Sage Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Updated 23 Apr 2020

4.1
Pros
  • "Flexible working provides the best work life balance I have experienced anywhere(in 168 reviews)

• "Great people - Flexibility - Sage Foundation "giving back" - Good benefits package - Fantastic products(in 129 reviews)

Cons
  • "Unpredictable deadlines, fast changing upper management (executive level)(in 63 reviews)

• "This has been done inconspicuously with no official communication from the senior management team(in 43 reviews)

Reviews about "senior management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Marketing Apprentice

I have been working at Sage full-time for less than a year

Pros

- culturally diverse - vibrant work environment - stays focused on strengths - values employee's contributions

Cons

My first impressions of the company are really positive. They have looked after me from the beginning and chosen their employees judiciously . I haven't yet had the chance to meet senior management but thus far are the most considerate company I have worked for and hope the remaining part of my apprenticeship is just as enjoyable.

Sage2020-01-03
  2. "Good company"

4.0
    Current Employee - Technical Support Advisor

I have been working at Sage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits for working with sage.

Cons

Not many, mainly lack of communication from senior management

Sage2019-08-28

"It’s not what you know...."

2.0
    Current Employee - Product in London, England

I have been working at Sage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Sage Foundation - a great charitable culture

Cons

Promotion due to relations/friendships rather than merit. Career progression opportunities not evident. Too many levels of senior management. Blame culture.

Sage2019-06-17

June 18, 2019VP, Talent Acquisition

We agree that Sage Foundation has made an amazing impact on our culture as it encourages our colleagues to be involved in social change and very grateful that all colleagues are given 5 days to support a cause they hold dear. Thank you for your feedback on some of the things you see are areas of opportunity. Opportunities for career advancement is very important to our leadership team and overall culture and never want there to be a perception that it is based on anything other than merit.

"A great place to work"

Current Employee - Payroll Assistant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Sage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A good work life balance, flexible working hours, great building location. Well paid roles and salary.

Cons

Not many, mainly lack of communication from senior management.

Sage2019-04-17

"Focus from new CEO"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Sage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Customer focus returning pride to loyal colleagues. There are leaders here who inspire and take colleagues with them - and recognize shared success. Early signs of empowerment to innovate as the company comes out of the significant transformation and leadership changes.

Cons

Continuous change may not be for everybody. Execution of financial performance against unrealistic expectations has impacted bonus' in recent years. There are some in senior management who appear to take zero accountability for decisions - but this seems to generally not be tolerated if identified by Executive.

Sage2018-11-22

January 14, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. I’m glad you can see the progress that’s being made further to our transformation and new CEO taking the reins. Sage is committed to being a great SaaS business for customers and colleagues alike – collaborative, action-orientated colleagues, who just want to get stuff done are absolutely key to this!

"Old school"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnersh, England

I have been working at Sage full-time

Pros

You gain experience of what a place looks like with really poor management.

Cons

The company and senior management are stuck in the eighties. They will try to be relevant by using terminology (anybody hear about cloud and API's lately?), but they have no clue what they are doing. Then there's the thing where the entire company is now basically run by a single person (a large multinational with the same person as CFO, COO and CEO isn't alarming at all!). They absolutely refuse to listen to employees, but as with everything else, they will pretend to. Real experience: they were doing kick-off sessions, asking employees to submit questions which would be answered on-stage. Surprisingly, some questions actually made it to the app, but they were all deleted before the event. Everything is censored, there is absolutely no way that you can have an open and honest conversation with senior management.

Sage2018-10-27

"Sales"

2.0

I have been working at Sage full-time

Pros

People, location, location Location location location location

Cons

Company going sideways as opposed to progressing forward segregation between teams senior management dont listen high turnover base salary is low Company has no direction product is not good customer base not happy with company

Sage2018-05-29

June 1, 2018Chief People Officer

Thank you for your review. We are concerned about your experience and would like to connect with you. Our colleagues are our most important part of Sage and we do not condone any abusive behaviour. Please use our whistleblowing service to speak to us anonymously or contact a member of our People Services team directly.

"Toxic"

I worked at Sage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Sage Foundation. Whatever the ulterior motive (I believe Mr Kelly sees this as his route to a Knighthood), the foundation is fantastic and should be commended. Probably the best charitable part of an organisation I've seen. - Apprentice Scheme. Apprentices are well paid and it's good for them. I would go as far here as to saying I'd send my kids there on one of these schemes. That's where the pros end these days

