SSE Advisor Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

SSE CEO Alistair Phillips-Davies
Alistair Phillips-Davies

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "General Enquiries Customer Advisor"

Former Employee - General Enquiries Customer Advisor
    Former Employee - General Enquiries Customer Advisor

I worked at SSE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay. Free to speak (no script) and be yourself. Good training systems, they really invest in you. Flexible working patterens available.

Cons

customers shouting at you & managers do not want to take over. Having to "own" a complaint, and sort it out yourself.
    Limited options to move departments.

"SSE"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Cumbernauld, Scotland

I have been working at SSE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compared to other call centres the salary is very good. The job isn't to complicated either.

Cons

I don't like repetitive desk work and would like to be up and moving around so the job doesn't suit me.

Advice to Management

Sometimes the manner that some management speak to you is very undermining.

"Wage good- work like stressful"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Cardiff, Wales
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at SSE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good wage not much else

Cons

OTT health and safety
    Bad shift patterns
    Stressful workplace

"Avoid! Awful ..."

Former Employee - Advisor in Cumbernauld, Scotland

I worked at SSE part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

None nothing nada zilch zip zero

Cons

Do not stand by their own company values, treat majority of employees like something they found on the sole of their shoe.

Advice to Management

Start again from the bottom up. Ensure the right people are in the right roles. Stop bullying practices.

"Safety Sam - Do as I say not do as I do"

Former Employee - Advisor in Cumbernauld, Scotland

I worked at SSE (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some like minded nice people who work there. Some of the customers were really nice, however not able to carry out job to its full due to the comments made below in the Cons section.

Cons

Endemic blame and bullying culture. If your face doesnt fit or you are not a yes person then this company is not for you. Remember - Perception is reality! What people do and say are completely different. This company says is extremely committed to championing complaints and resolving them, and also being the safest company in the world. What actually happens is that complaints get passes like the proverbial hot potato, fingers get pointed, and if you dont take it on the chin then you are accused of not being a team player and having a bad attitude all because you found a legitimate fault in the reporting and management process and they dont want to listen or do anything about it. This company is all about being seen to be doing the right thing however it brushes everything under the carpet for an easy quick fix. Job satisfaction can never happen because for you to actually do your job properly in the time and manner required as you are trained to do, it is made completely impossible due to the huge amount of anally retentive , ridiculous policies and procedures which are imposed, and management always take a non active role in supporting you.

Advice to Management

Cut out all of the cancer out of your organisation and redress the shambolic policies and procedures within all facets of the company and you will have a great place to work. Until such time as this happens, every day will become as is was another firefighting situation, where yet again one is always one the back foot. Stop saying that you provide world class customer service until you actually do this within the company and also to your customers.

"Not concerned about staff's welfare"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Cumbernauld, Scotland

I have been working at SSE part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good 12% discount on energy, good benefits programme

Cons

Very time managed, little room for freedom.

Advice to Management

Stop being so stat driven and stop being on your staff's back all the time

"Avoid working at sse customer service!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Havant, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Havant, England

I worked at SSE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Non that i can think of, would have given one pro if we could use the parking on site.

Cons

Bullying environment, stats orientated and unrealistic expectations. Although SSE care about the customers, they dont care about you (staff). Very unprofessional with plenty of shouting around you and playing silly games - feels like youre back at school. If youre looking for a career, dont go for sse as they only pick oit their favourites.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff and stop brushing us off like your system is working. Its a shambles and is leading to staff leaving. Also, find yourself real team leaders with experience - not cowboys for team leaders/managers. Abaolute joke!

"Customer service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Coventry, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Coventry, England

Pros

People there are nice to work with. We alway support each other whenever we need.

Cons

Working in a Call centre is very stressful. There's a lot to take in.

Advice to Management

Training period is too short to cover the situations happening everyday.

"If your thinking of joining, just don't."

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Cardiff, Wales
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Cardiff, Wales

I worked at SSE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Starting salary is good considering what job you do, the best part is when you leave the office and finish your shift.

Cons

This company is one of the worst I have ever encountered, you have to reverse park your car, are handed out "yellow cards" for breaking their rules like walking down the stairs without holding a handrail. They only allow you to park on site a few days a week with that you need to display an SSE badge with the day you can park the other days you need to park offsite (very difficult in the middle of nowhere), the managers are bullying manipulative and if you speak up you will be targeted. They have no morals for their employees, the starting wage is pretty good but ask yourself
    Is money everything? I would much rather clean toilets and be happy! This company drain you, you work until 10pm most nights, they recruit every month because the turnover of staff is terrible. You are bombarded with safety notices all day everyday, they promise you the world but when your their your a number who can be replaced next intake (a month later) they are sexist, racist and treat you like dirt and I was only customer service, I've seen lots of the woman cry at their desks and then they are told off incase customers can hear them! Awful stay away my advice go elsewhere someone who treats their employers like
    Real, happy people.

Advice to Management

Quit

"Truly terrible"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Portsmouth, South East England, England

I have been working at SSE part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I can't think of any pros apart from the friends I made

Cons

Treat you like dirt don't value or make use of your skills and employ kids to manage staff who have been there so many years prior to the manager

Advice to Management

A revamp is needed you need to treasure and make use of your experienced staff and the skills they have. 1 star given for career as if you are a part time parent there is no hope for progression