SGN Reviews

SGN CEO John Morea
John Morea
  1. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Nice job, could do with improvements.

10 Jan 2021 - Team Leader
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good development for new starters Good pay Training resources online

Cons

Lack of communication Broken promises by management Short staff for workloads

Employee Experience Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Covid has presented us with a series of challenges which we’ve been working hard to overcome. As you might expect, some of our colleagues have been shielding, isolating and quarantining which has had an impact on resource levels. This coupled with the reality that many colleagues are now home-schooling their children, we know there will be an impact on outputs but we also know that everyone is doing the best they can and we really appreciate your efforts during this challenging time. With rules and restrictions constantly changing, our managers are having to adapt at short notice and we’re trying to make sure that important messages are communicated effectively. Since the start of Covid we’ve made great efforts to ensure that training and development at SGN doesn’t stop, so it’s great to hear your positive feedback about our eLearning packages. We’re committed to continually improving so will take your feedback on board and hope you share more insights and examples with our third Covid-19 survey that launched this week. Many thanks for your review and your 8+ years at SGN – hope you continue to keep safe and well.

2. 1.0

Bullies

16 Jan 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

It’s hard to find any pros

Cons

Management are bullies, doesn’t matter where you are located someone has been given a hard time by a managers and usually they are unjustified. They always seem to care about themselves even more so in a COVID environment, when it’s them that are safe working at home. They love to drag a disciplinary on for as long as possible causing undue stress on the employee. Everyone has a target on there back. As for opportunities to progress your career, it’s massively about who you know.

Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for your recent review. Bullying and harassment of any kind are not tolerated at SGN and colleagues are encouraged to highlight any instances of bullying or harassment to HR. Our recent ‘speak up’ campaign featured messages from senior leaders about the importance of speaking up to raise concerns, ask questions and share ideas. Check out SGNapp or DigitalHub to find out more about our commitment to ensuring it’s safe for colleagues to speak up and the ways you can do this. Please also be sure to complete the Covid-19 survey to share your experiences and suggestions for improving morale.

3. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Sgn

29 Mar 2021 - Gas Engineer in Coatbridge, Scotland, Scotland
    Business Outlook

Pros

None would advise looking for a job here

Cons

Can only progress within the company if you know someone even if you have only done the job a year

Employee Experience Coordinator

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your review. Job progression is normally an area where we get lots of positive feedback, but we understand progression in some areas can be quite limited which can be frustrating. If you haven’t already, I would encourage you to speak to your manager or HR Manager to find out what development opportunities are available and how they might be able to support you. I’d also like to invite you to take part in an interview as part of an EDI audit we’re currently undertaking. This would be an opportunity for you to have a confidential discussion with a diversity and inclusion specialist to share your experiences and views and help us achieve greater equality, diversity and inclusion in our policies and processes. If you’d like to know more or you’re keen to take part, please let me know as soon as possible at Sophie.Krempasky@sgn.co.uk so I can arrange a time for you to speak with them.

4. 5.0

Good experience, continuously improving

6 Jul 2020 - Stakeholder Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland, Scotland
    Business Outlook

Pros

The way SGN has looked after it's employees during Covid-19 has been great e.g. very quickly mobilising homeworking; stopping all but essential works; getting PPE out to those in need; regular comms; use of technology (MS Teams and a comms App) to ensure people stay connected; listening to employees via a covid survey; and working tirelessly to ensure offices and depots are safe for those people returning. I've been impressed that changes are being made as a result of survey feedback and I must say, I love the new recognition system, shout out. So many genuine shows of appreciation - spot on timing. I can honestly say I'm proud to work for SGN. Thank you!

Cons

Sometimes the pace of change is slow, but it's a utility and many of the people don't like change so inevitably it can be like pushing water uphill.

