Sage Customer Support Analyst Reviews

Updated 19 May 2020

3.6
  1. "Sage a very good place to work at."

Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst

I have been working at Sage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great people overall, strong team environment, good managers, great benefits, promotion and improvement possibilities

Cons

multiple tools needed to do simple tasks, many web pages to access.

Sage2020-05-13

"Entirely dependent on your manager"

Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Sage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Sage has a great PTO policy where you receive over 3 weeks of combined sick/vacation time which you can use as you see fit. Additionally, the Sage Foundation program allows you to directly work with charities while Sage covers your wages for up to 40 hours a year. The new CEO is definitely doing right by all employees and taking the company in a positive direction. The previous CEO strangled the company and lead to lots of people leaving and was terrible for morale, so this has been a much-needed and welcome adjustment. There is room for advancement at Sage, at least at the Beaverton location. Almost everyone at a management level has been internally promoted, while trainers, some sales representatives, some of the developers, and the R&D team featuring many former analysts. There is a lot of room to grow internally and advance. Coworkers here go above and beyond to assist each other on projects and when we get the chance to collaborate with each other, it's one of the highlights of the job. A few of the managers here are lovely both as bosses and as people, who go above and beyond to try and do right by the workers and by the employees. Mine in particular is an absolute angel and has gone above and beyond to make my experience working at Sage a positive one, including going outside of her standard job description to assist when other people in the company drop the ball. She has often helped mitigate the cons of the company which I'll be talking about. The in-office facility is pretty spacious overall, there are no issues regarding improper maintenance.

Cons

The work can be emotionally exhausting if customers are frustrated and directing that frustration at you. The company is switching to a SaaS model which is disappointing. Sales leads are a metric everyone in support is tracked on, and you're required to have a 7% lead ratio. When being hired, this was not disclosed as a goal we'd need to focus on achieving. It's generally not difficult to get to this while also not actively trying to upsell to customers, as new customers often need training or call directly in to make purchases. However, with COVID, management has been harping more and more on selling add ons, licenses, and services to our customers. This is incredibly uncomfortable, as people often discuss with us now how COVID-19 has negatively impacted their business or their personal lives, and attempting to sell them something following that is something I feel is inappropriate when they just need technical support. The onboarding process is rough - contractors are brought in in groups of 20+ and in training they try to cram as much knowledge as possible to get you ready for peak season after about a month of experience, which generally leaves less than 10 by the time peak season is finished. By the next hiring season, there's generally 3 to 5 people left per class. Additionally, when hired on full time as a contractor, a lot of the "guarantees" like an established employee who would help show you the ropes or orientation either don't happen or are very delayed. My new hire orientation occurred almost four months after I was hired, which is controlled by someone in a different office that I can't reach out to - my manager tried to have this happen sooner, and constantly had to go out of her way to show me how the company handles PTO, timesheets, 401k info, etc even though this orientation team is supposed to do all of that.  Announcements on policy changes seemingly are not conveyed efficiently to management or by management to their team, as we've often learned when discussing said new policy changes over lunch or in the break room. It generally takes employees discussing with management how each team has interpreted this differently/some teams totally disregarding new policy changes for the first few weeks of the change being made. Some managers are incredibly hands off, to the point of delegating their responsibilities to their staff. One manager in particular has one of his team members conduct one-on-one meetings when this employee does not have a senior role, while another has consistently dropped "additional" responsibilities like managing sales lead counts to the rest of management.  There is no on-campus HR representative, so we're expected to report HR-related issues to our immediate manager, which leads into my biggest drawback with the company... I've witnessed are multiple instances of sexual harassment from male colleagues directed to female colleagues. One of the managers defended the harasser by saying "he's from a different era" after inappropriate touching and lewd comments. The behavior continued after he was asked to stop, and his manager who defended him tried to ask people to stop discussing the harassment in the workplace. The harasser was eventually let go after multiple people went to other managers and to upper management, but it was a very frustrating thing to see as people felt uncomfortable for months as nothing was done about it. Additionally, the contractor manager often touched women on their shoulders or backs and was asked to stop numerous times before he was reprimanded by management, but then the behavior continued for months afterwards.

Sage2020-05-19

May 28, 2020Global Talent Brand Manager

Customer facing roles in any industry can be emotionally exhausting especially when you care as much as it sounds like you care. So we really appreciate your hard work in taking care of our customers and our customers’ success. I am happy to hear that you see the positive direction of our company under the leadership of our CEO Steve Hare as well as that of your immediate manager, because it is important that all levels of management display a consistent level of leading at Sage. It is inspiring to hear of the internal career advancement opportunities you see because colleague success is a strategic focus for us as an organization. I am, however, very concerned about your comment about sexual harassment not being taken seriously because this behavior is unacceptable and will not be tolerated and ask that you contact me directly at careers@sage.com.

