SGN Reviews

Updated 6 Jul 2020

3.7
SGN CEO John Morea
John Morea
  1. "Good company with good progression. Other departments possibly not"

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

Good pay, overtime available, progression

Cons

Other department managers can be bullies

May 28, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks for your recent rating and review. It’s great to hear that your experience at SGN has been positive. If you’re aware of any issues in other departments, please get in contact with a member of our HR team or encourage colleagues in that department to highlight their concerns. It’s important we have the opportunity to investigate potential problems to ensure everyone has a positive experience at work.

2. "PC obsessed"

Former Employee - Management

I worked at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good terms & conditions , Working with some great people

Cons

Senior Managers who have been fast tracked know very little about what we are about & are SGN robots.

November 26, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks for leaving us a review. We are continuing to roll out our Manager Essentials programme; equipping new and existing managers with the skills they need to manage high performing teams. We've had some excellent feedback on this so far and look forward to delivering this more widely. We'll be sure to take the rest of your feedback on board. Thank you for your 10+ years service at SGN and wishing you all the best for the future.

3. "Great company and Team"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at SGN full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone helps each other, I am treated like a grown up, SGN invest in me and support me with my professional ambitions. SGN support the outward bound trust and allow its employers to go away with the trust as a mentor to the students.

Cons

Company car process is a pain. Pool cars are of limited choice and you may be lumbered with it for a year or so. IT - delivery of equipment for new starters is slow which leaves them sitting on their thumbs a-bit in the first few weeks PPE - really slow but hopefully a new ordering process has sorted that one out

May 28, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We couldn’t agree with you more on the point about our people being our greatest asset. We have a number of great initiatives for our people to get involved in and the Outward Bound Trust is one example of this. As you highlighted, there are areas we can get quicker and smarter so I’ll be sure to pass your feedback on.

4. "Not a Bad Company"

4.0
    Current Employee - Network Record Assistant in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great People to work with

Cons

IT Systems are not up to scratch

May 28, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for your review. We have to agree with you on both points; the people at SGN are truly great to work with and our IT infrastructure needs to be improved. You’ll be pleased to hear that we’re doing something about this and we’ve just embarked on an ambitious project to modernise our communications network. The project, which will run in two phases, is expected to be complete by April 2020 and will ensure a considerably improved user-experience. If you’d like to find out more search ‘Improving our IT network’ on DigitalHub to read the article published on 2 April.

5. "Asset Records Support Assistant"

5.0
    Current Employee - Asset Records Support Assistant in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly & welcoming staff. Great work drive and ethics with incentives in place to encourage performance.

Cons

I had a pay issue on one occasion, which once brought to the attention of the appropriate department was quickly resolved (so not completely a con).

6. "Honest opinion"

Current Employee - FCO/Team Leader in Dunfermline, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great pay if your willing to put the hours in. Pension Scheme has improved recently. A few decent company benefits such as cheaper Gym membership, Cycle to work scheme etc. Job security as long as you follow rules and procedures. Great opportunities for further development. All round decent job.

Cons

I am multi skilled. Fully trained team leader and FCO. Fully trained in Industrual Commercial work and take on projects often. I'm also a district assessor and I receive no extra pay for taking on these duties. Industrial Commercial tickets are required and that part of the gas safe has to be renewed every 5 years. This is harder than the normal gas safe and the day to day work holds much more responsibility. Other staff get paid more for extra responsibility so i feel there is an unfair pay issue. Long hours with unpaid breaks can lead to fatigue especially in the busy winter months.

May 24, 2019Employee Experience Officer

The following response has been provided by Val Scott, HR Business Partner: Thanks so much for sharing your feedback. Like you pointed out in your review, we’ve got a lot to offer! A few of the improvements that you highlighted (discounted gym memberships and improved pension terms) were introduced as a result of employee feedback. We really value feedback and its ideas and suggestions like these that allow us to keep improving our employee offering. If you have concerns about your remuneration, I’d be happy to have a confidential discussion. You can contact me on val.scott@sgn.co.uk or my number is available on DigitalHub.

7. "Rewarding"

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Rewarding, ambitious IT department. Supportive team and lots of autonomy. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Immature processes due to a lot of change and a lot of legacy issues.

May 28, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for sharing your feedback. All of our colleagues make an incredibly valuable and important contribution to our business so it’s great to hear you describe working at SGN as rewarding. You make some good suggestions about sharing information and working collaboratively so we will be sure to share your feedback.

8. "SGN"

Current Employee - Performance Manager in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Job for life if you want it

Cons

Can be old fashioned at times

May 28, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for leaving us a review, we appreciate your feedback! We recognise that some of our processes and procedures are in need of modernisation but we've got a number of initiatives underway, in HR and IT in particular. It will take time for these changes to be implemented and embedded but will help to make things more efficient for all of our people.

9. "A good place to work"

4.0

I have been working at SGN part-time

Pros

Nice people, interesting work, supportive line manager, opportunities for development. Not micro managed. Ideas get listened to.

Cons

Can be frustratingly slow. Office environment is not great. Lots of unnecessarily long and dull meetings. Lots of long reports to create and read.

April 30, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for leaving us a review, we’re delighted you think SGN is a good place to work! We appreciate your advice and understand the pace of change can be frustrating, this is often due to the highly regulated nature of our work but we are committed to improving for our colleagues and our customers. And we’d encourage you to share your feedback about meetings with your line manager. It sounds like you’ve got a great manager who is receptive to feedback so it may be something they can act on.

"Strong and stable, like the Conservative Party"

1.0

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

If you keep your head down and work hard, after a number of years you might be allowed to watch newer employees being rewarded.

Cons

What can I say that hasn't already been said? Go look at the other reviews for a more in depth summary.

May 28, 2019Employee Experience Officer

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. A number of our reviews have highlighted that there are lots of opportunities for progression and development at SGN. We have measures in place to make sure opportunities are awarded fairly but if you don’t think this is the case please raise your concerns to your manager. It could also be beneficial to speak with your manager about your career aspirations as they may be able to offer help and support to allow you to achieve these.

Found 113 reviews