Saipem Employee Reviews about "italian"

Updated 29 Jun 2020

3.9
Saipem CEO Stefano Cao
Stefano Cao
Pros
  • "pleasant work environment with enthusiastic, motivated and international colleagues(in 33 reviews)

• "Good salary and vessels were well looked after(in 24 reviews)

Reviews about "italian"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Lovely people but too process focused"

Former Employee - Procurement in London, England

I worked at Saipem full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good office location next to station Lots of policies so no ambiguity Busy work

Cons

Hierarchical and male dominated No parking Can have language issues with Italian HO

Continue reading

"OK if your face fits or you're Italian"

1.0
    Current Employee - Buyer in Aberdeen, Scotland

I have been working at Saipem full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Most people are nice. Money is ok if you got in at the right time. Soe training recently after 5+ years of employment

Cons

OK if your face fits or you're Italian. Lack of training, and processes and procedures implemented by corporate without proper rollout

"The Italian is King!"

I have been working at Saipem full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good company for developing young engineers. Salary is fair in comparison to Saipem's competitors Pension scheme is quite good. Company pays a few percent extra if the employee puts in a certain amount of money. Flexi Friday, as long as you work your contracted hours, employees can finish by 1pm on Fridays!!

Cons

The Italian is king! They have more opportunities to work in various Saipem locations worldwide and seemingly more opportunities to progress to the "upper echelons"...... My first 4years felt like someone pressed "pause" on my career. However the recent downturn of the oil and gas market brought about the unavoidable "right-sizing" and I've seen my work load diversify and increase which has greatly increased my experience and confidence. No maternity package!!!! Shocking for a company of this size and apparent "repute".

"Large multinational"

Buyer in London, England

I worked at Saipem

Pros

Large projects and a lot of work. Good benefits overall.

Cons

Management is very concentrated in Italy. In the UK they bring basically all managers from Italy and the feeling is that you need to be Italian to get a supervisory role.

Continue reading

"Who you know, not what you know!"

1.0

I worked at Saipem full-time

Pros

Some opportunity to work offshore. Interesting projects to work on. That's about it. I know so many people that have been screwed over by this company it's unbelievable.

Cons

Either you're in with the right people, or you're out the door (being Italian certainly helps you to be in with the right people!). Current state of industry has led them to make a number of redundancies. The selection process for this has nothing to do with your ability, it's all about who you know. Minimal opportunity for career progression unless you get lucky enough to work on the right project at the right time. Absolutely no benefits to working as staff rather than a contractor.

Continue reading

"Italians No.1, British No.2 and then the rest of the pack."

Former Employee - Project Engineer in London, England

I worked at Saipem full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good for young engineers with little or no experience in oil industry. Lots of exposure early on, but this is where it ends.

Cons

No career prospects in long run, if your not Italian or British (in UK office). Chaotic organisation not for everyone, but for most flexible and resourceful people. Poor managers, not interested in development of young engineers. HR very poor. Making a lot of simple mistakes, slow, unresponsive, and very unprofessional.

Continue reading

"A good place to work, but..."

Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England

I have been working at Saipem full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

If you have talent and ambition, most of the management in London will back you and give you good opportunities. If you prove yourself you can gain responsibility quickly.

Cons

The company as a whole is experiencing the sector slow down, and seem to be overly protective of the Italian parts of the company, to the detriment of other places.

8. "assure purcheased E&I Equipment/system meet project spectificication"

4.0
    Former Contractor - QC Engineer

I worked at Saipem

Pros

good salary,systematic,flexible time, team mate,multi ethnic

Cons

no yearly increment salary, no professional performance evaluation,no development skill, italian superiority,

9. "Abusive Behavior"

Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Saipem full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The benefits of working for them, including the rotation periods.

Cons

If you are not an Italian or at least European you are treated like you are worthless.

10. "Great Job Security, Less Growth for Asians, Less Pay, International Exposure"

4.0
    Former Employee - ASSET MAINTENANCE ENGINEER - MAINTENANCE ENGINEERING in Sharjah

I worked at Saipem full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. Job Security 2. Great Learning in Offshore Pipe-laying Business 3. International Exposure 4. Brand/Reputation

Cons

1. Less Opportunity 2. Limited Growth for Asian 3. Italian Control (Mostly Managers are from Italian) 4. Pay is Less compare to other similar industry 5. Less and Limited Work exposure.

Found 51 reviews