Cons

Now, this might get wordy. I'm going to try and be as thorough as possible. For me, a company like Sage should focus on their people and their products - if you get this right then everything else take care of itself through people's objectives. The reality is Sage focuses on a "number" and PR and that's it. - Firstly, ultimately, Stephen Kelly has to go. I put 99% of the problems that I'm going to go through down to that man. He is a "rockstar" CEO if I want to use his jargon. Absolutely fantastic at PR and probably a good outward face of the company. But that's where his positives end. He's running the company into the ground and is purely focusing on a bottom line. His exec team focus the same way and I put that down to his direction. - Sales targets - but a lack of direction. Again, the direction word will become a theme here. Sales targets rising and rising and rising. Head count going down and down and down. And now, a panic cull of ground floor employees because of a lack of leadership from above has not supported their managers correctly. New Business - The reality is - Sage has no genuine new business strategy AT ALL. They've harped on and on about a TV advert - they're a FTSE 100 company and our non-FTSE competitors have been doing this for years. That is as deep a new business strategy as you'll find from that marketing team and the sales teams around. - Communication - is non existent. I mean completely. Mr Kelly vowed to "smash the silos". And maybe he did and they always existed - but he's built silos around everyone else. Everything down to the recent shift to move our HR support team into a back office function. Marketing don't speak to sales, people change roles all the time (generally through undeserved backside kissed promotions or unannounced sackings - it's always extremes). Finance and Sales don't match up - they work off different reporting and no one can get their heads around how that works - analysts would absolutely poop their pants if they could see the on the floor reality of this. - Forced ranking. Ask a manager for a ranking, change it without even asking and submit it. It's horrendous. It makes me wonder why even have managers full stop? Just let ground floor staff work and then just sack as appropriate (hey, this could happen given the recent changes!) - The number. Just find a way. No direction, no budget, commissions destroyed in sales, incentives nearly non existent now. Just find a way. The lack of direction or thoughts on doing this from mid-senior management levels is disturbing. These people are not managers on merit, they're managers because they've done enough backside kissing to be managers. The company will make the stats fit whatever agenda they want it to fit. - Blame culture. Rather than working together, rather than collaborating to find solutions or actually facing into reality if there's a problem. Just fail and point the finger at someone. This, again, falls to Mr Kelly. It's from his level down, Senior Management cannot be told when their ridiculous targets are ridiculous for a reason - they are unrealistic. - Boys club. (this isn't gender specific mind). Back to silos and communication here and head in sand. At a mid level, numbers might be unrealistic but they are NEVER CHALLENGED. So, the boys clubs kicks in. Whoevers friend group is the tightest knit will probably end with the most favourable targets. - Completely misaligned salaries and bonus plans. From a sales point of view, you could be doing the exact same job as the person next to you and being compensated half/double that person. Now, on the flip side of this, I do believe you sign up to a contract and that's that - but this goes to extremes. - PR PR PR. The blind panic around Social Media (and I include Glassdoor in that) is unbelievable. Look at the replies to the negative reviews on here. What I'm saying about head burying should ring true there (esp to existing employees). There's a lot of speak/waffle and little to no action taken. It's all about making certain that what is visible in the public domain is dealt with in a timely manner. A good example of this is you could have someone going through a technical problem on the phone, costing their business thousands, but going through the right process. If this person tweets Stephen Kelly, Christ, you might as well sound an air raid siren. It'll be dealt with and the business will sell their soul to make you not tweet negatively about them again. - Whistleblowing policy not fit for purpose. I've seen people on here replying say to use it. Don't. There's no such thing as complete anonymity in that business. Someone will know it's you and there'll be a red mark and you could find yourself in the same boat as some of the last raft of employees that just went on the scrap heap. My advice would be if you've a problem, it will only ever be solved short term anyway, just take it as the push you need to get out of the door. Sage aren't the top payers in the industry anymore (unless you're a lucky one on a major contract). These jobs are ten'a'penny. The grass is greener on the other side in this case. There probably is more but this should suffice.

Sage2018-06-03

"Existing staff: flee while you can! Prospective employees: RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!!"

I have been working at Sage full-time

Pros

Some amazing people at Sage. I'm not referring to Management - they are total idiots.

Cons

Where does one start? Management consists of apathetic sociopaths who don't give a damn about their staff or customers. I have NEVER experienced such a toxic, vile culture. So many great staff members are being bullied mercilessly out of the business in the most underhanded, creative and illegal methods to cut on headcount and costs. To all the staff who are being fired en masse: I hope you sue the bejesus out of these monsters! To those still standing: join a union immediately for your own protection. To all prospective employees: Read ALL the reviews thoroughly and take note that vast majority of the 4/5 star reviews were written by senior management at the higher-ups request, which denotes a serious lack of integrity.

Sage2018-04-27

May 8, 2018Chief People Officer

We are a high-performance company with fast-growth goals. As you mentioned we have recently reorganized our team structure in a few departments to support those goals. Unfortunately, this resulted in some redundancies. However, we have 14k amazing colleagues who are committed to achieving great things as a team. Addressing your concerns, we do not post fake reviews. Just as much as you feel passionately about the rating you gave, there are colleagues who have a different viewpoint and choose to leave positive ratings. Everyone’s voice is important, no matter their perspective, and we would welcome new colleagues to the organization.

"Sage needs to find stability"

I have been working at Sage full-time

Pros

Good benefits and some very loyal colleagues. Good to see Sage software pushing boundaries again

Cons

Sage are no longer passionate about their own people. The have all the right PR and policies but most employees are disallusioned. They claimed to smash silos and then built more. The gap between senior management and the workforce is huge

Sage2018-01-05