SDL Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

SDL CEO Adolfo Hernandez
Adolfo Hernandez

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance can be a problem for the consistent "doers" within the organization" (in 19 reviews)

• "Very long hours for not enough money - definitely not paid as well as in the industry" (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Working at SDL is FANTASTIC."

Former Employee - Translator in Mumbai (India)
    Former Employee - Translator in Mumbai (India)

I worked at SDL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

According to me, SDL is best place to work. Environment and the infrastructure of SDL is suitable for work and career growth. SDL also provide the responsibilities to their employees according to their abilities, so they can perform batter.

Cons

Relatively understaffed which means you have more responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Good job Managers..... keep it up!

13 Nov 2018 – Executive Team

Thank you for adding your review. We value your feedback and wish you success in your chosen career.

"Great company, very good working environment"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Maidenhead, England
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Maidenhead, England

I worked at SDL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company culture
    Pleasant work environment and offices
    Management loves you and will go the extra length if you are dedicated and competent
    Company heavily invests in education and training
    Company management committed to success
    No nonsense attitidude
    Everybody is valued
    Work is never repetitive
    Career progression available to everybody

Cons

If you are lazy or not performance driven, this is probably not the company for you.

Advice to Management

This is one of the best companies I have ever worked for. SDL has been going through a cultural change to become more performance driven. Sadly working harder and more focused does not fit with some individuals, hence the bad reviews. I completely approve SDL transformation and in my time i have actually seen major improvements after some of the bad apples have left. I love the attitude of new management who want to make things happen and are a delight to work with. I left SDL for a career change opportunity, if not I could have stayed for a very long time. So I highly recommend SDL to anyone who want to wants to contribute to a great company.

"One of the best people focused companies I have worked for with clear future direction"

Current Employee - Manager in Maidenhead, England
    Current Employee - Manager in Maidenhead, England

I have been working at SDL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Having worked at SDL for the last 2 years, I see an employee passion for doing the right thing like no other. Of course there are x functional concerns like all companies but its people want success, deserve success and work relentlessly to get it. HR programs in place have matured the company and especially the recent career framework that level sets all employees. Good monthly communication from the top plus weekly CEO blogs help to make sure employees get transparent updates how the company is doing and what are the latest projects, people and functional updates that are making a difference.

Cons

Last years management of profit warnings and bonus communication are still in peoples back of mind, but SDL (with the acquisition of DLS )and recent announcements at SDL connect with clear financial news on the year end performance has given more energy to the employees.

Advice to Management

Leadership support / investment to all managers across the company needs to be accelerated. The employees are young, diverse and hungry to learn. They need well trained and equipped managers to guide them through to greater personal and business success.

13 Nov 2018 – Executive Team

Thank you for taking the time to add your review. We value your feedback.

We are aware of the points you have raised and are continuously working to re-balance the fall-out from our company... More

4. "Good overall employer."

Former Employee - Trainer in Bristol, England
    Former Employee - Trainer in Bristol, England

I worked at SDL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New technologies and training to help job roles encouraged.
    Interesting software products to work with.
    Friendly staff.

Cons

Communication between teams can be arduous.

12 Nov 2018 – Executive Team

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We wish you continued success for your future.

"Great company, low pay"

Current Employee - Translator in Sheffield, England
    Current Employee - Translator in Sheffield, England

I have been working at SDL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of free social events, staff are really friendly and helpful.

Cons

Overtime is unpaid but expected, pay is very low considering you need a degree for the job.

Advice to Management

Consider increasing pay or bringing back paid overtime. It's impossible to complete all the work that is expected of us without having to stay late

13 Nov 2018 – Executive Team

Thank you for your review.

We are continuously bench-marking our salaries against our competitors and similar industries to SDL and believe we are offering very competitive packages.

We're... More

"A boring software company that believes it can do great multilingual advertising"

Former Employee - Creative Services Specialist in Maidenhead, England
    Former Employee - Creative Services Specialist in Maidenhead, England

I worked at SDL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting clients
    Big multionational office with people from all around the world

Cons

Terrible middle and upper management
    More project managers than workers
    Very very long hours
    Cumbersome procedures
    Serious communication problems

Advice to Management

Focus on what you were good at: software development and localization. You most definitely are not qualified to handle transcreation assignments.

24 Oct 2018 – Executive Team

Thank you for sharing your views with us. We appreciate feedback both positive and negative. We are part way through our transformation to a new culture and a new environment where we are... More

"Nice place to work with limited career progress"

Former Employee - Language Analyst in Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - Language Analyst in Birmingham, England

I worked at SDL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Multicultural environment, globalized teams (physically set in different locations), diversified client portfolio, some flexibility in working hours and working from home, access to lots of training and knowledge base

Cons

Limited career progress (not necessarily based on merit or performance), team reduction in more expensive offices in favour of less expensive locations resulting in massive loss of talent and overloaded resources, performance appraisal usually happens but is not necessarily effective, execs take decisions based on numbers not competence, little transparency, limited coaching, suggested changes may happen but really slowly

29 Jul 2018 – CSR & Employee Engagement Consultant

Thank you for your feedback. We value our employees career journey and are open to suggestions for progression for not only the individual but the company's future success. Recent transformation... More

"Slightly surprised"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England

I have been working at SDL full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I'm slightly surprised at some of the reviews here and some of the pointed negativity aimed at the senior management. I'm lucky enough to interact closely with a number of them and they care as much about this company as any of the PMs, translators etc. that I know. We are kidding ourselves if we think the problems are all recent. The one thing I have seen over the years is that the prior management teams didn't make the hard decisions required, which is why we fell further behind our competition; we are kidding ourselves if we really believe things were hunky-dory in the past. These hard decisions are being made by this team and I know they really feel them (or they are fantastic actors). They also know it isn't perfect but they can't turn the clock back 5 years and restart there.

Cons

Things are moving at 100 miles an hour all the time and it's difficult to pause and take breath. There are days when this is almost overwhelming.
    Some decision are still not being taken quickly enough to enable us to act on them sensibly, leading to the last minute speeding through of work.

Advice to Management

Remind people why we needed to change and how you are tackling the things they are feeling most. Also address why some of our people are leaving when others are joining. I know this happened before but because we were siloed, we just didn't see the full picture. Now that we see the full picture, I know some of my team are concerned by what they see. Reminding them of some of the past would be helpful.

"One of the lucky ones"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at SDL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Opportunity to develop
    - Opportunity for progression (for some)
    - People in the office are fantastic

Cons

- Mishandling of changes
    - Pains caused by legacy management decisions
    - Pay levels below industry competitors
    - Work life balance (for most)
    - Losing good people through poor management
    - Who you know is how you get ahead internally

Advice to Management

Changes are being made, and need to be continued. That needs to extend beyond how to improve the share price. Quicker resolutions are needed on internal tech, pay, workloads, communication and the list goes on. The company is trying to go in the right direction but there are far too many people who are clinging on doing jobs that are redundant - especially when we are losing so many people that add masses of value to teams globally.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Sheffield, England
    Current Employee - Sales in Sheffield, England

I have been working at SDL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people very friendly inclusive environment

Cons

Moral Senior Directors not listening

Advice to Management

Listen to people at the sharp end and create a culture in which comments can be made withour come back.

3 Apr 2018 – Global Head of HR and Employee Experience

Thank you for taking time to post a review. We take all Glasssdoor reviews very seriously, and listening and learning as we transform to build a better company where employees can thrive. Please... More