SDL Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.2
SDL CEO Adolfo Hernandez
Adolfo Hernandez
Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance can be a problem for the consistent "doers" within the organization(in 20 reviews)

• "Very poor work life balance with most of PJMs working long hours(in 19 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Working at SDL is FANTASTIC."

Former Employee - Translator in Mumbai

I worked at SDL full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

According to me, SDL is best place to work. Environment and the infrastructure of SDL is suitable for work and career growth. SDL also provide the responsibilities to their employees according to their abilities, so they can perform batter.

Cons

Relatively understaffed which means you have more responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Good job Managers..... keep it up!

SDL2018-11-10

SDL Response

November 13, 2018Executive Team

Thank you for adding your review. We value your feedback and wish you success in your chosen career.

"Manage the in-house recruitment for the English Language office and provide support to other LO'S on a global capacity"

Current Employee - Senior Talent Finder in Sheffield, England

I have been working at SDL full-time for less than a year

Pros

great working condition, very good managers and great benefits

Cons

I really cant think of any cons

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

SDL2019-03-12
  3. "Good company to work for."

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Bristol, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at SDL full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good holidays, Decent benefits and good culture

Cons

Lower end of salary, too much middle management

SDL2019-09-16

"So much potential wasted"

Former Employee - Pre-Sales in London, England

I worked at SDL full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Decent flexible working. Amazing team! Some great people. Good products (mis-invested). Made some exceptional strides to implement and invest in Professional Development.

Cons

Senior management for translation are clueless about the web side of business. They effectively allowed Tridion to fall to its knees and made it super difficult to position (little innovation and not enough meaningful features). Difficult to progress up the ladder. Product Training was effectively killed off through shortsightedness. SDL is a translation company that happens to own a CMS, in my opinion.

Advice to Management

It has been a while since I left now but the grass was definitely greener. You need to speak to your customers, stop using compliance to squeeze them (if you still do this) and get your customer success straight because your customers do not know who you are or what value you offer. I enjoyed most of my time at SDL and, on my leaving day, I was told I would be back in 6 months; that arrogance got you in a mess and... you need to realise customers will not stand for it. I gave two stars for the efforts you made around professional development and the fact I still enjoyed my time at SDL, overall; however, I do think that you remain a professional nightmare and I will not work under that strain again.

SDL2019-08-13

"Good opportunities for personal development, poor prospects for promotion."

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Maidenhead, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at SDL full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some great people work here. You are provided a lot of support and professional development is steady so a good place to begin a career.

Cons

Promotions are contingent on bottom-kissing culture. They are also awarded within silo's so you may find a mediocre PM in the 'Easy' department (Button clicking workflow projects) gets promoted above you whilst you're busting a nut inventing nuclear fusion for much more demanding clients.

Advice to Management

People's one-to-one should be with their bosses boss. This is the only way in any organization for talent to be identified and rewarded rather than seen as a threat and choked.

SDL2019-06-28
  6. "Great company and great people"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Maidenhead, England

I have been working at SDL full-time for less than a year

Pros

Employees empowered to make a difference and have a direct impact on the future and direction of the company.

Cons

There is lots to do so if you do not like hard work it is not a place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, continue with the 'fun' factor and reward success.

SDL2019-06-19

"N/A"

Current Employee - Account Director in London, England

I have been working at SDL full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance Autonomy Work from home

Cons

Salary Internal politics Commission Career progression is non existent

SDL2019-05-20

"A joke of a company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England

I have been working at SDL full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get paid on time, free coffee/tea. If you have no lifeand do not want good pay, this is the place to be

Cons

Where to start... This company still is in start-up mode, being in the market for +20y. With this comes immature HR, Finance, Exec that think they are the big shots, middle management that is close to god complex. All just a sad mess with no real strategy and just big words. Most "Managers" in admin come from big4, and that is how they behave. Cokey, big mouth and not willing to actually do the work, rather do... as I say not as I do. Most of them work their 9-5, go home, some work from home until midnight. This all is expected from you w/o recognition... just pure entitlement. The pay is rather run of the mill. With the 50% unpaid work, the juice is not worth the squezz. The Exec team lives the life with grand travelling and full of joy, screening everything all the time on the TV mounted at the walls. Constant overworking of people, because support teams are not developed, people do not know what they are doing. If you speak up, you get the boot or are ignored. The fassade is always like, we support etc. but do not look at reality! Benefits are bare bone. Pension kicks in after 3 month, hence this is the law. Health care after one year. Nothing to speak of. Extras like charity days off, at full discretion of management and you have to present a full case study if you like to have the day off. Worth it if you have to prepare for this ca. 4-6h,nope! The turnover/ restructuring rounds are rampered. Nobody is around for long. No progression path. HR is typical HR, being there to protect management. Do not expect anything. SDL is seen as a bad business relatilnship hence it does not pay on time, only with last notice.

Advice to Management

KPI and bottom line is the deal, right? If you want to work in the City, then go there. Maidenhead is not the City. Sell the company if you have not already planed so with all your restructuring rounds. Maybe Google shows mercy

SDL2019-05-01

"Ok if you like a structured environment"

Former Employee - Senior PM in Maidenhead, England

I worked at SDL full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great global teams, No micromanagement, Quality clients

Cons

Location is extremely inconvenient and remote.

Advice to Management

Location, location, location! A Maidenhead business park is pretty dreary in the longer term.

SDL2019-02-06

"Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England

I have been working at SDL full-time for less than a year

Pros

Genuinely care about their employees Friendly and fun work environment Excellent opportunities within the company for progression Very serious about charity work Opportunity to travel Passionate management

Cons

Not many social events- this is where you really get to know colleagues

SDL2019-01-31