SGN Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Found 93 reviews

3.6
SGN CEO John Morea
John Morea

"Anonymous employee Orpington Depot"

I have been working at SGN

Pros

People- Take pride in work but under continual stress due to many experienced staff leaving and no direction from management

Cons

Bullying /fear culture. Lack of leadership. Will not invest in any initiatives that cost money and only interested in immediate returns.

Advice to Management

Recruit some experienced staff

SGN2019-02-01

March 13, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for your recent review. One of the challenges we’re facing at the moment is that a large cohort of our workforce are entering retirement which means we’re at risk of losing valuable skills and knowledge. Whilst it’s never nice to lose talent, it does create new opportunities for our people to progress. We’re working hard on upskilling colleagues to avoid a skills gap and ensure vital information is retained. Your reference to a bullying/fear culture is troubling as we do not tolerate bullying or intimidating behaviour of any kind. In order to help us understand and address these issues, I’d be grateful if you would get in touch with me confidentially on kirstin.gemmell@sgn.co.uk. Alternatively you could contact your local HR Business Partner Iain Fourniss on iain.fourniss@sgn.co.uk

"Not a great place to be in"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England

I worked at SGN full-time for more than a year

Pros

not a lot...just for holding a paying job

Cons

A lot, from Management to structure of the company. A lot of nepotism and favoritism. Complete disregard of staff.

SGN2019-01-13

January 21, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of working at SGN. We’re working hard on building our brand to attract a more diverse range of candidates and we’re committed to ensuring fairness and objectivity when it comes to hiring, developing and progressing our people. Wishing you all the best for the future.

3. "A career in SGN"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

An exciting innovative Company moving forward with the changing legislation and technology. Provides a diverse range of career opportunities in many different processes/work streams. Excellent training, secure employment, good benefits, competitive pay, opportunities for progression based on ability and ambition

Cons

Operates a 24/7/365 Emergency service protecting life and property, so some relevant work streams are required to work a stand by rota on call for emergencies out of hours on a rota basis for gas escapes. Compensatory rest time applies if called out with generous associated pay

SGN2018-12-06

December 19, 2018Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for your positive review. As you highlighted, there’s lots of great things about working for SGN and we’re working hard to make things even better. Like you mentioned, some of our roles do operate a standby rota and during the winter period, it can become particularly busy. In recognition of this we do pay enhancements for unsociable hours and we’re looking into how we can improve working hours during winter. We’ve made changes in some of our depots and we’ll be working with our TU colleagues to carry out a full review in 2019 with a view to making significant improvements next winter.

"Good company with good prospects if willing to work hard"

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work ethic in relation to safety. Generally management is good and training is being provided to ensure management skills are improved. If you are a hard worker SGN will invest in you and you can have a variety of opportunities to follow and create a great long-term career.

Cons

As with a lot of companies, management often should listen more to input from the workers as we all have good ideas and a voices. Although this seems to be improving and hopefully will continue to.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff- we all care and want the company to do well. It is a benefit for all.

SGN2018-11-28

December 19, 2018Employee Experience Officer

Thanks a million for taking the time to leave us a review. We really do value ideas, suggestions and feedback from our employees; it’s why we put so much emphasis recently on raising awareness of our Glassdoor page to highlight another channel our people might use to share their views. You might remember that we ran a diversity and inclusion survey earlier this month and conducted a series of interviews with employees. The comments and insights shared by colleagues have been instrumental in helping to shape the next phase of our D&I programme. We’ll be sharing more information on this shortly! This week, we’ve invited a number of colleagues to take part in sessions in Scotland and the south to get their thoughts on a benefits provider we’re considering partnering with. It’s so important to us to know what our people think and we’re trying hard to get employees more involved in decision-making where we can.

"Great place to work"

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than a year

Pros

there is lots of support and knowledge available to help you if you ask. the company really looks after its most valuable assets (the staff) and senior management are approachable.

Cons

The IT systems are still in need of bringing in line with other organisations, they are slow and very dated, I know changes have been made and since O365 has been rolled out things are looking on the up but still a long way to go.

