SGN Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

John Morea
  1. "My Thoughts On SGN"

Current Employee - Network Support Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working here is interesting and keeps bringing new challenges. In my roll every day is different. I appreciate some rolls might not be as varied, however there are plenty of opportunities to progress and find new challenges within SGN. SGN is also making changes to the way we work and making our working practices fit for the present and future. This is proving to be an interesting and rewarding journey.... Additionally over the next twenty or thirty years the UK gas industry could potentially see changes that are even more far reaching than the introduction of natural gas last century. I could not think of a more exciting industry to work in.

Cons

Change can bring worry, but it is better to view change as an opportunity.

Advice to Management

I think that our preparations for the future are quite conservative. With "net-zero" on the horizon I think we need to take a more radical approach especially when taking into account the age of an asset.

SGN2019-06-17

June 28, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks very much for the five-star review! We couldn’t agree more that the gas industry is an exciting place to be! With the variety of roles on offer and plenty of opportunities for progression it’s the perfect time to join SGN!

2. "Great employer"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work responsibilities Work life balance Excellent support for success

Cons

Organic growth opportunities are limited

SGN2019-06-16

June 28, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for your recent review - we love hearing that you think we’re a great employer! As you mentioned, depending on the business area you work in, organic growth opportunities can be limited but we hope by focusing on talent and succession planning, this will improve. There are lots of great things about working at SGN and we hope you continue to enjoy them!

3. "Team leader"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Dundee, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good teams, high work morale.

Cons

Very long hours especially in the winter.

SGN2019-06-14

June 28, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks a million for your rating and review! Winter is our busiest time which means the demand on our people can increase considerably. We want to make sure we strike a balance that works for our business and our people so we’re reviewing our arrangements for managing working time and fatigue in conjunction with our Trade Union representatives. It’s great to hear that you’ve got a great team and morale is high in Dundee! Thanks again for your review.

4. "Company making pay cut backs."

Current Employee - FCO in London, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Always get paid on time. Good pension.

Cons

Unsociable hours which pay doesn’t reflect. Managers bully people, false promises. Company constantly looking at ways to cut pay. Employees treated differently. Engineers doing the same job get paid less than others. Company can’t retain their staff. 80% of engineers are not happy. We all come to work to make a living and pay the bills yet pay is poor and not had a pay rise in years yet SGN expect you to work... 15-16 hours for poor pay and give a 10/10 service. No sick pay/ where other engineers get it. Working long hours and sometimes in poor conditions your more susceptible to sickness. SGN management rarely reward engineers verbally. A simple well done or good job would be nice. They keep adding more and more to do on jobs yet dont allow the time to do it. Therefore sometimes you can feel rushed either by the office or management. You work unsociable hours and days yet get the minimum allowance for holiday annually. Engineers that done this job 30 years ago earned more money than engineers do now.

Advice to Management

Pay your engineers the same money as your taking new starters on. Praise your engineers more for doing a good job. Sort your IT out. Makes day to day life hard having tablets that constantly fail. Improve morale of your engineers and you’ll get a better job out of them.

SGN2019-07-20

August 14, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for sharing your views and giving us the opportunity to address some of your concerns. One of the commitments we’ve made to our customers involves delivering a service which offers value for money. This means we need to look at ways of working more efficiently and effectively but it doesn’t mean cutting pay for those carrying out the work. Our people are the heart of our business and we’re always looking at how we can improve things for our employees. The pay deal agreed in 2018 has seen considerable improvements in pay and other terms and conditions, e.g. sick pay and pension contributions for SGNC colleagues and will continue to provide benefits for the remainder of the deal. We’ve had a lot of positive feedback from our people about these changes. We know that our current IT infrastructure needs to be improved and we’ve embarked on an ambitious project to upgrade our network. The project team have been posting regular updates on SGNapp and DigitalHub so take a look here for the latest news. Also, we’re aware that some users have been experiencing performance issues with their tablets and plan to replace 2,200 tablets with brand new devices. The roll-out planned to start late-September and expected to take between four and five months with our field force being prioritised.

5. "Good company with good progression. Other departments possibly not"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

Good pay, overtime available, progression

Cons

Other department managers can be bullies

Advice to Management

Step up for the workers, don’t just be yes men

SGN2019-05-12

May 28, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks for your recent rating and review. It’s great to hear that your experience at SGN has been positive. If you’re aware of any issues in other departments, please get in contact with a member of our HR team or encourage colleagues in that department to highlight their concerns. It’s important we have the opportunity to investigate potential problems to ensure everyone has a positive experience at work.

