Saia LTL Freight Employee Reviews about "long hours"

Updated Sep 11, 2018

Found 15 of over 524 reviews

3.3
Saia LTL Freight Chief Executive Officer Rick ODell (no image)
Rick ODell
Pros
  • "The pay is good but that’s only because of overtime(in 73 reviews)

• "Excellent pay and benefits, health insurance premiums free after 10 years(in 35 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Upper management doesn’t communicate well(in 16 reviews)

• "The long hours did not match the pay(in 15 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "long hours"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great company that doesn't treat you like just a number!

Sep 11, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Inexpensive Insurance. Competitive pay scales. And home daily/nightly.

Cons

Long hours occasionally, and overtime at 45 hours.

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Linehaul Dispatcher

Jun 7, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great money and good coworkers. Good insurance and benefits.

Cons

Long hours and no time off. Very poor work life balance.

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Challenging - not for everybody

May 5, 2018 - Operations Supervisor in Ellenwood, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Grateful they me the opportunity. Benefits were good. Close to my house. The team was very united, which made the job easy. Pretty good as far as technology.

Cons

The long hours did not match the pay. I was hired for a 10 and a half hr shift, really worked 10 to 13hrs. We were also asked to work every other Sunday without monetary compensation. You only had loaders/stackers sometimes which I find unacceptable. Ran out of equipment constantly.

6 people found this review helpful
    4. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Way to stress ful

Nov 5, 2017 - Biller in Johns Creek, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

A pretty good starting wage,that goes up automatically for the first 18monthz. ,good health insurance ,and thats all i can think of honestly

Cons

Stress,revolving door of employees, constant fear of being fired. Very long hours of just sitting cause u cant get up

5 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Honest work with good pay

Aug 9, 2017 - Dock Worker, Driver
      Business Outlook

Pros

The work was generally interesting. Going to new places performing new and often very challenging maneuvers to hit docks throughout the city kept work interesting. Fast pace work environment to get deliveries off in appointment windows and freight pickups before closing times. Management treated me very well, although other drivers and warehouse workers didn't feel the same. I personally had great opportunities to move up. Started as a forklift driver then dock lead position, then went on to dock to driver Trainee and then PUD driver. I wouldn't be sure where to go from the driver position though. And I couldn't imagine myself doing that alone for the rest of my life. You really have to be prepared to do anything to make deliveries. Hand unloading freight when liftgates are always in short supply got you up and working hard! Raises are very consistent and generous.

Cons

Limited opportunity to use vacation, long hours, inconsistent routes and frequent driving in extremely tight areas make work stressful. Addition of interior facing cameras in trucks and micromanagement of even the safest drivers was the real downfall to me. Constantly being pulled aside and critiqued for small driving errors was really bothersome. Saw a lot of people lose jobs over videos. For me I just knew I would rather leave on my own terms. Warehouse was typical for the industry, freight was often loaded poorly, not secured, damaged, or in an order that wasn't as efficent to run. Last delivery is often on the tail, first is often in the nose. Managing appointment windows can be difficult with poor loading practices. Some of the warehouse equipment was really junky. A lot of it was honestly unsafe and I often wondered how in this day and age a company can get away with a fleet of forklifts that have malfunctioning brakes, no lights, no working horns, often broken seatbelts and no functioning parking brakes can continually stay out of OSHAs view.

13 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

STAY AWAY !

Jul 1, 2017 - City Driver in San Leandro, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benifits , pay , bottled water , good hand soap.

Cons

Long hours 12-14 hours, must eat dinner in truck , freight all mixed up & damaged , manager don't care . Dangerous deliveries to Residential areas . Running all over the Bay Area when routes can be more organized. Jumping from one side of the bay to the other . So many deliveries the customers are closed by the time I get there , then when we finally get there they are so MAD , drive cams no privacy, getting pulled into office all the time is crazy because they say I'm following too close , ive had no accidents in almost 3 decades .

7 people found this review helpful
    7. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Dock Supervisor

Apr 1, 2017 - Dock Supervisor in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay, Bonus, Overtime, and friends

Cons

Work long hours, no family time

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Warehouse supervisor

Oct 3, 2016 - Warehouse Supervisor in Johns Creek, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay and excellent benefits especially if you are employed for over 10 years.

Cons

Sometimes long hours on salary. Wasn't able to take vacation. Short handed.

Saia LTL Freight Response

Saia LTL Freight

Thank you for review. We are pleased to hear you were happy with your pay and benefits during your time here. We pride ourselves on our best-in-class benefits. In regards to your comments about the long hours and vacation, we will pass that information to our Human Resources team so they can be made aware.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Operations Supervisor

Jun 29, 2016 - Operations Supervisor in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company to sat at long term.

Cons

Work life balance and get crazy with long hours.

2 people found this review helpful
    10. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Linehaul

Apr 25, 2016 - Linehaul Driver
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay, good benefits. If you stick around long enough, you will get an assigned run. Weekly pay. 401k 50 percent match up to 6 percent.

Cons

Be prepared to work very long hours, have very little home time, you are just a number, management does not and will not have your back, they are too busy looking over their own shoulder. They have zero loyalty to long time employees, and they play favorites. I would look into working anywhere but here unless you are Out of options. Most of the guys I know that are still there hate it, but feel trapped do to pay and a daytime Linehaul run. They are also installing cameras inside the cab to watch what the driver is doing.

5 people found this review helpful