SGN Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

SGN CEO John Morea
John Morea
  1. "Pay"

Current Employee - Gas Engineer

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

Pay is good and people friendly

Cons

Don't have any issues with them

SGN2019-08-03

September 2, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks for your five-star review. It's great to hear you only have good things to say about working here. We hope your journey at SGN continues to be a positive one.

"Horrendous employer"

Former Employee - Engineer
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at SGN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Got paid on time every month.

Cons

Horrendous management Bullying culture Micromanaged Treated like dirt

Advice to Management

The whole management ethos needs to change right from the top to the bottom. Treating people like dirt has only resulted in most of your engineers leaving unless they’re “d” business in which case they’re only there for their pension.

SGN2018-12-14

December 19, 2018Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for sharing your experience of working at SGN and I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t feel your time with us was overall positive. Whether it’s in the office or out in the field our people are the heart of our business so it’s disappointing that you weren’t made to feel valued. We adopt a zero-tolerance policy toward bullying and I hope you had the opportunity to discuss this with a member of our HR team in an exit interview before you left. If not, I would encourage you to get in touch with me confidentially so that we can understand, from your perspective, what we can do to improve the culture in your depot. You can reach me on 07970 127 348 or Kirstin.gemmell@sgn.co.uk.

3. "Leading the way"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working for SGN is great. There are many opportunities for those who wish to progress within the company. The staff are highly valued and there are many ways to get rewarded for going above and beyond. SGN are leading the way in innovation.

Cons

I don't have a bad word to say about working for SGN

SGN2018-01-29

January 31, 2018Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. It’s great to hear you enjoy working for SGN and we hope your SGN journey continues to be a positive one.

"Good job, Poor company"

Current Employee - Engineer
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Enjoy the job. Good variety of work. Good job security. Good team spirit within the department. Not much else to be honest.

Cons

Poor pay and benefits. Big divide in company terms and conditions. No one listens to your opinion. Guys out on the ground are not trusted and many managers use bully boy tactics to get there own way.

Advice to Management

Listen to your field workers instead of ignoring them. A decent benefits package, instead of the Mickey Mouse benefit package thats on offer at the moment. Pay the going rate and treat staff well, then you have a good company.

SGN2018-02-05

February 21, 2018Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It’s great to hear that you enjoy your job and team spirit is high. We’re committed to continuous improvement and acting on feedback where we can, which is why our reward offering is currently under review. We’re undertaking an exercise to get a better idea of what our people want and we hope to enhance our offering later this year. You may also have noticed that we welcomed a Management Training and Development Manager just last month as part of our plans to support and develop our leaders and managers. This work will focus on strengthening manager competencies to ensure good management practices.

"Undervalued and Underpaid"

Current Employee - Engineer in Southampton, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are a few good things; not working away and the staff in the department are good bunch of blokes.

Cons

I have been working here for a while and every year it has got worse, the pay is ridiculous for people doing the same job is £6000 difference. I’ve had enough of being underpaid and under valued. Other companies that are doing the same job have a £6000 higher basics.

Advice to Management

Start realising that you need to improve pay, terms and conditions before it’s too late.

SGN2017-11-29

February 7, 2018Employee Experience Officer

Thanks for leaving a review. We value feedback and like to respond to all reviews so apologies for the delay. Teamwork is always a positive theme in our employee opinion surveys so it’s nice to hear that you are part of a great team in Solent. Pay is another theme of our employee surveys, and like many organisations, people always want more money. There are a few different T&Cs within SGN and some of them were inherited. We recently did a benchmarking exercise to understand how we compare to the external market. Compensation is an emotive area and this exercise gives us valuable insight. We want to improve our benefits and one positive step is to introduce a pensions salary sacrifice scheme for GPPP pension scheme members, which could mean as much as a 1.5% pay increase. Pensions is a complicated area so we’re contacting all SGNC scheme members on what this means for you. Please check out SGNApp (26 Jan) for a more detailed update.

"Potentially very good, currently very poor..."

Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than a year

Pros

The colleagues in my department are great, job entails something different everyday as we're on the road and the job is yours for life, if you want it. These are the only reasons I stay, I want it to become the company that I know it can be....

Cons

Too many to mention... The hierarchy deems it correct that they can pay 2 people doing the same job a wage with a £6k difference... What incentive is there to stay when getting completely mugged off like that?!!! This is NOT competitive, this is offensive and the powers above are clueless how to keep a workforce happy... Other companies have much better wages, benefits packages and respect. SGN are falling to the... bottom of the league and drastic changes are needed to keep the amazing staff they have... BEFORE THEY JUMP SHIP!!!! You will see previous reviews from employees and I don't believe for one second the good ones are from staff, sounds more like a marketing/recruitment ploy from director's. I have not met one member of staff who is happy. Any reply from SGN saying "Please bring your concerns to your manager" are a joke. They too have no power to change what is needed and in general they are very good. It's above them, the "decision makers" where the issues lie.

Advice to Management

The company make huge profits every year with minimal reward to the staff who make that profit for them.... Time to step up and prove how SGN really value their staff, because saying it doesn't cut the mustard any longer....

SGN2017-11-08

November 22, 2017Employee Experience Team

Thanks for posting a review on Glassdoor. The reviews give us insight into areas for improvement and we welcome all feedback. We accept things are not perfect but hopefully you’ll appreciate from our responses here, as well as from SGN App, that we have a big agenda for change to people processes and practices over the coming months. To give a little context, we have a lot of highly skilled and experienced long-served people retiring from SGN over the next 3-5 years, so we need to find ways to replace them. HR needs to become more strategic, and to take a longer-term view of the ways in which we recruit, develop and retain people with the skills and experience we need for the future. We need to review and improve the way we do things in many areas including all aspects of remuneration (pay and benefits), systems and processes, training and development, recruitment, performance and talent management and succession planning. You mention pay and benefits, specifically the different terms and conditions that exist within SGN. We have legacy T&Cs from the days of Transco and British Gas like many other companies, but we do want to improve the most recent contractual terms. Over the last few years' things like holidays and sick pay have improved; in fact, pay has improved by more than RPI, and we’ll continue to improve and hopefully simplify things over the next few years. As part of a remuneration review, we’re also looking at benefits to get a better understanding of what other companies offer, as well finding out what our people want. You’ll be aware that our engagement survey scores have improved from 58% to an above average score of 82% in the last few years. Our staff turnover is low, lower than most companies, so many of our people are choosing to stay with us. We think we offer good, secure and safe employment – whilst we’ll never be the highest payer we believe that we do offer a good overall package. Thanks again for your feedback.

Found 6 reviews