"They sure do put on a good show of having a moral back bone. Very convincing."

1.0
    Former Employee - Customer Support Analyst in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Sage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Full time employees get paid something approaching a living wage. The building is pretty nice. Desks, equipment and cubicles are pretty good, too. It's nice not having big walls between you and your neighbor.

Cons

Gender pay gap is a problem. Even after certain individuals finally got a well deserved promotion (see below regarding promotion and hire freezes), certain individual was still paid significantly less than new hires. Management does not consider employee complaints and sweeps them under the rug. What kind of complaints? Pretty much all of them. During an "all in" meeting, we were told "I'm not asking you to astroturf Glassdoor with good reviews, but, all of you, please post a positive review on Glassdoor," almost verbatim. I say almost because that was last year during a discussion about how their Glassdoor score wasn't as good as they'd like. Corporate enforced a hire freeze and a promotions freeze that we were told about by management, even though I've seen Corporate argue tooth and nail that there has never been a hiring or promotion freeze. Customer support analysts are expected to do sales work even though there is a sales team. Also, even once the promotions freeze finally ended, not meeting your sales quota meant that you were not eligible for promotions. I sure hope you like pushing sales at the end of every call. I sure hope you didn't pick the support position because you like *helping people* and troubleshooting tricky problems, and aren't morally opposed to tricking people into spending money that they don't need to. Otherwise, this ain't the job for you. Sexual harassment issues went unaddressed for weeks by lower management, and then the people who went over lower management's head to report it to someone above them were punished for following sexual harassment training guidelines specifically stating that, if management won't help, go over their heads.

Sage2020-05-06

May 15, 2020Global Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for leaving a review. Our mission is to support a culture at Sage that creates a positive colleague experience. Our career training programs, diversity and inclusion (Belong) program, our volunteer opportunities and compensation structure give all colleagues the opportunity to improve themselves, grow their career, and participate in programs to improve their lives both personally and professionally. Although businesses are always changing, especially during these times, our commitment to our colleagues remain the same. We are, however, very concerned about your comment about sexual harassment. This behavior is completely unacceptable and is not tolerated at Sage.

"don't do it"

1.0
    Former Employee - Customer Support Analyst

I worked at Sage full-time

Pros

nothing is good about the company

Cons

everything, no support for employees unless you are sales

Sage2020-02-10

February 11, 2020Global Talent Brand Manager

I am sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience while you were here at Sage. We appreciate the contributions you made while you were part of the team, and wish you best wishes in your future opportunities.

5. "Great Company"

Current Contractor - IT Customer Support Analyst in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Sage for less than a year

Pros

Great advancement opportunities and excellent pay and benefits

Cons

Low on coffee and that is about all

Sage2019-12-18

"Decent place to work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Sage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Can be fun and interesting work. Good work for those who like solving problems. Lots of room for growth and promotion.

Cons

The work can get repetitive at times. But most importantly analysts are very underpaid for the work that they do here.

Sage2019-11-08

"Great Atmosphere"

Current Contractor - Customer Support Analyst in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Sage for less than a year

Pros

Great culture. even with a class of 30 they still take the time to ensure that you understand the training and product.

Cons

I have none at this time

Sage2019-10-23

"Sage is the best company that I have had the pleasure of working for thus far."

I have been working at Sage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

No micromanagement. Warm, friendly environment. Health/company Benefits. Sales lead perks. Allotted vacation time. Work from home opportunities.

Cons

Starting pay could be higher. No option to request vacation time for the day after Christmas.

Sage2019-02-12

February 13, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts - we're glad you love it here as much as we do!

"It's Decent....Not Amazing"

4.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Sage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits. Nice location for commute. Good Holiday

Cons

They pay more attention to sales position than any other position. They get treated way better than Support or any other function. They tend to not care about Support analysts and their comfortable workflow utilities. There's no job opportunities for Support to move up. Takes several years to advance your career path or obtain your true salary value.

Sage2017-11-21

November 23, 2017Channel and Campaign Manager, Talent Acquisition Team

Thanks for your insight and feedback. We value all colleagues and every single one has an impact on customers. Have you worked with your manager to create a development plan? Within YourSage under People>Performance Management you'll find the Performance Management Playbook and there's a section covering Development Planning. All People Leaders at Sage are undertaking the Leadership@Sage programme where they'll be trained in the area of coaching - to enable them to help our people in a more constructive way. It may also be worth looking at Linda.com as there's a number of modules to help develop your career further, plus the Careers section (under People on YourSage). Good luck and hope you build a great career here at Sage.

"Employee first and customer will be taken care of."

2.0
    Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst II in Richmond, BC

I have been working at Sage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits are comparable to other companies. The location is accessible by public transport.

Cons

Always changing rules. Low payscale. Ridiculous performance rating requirement to get a bonus or increment.

Sage2017-07-28