SGN Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Updated 7 Jan 2020

3.5
SGN CEO John Morea
John Morea
Pros
  • "Good benefits and good career opportunities(in 10 reviews)

• "Amazing training, management team are brilliant, never bored, great people to work with(in 8 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Very long hours especially in the winter(in 10 reviews)

• "The senior management team never seem to listen(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "senior management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great work life balance

7 Jan 2020 - Administration Supervisor in Dunfermline, Scotland, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Dunfermline depot has a great senior management team very approachable and provide good support to all staff in all departments. The working hours are family friendly and you are encouraged to get involved with learning all about the industry which is important if you would like to progress further in your career.

Cons

As with all organisations communication could be improved.

2. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good company, some issues

5 Oct 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good friendly people across the full of SGN. Progression is good however this isn't across the board, some managers lack understanding in this and I have noticed this over the years. There are good benefits and flexibility in working hours to maintain a work life balance - again this isnt across the board. There are many internal jobs that literally anyone within SGN can apply and this is encouraged. Line managers are really helpful and want to better you and your career. Good networking opportunities across the business and external.

Cons

Senior management are more focused on bettering themselves than the wider team. A lot of new projects and resource is always stretched without thinking about how this effects the rest team who need to pick up more work - hire more people and this wont be an issue. Departments all work differently and it's difficult to get work done as slow engagement. Heavy workload and a lot is expected of you. Not enough modern technology to support employees working in depot/offices, very behind compared to other companies . Meetings are always far too long and annoying when you have to travel far. A lot of culture differences across scotland and southern. Depots/offices are in poor locations and some very old inside. Employee surveys to share thoughts but not the right questions being asked

Employee Experience Officer

Thanks for your recent review! As you highlighted in your review, there are lots of great things about working at SGN like the fantastic people, benefits and development opportunities but there are also lots of areas we need to improve in. Many of your concerns were highlighted in our recent employee opinion survey and our managers and leaders will be reviewing the feedback and exploring possible solutions to some of these in the months to follow.

3. 4.0

Retiral review after 42 years in industry

4 Mar 2019 - Team Manager in Dunfermline, Scotland, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Variety of work, scope for advancement through manual staff levels, pay & benefits,

Cons

Work / life balance expectations, work ethos, senior managers targets / new work practices training & managers / teams honest assessments of these not being listened to

3 people found this review helpful

HR and Services Director

First of all, congratulations on your 42 years and on behalf of SGN, a sincere thank you for your loyalty and commitment. We appreciate you taking the opportunity to leave us a review before you go. You raise some very valid points. On the subject of work-life balance, this is a complex area as we need to maintain adequate staffing levels to achieve our standards of service while ensuring appropriate levels of rest. We must also consider that by reducing the amount of standby / overtime available to colleagues this will have a detrimental impact on earnings so it’s difficult to strike a balance that pleases everyone, especially as we’ve found that perceptions of a satisfactory work-life balance vary greatly amongst our people. We recognise this is an area where we can do better and are considering how we can improve this whilst taking into account the various challenges and differing views. Please be assured that we will take your feedback on board and wish you the very best for the future. Wishing you a long and happy retirement.

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Worst managers ever

7 Aug 2019 - Administrator in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lovely colleagues, a couple of nice senior managers.

Cons

Manager and supervisor are bullies, constant sniggering and whispering. Genuinely horrible people. Will not praise any good work you have done unless told to do so by senior managers. No care for employees welfare, lack of compassion and absolutely no managerial skills between them. Extremely rude people and the admin manager doesn’t have a clue what jobs her staff do or how they’re done, relies on everyone else to do the work for her. High turnover of staff as they can’t keep hold of anyone due to how awful they are as managers.

3 people found this review helpful

Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for leaving an honest account of your experience working at SGN. It's pleasing to hear you worked with some fantastic people and concerning to hear about other aspects of your experience. We don't tolerate bullying and would appreciate the opportunity to understand more and investigate fully. You can contact me confidentially on kirstin.gemmell@sgn.co.uk or 07970 127 348. Many thanks.

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

PC obsessed

11 May 2019 - Management
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good terms & conditions , Working with some great people

Cons

Senior Managers who have been fast tracked know very little about what we are about & are SGN robots.

1 person found this review helpful

Employee Experience Officer

Thanks for leaving us a review. We are continuing to roll out our Manager Essentials programme; equipping new and existing managers with the skills they need to manage high performing teams. We've had some excellent feedback on this so far and look forward to delivering this more widely. We'll be sure to take the rest of your feedback on board. Thank you for your 10+ years service at SGN and wishing you all the best for the future.

6. 4.0

Pay

8 Aug 2019 - Opps Controller in Portsmouth, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people I work with

Cons

The senior management team never seem to listen

Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for leaving us a review. It can be frustrating to feel you aren’t being listened to and this could be something worth highlighting in our employee opinion survey. Our survey launched today (02/09) and gives our people the opportunity to share their views and ideas. Make sure to take the time to complete it and encourage your team to get involved too!

