SGN "senior management" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

SGN Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Updated 5 Oct 2019

3.6
SGN CEO John Morea
John Morea
Pros
  • "Good prospects, Good stability, Good benefits, good training programme - room to progress(in 8 reviews)

• "Amazing training, management team are brilliant, never bored, great people to work with(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Senior management are more focused on bettering themselves than the wider team(in 9 reviews)

• "Long hours and trying to balance family life can be hard(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "senior management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good company, some issues"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good friendly people across the full of SGN. Progression is good however this isn't across the board, some managers lack understanding in this and I have noticed this over the years. There are good benefits and flexibility in working hours to maintain a work life balance - again this isnt across the board. There are many internal jobs that literally anyone within SGN can apply and this is encouraged. Line managers... are really helpful and want to better you and your career. Good networking opportunities across the business and external.

Cons

Senior management are more focused on bettering themselves than the wider team. A lot of new projects and resource is always stretched without thinking about how this effects the rest team who need to pick up more work - hire more people and this wont be an issue. Departments all work differently and it's difficult to get work done as slow engagement. Heavy workload and a lot is expected of you. Not enough modern... technology to support employees working in depot/offices, very behind compared to other companies . Meetings are always far too long and annoying when you have to travel far. A lot of culture differences across scotland and southern. Depots/offices are in poor locations and some very old inside. Employee surveys to share thoughts but not the right questions being asked

Advice to Management

Directors/senior management engage more with the wider team to understand their needs, this will help your employees stay for long periods. Stop focusing on your career only. Improve on IT and try and have departments working better together

SGN2019-10-05
  2. "Pay"

Current Employee - Opps Controller in Portsmouth, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people I work with

Cons

The senior management team never seem to listen

Advice to Management

Engage with your staff

SGN2019-08-09

September 2, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for leaving us a review. It can be frustrating to feel you aren’t being listened to and this could be something worth highlighting in our employee opinion survey. Our survey launched today (02/09) and gives our people the opportunity to share their views and ideas. Make sure to take the time to complete it and encourage your team to get involved too!

"Worst managers ever"

Former Employee - Administrator in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England

I worked at SGN full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lovely colleagues, a couple of nice senior managers.

Cons

Manager and supervisor are bullies, constant sniggering and whispering. Genuinely horrible people. Will not praise any good work you have done unless told to do so by senior managers. No care for employees welfare, lack of compassion and absolutely no managerial skills between them. Extremely rude people and the admin manager doesn’t have a clue what jobs her staff do or how they’re done, relies on everyone else to... do the work for her. High turnover of staff as they can’t keep hold of anyone due to how awful they are as managers.

Advice to Management

Find another job as you fail at this one and embarrass yourselves.

SGN2019-08-07

September 2, 2019Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for leaving an honest account of your experience working at SGN. It's pleasing to hear you worked with some fantastic people and concerning to hear about other aspects of your experience. We don't tolerate bullying and would appreciate the opportunity to understand more and investigate fully. You can contact me confidentially on kirstin.gemmell@sgn.co.uk or 07970 127 348. Many thanks.

4. "PC obsessed"

Former Employee - Management

I worked at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good terms & conditions , Working with some great people

Cons

Senior Managers who have been fast tracked know very little about what we are about & are SGN robots.

Advice to Management

Treat your elder staff with a bit of respect. You may find a better attitude will get them helping you more as they have a lot to offer

SGN2019-05-11

"Retiral review after 42 years in industry"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Dunfermline, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Variety of work, scope for advancement through manual staff levels, pay & benefits,

Cons

Work / life balance expectations, work ethos, senior managers targets / new work practices training & managers / teams honest assessments of these not being listened to

Advice to Management

I believe SGN needs to re-evaluate their work / life balance expectations. I`ve worked from 06:00 for years in order to maintain what i believe to be my responsibilities regarding my role as a "Team manager". You will not get this ethos from younger generation, who i believe quite rightly, are looking for a better work balance in their lives. My generation accepted the fact that if you worked hard ( & clever)... you would be rewarded, not always the case. Our customer focus is skewed, as customer is always right & we do whatever to get complaint resolved. The hard fact is that nowadays certain people are so aware of what to do to get something for nothing that it makes the managers job almost impossible, that tempered with the fact that the manager never gets backed up when he is right it becomes very demoralising. managers for the most part try their hardest to ensure projects are completed without incidents / damages / accident free / as per COP`s / Legal requirements, however this just does not seem to matter when someone complains. I have for the most part enjoyed my 42 years, & feel I have contributed well to Scottish Gas - SGN companies and the 5 different companies in between my starting - finishing companies I have worked for. I wish every success for SGN going forward, but you now have a younger / more inexperienced work-force & they require a lot of leading / assistance / training & coaching if you wish to transform them into experienced leaders, good luck.

SGN2019-03-04

March 28, 2019HR and Services Director

First of all, congratulations on your 42 years and on behalf of SGN, a sincere thank you for your loyalty and commitment. We appreciate you taking the opportunity to leave us a review before you go. You raise some very valid points. On the subject of work-life balance, this is a complex area as we need to maintain adequate staffing levels to achieve our standards of service while ensuring appropriate levels of rest. We must also consider that by reducing the amount of standby / overtime available to colleagues this will have a detrimental impact on earnings so it’s difficult to strike a balance that pleases everyone, especially as we’ve found that perceptions of a satisfactory work-life balance vary greatly amongst our people. We recognise this is an area where we can do better and are considering how we can improve this whilst taking into account the various challenges and differing views. Please be assured that we will take your feedback on board and wish you the very best for the future. Wishing you a long and happy retirement.

