SGN Team Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

John Morea

"Ryan"

Current Employee - Team Manager in London, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

This Job has given me a career for nearly 20 years and have managed to progress from a GNO1 mate to a team manager

Cons

The work life balance can sometimes be a bit of a struggle

Advice to Management

always make your self approachable as you are only as good as the team around you

SGN2018-07-13

August 14, 2018Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for leaving a review. We’re passionate about supporting the development and progression about our people so it’s great to hear about the progress you’ve made. Regarding your comments about work-life balance, we appreciate that our standby arrangements can impact this. Whilst it isn’t a quick fix, we’re working with our TU colleagues to explore how we can make changes in this area. Thanks again for taking the time to share your feedback.

"Retiral review after 42 years in industry"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Dunfermline, Scotland
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Variety of work, scope for advancement through manual staff levels, pay & benefits,

Cons

Work / life balance expectations, work ethos, senior managers targets / new work practices training & managers / teams honest assessments of these not being listened to

Advice to Management

I believe SGN needs to re-evaluate their work / life balance expectations. I`ve worked from 06:00 for years in order to maintain what i believe to be my responsibilities regarding my role as a "Team manager". You will not get this ethos from younger generation, who i believe quite rightly, are looking for a better work balance in their lives. My generation accepted the fact that if you worked hard ( & clever)... you would be rewarded, not always the case. Our customer focus is skewed, as customer is always right & we do whatever to get complaint resolved. The hard fact is that nowadays certain people are so aware of what to do to get something for nothing that it makes the managers job almost impossible, that tempered with the fact that the manager never gets backed up when he is right it becomes very demoralising. managers for the most part try their hardest to ensure projects are completed without incidents / damages / accident free / as per COP`s / Legal requirements, however this just does not seem to matter when someone complains. I have for the most part enjoyed my 42 years, & feel I have contributed well to Scottish Gas - SGN companies and the 5 different companies in between my starting - finishing companies I have worked for. I wish every success for SGN going forward, but you now have a younger / more inexperienced work-force & they require a lot of leading / assistance / training & coaching if you wish to transform them into experienced leaders, good luck.

SGN2019-03-04

March 28, 2019HR and Services Director

First of all, congratulations on your 42 years and on behalf of SGN, a sincere thank you for your loyalty and commitment. We appreciate you taking the opportunity to leave us a review before you go. You raise some very valid points. On the subject of work-life balance, this is a complex area as we need to maintain adequate staffing levels to achieve our standards of service while ensuring appropriate levels of rest. We must also consider that by reducing the amount of standby / overtime available to colleagues this will have a detrimental impact on earnings so it’s difficult to strike a balance that pleases everyone, especially as we’ve found that perceptions of a satisfactory work-life balance vary greatly amongst our people. We recognise this is an area where we can do better and are considering how we can improve this whilst taking into account the various challenges and differing views. Please be assured that we will take your feedback on board and wish you the very best for the future. Wishing you a long and happy retirement.

"Awful company"

Maintenance Team Manager in Poole, England

I have been working at SGN for more than 10 years

Pros

Secure job. Employment T&Cs are adequate.

Cons

As a company, SGN does not like honest comments. SGN used to do an annual survey of employee engagement, but the results kept getting worse. What did SGN do? They tried to adjust the questions to give positive answers but this failed. Did SGN listen to the polls? No, they decided to cut the surveys. Good job SGN.

Advice to Management

Get your act together otherwise the share holders will do it for you

SGN2018-05-11

June 4, 2018Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. The decision to pause our annual employee opinion survey was taken in May 2016 after eight consecutive years running the survey. During this time response rates exceeded 90%, results improved year on year and we achieved an engagement index of 81%. The results were highly positive and lots of improvements were made based on employee feedback. This traditional measure of engagement, however, has become outdated. In order to capture the views of our office and field-based employees we issued the survey in paper and electronic formats which meant that collating the results was admin intensive and time consuming. The data only provided us with a snapshot of how our people felt at a particular moment in time and, like many organisations, we wanted to move toward a model of more regular feedback. Although we’re no longer running the annual survey, we’re still listening. Employee feedback is critically important to us and we’re using focus groups, deep dive surveys (on topics like recognition, D&I, Comms and agile working), employee life cycle surveys (for our new hires and leavers), SGNapp and Yammer comments as well as Glassdoor reviews to build up a picture of what our people think and how we can improve. We’re in the process of implementing our People Portal, powered by Cornerstone. This includes Engage; a survey tool so we’ll explore how this can work for us over the next few months.

"The worst company I have worked for; currently looking elsewhere."

Current Employee - Team Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with external contractors is the best part of the job. Always out on a job meaning you are not stuck in the office.

Cons

Ran by people who have no idea what they are doing. An older generation workforce (very few young people, especially in 'management' roles). Poor wage bracket for the job(s) you are expected to complete. No proper recognition or rewards scheme.

Advice to Management

Have a better understanding of what it is people do. Attend some training courses yourself, so you do not appear as incompetent employees when asked questions by the people who are supposed to be learning from you. Also, hire some younger people (not poorly paid apprentices), as 80% of the workforce is 40+.

SGN2015-01-16