Sage Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated 19 May 2020

4.1
Pros
  • "Flexible working provides the best work life balance I have experienced anywhere(in 168 reviews)

• "Great people - Flexibility - Sage Foundation "giving back" - Good benefits package - Fantastic products(in 129 reviews)

Cons
  • "Unpredictable deadlines, fast changing upper management (executive level)(in 63 reviews)

• "This has been done inconspicuously with no official communication from the senior management team(in 43 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"Good place to work and getting better"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Sage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

So my last review of Sage was balanced but quite scathing of the then CEO and his policies. Since then we have a new CEO and importantly we can start to see the effects of this change in management. So I felt it time to write a new review (the old review has been deleted). Sage has a large number of product teams and an IS department that offer a wide variety of languages, platforms and frameworks. This means that even if the technology you want to work in isn't supported by your current team, chances are you'll be able to move at some point to another more suitable team. Common languages include C#, Javascript, Ruby, C++ and Apex. Common platforms include Azure, Salesforce and AWS. Common frameworks include Asp.Net, Ruby on Rails and Node. This is just a selection and there are no doubt many more. Sage encourages movement between teams, but you may need to wait for a spot to become available on another team before you can move. Mentorship is strong, there are a large number of highly skilled developers at Sage, this is of particular benefit if you are still at an early stage in your career as the chances are you will be partnered up with someone with at least 10 years experience. Job progression is encouraged, but don't expect to slide up the scale based on the number of years you have worked for Sage. You need to prove you are really good. The building despite showing its age in places, is still very much up to the job. It has good facilities, canteen, shop, cafe and gym can all be found on-site. Off-site the location is largely in the middle of an ever expanding housing estate, but there are lots of landscaped routes to walk or run around at lunchtime if you want to get out. Parking is good, but can be tricky if you get here after 9.30. Though there is a free public car park a few mins walk away which never fills up. Sage offers volunteer days which are well worth taking. Sage is generally strong on benefits often beating the local competition. Salaries are the norm for the role and the area but are backed up by a good pension, life assurance and health care to mention a few.

Cons

So looking back at my last review I was most strong against the Salesforce strategy enforced by the then CEO. The penny has now dropped in upper management and we have changed course on what I believe was a damaging route. There is still some Salesforce development within Sage, but if it is targeted towards existing Salesforce users then there is no means to suspect that it will not be a success. Many of the other hateful policies have gone, Sage has listened to its staff and it now feels a much better place to work. As a big company Sage still suffers from corporatism and all the baggage that brings. This has plus and minus effects. Pluses are that as a company things are pretty well organised. Cons, sometimes you feel that you are fighting against the machine.

Sage2019-03-21

March 21, 2019VP, Talent Acquisition

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I'm glad that you think Sage is a great place to work and is getting better. Please continue to share your feedback - across all of our channels, we're listening and it really does help us make Sage even better together. Thank you.

"Technology company that's struggling to change with the times"

Former Employee - Software Tester in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at Sage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some great people to work with Opportunity for career development

Cons

Poor salary Outdated technology and practices Politics that hinders change Lots of long standing employees that hinder change due to fear What is said by upper management and enforced by middle management seldon reconciles

Sage2018-02-28

"Bullying, bad management, lack of strategy"

2.0

I have been working at Sage full-time

Pros

Good office at North Park Decent salaries for North East Good Benefits

Cons

Bullying is rife from upper management , especially from senior marketing leaders No strategy or marketing leadership CBC destroying Sage's legacy Global shared services team making things worse

Sage2017-01-24

January 30, 2017Group Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for sharing your experiences so far while working at Sage. Having an outward focus is tremendously important for Sage to win in the market, and it’s an advantage for us that colleagues like you value that and see the necessity of it. We encourage you to share your views with colleagues, your manager, your shared services teams and anyone you work with so that your ideas can help bring about the change that we need at Sage. We hope you will be part of that change but if for any reason you don’t feel empowered to speak up, we would encourage you to take a look at the Code of Conduct which is found on the Sage Academy (it refers to Safecall – it’s free and confidential) or contact your People business partner. Above all, Sage needs to value the visions of change like yours and we will do all we can to make room for them.

"Change and Change"

I have been working at Sage part-time

Pros

Good Brand Good Pay and Benefits Lots of potential

Cons

Back office functions not a priority. Upper management positivity not filtering down to lower levels (yet)

Sage2016-09-30

"Currently going downhill"

2.0

I have been working at Sage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Sage has a good range of benefits including pension, health cover and a rewards site. Sage doesn't have a culture of expecting overtime. Some good initiatives involving raising money for charities and encouraging staff to volunteer.

