SAS Institute Technical Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

SAS Institute CEO Jim Goodnight
Jim Goodnight

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • If you're in an oncall rotation your work/life balance will suffer (in 13 reviews)

• little room for technical advancement outside r&d (in 20 reviews)

1. "Very good company in a competitive market"

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Marlow, England
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Marlow, England

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting technology, training opportunities, good work/life balance

Cons

internal politics and unclear overall strategy about globalisation and how the organisation will evolve.

Advice to Management

Keep it simple, cut down the politics

2. "Professional Services, SAS"

Current Employee - Associate Technical Consultant in Marlow, England
    Current Employee - Associate Technical Consultant in Marlow, England

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent work culture, everybody is super friendly, approachable and really helpful.
    I am a recent starter and have been put on a personal development plan where I hope to gain numerous SAS certifications and learn all about the tools I need to best fulfil the role.
    The structure of my development plan is very clear and I have lots of weekly meetings with my manager to assess my performance and make sure that I'm on track.
    Huge range of opportunities and different sectors of analysis that I can choose to go into once I am up and running.
    Social life is very good. We have weekly socials whereby we go for a drink and food and I also participate in the SAS football team!
    Excellent recent intake of graduates. Developing up and coming young talents to be the future of the company. One such method is by putting us onto the OPEN programme where we will gain skills in leadership and management.
    Wealth of experience in the team
    Amazing offices. Recent additions include pool tables, air hockey tables and a small golf course.

All in all an amazing place to work with great project opportunities always on the horizon and personal development always at the forefront of their thinking.

Cons

Yet to encounter any issues or problems with SAS

3. "Recommending"

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Warsaw (Poland)
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Warsaw (Poland)

I worked at SAS Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

interesting projects, new technologies, delivering value to the customers

Cons

The organization of teams, that are working in accordance with Scrum methodology, could be handled a bit better.

"Senior Associate Technical Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Associate Technical Consultant in Pune (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Technical Consultant in Pune (India)

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Less Variable
    Yearly Hike
    Salary on time

Cons

Give Low salary as per market scale

Advice to Management

Need to revise salary

"Review about Pune centre specifically SSO department."

I worked at SAS Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best reason to work at SSO Pune?
    > If you are a good boot licker or, flashy type or, if you can work overnight (no work during day time) you can get promotion/double digit hike easily!

Cons

> Strict no-no for technical folks - you will ruin your career.
    > No real projects - most of the time you will spend your time on demo projects.
    > If you get on real money making projects, you will work on age old technologies.

Advice to Management

Take 'anonymous' feedback from all SSO employees, including those who left.

"Good culture, great people but product develepment not focused enough"

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at SAS Institute (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people good benefits, flexible work arrangements (although a home office policy is missing). Customer facing staff deeply cares about the clients' success.

Cons

No defined career paths. Management changed constantly. No clear directions for the consulting practice. Technology gets a bit long in the tooth, SAS takes way too long to get new products to the market, which at the beginning are often quite buggy.

Advice to Management

Focus your product strategy and try to get ahead of the Open Source companies that build on the Hadoop stack of products. There is nothing Open Source Spark can't do as well as a costly SAS Grid installation. The value-add needs to come from the business know-how build into the solutions as in the CI space. That is also were you can justify the price tag for your services.

"SAS Institute review"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Cary, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Cary, NC (US)

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great private innovative company to work for.

Cons

Hard to move up the ladder.

Advice to Management

Great job with the progress of the company in terms of the innovative products and its benefits for the society and also for creating a company that grows on you with time.
    Dont play favoritism to certain employees just because they are your family or close friends but judge them with their work and sincerity.

9. "SAS Institute review"

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Cary, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Cary, NC (US)

I worked at SAS Institute (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to advanced SAS software products (SAS Enterprise Guide, Enterprise Miner, Visual Analytics, Forecast Server, Data Integration Studio)

Cons

Sellers' renumeration motivates them to sell software, not analytical solutions. As a result, there is lack of the analytical solutions in the pipeline.

Advice to Management

Rethink approaches to developing and selling analytical solutions.

"Startup like work Culture"

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Pune (India)

I worked at SAS Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SSO team has startup like culture where your ideas are valued and you get to work with best brains in IT.

Outstanding technology stack which helped me learn every day and improve my technical skills. My job allowed me to talk to customers directly, which helped me improve my domain skills as well.

Awesome employee training program to keep everyone up to date with latest tech stack AWS, HTML5, Restful Services, Hadoop, Big Data technologies, Architecting skills etc.

Pure development work helped me constantly learn over the job and also helped me sharpen my technical skills.

You also get to work with very knowledgeable people here. Team consists people from premier institutes in India.

Good people are recognized for the good work they are doing. Very sound Award and Recognition policy.

Very good employee friendly policies like Gym reimbursement, Day Care, Medical Insurance just to a name a few.

Management is very approachable and share a culture of openness and transparency.

It’s an absolutely fun place to work for. People are given flexibility to work across technology stack and there are regular outings and celebrations which makes working here more than a fun activity.

SAS has a very flexible work from home policy, which helped me balance my work with family commitments

Very good support and recognition from key stakeholders here in India as well in the Head Quarters

SAS has annual employee offsite every year to best locations

Cons

Can't think of any.

Advice to Management

Management is competent enough

"Nice Place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Associate Technical Consultant in Pune (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Associate Technical Consultant in Pune (India)

I worked at SAS Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice place , will give you exposure of many things personally and professionally which you will not get anywhere else.
    Nice place if you want stable life.
    Good exposure to new technologies.
    Helps you to give a lot of time to your personal life , which is difficult to find anywhere else
    Employee friendly policies except Superannuation
    But in whole a good company to work for

Cons

Increase onsite opportunities so that people get attracted to stay for longer period , I feel the whole environment around onsite opportunities is generally laid back and no one wants to address this concern , but this is the only reason why young people do not stay back for longer period.

Advice to Management

Try to bring in onshore roles for java guys as well
    Make a rule that we can retrieve superannuation whenever we want because it is our money
    We get 104 Work from home days every yesr , encourage employees to use them.