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work

23 Nov 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

there is lots of support and knowledge available to help you if you ask. the company really looks after its most valuable assets (the staff) and senior management are approachable.

Cons

The IT systems are still in need of bringing in line with other organisations, they are slow and very dated, I know changes have been made and since O365 has been rolled out things are looking on the up but still a long way to go.

2 people found this review helpful

Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for your recent review! As I’m sure you’ll already know, ‘putting people at the heart’ is one of our company values so it’s great to hear that you feel we’ve got this right when it comes to our employees. With respect to IT, we’ve made some progress recently and there are lots of exciting developments still to come. We’ve just signed off the first stage of a multi-million pound investment in our IT network across all of SGN which will increase capacity and connectivity for both office and field-based colleagues. Our Director of IT, Andrew Quail posted an update on Yammer recently if you’d like to read more. And our colleagues, older colleagues especially, have lots of valuable knowledge to share. We have a ROCK (retention of critical knowledge) scheme designed to ensure we capture this information and keep it within the organisation. We’d welcome any other ideas you might have to help us achieve this, please feel free to get in touch with me directly - 07970 127 348/Kirstin.gemmell@sgn.co.uk

8. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Overview of SGN

10 Sep 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good career opportunities. Huge diversity in work. The people in the company are friendly and welcoming. Strong Senior Management Team

Cons

Pay and Benefits is below the benchmark. Regulated business so there is a stringent governance structure.

1 person found this review helpful

Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review. Succession planning is an important area of focus for our Talent and Development team. We are aware that a sizeable portion of our workforce are looking to retire in the coming years so it’s critical that we prepare the next generation of managers to ensure a smooth transition. Effective succession planning will help us to identify high-potential individuals and ensure they have the training and support they need to succeed. We appreciate your suggestions around how we can engage with our younger workers and will consider introducing employee networks in the next phase of our diversity and inclusion programme. We’re grateful to have had your commitment for the past 8 years and wish you all the best for the future.

9. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

SGN is the worst company ever. Seriously !

6 Nov 2016 - Gas Network Operator in Coatbridge, Scotland, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are no PROs in this job. The fact you get to go home away from the place is the most satisfying thing about it. I would rate SGN with 0 stars but unfortunately that isnt an option so ill have to break my heart and offer them an undeserved 1 star.

Cons

Employees dont have a voice. HR are supposed to see things from both sides but team up with the company against employees. Constant lies and victimisation towards certain individuals from senior management. Try to control your personal life aswell as working life. Employees losing out on thousands per yer due to managment trying to take advantage of loopholes in contract. Law breaking acts taking place daily amoung managers. Im sure youve already seen this place in the newspapers a couple of times. Stay clear of this place. Securing a job here will be a decision you will live to regret.

10 people found this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great benefits and great people

1 Aug 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Salary - fair and annual inflationary increases each year, including an annual lump sum pay award. Plus a pay grade scheme based on merit which means you have the ability to earn more with experience. Good opportunities for progression and development compared to previous employers. Good benefits - generous maternity pay, cycle2work scheme, childcare vouchers, great online portal for retail discounts, pension & death in service scheme to name a few. There are lots of great people working in SGN and it's usually a nice working atmosphere. SGN are a company committed to continuous improvement and take things like safety and employee engagement really seriously. There have been lots of positive changes even since I started three years ago. SGN are also committed to charity/community work which is great - each colleague gets a day to volunteer and help local causes. Company communications are good and they are actively looking at ways to meet the challenge of communicating with a geographical diverse and mainly field-based workforce. The new app is brilliant and really professional. There is a great recognition culture with colleagues getting regularly awarded vouchers plus an annual awards ceremony.

Cons

Like probably all big companies there can be some elements of teams working in silos. The company can be a little old fashioned regarding things like part time working and I wasn't able to secure this when I needed to (however my managers were supportive in other ways like giving me a phased return to full time, however this didn't suit my personal situation). The senior management is lacking a bit in diversity, however I do think the company are doing a lot to gradually change this dynamic and are committed to bring more diversity on board. There have been several big structural changes in our team affecting my role/job description, which is a bit unsettling. I do also think there is too much of a culture of travelling to meetings which don't need to be face to face - there could be better use of modern technology instead. This would be much more environmentally friendly and improve work/life balance for some employees.

2 people found this review helpful

Employee Experience Team

Thanks for your review. It’s great so hear so much positivity from you, it’s clear you’ve enjoyed working for SGN and I’m sorry you’ve decided to leave. You’re right that things are changing. New people at senior levels brings in different insights and improvements. We’re trying to modernise our HR practices, which includes things like flexible working. There are examples of job sharing, part-time working and compressed hours – it needs a willingness to try to do things differently. Being a geographical dispersed workplace means that some travel is inevitable but we’re hoping technology such as Office 365 will change the way we work, if we embrace the many benefits on offer. Wishing you all the best in your future endeavours.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 12 Reviews