Cons

Over the last few years the culture has changed to one that ignores the staff, focuses on a few small areas of the business and ends up with most communications from upper management being collections of buzzwords and phrases that don’t make any sense. There is a lot of talk about getting things done quickly and enabling people to do their jobs with a focus on the customer but instead more processes have been added that slow everything down and require upper management to sign off on things that a manager should have control over. There used to be an annual staff survey to find out the current opinion of Sage employees the results were ignored for a couple of years and then this year they haven't bothered to do the survey at all. Because of many of the changes that have taken place staff morale has fallen but the updates from upper management seem to show they either have no idea that this is happening or don’t care. The internal systems for HR and performance reviews keep changing because they keep choosing really bad and unsuitable software.

Sage2016-07-05

"Do not care about support staff. Avoid like the plague."

I have been working at Sage for more than 5 years

Pros

The new office is nice and in a good location. Not much else anymore unfortunately, which is a shame. Cons are the main thing.

Cons

Used to offer in depth training. Now they give you an hour and throw you in the deep end. Accountants spend a fortune on support packages and they get people who haven't got a clue because of lack of training. They are losing all their best experienced staff because of lack of care of them. People are off sick with stress and leaving in droves. They would rather get rid of staff with 5+ years of experience than offer them training. Upper management clueless.

Sage2016-02-19

"Not a nice place anymore"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at Sage full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great building, good facilities onsite. Still has a lot of employees who are genuinely knowledgeable and want to do their best for the customer.

Cons

Has gone rapidly downhill as a place to work over the last few years - more so over the last year - and no sign of improvement. The current CEO is hideously out of touch with anything happening at a local level. Unreachable targets, no effort to keep committed and experienced people. Full of buzzwords and enforced positivity with blinkered upper management and morale getting lower by the day.

Sage2016-01-09

"Entirely dependent on your manager"

Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Sage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Sage has a great PTO policy where you receive over 3 weeks of combined sick/vacation time which you can use as you see fit. Additionally, the Sage Foundation program allows you to directly work with charities while Sage covers your wages for up to 40 hours a year. The new CEO is definitely doing right by all employees and taking the company in a positive direction. The previous CEO strangled the company and lead to lots of people leaving and was terrible for morale, so this has been a much-needed and welcome adjustment. There is room for advancement at Sage, at least at the Beaverton location. Almost everyone at a management level has been internally promoted, while trainers, some sales representatives, some of the developers, and the R&D team featuring many former analysts. There is a lot of room to grow internally and advance. Coworkers here go above and beyond to assist each other on projects and when we get the chance to collaborate with each other, it's one of the highlights of the job. A few of the managers here are lovely both as bosses and as people, who go above and beyond to try and do right by the workers and by the employees. Mine in particular is an absolute angel and has gone above and beyond to make my experience working at Sage a positive one, including going outside of her standard job description to assist when other people in the company drop the ball. She has often helped mitigate the cons of the company which I'll be talking about. The in-office facility is pretty spacious overall, there are no issues regarding improper maintenance.

Cons

The work can be emotionally exhausting if customers are frustrated and directing that frustration at you. The company is switching to a SaaS model which is disappointing. Sales leads are a metric everyone in support is tracked on, and you're required to have a 7% lead ratio. When being hired, this was not disclosed as a goal we'd need to focus on achieving. It's generally not difficult to get to this while also not actively trying to upsell to customers, as new customers often need training or call directly in to make purchases. However, with COVID, management has been harping more and more on selling add ons, licenses, and services to our customers. This is incredibly uncomfortable, as people often discuss with us now how COVID-19 has negatively impacted their business or their personal lives, and attempting to sell them something following that is something I feel is inappropriate when they just need technical support. The onboarding process is rough - contractors are brought in in groups of 20+ and in training they try to cram as much knowledge as possible to get you ready for peak season after about a month of experience, which generally leaves less than 10 by the time peak season is finished. By the next hiring season, there's generally 3 to 5 people left per class. Additionally, when hired on full time as a contractor, a lot of the "guarantees" like an established employee who would help show you the ropes or orientation either don't happen or are very delayed. My new hire orientation occurred almost four months after I was hired, which is controlled by someone in a different office that I can't reach out to - my manager tried to have this happen sooner, and constantly had to go out of her way to show me how the company handles PTO, timesheets, 401k info, etc even though this orientation team is supposed to do all of that.  Announcements on policy changes seemingly are not conveyed efficiently to management or by management to their team, as we've often learned when discussing said new policy changes over lunch or in the break room. It generally takes employees discussing with management how each team has interpreted this differently/some teams totally disregarding new policy changes for the first few weeks of the change being made. Some managers are incredibly hands off, to the point of delegating their responsibilities to their staff. One manager in particular has one of his team members conduct one-on-one meetings when this employee does not have a senior role, while another has consistently dropped "additional" responsibilities like managing sales lead counts to the rest of management.  There is no on-campus HR representative, so we're expected to report HR-related issues to our immediate manager, which leads into my biggest drawback with the company... I've witnessed are multiple instances of sexual harassment from male colleagues directed to female colleagues. One of the managers defended the harasser by saying "he's from a different era" after inappropriate touching and lewd comments. The behavior continued after he was asked to stop, and his manager who defended him tried to ask people to stop discussing the harassment in the workplace. The harasser was eventually let go after multiple people went to other managers and to upper management, but it was a very frustrating thing to see as people felt uncomfortable for months as nothing was done about it. Additionally, the contractor manager often touched women on their shoulders or backs and was asked to stop numerous times before he was reprimanded by management, but then the behavior continued for months afterwards.

