SSE Employee Reviews about "sse"

Updated Oct 12, 2021

Found 56 of over 947 reviews

3.6
SSE CEO Alistair Phillips-Davies
Alistair Phillips-Davies
Pros
  • "Flexible working, Good Pension contributions(in 59 reviews)

• "Good benefits and career progression options(in 43 reviews)

• Cons
  • "SSE was sold to OVO so I was not sure of my future(in 43 reviews)

• "Senior Management were stuck in the dark ages(in 38 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about SSE

Join the conversation on
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "sse"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      KEY NOT FOUND: jobLine.self_employ-former

SSE was a great place to work

Jan 28, 2021 - Senior Analyst/Programmer in Portsmouth, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

SSE was a good place to work before they outsourced their development to offshore in India

Cons

SSE was sold to OVO so I was not sure of my future .

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Salary and General

Oct 12, 2021 - Smart Meter Engineer in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good management and people not robots that just want numbers numbers like some or most should I say, energy/metering companies out there. Salary up there especially doing a 6 day week throughout the month can expect around shy of 3000net or without overtime averaging around 2.3net, other metering companies salary’s as low as 1.8/2k a month. It’s not all about money always because you can make more money in metering elsewhere by doing price per for. But SSE in general have a good balance. Good relationships with their staff. people work here from all different backgrounds and it’s good to be part of it. Parking tickets also paid for. Although company has been bought now by OVO and things are slowly becoming more interesting as the companies have merged.

Cons

No comment I’m sure there’s some but that would not be fair to state as these would be personal opinions.

3. 3.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Overall Good Company and Interesting Projects

Aug 10, 2021 - Architect
      Business Outlook

Pros

The project I worked on was really interesting it allows you to get involved in many different areas of the business.

Cons

I enjoyed working at SSE, I can’t think of anything could say that would deter anybody from working for them.

4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

great until your part of the buisness gets sold and you have to take VER

Jun 23, 2021 - Process Improvement Analyst in Portsmouth, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

the People who you work with make it great

Cons

Leadership of new company that was sold from SSE to another energy supplier

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Lots of changes

Feb 12, 2021 - Project Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

SSE is quite stable but this depends on the area you work in (Generation, Transmission, Renewables etc). They are normally flexible and there are some amazing people who work here.

Cons

SSE appears to be selling a lot of their "non core" businesses such as Telecoms, Retail etc

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Former Contractor, more than 5 years

Nice people, but limited career opportunities in IT.

Feb 19, 2021 - VBA Developer in Havant, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

They have an on-site canteen that serves cooked breakfast. Lots of people work there. They are nice to work with.

Cons

I worked at SSE for 7 years. Constantly applied for jobs in IT, but could not get one. Avoid if you want to work in IT.

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Scottish and Southern Energy

Jan 16, 2021 - Customer Service Advisor in Cumbernauld, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

The best thing about working with SSE is the fast paced environment of managing customers queries and accounts day to day. The day can go in very quickly because you are always so busy.

Cons

There can be times when the work feels very repetitive and when you are tasked with difficult queries from customers you aren’t given enough time to deal with it effectively as you have very high standard of telephony targets

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Current Employee

Steady energy company

Oct 15, 2020 - Project Manager in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

People will always need energy

Cons

Energy market is changing (renewables etc) and SSE like other companies is having to change

9. 3.0
      Current Contractor

IT Helpdesk Analyst

Jun 3, 2020 - IT Helpdesk Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

It Fun working at SSE , Learning lot of things

Cons

Looking for Permanent Job Now

10. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

A once great company that has really lost it’s way

Jan 28, 2020 - Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are still a few good skilled people in the business that give me some hope for it’s future but it seems to be fewer and fewer by the day. SSE Group do have a wide range of soft perks that compliment the standard pay & conditions.

Cons

Please note this is specific to the Enterprise Contracting arm of the business: The last few years haven’t been kind to the business and volatility at the top of the business has caused disruption and a lack of direction. The current management team has now stabilised and found their feet but unfortunately they have rebuilt the foundations of the company on short sightedness and fear. They don’t seem to understand the core business offering and customer base which has brought so much success over the last 25+ years. This results in confusion between how the business tries to operate and what the customer expects. This confusion has clearly manifested itself in the annual results which look to show a 3rd / 4th consecutive year of losses. The spiral then continues focusing on the short term and alienating more customers and staff. The staff impact is as clear as the financial ones with sickness and turnover of staff everywhere you look. As people and their expertise leave, the vacancies are filled with the expectation from all around them that they too will be gone within 6 months. This is particularly true of the Business Development teams but is in no way isolated to them. The business is filled with anger, bullying, unreasonable demands, a blame culture and a real sadness. It‘s sad to see a company that I care so much about, spent so much time with, and was once so good, both in terms of their treatment of staff and their profitability, fall so far. You may wonder why I would still be here if it was so bad? I’ve done what I had to recently and gave my notice, I just want others to know what they face and strongly advise that you look elsewhere.

2 people found this review helpful