S-RM Reviews

Updated 10 Jan 2021

3.5
S-RM CEO Heyrick Bond Gunning (no image)
Heyrick Bond Gunning
Pros
Cons
  • "S-RM underwent a period of significant(in 12 reviews)

• "There's a culture of working hard and putting in long hours(in 8 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "S-RM is a great company full of cool people who I love working with"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in London, England

I have been working at S-RM full-time

Pros

- Good team dynamics - Full of smart people to talk to - Lots of opportunities to develop initiatives and products if you're willing to drive - Flexible working

Cons

- The coffee machine is not great

2. COVID-19

"Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Central Services

I have been working at S-RM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are great - have worked with some really brilliant teams across all the offices. Senior management are really accessible to employees at all levels Specifically during the Covid pandemic - the Companies response has been brilliant. Have responded quickly to changes in various local lockdowns and communication has been clear and relevant.

Cons

The fast pace is not for everyone

"A truly miserable place to work"

1.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in London, England

I worked at S-RM full-time for more than a year

Pros

You'll likely meet some nice people in the analysts pool. Everyone's as miserable as each other so there's a good level of solidarity.

Cons

There are too many to list here. Management are condescending and often downright cruel. Public humiliation for mistakes is a party of day-to-day life at S-RM and hierarchies are injected into every single part of work (seemingly to nurture managements lifelong insecurities and inferiority complexes...). Also you'll be expected to work 10+ hour days as standard, without ever receiving any appreciation so there's almost no escape from the true misery that is working for S-RM. At least 5 employees I know have left the company because of a complete breakdown in their mental health. Nothing is worth that.

Continue reading

"Interesting place to work"

Former Employee - Associate

I worked at S-RM full-time

Pros

Colleagues at S-RM are great - very friendly, interesting people who are always willing to help one another. Senior management is visible and accessible and very willing to engage with employees from all levels of the business and make improvements. Many of the projects are both interesting and intellectually challenging, which can make for a really enjoyable job. There is also a huge variety of projects so often not working on the same thing for long. There is a lot of opportunity for growth and development. As a small, growing company with a relatively young staff, there is a lot of opportunity for development and responsibility at an early stage - whether that is running projects, managing teams or interacting with clients.

Cons

The workload can be challenging at times, resulting in high pressure/long hours. There have been efforts to address this (more time allocated for self development etc), but a combination of client-facing work/consultancy and the focus on very high quality work will inevitably mean long days are inevitable. Culture is not for everyone. Some of the junior/middle management is very inexperienced and in the past haven’t been given a lot of support on making the move from analyst to manager. Again, there have been efforts to address this with more training.

"Fast-paced culture, intellectually stimulating work, good people and lots of opportunity."

Current Employee - Director in London, England

I have been working at S-RM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

S-RM is a fast-paced and forward-looking company that gives a lot of opportunity and responsibility to talented and hard-working people. The work is often intellectually stimulating and provides an opportunity for graduates to take their area of academic interest/specialism into the professional sphere. The company has a meritocratic culture – those that work hard and perform at a high level are consistently recognised and rewarded. There is also a great collegial atmosphere across teams and regional offices. After a period of challenging growth (see below), the company’s senior management has regularly sought and tried to implement feedback, which has had a noticeable and positive impact on the company’s corporate culture in the last couple of years. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at S-RM (even when things were tricky) and am grateful for the opportunity to have built a career here.

Cons

S-RM underwent a period of significant – and at times overwhelming – growth around 2017/2018. Inevitably, the intensity of this growth caused some problems. The company had to rethink the way it communicated internally, how the business was structured, how to nurture and develop junior talent now the company no longer had that “start-up” feel etc. Lots of people came and went during this period, while others were thrust into management positions that asked too much of them, leading to burn-out. However, it feels like S-RM has now navigated this tricky period and learnt a lot from mistakes that were made. Numerous internal reviews, ranging from strategy to corporate culture, are beginning to bear fruit, and it feels like the company’s trajectory is much more sustainable than a few years ago. Expectations on employees to work hard remain, so it may be not the right place for someone seeking a gentler working tempo.

Continue reading
  6. "Excellent opportunities and great people to work with"

Former Employee - Cyber Security Consultant in London, England

I worked at S-RM full-time

Pros

Shortly after starting at S-RM in the London office, I was given a large amount of responsibility and opportunities that I didn't at the larger firm I had joined from. This help me develop quickly and I flourished in this environment. My work was also fairly rewarded with a promotion and payrises at each end of year appraisal. I thoroughly enjoyed working with a number of very talented people within the team, and enjoyed helping to grow and develop quite a new team. It's also a very social office and lots of opportunities to spend time with colleagues outside of the office.

Cons

There's a culture of working hard and putting in long hours. Part of this was a function of the spikes of work that came in and part of it was being part of having quite a small and junior team around me. This made me a critical part of a large number of projects and saw me work late nights and weekends to keep on top of them all. I think this is something that will become more manageable as the team grows and the work is more consistent.

7. "The best place I have ever worked!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at S-RM full-time for more than a year

Pros

S-RM is the best company that I have ever worked for. There's a real feeling of collaboration and many opportunities for personal development. The work is intriguing and fast-paced - you're certainly never bored!

Cons

It is expected that you will work very hard, understandably this may not be for everyone. Personally, I have found that my commitment has been rewarded and recognised by my manager and team members. That's the only con that comes to mind!

Continue reading

"Great company, excellent people"

Former Employee - Director

I worked at S-RM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of opportunities for career progression if you're committed and enjoy the work. There are some very strong practices/teams, covering everything from due diligence and investigations through security consulting and cyber security/incident response. Great people in all parts of the business: smart, dedicated, engaged, etc.

Cons

Not a lot. Culture isn't for everyone, like any company.

9. "I had a great time!"

Former Employee - Cyber Security in London, England

I worked at S-RM full-time

Pros

It's a fun place to work with interesting people, they invested in my career development and gave me responsibility quite early on.

Cons

From my experience, I can't really think of any.

Continue reading
  10. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Associate Director in London, England

I worked at S-RM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team and very sociable place to work.

Cons

Growth paints - too many hires too quickly!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 50 English Reviews