SGN Employee Reviews about "great people"

Updated Aug 16, 2020

Found 8 of over 159 reviews

3.4
SGN CEO John Morea
John Morea
Pros
  • "Good benefits and good career opportunities(in 10 reviews)

• "Amazing training, management team are brilliant, never bored, great people to work with(in 8 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Very long hours especially in the winter(in 10 reviews)

• "The senior management team never seem to listen(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "great people"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Governance

Jan 11, 2020 - Head of Audit in Horley, Oxfordshire, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people and opportunities for next two decades

Cons

Difficult location but offset by online meeting

Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for your five-star review. Online meetings are helping us to reduce travel and work smarter, we've had a lot of positive feedback about this. And we couldn't agree more about the great people and opportunities!

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Good terms and conditions

Aug 16, 2020 - FCO in Gosport, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people to work wit

Cons

long hours aldo working at the weekend

Employee Experience Coordinator

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and give your feedback - we're so pleased to hear your experience working at SGN has been positive. The work our FCOs do is so important so it’s great to hear how much you enjoy working for SGN. We understand that our standby arrangements can have an impact on work-life balance and we’re working to explore how we might be able to make changes in this area. Thank you for your 10+ years of service at SGN and wishing you all the best for the future.

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

PC obsessed

May 11, 2019 - Management
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good terms & conditions , Working with some great people

Cons

Senior Managers who have been fast tracked know very little about what we are about & are SGN robots.

Employee Experience Officer

Thanks for leaving us a review. We are continuing to roll out our Manager Essentials programme; equipping new and existing managers with the skills they need to manage high performing teams. We've had some excellent feedback on this so far and look forward to delivering this more widely. We'll be sure to take the rest of your feedback on board. Thank you for your 10+ years service at SGN and wishing you all the best for the future.

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Not a Bad Company

May 10, 2019 - Network Record Assistant in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great People to work with

Cons

IT Systems are not up to scratch

Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for your review. We have to agree with you on both points; the people at SGN are truly great to work with and our IT infrastructure needs to be improved. You’ll be pleased to hear that we’re doing something about this and we’ve just embarked on an ambitious project to modernise our communications network. The project, which will run in two phases, is expected to be complete by April 2020 and will ensure a considerably improved user-experience. If you’d like to find out more search ‘Improving our IT network’ on DigitalHub to read the article published on 2 April.

5. 5.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Great place to progress

Nov 15, 2018 - Anonymous Contractor in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England, England

Pros

Cons

I can't think of any cons

Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for your positive review. Our training team work really hard to make sure they deliver engaging and informative sessions so they’ll be delighted to hear your feedback, we’ll make sure to keep it up!

6. 2.0
      Current Employee

Safe job

Mar 29, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of progression available. Can start with no qualifications in lots of jobs. Great people to work with.

Cons

Animosity from workforce to managers. Lots of unhappiness about pay.

Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for leaving a review. We agree that there are lots of opportunities for hard-working employees to progress and we encourage efforts for self-development that benefit our people and company. We also understand that pay can be a contentious issue and we’ve recently concluded a benchmarking exercise, aimed at providing us with more information about how our salaries compare with our competitors. The insight from this research will help to inform the ongoing pay negotiations which we hope will achieve a positive outcome.

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great benefits and great people

Aug 1, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Salary - fair and annual inflationary increases each year, including an annual lump sum pay award. Plus a pay grade scheme based on merit which means you have the ability to earn more with experience. Good opportunities for progression and development compared to previous employers. Good benefits - generous maternity pay, cycle2work scheme, childcare vouchers, great online portal for retail discounts, pension & death in service scheme to name a few. There are lots of great people working in SGN and it's usually a nice working atmosphere. SGN are a company committed to continuous improvement and take things like safety and employee engagement really seriously. There have been lots of positive changes even since I started three years ago. SGN are also committed to charity/community work which is great - each colleague gets a day to volunteer and help local causes. Company communications are good and they are actively looking at ways to meet the challenge of communicating with a geographical diverse and mainly field-based workforce. The new app is brilliant and really professional. There is a great recognition culture with colleagues getting regularly awarded vouchers plus an annual awards ceremony.

Cons

Like probably all big companies there can be some elements of teams working in silos. The company can be a little old fashioned regarding things like part time working and I wasn't able to secure this when I needed to (however my managers were supportive in other ways like giving me a phased return to full time, however this didn't suit my personal situation). The senior management is lacking a bit in diversity, however I do think the company are doing a lot to gradually change this dynamic and are committed to bring more diversity on board. There have been several big structural changes in our team affecting my role/job description, which is a bit unsettling. I do also think there is too much of a culture of travelling to meetings which don't need to be face to face - there could be better use of modern technology instead. This would be much more environmentally friendly and improve work/life balance for some employees.

2 people found this review helpful

Employee Experience Team

Thanks for your review. It’s great so hear so much positivity from you, it’s clear you’ve enjoyed working for SGN and I’m sorry you’ve decided to leave. You’re right that things are changing. New people at senior levels brings in different insights and improvements. We’re trying to modernise our HR practices, which includes things like flexible working. There are examples of job sharing, part-time working and compressed hours – it needs a willingness to try to do things differently. Being a geographical dispersed workplace means that some travel is inevitable but we’re hoping technology such as Office 365 will change the way we work, if we embrace the many benefits on offer. Wishing you all the best in your future endeavours.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great company - long hours expected from managers

Jul 23, 2017 - Support Manager in Portsmouth, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Have worked for SGN for over 11 years. Love my job, the company does recognize hard work and opportunities are there if you are prepared to work for them. Diverse company (perhaps apart from the exec) and great people, the definition of team work should have a picture of my department next to the words, especially during the unexpected. The company does much work to engage its employees and has a range of benefits on offer.

Cons

Long, long hours, 12+hrs (unpaid) is normal in the winter, and it's necessary to answer emails at home to keep on top of the workload. Still a number (though thankfully getting less each year) of old "dinosaurs" within the company - who prefer to command and tell rather than explain the whys. Entry level wages for Range 2 no longer competitive and make the recruitment, selection and retention difficult.

Employee Experience Co-ordinator

Thanks for taking the time to write a positive review and give us your feedback. We value all reviews - they help us understand areas that we can improve on. It’s refreshing to hear people talk about loving their job. I’m glad you think we do recognition well, it’s important to recognise hard work – we’ve got some amazing teams and individuals and we work well together, especially during a crisis. Schemes such as our SGN Way Awards, OPAs and customer-driven 10/10 cards are such good ways to say thanks to our hard working colleagues. You mentioned a lack of diversity amongst the Executive team and this is an area that has changed. We’ve made three external appointments this year - two are females, which is bringing a fresh perspective. Following some audits on diversity and inclusion we’ve been running recruitment best practice training and we’ve hired an Interim Recruitment Manager who is putting in place more inclusive processes. There are a few new faces in the HR team, our new Head of Talent and Development, Caroline Williams, has a focus on management and leadership development. This will help address some of the old style management styles you mention. There are lots of positive changes ahead. Finally you mentioned salary levels - we’re currently undertaking a benchmarking exercise to understand where we are placed against the external market. Compensation is always an emotive area and this exercise will give us some valuable insight. Thanks again for your feedback.

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 English Reviews