"Great benefits and great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Salary - fair and annual inflationary increases each year, including an annual lump sum pay award. Plus a pay grade scheme based on merit which means you have the ability to earn more with experience. Good opportunities for progression and development compared to previous employers. Good benefits - generous maternity pay, cycle2work scheme, childcare vouchers, great online portal for retail discounts, pension &... death in service scheme to name a few. There are lots of great people working in SGN and it's usually a nice working atmosphere. SGN are a company committed to continuous improvement and take things like safety and employee engagement really seriously. There have been lots of positive changes even since I started three years ago. SGN are also committed to charity/community work which is great - each colleague gets a day to volunteer and help local causes. Company communications are good and they are actively looking at ways to meet the challenge of communicating with a geographical diverse and mainly field-based workforce. The new app is brilliant and really professional. There is a great recognition culture with colleagues getting regularly awarded vouchers plus an annual awards ceremony.

Cons

Like probably all big companies there can be some elements of teams working in silos. The company can be a little old fashioned regarding things like part time working and I wasn't able to secure this when I needed to (however my managers were supportive in other ways like giving me a phased return to full time, however this didn't suit my personal situation). The senior management is lacking a bit in diversity,... however I do think the company are doing a lot to gradually change this dynamic and are committed to bring more diversity on board. There have been several big structural changes in our team affecting my role/job description, which is a bit unsettling. I do also think there is too much of a culture of travelling to meetings which don't need to be face to face - there could be better use of modern technology instead. This would be much more environmentally friendly and improve work/life balance for some employees.

Advice to Management

Ultimately I've taken the decision to leave SGN due to personal reasons - but I would recommend the company as an employer to others. No company is perfect but SGN are working hard on the areas where change is needed. My main advice would be to look at a more modern approach to flexible/part-time working, working from home and to avoiding travel for unnecessary face to face meetings. But also - keep up the good work!

SGN2017-08-01

August 10, 2017Employee Experience Team

Thanks for your review. It’s great so hear so much positivity from you, it’s clear you’ve enjoyed working for SGN and I’m sorry you’ve decided to leave. You’re right that things are changing. New people at senior levels brings in different insights and improvements. We’re trying to modernise our HR practices, which includes things like flexible working. There are examples of job sharing, part-time working and compressed hours – it needs a willingness to try to do things differently. Being a geographical dispersed workplace means that some travel is inevitable but we’re hoping technology such as Office 365 will change the way we work, if we embrace the many benefits on offer. Wishing you all the best in your future endeavours.

"Apprentices"

I have been working at SGN

Pros

Excellent scheme for young people to learn and grow in a friendly and well structured environment. Very promising for the future to see the company taking apprenticeships seriously - don't stop running the schemes.

Cons

Bit more e-learning would benefit, paper qualifications and interest from the senior management would benefit all sides.

Advice to Management

Need to encourage more females to come into the industry through improved recruitment of the scheme to show it can offer opportunities for all. Be seen to give it a bit more support from the top is never a bad thing.

SGN2017-03-09

August 1, 2017Employee Experience Co-ordinator

Thanks for your review – we really value your feedback. We’re really pleased to hear you feel positively about our apprentice scheme and agree that it’s a great opportunity for young people to grow and develop as part of SGN. You’ve mentioned diversity and the need to encourage women to join engineering roles. We have recently supported campaigns such as International Women in Engineering Day, where office-based female colleagues shadowed engineering and field-based colleagues for a day, allowing them both to learn more about each other’s roles. This, along with other recent campaigns focused on gender equality, has given us the chance to reflect on what else we can do to develop an inclusive and flexible culture. Our Executive team has changed this year too - we’ve now got three female leaders who have responsibility for Legal, HR and Stakeholder Relations. On the subject of eLearning, we’re reviewing our learning and Development offer, and plan to use varied approaches over and above traditional classroom style. We hope to launch a new Learning Management System in Autumn. We have lots of positive change ahead and feedback like yours is helping us to shape our future, so thank you again for your review.

"SGN is the worst company ever. Seriously !"

Current Employee - Gas Network Operator in Coatbridge, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are no PROs in this job. The fact you get to go home away from the place is the most satisfying thing about it. I would rate SGN with 0 stars but unfortunately that isnt an option so ill have to break my heart and offer them an undeserved 1 star.

Cons

Employees dont have a voice. HR are supposed to see things from both sides but team up with the company against employees. Constant lies and victimisation towards certain individuals from senior management. Try to control your personal life aswell as working life. Employees losing out on thousands per yer due to managment trying to take advantage of loopholes in contract. Law breaking acts taking place daily... amoung managers. Im sure youve already seen this place in the newspapers a couple of times. Stay clear of this place. Securing a job here will be a decision you will live to regret.

Advice to Management

Give employees what they are due. Get off the guys backs especially when it is you who is up to no good. Could say alot more but the words I would use im sure wont be allowed on here. Go sort out your sad pathetic lives.

SGN2016-11-06

"Currently team manager"

Current Employee - EMS Manager in England, AR

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

# Pension, # over time # lots of training for field staff # good apprenticeship scheme

Cons

Senior management always interfering, no real career progression, big difference in payscales between D & C business for doing the same job

Advice to Management

Let your managers manage

SGN2017-04-04