SGN Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Found 93 reviews

3.6
SGN CEO John Morea
John Morea

"A good company to work for"

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

Good benefits, friendly staff, study support, development opportunities.

Cons

There should be more flexibility on working hours

Advice to Management

Keep engaging.

November 22, 2018Employee Experience Officer

Thanks for sharing your review with us. It’s so helpful for us to know what you consider to be our best bits and areas for improvement. We’re currently in the process of setting up a working group tasked with exploring how we can introduce more flexible working practices. It’ll take some time and a lot of work to make sure we get it right for our business and our people but we’re excited about the benefits it could bring. Hopefully we’ll have some updates to share on this front soon.

"Plenty Opportunities"

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good opportunities to progress within the company.

Cons

Lack of communication between departments.

Advice to Management

Listen to and trust employees

November 29, 2018Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for leaving us a review. There are so many opportunities to progress at SGN and we love to see our hard-working people grow and develop with us. Communication between different departments is absolutely an area where we could do better and we’d welcome any suggestions that would help us achieve a more joined-up approach! Employee ideas and insights are important to us so we’ll definitely keep listening by using existing channels like SGNapp, surveys and focus sessions, as well as using new channels like Glassdoor.

"Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of benefits, great pension scheme, holiday plus scheme, further development opportunities. Company definitely changed over the last few years for better

Cons

Not all benefits are available if you are contracting through an agency.

November 29, 2018Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for leaving us a review. Unfortunately, we’re a bit restricted when it comes to the benefits we can offer colleagues working for us through an agency. As we don’t process the payroll for our agency colleagues directly, it means we’re unable to offer salary sacrifice benefits like the cycle2work scheme. We’re reviewing our benefits offering at the minute and we’ll make sure that as many of our people as possible will benefit from the changes! Our teams all over SGN have been working hard to improve the experiences of our colleagues, customers and stakeholders so it’s great to hear that you’re noticing these positive changes.

"sgn"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

good team to work with

Cons

too many folk moaning about salaries

November 29, 2018Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review. We agree that the people here are fantastic, and we hope that the recent pay deal has gone some way toward addressing pay issues.

"Working at SGN"

Current Employee - FCO in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've been in the gas industry for around 32 years now,14 with SGN. Fantastic company to work for, salary is great,wirk is varied and interesting with a healthy outlook on safety in regards our workforce and the general public. Work hard,keep your nose clean and you will have a job for life with great opportunity's for advancement within different streams of the company. Great terms and conditions with a very forward... looking CEO.

Cons

Long hours and trying to balance family life can be hard .

SGN2018-11-12

November 22, 2018Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for leaving such a positive review. The work our FCOs do is so important so it’s fantastic to hear how much you enjoy your role and working for SGN. We understand that our standby arrangements can have an impact on work-life balance and we’re working with our TU colleagues to explore how we might be able to make changes in this area.

"Progressive Company"

Current Employee - Network Administrator in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Colleagues will go that extra mile to help one another. Always strive to innovate and improve processes and existing ideas

Cons

Departments can sometimes bypass existing processes in order for a quick fix

Advice to Management

Improve the wages to keep the staff happy

SGN2018-11-13

November 22, 2018Employee Experience Officer

We think your review title is very fitting as we’re constantly looking at how we can change and improve to make things better for our colleagues, customers and stakeholders. Employee feedback on Glassdoor helps us to achieve this so thanks for taking the time to leave us a review.

7. "Rewarding but some improvement in HR management required"

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

The work is interesting and have others have mentioned there is often a lot of room for mobility between departments and the ability to widen your experience of different aspects of the company. While I wouldn't guarantee this is a 'job for life' there is a degree of stability in the utility industry when compared to offshore work etc.

Cons

Pay and benefits are reasonable however due to the history of the company (perhaps unavoidable) there is a great deal of fragmentation in contract conditions for people doing the same job.

Advice to Management

There doesn't seem to be sufficient pressure from HR/ management in making sure pay reviews are actually conducted for employees where this is relevant.

