SCC Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

SCC Reviews

Updated 13 December 2018

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Paid on time but nothing more then thats" (in 14 reviews)

• "Good people, can do attitude, positive" (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is basically no pay rises in all the years I was there" (in 55 reviews)

• "No pay rises, if you get an appraisal it’s always overdue and they start by telling you there is no money available for a pay rise" (in 33 reviews)

"Not a great experience"

Former Employee - BDM
    Former Employee - BDM

I worked at SCC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stable business, didn't do redundancies particularly.

Cons

Very old fashioned, factory like culture. Didn't trust or empower employees. No flexible working + lack of processes + fear culture means long hours which takes it toll on family life.

Advice to Management

I think management is the problem. Until the company gets sold things will remain the same.

"Foeld engineer"

Former Employee - Field Engineer Grade III in Southampton, England
    Former Employee - Field Engineer Grade III in Southampton, England

I worked at SCC (Less than a year)

Pros

You are out in the open air

Cons

Based as an engineer in the south, I started and left within a month or so.
    Corporate training was great, but when actually in the job after training as a new start I didn’t shadow anyone was just thrown literally to the wolves.
    An over complicated parts system which no prior training was given was impossible to work out for a newbie and if you don’t get it right and parts highlighted you are berated rather than taught, soul destroying.
    Old barely functioning vans, most running with engine lights on and looked upon you badly when you report it as a danger.
    Lack of leadership
    Fear is a tactic used by management
    Thrown onto Ooh rota 24/7 even though procedures never explained
    Lack of team spirit

Advice to Management

I am a great field engineer but felt pressured constantly in my short time there in Southampton, please get leadership and a structured process for newbies or people will constantly leave. Most companies have gone a family style route towards employees, at the moment it is barbaric.
    Feel for whoever is following the last cluster of leavers
    Birmingham was different, nice people but don’t know their structure or procedures so can only comment on what I saw

"Slave Masters"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southampton, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southampton, England

I have been working at SCC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

sorry apart from they pay salary on time , and some of the lower end team leaders are good people. there really is only one thing to say , if you value your work / home life balance do not join.

Cons

The upper management are completly out of touch with the staff at lower levels. i asked a question regarding no pay rises in 10 years, i was told the money is there for pay rises.
    however regional managers control their budgets with an iron fist. no pay rises at all irregardless of how well you do your job. enforced out of contract unpaid overtime. with often abusive managers who threaten your job security should you choose not to comply. zero encouragement, even when you go above and beyond to help customers or the company due to staff shortages. and a nameless region where the entire engineering team where going to quit on the same day.

Advice to Management

There are certain upper managers who lack any management skill whatsoever. the key is in the job title. just because they are keeping within budget does not mean they have a clue about motivating their staff to do the best they can. far to much concentration of what staff are allegedly doing wrong. and zero focus on what they are doing right. managers should know how to motivate their staff, instead of bludgeoning them to do as they say.

4. "SCC"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Birmingham, England

I have been working at SCC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

19 years working for a great company, constantly learning and being given excellent opportunities to develop.

Cons

Non applicable - great company highly recommended.

Advice to Management

Don't change

"Distributed Engineer"

I worked at SCC full-time

Pros

They did start giving out a box of biscuits to everyone at Christmas. - would have preferred a Christmas bonus or even better a pay rise.

Cons

Was a general computer engineer, was transferred into SCC on an account I was working on and changed employer. My job title was changed to Technical Engineer, along with what was expected, then my job changed again to Distributed Engineer. At this point nobody know what their job was supposed to be, micromanaged into the ground complete obsessive compulsive disorder with regard to Stats. Jobs handed out via PDA's, which didn't always work or update - you could get to a customers site and find out another Engineer was there as well on the same job - because they moved the job to him but your PDA had not updated, then you got told off by management for being on the wrong job. Wrong parts being shipped out example, driving 1.5hrs to get to site to replace a laptop screen only to find SCC had shipped a battery to site. (least the customer had a laugh)
    Very Stressful atmosphere almost - pay freeze had been in place for years before i left but the owner stepped in a bought a large international airport because he has a hobby in aviation.... he also owns other airports and heliports around the country and some Hotels.

Advice to Management

No point giving advice, those that listen to you have no influence over anything.
    Very bureaucratic. Your rewards are pathetic for going that little bit beyond for your customer. Anyone who disagrees is labelled "A Disgruntled Employee" and you get treated worse.

"Bizarre"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England

I have been working at SCC full-time

Pros

Pay is competitive for the role and some great people in the company.

Cons

Many. Firstly a company that blocks Glassdoor from internal access has issues and may help understand what reviews are genuine.

Poor management of staff, staff spread too thinly with service taking a hit as a result. Massive staff turnover across much of the business with little to no planning for their departure. Colleagues have had 12+ line managers in 8 years with no 1-2-1s, it is not a nurturing or supportive environment.

Offices are terrible in an awful area, parking is a nightmare, no complimentary drinks for staff. Although the food has got better since the cheese with cheese review.

Advice to Management

Lose the apathetic attitude. When a widely held saying is "if you can last a year at SCC, you can work anywhere" you know the business has issues and should work to turn it around.

7. "Good place to work"

I worked at SCC full-time

Pros

Loved working there and I always felt that I was valued had plenty of training

Cons

Car allowance was a little low

8. "Would recommend"

Current Employee - BDE in London, England
    Current Employee - BDE in London, England

I have been working at SCC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Came in as a graduate. Was given a lot of lessons about company and history of industry.
    Very flat structure. Met all the directors very early on.
    Great culture of mentoring and helping each other. Which was great for junior BDE. But also for more senior people who consult colleagues on propositions. Friendly culture, emphasizing consultative approach to sales.

Cons

The sandwiches.
    Hard to grasp the full extent of company and services. Needs to be more inward selling of scope of services.

Advice to Management

Good plans for future around innovation and company process. More aggressive timelines would help.

"Do not take a job here"

Former Employee - Service Desk
    Former Employee - Service Desk

I worked at SCC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My direct team were nice, but unfortunately they were all stuck on the same horrible ride as me.

Cons

The overall company mentality.

Management.

Fake reviews on here rating them 5 stars.

Offices felt like sweatshop, couldn't wait to find another job.

Advice to Management

Management need to be reminded slave labor was abolished in 1833.

"Field Service engineer"

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at SCC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

there are no pros at SCC

Cons

Same as above crap wages