2 people found this review helpful

Employee Experience Officer

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and give your feedback - we're so pleased to hear your experience working at SGN during Covid-19 has been positive and you felt supported in SGN's response. I'm glad you're enjoying the new recognition system, Shout Out, as we know how important it is to recognise our colleagues and all of the great work being done across the business - especially during this time. We're constantly listening and collecting insight from our people, like with the recent Covid-19 survey, so we can make meaningful changes to the way we work. We recognise ‘the pace of change’ at SGN can sometimes be slow because we're a regulated business with safety and process considerations to make. However, in recent months, we've increased the pace to ensure we're responding and adapting to the situation as it develops . We're committed to continuously improving and look forward to lots more positive change ahead. Thanks again for your contribution and feedback.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great company with lots of diverse opportunity

5 Jan 2021 - Performance Manager in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunity to develop skills in varied roles

Cons

High level direction not communicated down in structured way

Employee Experience Coordinator

Many thanks for your recent review. We’re glad to hear you feel positively about the development opportunities at SGN. We try to ensure important messages are shared with colleagues across multiple channels like SGNapp and DigitalHub, and are included in teamtalk to be briefed at team meetings. If you’re not having regular team meetings or have any other suggestions for cascading information, please share with us in our next Covid survey launching next week. Thanks for your review and hope you keep safe and well.

6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Review

19 Dec 2020 - Team Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland, Scotland
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good place to work in the time I have been there

Cons

None at the time of writing

Employee Experience Coordinator

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. It's great to hear you only have good things to say about your time working here the past few years. We hope you’re staying safe and that your journey at SGN continues to be a positive one.

7. 4.0
    Former Employee

Overall good company

15 Dec 2020 - Carpenter in Swanley, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent pay, normal big company perks

Cons

Contractual overtime, crazy long Hours, But thats changed slightly since I left

Employee Experience Officer

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences. Yes, you're right, we introduced a new rota over a year ago to help reduce fatigue within the workforce. As with any change, some welcomed this more than others but in the main it's been very well received. Thank you again for your review and wishing you the best for the future.

8. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Reasonable to Okay

24 Nov 2020 - FCO (Technical) in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Training is OK, and you get what you need to do job.

Cons

Internal network is terrible and slows jobs up.

Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We have a robust training offering to ensure our people are equipped to perform their roles effectively but we're always open to suggestions and ideas. If you think there's something missing or you'd benefit from training in a particular area please highlight to your manager or a member of the training team. We’re committed to continually improving and recently, we rolled out phase one of a device replacement scheme to upgrade the technology we work with. We want to support our people in whatever way we can so if you've got any thoughts on how we can do this better, please tell us in the next Covid-19 survey we'll be issuing in January.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Brilliant Company to work for!

1 Jul 2020 - Talent Coordinator in Portsmouth, South East England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've had a great experience right from the word go. Being part of SGN during the Pandemic has proven they are a company who care about their employers. Clear and concise information given regularly and support available at all times. Progression is made clear from the beginning and it seems managers genuinely care about getting you to the best place within your job role. Not a bad word to say.

Cons

Unable to use Car Park unless issued with parking space, long waiting list.

1 person found this review helpful

Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. These are unprecedented times for us all and we're immensely proud of how our people have risen to the challenge. Our office based colleagues have really embraced working from home and we know that many would like to continue working more flexibly in the future. Hopefully this will have a positive impact on parking in Portsmouth!

10. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Lots of room for improvement

15 Oct 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Burgess Hill, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lovely colleagues, reasonably flexible, training opportunities,

Cons

Blame culture, bullying, unrealistic expectations with little support, no realistic progression process in place

Employee Experience Coordinator

Thanks for taking the time to leave your review and give your feedback – we’re sorry your experiences at SGN haven’t all been positive. It's pleasing to hear you’re working with some fantastic people and concerning to hear about other aspects of your experience. We hear lots of positive things about the many progression and development opportunities at SGN but, in some cases, it's not possible to achieve the aspirations some colleagues have. I would encourage you to have a conversation with your manager or HR Manager and ensure clear objectives are agreed to support your development. The health and welfare of our people is paramount, especially at this time, which is why ‘safety first’ is one of our core values. Most importantly, we don't tolerate bullying and would appreciate the opportunity to understand more and investigate fully. You can contact me confidentially on sophie.krempasky@sgn.co.uk or 0131 469 1931. Thank you again for sharing and for your 5+ years of service at SGN.

Viewing 11 - 20 of 140 Reviews