SGN2018-11-13

December 13, 2018Employee Experience Officer

Many thanks for your recent review. We are currently in the process of simplifying our salary progression forms and hope that the new format will mean that salary progression is more transparent for employees and managers. And we completely agree with your comments about the work we do; it is really interesting, and it makes a big impact.

"Horrendous employer"

Former Employee - Engineer
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at SGN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Got paid on time every month.

Cons

Horrendous management Bullying culture Micromanaged Treated like dirt

Advice to Management

The whole management ethos needs to change right from the top to the bottom. Treating people like dirt has only resulted in most of your engineers leaving unless they’re “d” business in which case they’re only there for their pension.

SGN2018-12-14

December 19, 2018Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for sharing your experience of working at SGN and I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t feel your time with us was overall positive. Whether it’s in the office or out in the field our people are the heart of our business so it’s disappointing that you weren’t made to feel valued. We adopt a zero-tolerance policy toward bullying and I hope you had the opportunity to discuss this with a member of our HR team in an exit interview before you left. If not, I would encourage you to get in touch with me confidentially so that we can understand, from your perspective, what we can do to improve the culture in your depot. You can reach me on 07970 127 348 or Kirstin.gemmell@sgn.co.uk.

"FCO trainee"

Current Employee - FCO in Worthing, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Overtime, travel johns so you can urinate in the comfort of your van...

Cons

Old vans, unorganised, no tools, overtime, timesheets.

Advice to Management

Update equipment and vans, show compassion towards employees

SGN2018-12-13

December 19, 2018Employee Experience Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. When it comes to planned work, we always do our best to make sure welfare facilities are available. In the event of emergency or unplanned work, it’s not always possible to provide these facilities so we exercise flexibility and expect our people to make common sense arrangements. In response to your comment about the vans, we have a planned replacement programme for our commercial vehicles. Currently, we have 181 vans undergoing fit-out which we expect to be complete early next year and we have more planned for the next financial year.

10. "SGN- Pretty good to work for, could do some things better."

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Job security, what I feel is a very good pension, lots of hard working & nice colleagues, good working hours, managers are flexible when it comes to allowing time off, get the feeling the company is trying to improve for workers, good treatment of long time sick employees.

Cons

Pay is quite poor, I know you could say everyone wants more money, but the fact is most people know what they are worth, recent pay increase improved this quite a bit, but it is still a bit short on what I feel I should be paid for working as hard as I do. Working conditions of office isn't up to the job, mainly the air con system removes to much moisture and leaves us with dry eyes, it's been years of us saying... this is an issue and all I've heard back is that it will cost a lot to put in the system needed, I feel considering we are all using screens it's important. Office temperatures can vary from very cold to very hot, mainly cold and the female employees feel this often, I understand this is a hard thing to manage as everyone is different, but seeing as we have to phone up to get it changed everyday, its a real pain. IT support is very poor, slow services with to much tape to get things done, I once requested a new keyboard and it took just under 2 months to arrive and it needed quite a bit of signing of by higher management. Computers break and they take months to get a new one, if you have an issue it usually never gets fixed and you have to just adapt your way of working. Rewards for long service are very poor, I understand the company doesn't have to do any, but it doesn't change the fact that they are not very rewarding, after 10 years I got one day's holiday extra for just that year, if it was for the rest of service, then yes it would of been good, the next few are low payments of just another 1 day at 15 years, and £300 quid at 20 years! and that will be taxed, you have to wait to 30 years never to get £450? that's a long service (rare these days) for a not very impressive amount of money. Training is an issue in some parts of the business, especially in admin or RCA roles where there doesn't seem to be the structure needed, this can effect the work they produce, which has a knock on effect of slowing us down in our job.

Advice to Management

Pay a little better, sort out the IT & office environment and you may be on to a company full of a lot more happy employees.

SGN2018-11-12

November 26, 2018Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. As you highlighted there are lots of great things about working at SGN and there are also areas where we could improve. Length of service awards is an area we've explored in the past and we've tried to strike a balance between recognising loyalty and ensuring no adverse tax implications for the individuals being rewarded. We'll definitely take your feedback on board. It’s great that you feel things are getting better and we’ll keep working hard to make sure we’re always improving.

Found 93 reviews