SGN Reviews

John Morea

"Honest opinion"

Current Employee - FCO/Team Leader in Dunfermline, Scotland, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great pay if your willing to put the hours in. Pension Scheme has improved recently. A few decent company benefits such as cheaper Gym membership, Cycle to work scheme etc. Job security as long as you follow rules and procedures. Great opportunities for further development. All round decent job.

Cons

I am multi skilled. Fully trained team leader and FCO. Fully trained in Industrual Commercial work and take on projects often. I'm also a district assessor and I receive no extra pay for taking on these duties. Industrial Commercial tickets are required and that part of the gas safe has to be renewed every 5 years. This is harder than the normal gas safe and the day to day work holds much more responsibility. Other staff get paid more for extra responsibility so i feel there is an unfair pay issue. Long hours with unpaid breaks can lead to fatigue especially in the busy winter months.

May 24, 2019Employee Experience Officer

The following response has been provided by Val Scott, HR Business Partner: Thanks so much for sharing your feedback. Like you pointed out in your review, we’ve got a lot to offer! A few of the improvements that you highlighted (discounted gym memberships and improved pension terms) were introduced as a result of employee feedback. We really value feedback and its ideas and suggestions like these that allow us to keep improving our employee offering. If you have concerns about your remuneration, I’d be happy to have a confidential discussion. You can contact me on val.scott@sgn.co.uk or my number is available on DigitalHub.

2. "Pipeline Engineer"

Current Employee - Pipeline Engineer in Aberdeen, Scotland, Scotland
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

Good Staff and working environment. Good benefits

Cons

Pay too low. Not much job progression.

May 12, 2020Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for your recent review and for sharing your insights. Job progression is normally an area where we get lots of positive feedback but we understand progression in some areas can be quite limited and it's not always possible to achieve some aspirations. I would encourage you to speak to your manager or HR Manager to find out what development opportunities are available and how they might be able to support you. Work with your manager to set clear objectives, aligned with supporting your development. Best of luck!

"Company making pay cut backs."

1.0
    Current Employee - FCO in London, England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Always get paid on time. Good pension.

Cons

Unsociable hours which pay doesn’t reflect. Managers bully people, false promises. Company constantly looking at ways to cut pay. Employees treated differently. Engineers doing the same job get paid less than others. Company can’t retain their staff. 80% of engineers are not happy. We all come to work to make a living and pay the bills yet pay is poor and not had a pay rise in years yet SGN expect you to work 15-16 hours for poor pay and give a 10/10 service. No sick pay/ where other engineers get it. Working long hours and sometimes in poor conditions your more susceptible to sickness. SGN management rarely reward engineers verbally. A simple well done or good job would be nice. They keep adding more and more to do on jobs yet dont allow the time to do it. Therefore sometimes you can feel rushed either by the office or management. You work unsociable hours and days yet get the minimum allowance for holiday annually. Engineers that done this job 30 years ago earned more money than engineers do now.

August 14, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for sharing your views and giving us the opportunity to address some of your concerns. One of the commitments we’ve made to our customers involves delivering a service which offers value for money. This means we need to look at ways of working more efficiently and effectively but it doesn’t mean cutting pay for those carrying out the work. Our people are the heart of our business and we’re always looking at how we can improve things for our employees. The pay deal agreed in 2018 has seen considerable improvements in pay and other terms and conditions, e.g. sick pay and pension contributions for SGNC colleagues and will continue to provide benefits for the remainder of the deal. We’ve had a lot of positive feedback from our people about these changes. We know that our current IT infrastructure needs to be improved and we’ve embarked on an ambitious project to upgrade our network. The project team have been posting regular updates on SGNapp and DigitalHub so take a look here for the latest news. Also, we’re aware that some users have been experiencing performance issues with their tablets and plan to replace 2,200 tablets with brand new devices. The roll-out planned to start late-September and expected to take between four and five months with our field force being prioritised.

4. "A job for life."

Current Employee - First Call Operative in London, England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you're a grafter, can follow procedures & instructions, and eager to earn good money, this job is right up your street. Answer your phone when on call and you can expect £50k + per annum without even trying.

Cons

Long hours - but you're financially compensated very well. Core hours work life balance is good if you're satisfied with the basic salary. This is NOT a role for a lazy individual who wants to get paid for nothing.

November 26, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for taking the time to share your views! The role of First Call Operative is incredibly important and we realise it can be demanding so it's important we compensate fairly for this. It's great to hear you consider SGN a job for life and we hope you enjoy a long and fulfilling career with us.

5. "Great work life balance"

Current Employee - Administration Supervisor in Dunfermline, Scotland, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than a year

Pros

Dunfermline depot has a great senior management team very approachable and provide good support to all staff in all departments. The working hours are family friendly and you are encouraged to get involved with learning all about the industry which is important if you would like to progress further in your career.

Cons

As with all organisations communication could be improved.

6. "My Thoughts On SGN"

Current Employee - Network Support Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working here is interesting and keeps bringing new challenges. In my roll every day is different. I appreciate some rolls might not be as varied, however there are plenty of opportunities to progress and find new challenges within SGN. SGN is also making changes to the way we work and making our working practices fit for the present and future. This is proving to be an interesting and rewarding journey. Additionally over the next twenty or thirty years the UK gas industry could potentially see changes that are even more far reaching than the introduction of natural gas last century. I could not think of a more exciting industry to work in.

Cons

Change can bring worry, but it is better to view change as an opportunity.

June 28, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks very much for the five-star review! We couldn’t agree more that the gas industry is an exciting place to be! With the variety of roles on offer and plenty of opportunities for progression it’s the perfect time to join SGN!

7. "Great company to work for"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Test Manager in Portsmouth, South East England, England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for less than a year

Pros

Its a dynamic business, really up and coming in their technology, a fast paced and exciting place to work at the sharp end of today's technology. I find most the people here are really down to earth, minimising on the fluff and jargon, they actually get on with the work! I am well supported by my manager and I feel appreciated. Incredibly busy, but the work life balance is good! It is still early days in the business, but so far so good.

Cons

Its a bit chaotic at times, lots going on. Office is very industrial and dated compared to other businesses I have worked in, limited on facilities, basic canteen, no gym and located in an industrial estate.

November 6, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for leaving us a review. It's great to hear you think SGN is a great company to work for! We hope you continue to enjoy working here and being part of the SGN family.

8. "excellent"

Current Employee - First Call Operative in Aldershot, England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for less than a year

Pros

management very supportive and commited to staff

Cons

vehicle supply, theory training dates availability

April 14, 2020Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for your "excellent" review! It's great to hear your experience at SGN has been positive so far and we hope you enjoy a long and fulfilling career with us.

9. "Great company to work for"

5.0
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are structures in place to help you move up the different pay scales Progression is there if you want it You have targets to achieve but you are also in charge of your own workload

Cons

Can be quite stressful having to rely on others to be able to successfully do your job

January 17, 2020Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for your recent review. It's great to read such positive comments from someone early into their career at SGN. Like you highlighted, there's lots of scope for progression here which we hope you enjoy throughout your career with us.

10. "Challenging but enjoyable"

4.0
    Current Employee - Enterprise Architect in Portsmouth, South East England, England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of challenging work but good chance to develop skills

Cons

Slow to progress new technologies and architecture directins

March 4, 2020Employee Experience Officer

Thanks for your recent review. We understand the pace of change can sometimes be frustrating, this is often due to the highly regulated nature of our work but we're committed to continuously improving and making efficiencies where we can. We hope you continue to enjoy the work and keep developing.

Viewing 31 - 40 of 139 Reviews