SAS Institute Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 20 October 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • If you're in an oncall rotation your work/life balance will suffer (in 13 reviews)

• little room for technical advancement outside r&d (in 20 reviews)

"Working at SAS"

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time

Pros

I like working at SAS and think its a really good company to work for. SAS is in generally full of a lot of bright, highly capable, team orientated people. The account execs are good and professional and there is a lot of good team work to get things done. The grounds are just beautiful in Marlow and the staff are looked after really well in terms of benefits. SAS UK has a mix of private and corporate culture - the private aspect makes it feel a smaller, more personal company compared to others. The company is undergoing change and for those coming in and used to corporate culture its nothing new but I get the impression SAS UK was far less prone to this type of thing in the past which I am sure was a good thing.As a company the SAS culture rates a lot more highly than many others in this area is my view - I personally think you'd be hard pressed to beat it.

Cons

As the company becomes globalised it is taking on a more corporate feel and may lose a bit of that personal feel which I think is what many long term employees don't like. I think you would have to be happy to be tolerant to the usual frustrations a big corporate can bring - take the good bits and enjoy them - there are a lot and ignore the elements you can't change. There is a lot of quite fiddly process - be prepared for a good proportion of your job at any level to be in the detail of administration of accounts - however in some ways that brings you all together and makes things feel more personal!

Advice to Management

Keep the personal touch in the UK. Think of the welfare of your employees and the good work will follow. Streamline the administration processes to run accounts :-) .

2. "Professional Services, SAS"

Current Employee - Associate Technical Consultant in Marlow, England
    Current Employee - Associate Technical Consultant in Marlow, England

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent work culture, everybody is super friendly, approachable and really helpful.
    I am a recent starter and have been put on a personal development plan where I hope to gain numerous SAS certifications and learn all about the tools I need to best fulfil the role.
    The structure of my development plan is very clear and I have lots of weekly meetings with my manager to assess my performance and make sure that I'm on track.
    Huge range of opportunities and different sectors of analysis that I can choose to go into once I am up and running.
    Social life is very good. We have weekly socials whereby we go for a drink and food and I also participate in the SAS football team!
    Excellent recent intake of graduates. Developing up and coming young talents to be the future of the company. One such method is by putting us onto the OPEN programme where we will gain skills in leadership and management.
    Wealth of experience in the team
    Amazing offices. Recent additions include pool tables, air hockey tables and a small golf course.

All in all an amazing place to work with great project opportunities always on the horizon and personal development always at the forefront of their thinking.

Cons

Yet to encounter any issues or problems with SAS

3. "SAS - great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Marlow, England
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Marlow, England

Pros

Marlow campus is a great work environment, lovely surroundings, excellent (and very cheap)restaurant, unlimited tea, coffee, juice on tap, superb recreational facilities including cricket and it's own 3-hole pitch & putt course, pool tables and much more. People are exceptionally friendly and welcoming, there is a genuine and deep-rooted feel good culture about this company, people are very proud to work here and often stay for many years.

Cons

None really if you work hard, contribute and are good at your job

Advice to Management

Keep up the impressive efforts to enhance and improve what is already a great place to work

"Pre Sales"

Current Employee - Pre-Sales Consultant in Marlow, England
    Current Employee - Pre-Sales Consultant in Marlow, England

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a steady, slowly growing company. Lots of fabulous people. Great perks and benefits. Lovely working environment.

Cons

There's no real vision or leadership. Product roadmap feels sluggish.

"Going downhill fast!"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Marlow, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Marlow, England

I worked at SAS Institute full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fantastic people, enthusiastic, collaborative, great location and grounds at UK hq

Cons

What was once a brilliant company to work for is going downhill fast and no-one in senior management seems to be doing anything about it, despite receiving feedback from staff. Professional services senior management are being allowed to rule with a culture of bullying. Staff attrition is at an all time high. Management egos are getting in the way of making best business decisions. The level of staff satisfaction is at an all time low, with many people leaving or looking to leave.

Advice to Management

Treat staff with respect and integrity.

"Integrity for sale"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in London, England

Pros

Decent technology although a bit outdated

Cons

Unprofessional and incompetent management
    Staff are frequently shafted
    Culture of bullying
    Complete lack of integrity at senior management level
    No creativity

Advice to Management

Take a long look at the repeat offenders and deal with them.

"Rapidly declining morale and good people leaving."

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time

Pros

Excellent company to work for with good benefits, great office space and surroundings. Staff are helpful to each other whenever possible.

Cons

Poor Professional Services Management in UK with little or no understanding of what the work of their staff involves on a day to day basis. Random decision making that appears to have no substance.

9. "I enjoy working for SAS Scotland R&D because of good work atmosphere."

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

kind of people you'd be dealing with -- most of whom exhibit true Scottish values: equality, strong ethics, social responsibility and kindness.

Cons

some of the processes, such as IT policy. ISO 27001

Advice to Management

Make sure that future products are developed locally. International collaboration with unclear technical lead responsibility, non-uniform processes, poorly specified component's internal APIs and locations spread across various time zones can swing the project from success to failure. All of these can be much easier handled by having any project tight into specific location.

"No wonder we are one of the best companies to work for!"

Current Employee - Consulting in London, England
    Current Employee - Consulting in London, England

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, ability to effect a change across all levels of the business, employees input hugely important to senior management, great rewards and salary packages and the facilities are second to none. Did I say one of the best companies to work for in the World!

Cons

Being in one of the hottest markets where people are constantly being poached and approached, hard to keep the view of the SAS culture under this pressure

Advice to Management

Staff are the key resource that you have, forget the great Analytical Software

"Welcoming, stimulating, challenging and full of opportunity - Welcome to SAS !"

Current Employee - Director of Sales in London, England
    Current Employee - Director of Sales in London, England

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SAS has amazing customers doing genuinely ground breaking things with our technology. We hire great people and appreciate that our people are our best assets. Wonderful offices with great technology and fierce brand advocates. Great benefits and everyone has a sense of pride !

Cons

We need to make even more time for development.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating internally and with our Clients. We are the best kept secret in the industry !