Advice to Management

harvest as much information as you can from all the 'old school' employees, you have a massive amount of knowledge and skills walking out the door on a daily basis when they retire but nobody is harvesting and documenting that knowledge

SGN2018-11-23

December 13, 2018Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for your recent review! As I’m sure you’ll already know, ‘putting people at the heart’ is one of our company values so it’s great to hear that you feel we’ve got this right when it comes to our employees. With respect to IT, we’ve made some progress recently and there are lots of exciting developments still to come. We’ve just signed off the first stage of a multi-million pound investment in our IT network across all of SGN which will increase capacity and connectivity for both office and field-based colleagues. Our Director of IT, Andrew Quail posted an update on Yammer recently if you’d like to read more. And our colleagues, older colleagues especially, have lots of valuable knowledge to share. We have a ROCK (retention of critical knowledge) scheme designed to ensure we capture this information and keep it within the organisation. We’d welcome any other ideas you might have to help us achieve this, please feel free to get in touch with me directly - 07970 127 348/Kirstin.gemmell@sgn.co.uk

"It's a good place to be :-)"

Current Employee - Senior IT Analyst in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people, a fantastic place to work !!

Cons

Sometimes having to deal with third parties is difficult, but that can happen at any place if employment.

Advice to Management

Keep rhe excellent work up listening to staff and engaging them in decisions.

SGN2018-11-14

November 26, 2018Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for leaving us a great review. Employee feedback is so important to us so we’ll be certain to keep listening to our people and involving them where we can!

"It's a good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aldershot, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people I work alongside make my day, we help one another and there is always someone you can ask. The work itself is a challenge and I like a challenge. I have been with SGN for just a short while (a year and a half) and I can honestly say that SGN have given me more than I expected. I am always hungry to learn and they have recognised this and 'fed me' and for this I will always be grateful.

Cons

Sometimes people can feel overlooked, it's a big company and you can feel as though nobody has noticed how hard you have worked everyday, a lot of good people do a good job on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Look after the 'little people' sometimes just a well done is enough to make someones day and keep them on the track to success.

SGN2018-11-16

November 29, 2018Employee Experience Officer

Thanks for the five-star review! We’re so pleased to hear that you’re enjoying life at SGN and making the most of the opportunities that are available. The work our people do across all levels and locations is hugely important and is critical in enabling us to deliver our promises to our customers and innovate for a safe, secure and sustainable future for our network. We truly value the individual contributions of all ~4,000 of our people; together we’re achieving great things! We completely take on board your advice and will cascade this to the extended leadership team. A little bit of recognition can make a big difference so genuine thanks for taking the time to leave this review and for helping to shape our employer brand.

"about the company"

Current Employee - Facilities Coordinator in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great Company to work for, always friendly, flexible hours, near gatwick easy for train journey

Cons

near a local town not many shops to explore loads of cafe's

Advice to Management

talk and listening to your staff

SGN2018-11-13

November 22, 2018Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review, we’re proud that you consider us a great company to work for. Talking and listening to our people is hugely valuable so we’ll make sure to keep using our existing channels like focus sessions, surveys and interviews while we explore newer channels like Glassdoor.

9. "Plenty of opportunities to progress"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

Progressions The people you work with are amazing Salary is decent

Cons

Management is very poor... Hours are not very flexible around appointments, commitments etc If you are sick, prepare to pay for it!

Advice to Management

Get new management in to do the job they should be doing now!!!!!

SGN2018-12-04

December 19, 2018Employee Experience Officer

Many thanks for your recent review. We can relate to your comment about the people at SGN being amazing. It’s the people at SGN across all sites, levels and directorates that make it such a great place to work. Our people do an incredible job every day to make sure we deliver for our customers and stakeholders and we truly value the work all 4,000 of our colleagues do. It would be helpful to understand more about your dissatisfaction with management and discuss any suggestions you have for how things might be improved. Please get in touch with me confidentially on 07970 127 348 or Kirstin.gemmell@sgn.co.uk or speak to your local HR Manager.

"Excellent company to work for that has a lot of opportunities to progress your career"

Current Employee - Technical Assistant in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good people and good at working together as a team.

Cons

None as far as I know

SGN2018-11-12

November 22, 2018Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for your positive review. The people at SGN really are great and achieve fantastic things when working together as a team!

Found 93 reviews