SAS Institute Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

1,026 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/Life balance seems to be a thing of the past" (in 19 reviews)

• "On balance SAS is a great place to work" (in 21 reviews)

"Rapidly declining morale and good people leaving."

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time

Pros

Excellent company to work for with good benefits, great office space and surroundings. Staff are helpful to each other whenever possible.

Cons

Poor Professional Services Management in UK with little or no understanding of what the work of their staff involves on a day to day basis. Random decision making that appears to have no substance.

2. "I enjoy working for SAS Scotland R&D because of good work atmosphere."

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

kind of people you'd be dealing with -- most of whom exhibit true Scottish values: equality, strong ethics, social responsibility and kindness.

Cons

some of the processes, such as IT policy. ISO 27001

Advice to Management

Make sure that future products are developed locally. International collaboration with unclear technical lead responsibility, non-uniform processes, poorly specified component's internal APIs and locations spread across various time zones can swing the project from success to failure. All of these can be much easier handled by having any project tight into specific location.

"No wonder we are one of the best companies to work for!"

Current Employee - Consulting in London, England
    Current Employee - Consulting in London, England

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, ability to effect a change across all levels of the business, employees input hugely important to senior management, great rewards and salary packages and the facilities are second to none. Did I say one of the best companies to work for in the World!

Cons

Being in one of the hottest markets where people are constantly being poached and approached, hard to keep the view of the SAS culture under this pressure

Advice to Management

Staff are the key resource that you have, forget the great Analytical Software

"Welcoming, stimulating, challenging and full of opportunity - Welcome to SAS !"

Current Employee - Director of Sales in London, England
    Current Employee - Director of Sales in London, England

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SAS has amazing customers doing genuinely ground breaking things with our technology. We hire great people and appreciate that our people are our best assets. Wonderful offices with great technology and fierce brand advocates. Great benefits and everyone has a sense of pride !

Cons

We need to make even more time for development.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating internally and with our Clients. We are the best kept secret in the industry !

"SAS UK "not what it says on the tin""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SAS Institute is focused on staff loyalty and satisfaction

Cons

SAS UK is anything but loyal to staff. We started the year with a organisation review which was put on hold for over 3 months whilst staff were on a risk register, without consideration for them at the time. During the year we removed the head of professional services and once again all staff were not clear of the company strategy and vision. More recently we announced a new call centre in Dublin with little clarity on how this will effect the current staff in UK.

Advice to Management

Management should consider the implication on staff when making these announcements as it effects their daily lives but does not register high with the scarcely seen management team.

"SAS rapidly declining"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

used to be a great place to work, friendly, talented teams that really made a difference to their customers.

Cons

Recent management changes have been a disaster, sales are plummeting and staff (at least the good ones) are leaving in droves. SAS UK could not move any further from the company's ethos and claims about valuing it's staff.

The management and head office based staff are spoiled with the luxury in Marlow and have no idea of what it takes to make a long customer project successful. They live in a bubble and are arrogant and condescending to the people that do the real work.

The staff that have brought success in the past are disillusioned and angry at the recent changes. They feel hugely undervalued and management attitudes are simply appalling. The best have already gone, others are biding their time - all are devastated that the company they loved is being destroyed.

It would be easy to dismiss comments like mine as the ramblings of someone who 'lost out' in some way and is currently unhappy. But these views are universal within the organisation, I have never seen such unhappiness before.

The final straw for me, was the recent cancellation of the Christmas party. The cancellation in itself wouldn't have been too distressing, however the tone of the announcement was a slap in the face. To claim that people would rather spend time with their families as a major reason for cancelling is just a joke.

Advice to Management

Take a long hard look at yourselves and stop blaming other people for the companies problems.

"One of the best places I have worked so far, in my application development career."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Glasgow, Scotland
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at SAS Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Variety of different projects and technologies. If you want to you can be rotated into different teams with your manager approval. Very open minded setup and HR keep and eye to make sure you have some sort of life outside of work.

Cons

A lot of red tape. Most UK projects are for different security agencies. Code and machine access strictly on request only.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Allow your employees take care of the project and maybe a bit less micromanagement

8. "Great company"

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Great people, propositions, work ethic

Cons

A

9. "Review of SAS UK"

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time

Pros

- We are fortunate to have the best analytics products in the market
    - The company offers great benefits to its employees
    - Lots of experienced staff to learn from

Cons

- Staff are developed in the wrong way, or not at all
    - Way too much office politics

Advice to Management

- Build a culture of mentorship
    - Resist the chance to micromanage; let people get on with their jobs
    - Spend more time with staff to show you are human beings

10. "A technology company that looks after its staff"

Pros

SAS consistently is voted best company to work for in many countries around the globe. The benefits packages are generally outstanding and there is often scope to develop within your current role or into other roles in other parts of the organisation.

Cons

As with any large organisation there can be a lot of political wrangling that makes your working life more traumatic than it should be.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on inter-department and inter-division politics. Encourage better cultural and business integration between the main organisation and acquired organisations.

Showing 1,026 of 1,107 reviews