SGN Reviews

SGN CEO John Morea
John Morea
  1. "Pay"

Current Employee - Gas Engineer

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

Pay is good and people friendly

Cons

Don't have any issues with them

September 2, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks for your five-star review. It's great to hear you only have good things to say about working here. We hope your journey at SGN continues to be a positive one.

2. "Good"

4.0
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good team and good working conditions

Cons

I have no cons to give about them

August 14, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for your positive review. It’s great to see you only have good things to say about working at SGN. We value suggestions from all of our people and we’ll be re-introducing our employee opinion survey next month to give our people the chance to have their say. Make sure to fill it out and encourage your team to get involved too!

"Staff should be the heart of this business"

Current Employee - Customer Support in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for less than a year

Pros

Majority of staff are extremely genuine and good to work with

Cons

When speaking with other staff at SGN everyone sounds so downtrodden, underpaid and overworked seems the mantra here - old school managers that really need to be brought into this century - so many layers to the contracts here, no one is on the same which leads to a massive divide -

August 14, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We couldn’t agree more with the subject of your review, putting people at the heart is one of our values and part of the SGN Way. Over the past few months our HR and Services Director has carried out a number of workshops with our people to find out what’s working well and where we could improve. The sessions revealed a lot of interesting insights and perspectives with many participants commenting on how great a place SGN is to work. We know there’s always room for improvement and we’ll be inviting colleagues to share their views in our employee opinion survey next month.

"Worst managers ever"

1.0
    Former Employee - Administrator in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England

I worked at SGN full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lovely colleagues, a couple of nice senior managers.

Cons

Manager and supervisor are bullies, constant sniggering and whispering. Genuinely horrible people. Will not praise any good work you have done unless told to do so by senior managers. No care for employees welfare, lack of compassion and absolutely no managerial skills between them. Extremely rude people and the admin manager doesn’t have a clue what jobs her staff do or how they’re done, relies on everyone else to do the work for her. High turnover of staff as they can’t keep hold of anyone due to how awful they are as managers.

September 2, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for leaving an honest account of your experience working at SGN. It's pleasing to hear you worked with some fantastic people and concerning to hear about other aspects of your experience. We don't tolerate bullying and would appreciate the opportunity to understand more and investigate fully. You can contact me confidentially on kirstin.gemmell@sgn.co.uk or 07970 127 348. Many thanks.

5. "Gas"

Current Employee - Gas Operative in Dundee, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits and good career opportunities

Cons

There is none so far I’ve only just started

August 14, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, we really value employee feedback! It's great to hear that your experience so far has been positive and we hope you have a long and happy career at SGN.

"Good work life balance in office, but outdated processes and systems"

I worked at SGN full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible working, good team environment

Cons

Poor systems and processes make it a challenge day to day to get the job done

August 7, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks for your recent rating and review. We completely agree that the “we’ve always done it that way” mindset isn’t helpful or conducive to continuous improvement. Our operational excellence approach involves eliminating, reducing, innovating, controlling and automating aspects of our processes and procedures to allow us to do things more efficiently and effectively. This is an approach the Operational Excellence project team are rolling out to deliver quick wins and help us prepare for GD2. We’re always looking at how we can keep improving for our colleagues and our customers and encourage our people to submit their ideas through the Ignite initiative or by highlighting to their manager. Wishing you all the best for the future.

7. "My Thoughts On SGN"

Current Employee - Network Support Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working here is interesting and keeps bringing new challenges. In my roll every day is different. I appreciate some rolls might not be as varied, however there are plenty of opportunities to progress and find new challenges within SGN. SGN is also making changes to the way we work and making our working practices fit for the present and future. This is proving to be an interesting and rewarding journey. Additionally over the next twenty or thirty years the UK gas industry could potentially see changes that are even more far reaching than the introduction of natural gas last century. I could not think of a more exciting industry to work in.

Cons

Change can bring worry, but it is better to view change as an opportunity.

June 28, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks very much for the five-star review! We couldn’t agree more that the gas industry is an exciting place to be! With the variety of roles on offer and plenty of opportunities for progression it’s the perfect time to join SGN!

8. "Great employer"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work responsibilities Work life balance Excellent support for success

Cons

Organic growth opportunities are limited

June 28, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for your recent review - we love hearing that you think we’re a great employer! As you mentioned, depending on the business area you work in, organic growth opportunities can be limited but we hope by focusing on talent and succession planning, this will improve. There are lots of great things about working at SGN and we hope you continue to enjoy them!

9. "Team leader"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Dundee, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good teams, high work morale.

Cons

Very long hours especially in the winter.

June 28, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks a million for your rating and review! Winter is our busiest time which means the demand on our people can increase considerably. We want to make sure we strike a balance that works for our business and our people so we’re reviewing our arrangements for managing working time and fatigue in conjunction with our Trade Union representatives. It’s great to hear that you’ve got a great team and morale is high in Dundee! Thanks again for your review.

"Company making pay cut backs."

1.0
    Current Employee - FCO in London, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Always get paid on time. Good pension.

Cons

Unsociable hours which pay doesn’t reflect. Managers bully people, false promises. Company constantly looking at ways to cut pay. Employees treated differently. Engineers doing the same job get paid less than others. Company can’t retain their staff. 80% of engineers are not happy. We all come to work to make a living and pay the bills yet pay is poor and not had a pay rise in years yet SGN expect you to work 15-16 hours for poor pay and give a 10/10 service. No sick pay/ where other engineers get it. Working long hours and sometimes in poor conditions your more susceptible to sickness. SGN management rarely reward engineers verbally. A simple well done or good job would be nice. They keep adding more and more to do on jobs yet dont allow the time to do it. Therefore sometimes you can feel rushed either by the office or management. You work unsociable hours and days yet get the minimum allowance for holiday annually. Engineers that done this job 30 years ago earned more money than engineers do now.

August 14, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for sharing your views and giving us the opportunity to address some of your concerns. One of the commitments we’ve made to our customers involves delivering a service which offers value for money. This means we need to look at ways of working more efficiently and effectively but it doesn’t mean cutting pay for those carrying out the work. Our people are the heart of our business and we’re always looking at how we can improve things for our employees. The pay deal agreed in 2018 has seen considerable improvements in pay and other terms and conditions, e.g. sick pay and pension contributions for SGNC colleagues and will continue to provide benefits for the remainder of the deal. We’ve had a lot of positive feedback from our people about these changes. We know that our current IT infrastructure needs to be improved and we’ve embarked on an ambitious project to upgrade our network. The project team have been posting regular updates on SGNapp and DigitalHub so take a look here for the latest news. Also, we’re aware that some users have been experiencing performance issues with their tablets and plan to replace 2,200 tablets with brand new devices. The roll-out planned to start late-September and expected to take between four and five months with our field force being prioritised.

Found 113 reviews