SSE Advisor Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

SSE CEO Alistair Phillips-Davies
Alistair Phillips-Davies

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "One of the best jobs I've had"

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Perth, Scotland
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Perth, Scotland

I worked at SSE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Traning, your team, friendly managers, great pay, easy hours.

Cons

get changed departments and teams quite a bit

2. "General Enquiries inbound Call Centre"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Portsmouth, South East England, England

I have been working at SSE full-time

Pros

Hour lunch breaks
    Extra break at anytime (5% of shift)
    Great training environment
    Huge variety canteen

Cons

No progression
    Only care about stats
    Constant changing of schedule arrangement
    Outdated/slow internal systems
    Sudden removal of perks (no notice)
    Difficult to book holiday
    Not competitive for customers
    Poor management role models
    Change to products with no notification
    Can not park on site, will not subsidise parking
    Moved desks more times than I can count in a short period of time
    Would not arrange a desk assessment
    Lunches staggered differently for everyone on your team, makes it difficult to socialise

Advice to Management

Don’t punish advisors for customers saying no to an offer (particularly emails)
    Don’t focus too much on the stats, focus on the customer service provided (that’s the job after all)
    Help your advisors when they ask
    Help advisors from other teams, their manager may already be busy

"Shambolic management. Lack of concern for staff."

Current Contractor - Sales Retention Advisor in Cardiff, Wales
    Current Contractor - Sales Retention Advisor in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at SSE as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Only work one Saturday a month.
    Not the worst salary for such a brainless job.

Cons

Very repetitive
    Very poor management
    Temp contracts which mean they can remove you for absolutely any reason they see fit. No matter how trivial.

Advice to Management

Stop with the mistrust and the "golden safety rules" which encourage an aggressive attitude amongst colleagues.

Please employ competent and capable people to work as trainers and managers and not people who want the status of being a team manager. My own managers first conversation with me was an official warning due to my stats not being what they were supposed to be after being in training for 7 weeks. No help or advice was offered to help me to improve and I was on my team for over 2 weeks before I was introduced to any of my colleagues. Each day I was reminded by my team manager that I was inadequate at my job, again with no offer of support in how to achieve set targets. Which was quite amusing in a way as she was known amongst most of the staff as the MOST inadequate and useless manager in the whole of SPC. My Managers favourite and what she believed to be an appropriate response was "I don't know" for pretty much anything.

Ironically my desk was next to a sign that said "Its our job to make sure you love coming to work". The same company that took all agency workers into a room one day to remind us we were not as important as permanent staff members and a single incident of sickness (no matter how genuine) would lead to a review and that temps should expect to be dismissed. This in itself led to a culture of fear of letting yourself get ill. I witnessed people turning up for work in some dreadful states not wanting to lose their income. Only for them to struggle through the day. One day I even witnessed one temporary employee vomit at his desk through fear of actually admitting he was ill and possibly losing his job.
    This too was frowned upon and one particularly nasty female academy coach who consistently bad mouthed the new starters decided that she was satisfied he genuinely wasnt well.

Academy coaches leave a lot to be desired. They seem to be appointed on their ability to belittle yet sound grossly unintelligent at the same time.

Sse do not care about individuals that work for them. Even to the point that one man on my team was told to arrange a shift swap so that he could attend his OWN wedding, despite working for the company for TEN years.

The golden safety rules are questionable indeed.. I do agree that health and safety is important but when you encourage every member of staff to bully each other into adhering to your ideal safety culture under the assess risks and accept challenges rules it can lead to an atmosphere of hostility amongst staff members.

My 3 months temping at SSE were certainly the worst three months of my working life. Never have I felt so unwelcome and miserable in a work place in all my life.

God bless everyone who is able to find getting out of bed to work at this company even the tiniest bit enjoyable.

5. "General Enquiries Customer Advisor"

Former Employee - General Enquiries Customer Advisor
    Former Employee - General Enquiries Customer Advisor

I worked at SSE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay. Free to speak (no script) and be yourself. Good training systems, they really invest in you. Flexible working patterens available.

Cons

customers shouting at you & managers do not want to take over. Having to "own" a complaint, and sort it out yourself.
    Limited options to move departments.

"Wage good- work like stressful"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Cardiff, Wales
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at SSE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good wage not much else

Cons

OTT health and safety
    Bad shift patterns
    Stressful workplace

"SSE"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Cumbernauld, Scotland

I have been working at SSE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compared to other call centres the salary is very good. The job isn't to complicated either.

Cons

I don't like repetitive desk work and would like to be up and moving around so the job doesn't suit me.

Advice to Management

Sometimes the manner that some management speak to you is very undermining.

"Avoid! Awful ..."

Former Employee - Advisor in Cumbernauld, Scotland

I worked at SSE part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

None nothing nada zilch zip zero

Cons

Do not stand by their own company values, treat majority of employees like something they found on the sole of their shoe.

Advice to Management

Start again from the bottom up. Ensure the right people are in the right roles. Stop bullying practices.

"Safety Sam - Do as I say not do as I do"

Former Employee - Advisor in Cumbernauld, Scotland

I worked at SSE (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some like minded nice people who work there. Some of the customers were really nice, however not able to carry out job to its full due to the comments made below in the Cons section.

Cons

Endemic blame and bullying culture. If your face doesnt fit or you are not a yes person then this company is not for you. Remember - Perception is reality! What people do and say are completely different. This company says is extremely committed to championing complaints and resolving them, and also being the safest company in the world. What actually happens is that complaints get passes like the proverbial hot potato, fingers get pointed, and if you dont take it on the chin then you are accused of not being a team player and having a bad attitude all because you found a legitimate fault in the reporting and management process and they dont want to listen or do anything about it. This company is all about being seen to be doing the right thing however it brushes everything under the carpet for an easy quick fix. Job satisfaction can never happen because for you to actually do your job properly in the time and manner required as you are trained to do, it is made completely impossible due to the huge amount of anally retentive , ridiculous policies and procedures which are imposed, and management always take a non active role in supporting you.

Advice to Management

Cut out all of the cancer out of your organisation and redress the shambolic policies and procedures within all facets of the company and you will have a great place to work. Until such time as this happens, every day will become as is was another firefighting situation, where yet again one is always one the back foot. Stop saying that you provide world class customer service until you actually do this within the company and also to your customers.

"Not concerned about staff's welfare"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Cumbernauld, Scotland

I have been working at SSE part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good 12% discount on energy, good benefits programme

Cons

Very time managed, little room for freedom.

Advice to Management

Stop being so stat driven and stop being on your staff's back all the time

"Avoid working at sse customer service!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Havant, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Havant, England

I worked at SSE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Non that i can think of, would have given one pro if we could use the parking on site.

Cons

Bullying environment, stats orientated and unrealistic expectations. Although SSE care about the customers, they dont care about you (staff). Very unprofessional with plenty of shouting around you and playing silly games - feels like youre back at school. If youre looking for a career, dont go for sse as they only pick oit their favourites.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff and stop brushing us off like your system is working. Its a shambles and is leading to staff leaving. Also, find yourself real team leaders with experience - not cowboys for team leaders/managers. Abaolute joke!