SGN FCO Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

John Morea

"Working at SGN"

Current Employee - FCO in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've been in the gas industry for around 32 years now,14 with SGN. Fantastic company to work for, salary is great,wirk is varied and interesting with a healthy outlook on safety in regards our workforce and the general public. Work hard,keep your nose clean and you will have a job for life with great opportunity's for advancement within different streams of the company. Great terms and conditions with a very forward... looking CEO.

Cons

Long hours and trying to balance family life can be hard .

SGN2018-11-12

November 22, 2018Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for leaving such a positive review. The work our FCOs do is so important so it’s fantastic to hear how much you enjoy your role and working for SGN. We understand that our standby arrangements can have an impact on work-life balance and we’re working with our TU colleagues to explore how we might be able to make changes in this area.

2. "Company making pay cut backs."

Current Employee - FCO in London, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Always get paid on time. Good pension.

Cons

Unsociable hours which pay doesn’t reflect. Managers bully people, false promises. Company constantly looking at ways to cut pay. Employees treated differently. Engineers doing the same job get paid less than others. Company can’t retain their staff. 80% of engineers are not happy. We all come to work to make a living and pay the bills yet pay is poor and not had a pay rise in years yet SGN expect you to work... 15-16 hours for poor pay and give a 10/10 service. No sick pay/ where other engineers get it. Working long hours and sometimes in poor conditions your more susceptible to sickness. SGN management rarely reward engineers verbally. A simple well done or good job would be nice. They keep adding more and more to do on jobs yet dont allow the time to do it. Therefore sometimes you can feel rushed either by the office or management. You work unsociable hours and days yet get the minimum allowance for holiday annually. Engineers that done this job 30 years ago earned more money than engineers do now.

Advice to Management

Pay your engineers the same money as your taking new starters on. Praise your engineers more for doing a good job. Sort your IT out. Makes day to day life hard having tablets that constantly fail. Improve morale of your engineers and you’ll get a better job out of them.

SGN2019-07-20

August 14, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for sharing your views and giving us the opportunity to address some of your concerns. One of the commitments we’ve made to our customers involves delivering a service which offers value for money. This means we need to look at ways of working more efficiently and effectively but it doesn’t mean cutting pay for those carrying out the work. Our people are the heart of our business and we’re always looking at how we can improve things for our employees. The pay deal agreed in 2018 has seen considerable improvements in pay and other terms and conditions, e.g. sick pay and pension contributions for SGNC colleagues and will continue to provide benefits for the remainder of the deal. We’ve had a lot of positive feedback from our people about these changes. We know that our current IT infrastructure needs to be improved and we’ve embarked on an ambitious project to upgrade our network. The project team have been posting regular updates on SGNapp and DigitalHub so take a look here for the latest news. Also, we’re aware that some users have been experiencing performance issues with their tablets and plan to replace 2,200 tablets with brand new devices. The roll-out planned to start late-September and expected to take between four and five months with our field force being prioritised.

3. "FCO"

Former Employee - FCO
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at SGN full-time for less than a year

Pros

Varied work can keep the job interesting , but overall not many pros

Cons

Certain Management have bully boy tactics but seem to be allowed to get away with it . Standby is far to excessive and not healthy working 17 hour days and being expected to go out in middle of night after that . Pay for the responsibility the job carrys is shocking. High turn over of staff yet no one questions why.

Advice to Management

not worth writing as they will not listen

SGN2019-05-08

June 28, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Many thanks for your recent review. Please be assured that accusations of bullying and intimidating behaviour are taken extremely seriously. When issues of this nature are highlighted to our HR team they are investigated promptly and thoroughly to ensure the appropriate action is taken. With respect to your comments on standby we are currently reviewing our arrangements for managing working time and fatigue in conjunction with our Trade Union representatives. The health and welfare of our people is paramount which is why ‘safety first’ is one of our core values. Thank you for your sharing your experiences of working at SGN and wishing you all the best for your future.

"Not pleasant"

Former Employee - FCO in Portsmouth, South East England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at SGN full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay rate is ok

Cons

Bullying , old fashioned , stuck in its ways Long hours, not much progression

Advice to Management

Start dealing with issues and not ignoring them

SGN2019-03-27

April 17, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks for sharing your experiences of working at SGN. I hope you had the opportunity to tell us more about the less positive aspects of your employment in an exit interview before leaving. We take all claims of bullying seriously and welcome any feedback that will help us to improve. If you would like to get in touch confidentially, you can contact me on kirstin.gemmell@sgn.co.uk/07970 127 348. Wishing you all the best for the future.

"FCO trainee"

Current Employee - FCO in Worthing, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Overtime, travel johns so you can urinate in the comfort of your van...

Cons

Old vans, unorganised, no tools, overtime, timesheets.

Advice to Management

Update equipment and vans, show compassion towards employees

SGN2018-12-13

December 19, 2018Employee Experience Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. When it comes to planned work, we always do our best to make sure welfare facilities are available. In the event of emergency or unplanned work, it’s not always possible to provide these facilities so we exercise flexibility and expect our people to make common sense arrangements. In response to your comment about the vans, we have a planned replacement programme for our commercial vehicles. Currently, we have 181 vans undergoing fit-out which we expect to be complete early next year and we have more planned for the next financial year.

"A company only interested in profit and its shareholders"

Former Employee - FCO in London, England

I worked at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Provides a regular wage, which can be really good if you work every hour god sends

Cons

Unhealthy working hours, no chance of progression unless your face fits, aggressive management, every moment of every day watched and scrutinized, decades of experience goes unrecognized

Advice to Management

treat the workers on the ground (the most important asset you have) with respect and improve pay and working hours

SGN2018-01-26

February 8, 2018Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for your review. It’s always disappointing to hear negative feedback, but we value and consider all reviews as we look to keep improving our workplace. We’re making lots of changes in HR, one of which is our management development offer. The work will focus on strengthening the competencies of our current managers, which should address outdated management styles. In terms of progression, it sounds like you didn’t have a great experience. We want to encourage and support those people who want to progress and there are many varied opportunities for hard-working colleagues. We recognise work demands can be high in the winter months and we ask operational colleagues to carry out a self-risk assessment during the working day to ensure fatigue is being monitored, and liaise with their manager. Working patterns is an area we want to improve in our southern network and we’re jointly reviewing this with our trade union colleagues. I’m sorry you’ve taken the decision to leave SGN and I wish you all the best in your future.

Found 6 reviews