SGN "long hours" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

SGN Employee Reviews about "long hours"

Updated Jul 19, 2019

3.3
SGN CEO John Morea
John Morea
Pros
  • "Good prospects, Good stability, Good benefits, good training programme - room to progress(in 8 reviews)

• "Amazing training, management team are brilliant, never bored, great people to work with(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Senior management are more focused on bettering themselves than the wider team(in 9 reviews)

• "Long hours and trying to balance family life can be hard(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "long hours"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Team leader"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Dundee, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good teams, high work morale.

Cons

Very long hours especially in the winter.

SGN2019-06-14

"Company making pay cut backs."

Current Employee - FCO in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Always get paid on time. Good pension.

Cons

Unsociable hours which pay doesn’t reflect. Managers bully people, false promises. Company constantly looking at ways to cut pay. Employees treated differently. Engineers doing the same job get paid less than others. Company can’t retain their staff. 80% of engineers are not happy. We all come to work to make a living and pay the bills yet pay is poor and not had a pay rise in years yet SGN expect you to work... 15-16 hours for poor pay and give a 10/10 service. No sick pay/ where other engineers get it. Working long hours and sometimes in poor conditions your more susceptible to sickness. SGN management rarely reward engineers verbally. A simple well done or good job would be nice. They keep adding more and more to do on jobs yet dont allow the time to do it. Therefore sometimes you can feel rushed either by the office or management. You work unsociable hours and days yet get the minimum allowance for holiday annually. Engineers that done this job 30 years ago earned more money than engineers do now.

Advice to Management

Pay your engineers the same money as your taking new starters on. Praise your engineers more for doing a good job. Sort your IT out. Makes day to day life hard having tablets that constantly fail. Improve morale of your engineers and you’ll get a better job out of them.

SGN2019-07-20
  3. "Honest opinion"

Current Employee - FCO/Team Leader in Dunfermline, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great pay if your willing to put the hours in. Pension Scheme has improved recently. A few decent company benefits such as cheaper Gym membership, Cycle to work scheme etc. Job security as long as you follow rules and procedures. Great opportunities for further development. All round decent job.

Cons

I am multi skilled. Fully trained team leader and FCO. Fully trained in Industrual Commercial work and take on projects often. I'm also a district assessor and I receive no extra pay for taking on these duties. Industrial Commercial tickets are required and that part of the gas safe has to be renewed every 5 years. This is harder than the normal gas safe and the day to day work holds much more responsibility. Other... staff get paid more for extra responsibility so i feel there is an unfair pay issue. Long hours with unpaid breaks can lead to fatigue especially in the busy winter months.

Advice to Management

Please amend unfair pay issues. Extra responsibility should mean extra pay. I feel the Industrial Conmercial ticket holders should be paid for this. District assessors also. I'm happy to take on more responsibility but I'd like to be paid more than the guys who avoid such responsibility.

SGN2019-05-08

"Not pleasant"

Former Employee - FCO in Portsmouth, South East England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at SGN full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay rate is ok

Cons

Bullying , old fashioned , stuck in its ways Long hours, not much progression

Advice to Management

Start dealing with issues and not ignoring them

SGN2019-03-27

"Working at SGN"

Current Employee - FCO in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've been in the gas industry for around 32 years now,14 with SGN. Fantastic company to work for, salary is great,wirk is varied and interesting with a healthy outlook on safety in regards our workforce and the general public. Work hard,keep your nose clean and you will have a job for life with great opportunity's for advancement within different streams of the company. Great terms and conditions with a very forward... looking CEO.

Cons

Long hours and trying to balance family life can be hard .

SGN2018-11-12

"“Sweat the assets”"

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Variety of jobs and locations

Cons

Long hours average 20hr shifts on call, disciplined if missed a call due to asleep/fatigue. Bullying management methods. Go without mentality for tools/PPE having to wait months for new basic tooling etc.

Advice to Management

Treat workers with respect rather than bully them. Don’t use the term “sweat the assets”. We’re people with families and lives, not just a number.

SGN2018-11-14

"Great company - long hours expected from managers"

Current Employee - Support Manager in Portsmouth, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Have worked for SGN for over 11 years. Love my job, the company does recognize hard work and opportunities are there if you are prepared to work for them. Diverse company (perhaps apart from the exec) and great people, the definition of team work should have a picture of my department next to the words, especially during the unexpected. The company does much work to engage its employees and has a range of... benefits on offer.

Cons

Long, long hours, 12+hrs (unpaid) is normal in the winter, and it's necessary to answer emails at home to keep on top of the workload. Still a number (though thankfully getting less each year) of old "dinosaurs" within the company - who prefer to command and tell rather than explain the whys. Entry level wages for Range 2 no longer competitive and make the recruitment, selection and retention difficult.

Advice to Management

Carry on doing what you are doing - bringing in external people in to senior positions recently is a positive move and is already bringing a fresh perspective. Consider revising certain range 2 salaries, or reclassifying job ranges for some.

SGN2017-07-23