about it mostly changed for the worse, and later learned that many people I'd known there had left. Today, caveat emptor.

Advice to Management

Figure out what awful thing happened two years ago, turn it around it if you can, and try to prevent it recurring.

Rue Gilt Groupe2016-01-14

Rue Gilt Groupe Response

February 4, 2016CTO

Hi, Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. Having recently joined Rue in the summer of 2015, I wanted to respond to your advice. In short: done, done, and ongoing. You are quite correct that there was a lot of change after 2013, so much so that the identification and response ...

"Aspiring tech company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours. Flexible with time off. They have been modernizing a legacy stack, so there are a lot of interesting projects. Pretty aggressive with compensation adjustments.

Cons

They take a lot of short cuts to save time. There is a set amount of time before you can be promoted, regardless of performance. There is a formal career management program where employees are given goals that they will be evaluated against, but fulfilling your goals does not seem to have any bearing on promotions. They have a bonus program, but no one ever gets a bonus.

Advice to Management

Either pay out bonuses or stop pretending that you pay out bonuses. Also, make your career management program more transparent.

Rue Gilt Groupe2015-07-25

"ADD Workplace"

Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe

Pros

Always something exciting and new, bright and shiney. The novelty keeps things fresh and fun.

Cons

ADD workplace leads to many projects started, but not finished. Very little consistency. especially considering the site handles hundreds of thousands of dollars of commerce a day.

Advice to Management

Take your ADD meds. Every day. No exceptions.

Rue Gilt Groupe2015-07-21

"was a crazy place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

decent salary employee discounts on expensive clothes minimal supervision certain C level execs try to do the right thing excellent creative production team (photos, retouching, etc) fun to be in a tech business with non-tech components (warehouse, photo studio, etc) good parties cooler employees than most tech companies more diverse than most tech companies

Cons

massive employee churn - engineering team totally replaced 3 times in 18 months chaotic changes in direction. tech stack also completely changed 3 times in 18 months horrible work life balance nepotism - many VPs and managers seemed to be buddies from former jobs many incompetent managers, some with seriously erratic behavior certain execs seemingly "for show" , they showed up for big all hands... meetings but were rarely seen at the office started with a good office, moved to a horrible temp office, then finally to a pretty bad perm office inappropriate romantic relationships between certain managers and employees flash sale business model is doomed competitors already had successful exits

Advice to Management

nothing really, it is too late now

Rue Gilt Groupe2015-06-10

"in peril"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Rue Gilt Groupe full-time for more than a year

Pros

employee discount unlimited vacation policy good equipment and work environment people are genuinely nice comparing to other fashion companies used to have lots of meetup events

Cons

incompetent leaders blind by vanity metrics lost focus on where this company is going takes forever to fix something so obvious and critical innovation is hindered by lots of politics and bureaucracy

Advice to Management

stop talking, start doing. shouldn't take you a year to realize this company is in danger

Rue Gilt Groupe2015-05-06