6. "Great company and Team"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at SGN full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone helps each other, I am treated like a grown up, SGN invest in me and support me with my professional ambitions. SGN support the outward bound trust and allow its employers to go away with the trust as a mentor to the students.

Cons

Company car process is a pain. Pool cars are of limited choice and you may be lumbered with it for a year or so. IT - delivery of equipment for new starters is slow which leaves them sitting on their thumbs a-bit in the first few weeks PPE - really slow but hopefully a new ordering process has sorted that one out

Advice to Management

Carry on moving in the right direction. Do not forget that the most important asset to SGN is its people.

SGN2019-05-10

May 28, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We couldn’t agree with you more on the point about our people being our greatest asset. We have a number of great initiatives for our people to get involved in and the Outward Bound Trust is one example of this. As you highlighted, there are areas we can get quicker and smarter so I’ll be sure to pass your feedback on.

7. "Not a Bad Company"

Current Employee - Network Record Assistant in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great People to work with

Cons

IT Systems are not up to scratch

Advice to Management

Sort out IT systems and we can do our job more efficiently

SGN2019-05-10

May 28, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for your review. We have to agree with you on both points; the people at SGN are truly great to work with and our IT infrastructure needs to be improved. You’ll be pleased to hear that we’re doing something about this and we’ve just embarked on an ambitious project to modernise our communications network. The project, which will run in two phases, is expected to be complete by April 2020 and will ensure a considerably improved user-experience. If you’d like to find out more search ‘Improving our IT network’ on DigitalHub to read the article published on 2 April.

8. "Honest opinion"

Current Employee - FCO/Team Leader in Dunfermline, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great pay if your willing to put the hours in. Pension Scheme has improved recently. A few decent company benefits such as cheaper Gym membership, Cycle to work scheme etc. Job security as long as you follow rules and procedures. Great opportunities for further development. All round decent job.

Cons

I am multi skilled. Fully trained team leader and FCO. Fully trained in Industrual Commercial work and take on projects often. I'm also a district assessor and I receive no extra pay for taking on these duties. Industrial Commercial tickets are required and that part of the gas safe has to be renewed every 5 years. This is harder than the normal gas safe and the day to day work holds much more responsibility. Other... staff get paid more for extra responsibility so i feel there is an unfair pay issue. Long hours with unpaid breaks can lead to fatigue especially in the busy winter months.

Advice to Management

Please amend unfair pay issues. Extra responsibility should mean extra pay. I feel the Industrial Conmercial ticket holders should be paid for this. District assessors also. I'm happy to take on more responsibility but I'd like to be paid more than the guys who avoid such responsibility.

SGN2019-05-08

May 24, 2019Employee Experience Officer

The following response has been provided by Val Scott, HR Business Partner: Thanks so much for sharing your feedback. Like you pointed out in your review, we’ve got a lot to offer! A few of the improvements that you highlighted (discounted gym memberships and improved pension terms) were introduced as a result of employee feedback. We really value feedback and its ideas and suggestions like these that allow us to keep improving our employee offering. If you have concerns about your remuneration, I’d be happy to have a confidential discussion. You can contact me on val.scott@sgn.co.uk or my number is available on DigitalHub.

9. "Rewarding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Rewarding, ambitious IT department. Supportive team and lots of autonomy. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Immature processes due to a lot of change and a lot of legacy issues.

Advice to Management

Listen to the team and cascade information. Need to work horizontally and vertically to get the best of out of the people. Going in the right direction.

SGN2019-05-08

May 28, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for sharing your feedback. All of our colleagues make an incredibly valuable and important contribution to our business so it’s great to hear you describe working at SGN as rewarding. You make some good suggestions about sharing information and working collaboratively so we will be sure to share your feedback.

10. "SGN"

Current Employee - Performance Manager in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Job for life if you want it

Cons

Can be old fashioned at times

SGN2019-04-23

May 28, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for leaving us a review, we appreciate your feedback! We recognise that some of our processes and procedures are in need of modernisation but we've got a number of initiatives underway, in HR and IT in particular. It will take time for these changes to be implemented and embedded but will help to make things more efficient for all of our people.

Found 93 reviews