SGN "good benefits" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

SGN Employee Reviews about "good benefits"

Updated Oct 5, 2019

3.3
SGN CEO John Morea
John Morea
Pros
  • "Good prospects, Good stability, Good benefits, good training programme - room to progress(in 8 reviews)

• "Amazing training, management team are brilliant, never bored, great people to work with(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Senior management are more focused on bettering themselves than the wider team(in 9 reviews)

• "Long hours and trying to balance family life can be hard(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "good benefits"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Gas"

Current Employee - Gas Operative in Dundee, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits and good career opportunities

Cons

There is none so far I’ve only just started

SGN2019-06-24
  2. "Good company, some issues"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good friendly people across the full of SGN. Progression is good however this isn't across the board, some managers lack understanding in this and I have noticed this over the years. There are good benefits and flexibility in working hours to maintain a work life balance - again this isnt across the board. There are many internal jobs that literally anyone within SGN can apply and this is encouraged. Line managers... are really helpful and want to better you and your career. Good networking opportunities across the business and external.

Cons

Senior management are more focused on bettering themselves than the wider team. A lot of new projects and resource is always stretched without thinking about how this effects the rest team who need to pick up more work - hire more people and this wont be an issue. Departments all work differently and it's difficult to get work done as slow engagement. Heavy workload and a lot is expected of you. Not enough modern... technology to support employees working in depot/offices, very behind compared to other companies . Meetings are always far too long and annoying when you have to travel far. A lot of culture differences across scotland and southern. Depots/offices are in poor locations and some very old inside. Employee surveys to share thoughts but not the right questions being asked

Advice to Management

Directors/senior management engage more with the wider team to understand their needs, this will help your employees stay for long periods. Stop focusing on your career only. Improve on IT and try and have departments working better together

SGN2019-10-05
  3. "Stability and prospects"

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

Cons

Can be a who you know not what you know when it comes to promotions etc

SGN2019-02-22
  4. "A career in SGN"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

An exciting innovative Company moving forward with the changing legislation and technology. Provides a diverse range of career opportunities in many different processes/work streams. Excellent training, secure employment, good benefits, competitive pay, opportunities for progression based on ability and ambition

Cons

Operates a 24/7/365 Emergency service protecting life and property, so some relevant work streams are required to work a stand by rota on call for emergencies out of hours on a rota basis for gas escapes. Compensatory rest time applies if called out with generous associated pay

SGN2018-12-06

"A good company to work for"

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

Good benefits, friendly staff, study support, development opportunities.

Cons

There should be more flexibility on working hours

Advice to Management

Keep engaging.

SGN2018-11-14

"The people make it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lovely people, good working conditions, supportive manager. I'm based in Scotland and have been working with the company for just over three years. I have the opportunity to travel to other depots and offices which is great. There is a good benefits site with discounts for most of the high street retailers. There is also a great employee app which you can access from your own tablet/phone. Good opportunities for... development/training if you ask for it, though it's difficult to find out what's on offer. Lots of opportunities for moving into other roles, especially in projects.

Cons

Outdated processes (inc HR) but these are being modernised, along with new technologies. Pace of change can be slow. Holiday allocation could be better - maybe increase your holiday allowance in line with length of service which a lot of other companies do.

SGN2017-09-04

"Great benefits and great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Salary - fair and annual inflationary increases each year, including an annual lump sum pay award. Plus a pay grade scheme based on merit which means you have the ability to earn more with experience. Good opportunities for progression and development compared to previous employers. Good benefits - generous maternity pay, cycle2work scheme, childcare vouchers, great online portal for retail discounts, pension &... death in service scheme to name a few. There are lots of great people working in SGN and it's usually a nice working atmosphere. SGN are a company committed to continuous improvement and take things like safety and employee engagement really seriously. There have been lots of positive changes even since I started three years ago. SGN are also committed to charity/community work which is great - each colleague gets a day to volunteer and help local causes. Company communications are good and they are actively looking at ways to meet the challenge of communicating with a geographical diverse and mainly field-based workforce. The new app is brilliant and really professional. There is a great recognition culture with colleagues getting regularly awarded vouchers plus an annual awards ceremony.

Cons

Like probably all big companies there can be some elements of teams working in silos. The company can be a little old fashioned regarding things like part time working and I wasn't able to secure this when I needed to (however my managers were supportive in other ways like giving me a phased return to full time, however this didn't suit my personal situation). The senior management is lacking a bit in diversity,... however I do think the company are doing a lot to gradually change this dynamic and are committed to bring more diversity on board. There have been several big structural changes in our team affecting my role/job description, which is a bit unsettling. I do also think there is too much of a culture of travelling to meetings which don't need to be face to face - there could be better use of modern technology instead. This would be much more environmentally friendly and improve work/life balance for some employees.

Advice to Management

Ultimately I've taken the decision to leave SGN due to personal reasons - but I would recommend the company as an employer to others. No company is perfect but SGN are working hard on the areas where change is needed. My main advice would be to look at a more modern approach to flexible/part-time working, working from home and to avoiding travel for unnecessary face to face meetings. But also - keep up the good work!

SGN2017-08-01

"Great career opportunities"

Current Employee - Resource Manager in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Secure, professional, hardworking company, good benefits

Cons

A lot of change in roles but that's only because there is so many great opportunities for young people in the company

Advice to Management

Keep leading by example and helping me like me move up the ladder in my career with SGN. I get a lot of good advice, mentoring and coaching from my managers.

SGN2017-06-25