SGN Reviews

1. "FCO"

1.0
    Former Employee - FCO
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at SGN full-time for less than a year

Pros

Varied work can keep the job interesting , but overall not many pros

Cons

Certain Management have bully boy tactics but seem to be allowed to get away with it . Standby is far to excessive and not healthy working 17 hour days and being expected to go out in middle of night after that . Pay for the responsibility the job carrys is shocking. High turn over of staff yet no one questions why.

June 28, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Many thanks for your recent review. Please be assured that accusations of bullying and intimidating behaviour are taken extremely seriously. When issues of this nature are highlighted to our HR team they are investigated promptly and thoroughly to ensure the appropriate action is taken. With respect to your comments on standby we are currently reviewing our arrangements for managing working time and fatigue in conjunction with our Trade Union representatives. The health and welfare of our people is paramount which is why ‘safety first’ is one of our core values. Thank you for your sharing your experiences of working at SGN and wishing you all the best for your future.

2. "Status"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Dundee, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work as part of a team

Cons

Called out at 3am sometimes

April 30, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks very much for leaving us a review. We value all employee feedback.

3. "Great company"

5.0
    Current Employee - NC01 in Epsom, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Look after there staff

Cons

Need better vechiles and tools

April 17, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks a million for your 5-star rating! Our people are the heart of our business and we couldn’t do what we do without them. On your point about company vehicles, we recently announced that the commercial fleet renewal resulted in the purchase of 181 new vans done-up to full repair team spec. Check out the ‘50 shades of...silver’ article on Digital Hub to find out more. I’ll make sure to pass on your feedback about the company tools.

4. "Working for SGN Maintenance"

Current Employee - Maintenance Craftsperson in Fareham, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Employees with wide range of backgrounds and different ages has made it an interesting place to work for me. I get on well most of my work colleagues and can tolerate the ones I'm not too keen on.

Cons

some of the older employees who transferred over from Transco ( formerly British Gas) are on considerably better terms and conditions and this has caused a fair bit of bad feeling over the years. But that said the company have improved Terms and conditions recently and hopefully that will continue in the future.

April 30, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for your recent review. Like you mentioned, over the years SGN has had many faces which has resulted in some different sets of terms and conditions for our people. We’ve been working closely with colleagues and TU reps to address inconsistencies and improve our offering and feedback has been really positive. We appreciate you sharing your feedback and we’ll be sure to take this on board.

"Depends on department"

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

I’ve worked for SGN for a few years, I’ve recently changed department. My new department is excellent, constant opportunity for development, regular one to ones and pay reviews, real “community” feel within the team. Management are flexible with appointments. Everyone in the team works well together, including high management offering help and guidance, and including themselves as part of the team.

Cons

The old department I used to work in was completely different. There was degrading comments made from management across the board to nearly every member of staff. There was bullying from management, and other managers taking credit for work done by others lower down. Definite and obvious favouritism in the workplace - certain members of staff were over worked with little to no praise when others did bare minimum and received constant praise. No consideration for mental health/health needs. Extra work added to people who are already struggling and told they just need to deal with it, offering no help or support. Really bad work environment / morale due to atmosphere made by management.

April 17, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. It’s great to hear that you’re enjoying working in your new department and your new team is working well together. It’s unfortunate that your experience of working at SGN hasn’t always been so positive. The management practices you reference in your review are concerning and something we’d like to explore. It would be incredibly helpful if you could contact me confidentially to discuss further (07970 127 348/kirstin.gemmell@sgn.co.uk). And I couldn’t agree more on your point about recognition. Sincere appreciation and gratitude can make the world of difference. We’ve taken on board feedback about how our current recognition platform could be simpler and more user-friendly and we’ll be introducing a new recognition system later this year. Hopefully this will encourage more regular feedback!

"Not pleasant"

2.0
    Former Employee - FCO in Portsmouth, South East England, England

I worked at SGN full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay rate is ok

Cons

Bullying , old fashioned , stuck in its ways Long hours, not much progression

April 17, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks for sharing your experiences of working at SGN. I hope you had the opportunity to tell us more about the less positive aspects of your employment in an exit interview before leaving. We take all claims of bullying seriously and welcome any feedback that will help us to improve. If you would like to get in touch confidentially, you can contact me on kirstin.gemmell@sgn.co.uk/07970 127 348. Wishing you all the best for the future.

"Retiral review after 42 years in industry"

4.0
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Dunfermline, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Variety of work, scope for advancement through manual staff levels, pay & benefits,

Cons

Work / life balance expectations, work ethos, senior managers targets / new work practices training & managers / teams honest assessments of these not being listened to

March 28, 2019HR and Services Director

First of all, congratulations on your 42 years and on behalf of SGN, a sincere thank you for your loyalty and commitment. We appreciate you taking the opportunity to leave us a review before you go. You raise some very valid points. On the subject of work-life balance, this is a complex area as we need to maintain adequate staffing levels to achieve our standards of service while ensuring appropriate levels of rest. We must also consider that by reducing the amount of standby / overtime available to colleagues this will have a detrimental impact on earnings so it’s difficult to strike a balance that pleases everyone, especially as we’ve found that perceptions of a satisfactory work-life balance vary greatly amongst our people. We recognise this is an area where we can do better and are considering how we can improve this whilst taking into account the various challenges and differing views. Please be assured that we will take your feedback on board and wish you the very best for the future. Wishing you a long and happy retirement.

8. "Stability and prospects"

5.0

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

Good prospects, Good stability, Good benefits, good training programme - room to progress

Cons

Can be a who you know not what you know when it comes to promotions etc

March 13, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for leaving us a review and highlighting some of the great things about working for SGN. It’s disappointing to hear you don’t always feel promotions are awarded fairly but the work we’re doing to help our managers ensure inclusive recruitment and advancement processes should resolve this.

"Anonymous employee Orpington Depot"

2.0

I have been working at SGN

Pros

People- Take pride in work but under continual stress due to many experienced staff leaving and no direction from management

Cons

Bullying /fear culture. Lack of leadership. Will not invest in any initiatives that cost money and only interested in immediate returns.

March 13, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for your recent review. One of the challenges we’re facing at the moment is that a large cohort of our workforce are entering retirement which means we’re at risk of losing valuable skills and knowledge. Whilst it’s never nice to lose talent, it does create new opportunities for our people to progress. We’re working hard on upskilling colleagues to avoid a skills gap and ensure vital information is retained. Your reference to a bullying/fear culture is troubling as we do not tolerate bullying or intimidating behaviour of any kind. In order to help us understand and address these issues, I’d be grateful if you would get in touch with me confidentially on kirstin.gemmell@sgn.co.uk. Alternatively you could contact your local HR Business Partner Iain Fourniss on iain.fourniss@sgn.co.uk

"Not a great place to be in"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England

I worked at SGN full-time for more than a year

Pros

not a lot...just for holding a paying job

Cons

A lot, from Management to structure of the company. A lot of nepotism and favoritism. Complete disregard of staff.

January 21, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of working at SGN. We’re working hard on building our brand to attract a more diverse range of candidates and we’re committed to ensuring fairness and objectivity when it comes to hiring, developing and progressing our people. Wishing you all the best for the future.

Found 113 reviews