Sage2020-05-19

May 28, 2020Global Talent Brand Manager

Customer facing roles in any industry can be emotionally exhausting especially when you care as much as it sounds like you care. So we really appreciate your hard work in taking care of our customers and our customers’ success. I am happy to hear that you see the positive direction of our company under the leadership of our CEO Steve Hare as well as that of your immediate manager, because it is important that all levels of management display a consistent level of leading at Sage. It is inspiring to hear of the internal career advancement opportunities you see because colleague success is a strategic focus for us as an organization. I am, however, very concerned about your comment about sexual harassment not being taken seriously because this behavior is unacceptable and will not be tolerated and ask that you contact me directly at careers@sage.com.

"Don't work here. You deserve better."

Former Contractor - Software Analyst in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Sage for less than a year

Pros

Half the software analysts are fantastic and will help you at the drop of a dime and even push you to learn something new and even brainstorm new ways of fixing issues that arise with customers. Half the vetted staff are equally just as awesome and helpful. Both of these groups have some real genuine and compassionate individuals that will openly share tips/tricks to help you succeed in your support role. The trainers for training are wonderful folks as well. The 3 trainers were incredibly helpful and tried their best to make sure everyone was on the same level and passed. They are willing to work with you and make sure you succeed. I have nothing bad to say about them as people There are maybe 2 managers at this location that are actual humans and have your back and will make sure you get the proper information.

Cons

Training is long and arduous using outdated methods. If you miss one day of training, regardless whatever issue that may be, you are terminated(This is out of the trainers hands and not up to them). If you manage to pass the training, be prepared to use half of it on the floor. Staffing agency handles the hiring and treats the contractors as disposable tools. The rep they have, was in charge of hiring contractors as well as firing them. This individual has numerous complaints against him for inappropriate comments towards female staff, including sexual harassment. Management swept any complaints against him under the rug for months. Only way for complaints to get noticed is to reach out the people above the managers which you'll be disciplined for anyway. If you're female, prepare to be as uncomfortable as possible when dealing with him. The company refuses to do anything about it, no matter what they say. If you're male, be prepared for him to talk down to you and treat you with as minimum respect as possible, unless its for disciplinary reasons, then he will put all his energy into making sure you're fired. Because of this individual and how they has neglected to do anything about it as well, I make sure to inform any friend or family who are looking for staffing agencies to avoid their staffing services at all cost. The upper management does not care much for you as a person. They feign that they care about you outside of work and only really care about your numbers and sales. If you're looking for a support position here, be prepared to be doing sales pitches to folks who are already spending a outrageous amount of money on outdated buggy software that you end up having to fix or explain that the recent update broke all their info and they have to wait for the next patch. If you are struggling in any area, be prepared for management to take time out of their day to sit there and listen to your calls and bring you into their office to nitpick it to pieces. They will form a poor image of a training plan with you with no real substance to it and expect perfection the second you leave their office. Even if you adhere to their impossibly high standards, you'll end up in their office for nitpicking. They don't care about you, they care about numbers so they get a bonus. They told us to write good reviews for the company as they were low. Take that how you will. Management and the company as a whole does not deserve any good review. The low level employees however deserve a livable wage without the gender discrimination. Also if you identify as anything other than male and female and look like the other gender, good luck. Management won't get your pronouns right no matter what. They don't care.

Sage2020-05-16

June 1, 2020Global Talent Brand Manager

As a former contractor, it sounds as if you did not have a good experience and for that I am sorry to hear. We strive to ensure that the experience for our colleagues and contractors are the best that we can possibly make it and because of that some of the things you mentioned are particularly disturbing due to our zero tolerance for them and the value and behaviors we expect of our colleagues.

10. "Not bad but could improve"

4.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Sage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good balance of work and life, professional environment, good people

Cons

Unpredictable deadlines, fast changing upper management (executive level)

Sage2020-04-20