Sammons Financial Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Sammons Financial Group CEO Esfand Dinshaw
Esfand Dinshaw

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Although not a negative, employees are expected to be self-motivated and high-performing, so the company might not be the best fit for some individuals (in 3 reviews)

• No work/life balance, all they care about is overtime and could careless if you spent any time with your family (in 2 reviews)

1. "Lifer at SFG!"

Current Employee - Director of Strategic Projects in Fargo, ND (US)
    Current Employee - Director of Strategic Projects in Fargo, ND (US)

I have been working at Sammons Financial Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started working for SFG over 7 years ago and it is one of the best decisions I have ever made. The culture that exists within the organization is unmatched by most, and is rated in the top percentile for culture when compared to similar type organizations. Developing people and creating an open and honest work environment are what I enjoy the most. SFG is an ESOP organization with spectacular growth over the last 15 years. I would recommend working for this company which I have called my work home for so many years to anyone!

Cons

The cons that I have experienced are minimal and normal for any large organization.

2. "CE Consultant Trainee"

Current Employee - CE Consultant Trainee in Sioux Falls, SD (US)
    Current Employee - CE Consultant Trainee in Sioux Falls, SD (US)

I have been working at Sammons Financial Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very welcoming and always happy to help if you have any questions or are confused about something.

Cons

The office area is very quiet.

3. "Strong Company with a Great Culture"

Current Employee - Vice President in West Des Moines, IA (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President in West Des Moines, IA (US)

I have been working at Sammons Financial Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

SFG is probably the biggest life insurance (Top 10) and annuity (Top 5) company nobody has heard of. But the culture is that of a small company. The work environment is friendly and welcoming. Employees organize recreational, fitness, and charitable events that really build a sense of community. The company offers solid benefits, including a generous retirement contribution through the employee stock ownership plan (ESOP). All employees participate in a merit-based incentive bonus program tied both to individual and company performance. The company emphasizes doing business the right way, through strong corporate values. The company also supports the community by providing significant charitable contributions as well as providing employees paid time off for volunteer work and opportunities for company-sponsored volunteer projects. And having Friday afternoons off every week is kind of the cherry on top!

Cons

Although not a negative, employees are expected to be self-motivated and high-performing, so the company might not be the best fit for some individuals.

Advice to Management

Senior management is generally accessible and transparent, with good corporate communication. The company's strong financial success speaks to the strength of the company's leadership and culture.

5. "Entering my 18th year with this amazing company!"

Current Employee - Manager, Marketing Operations Projects in Des Moines, IA (US)

I have been working at Sammons Financial Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A company that values work-life balance and closes at 12:30pm on Fridays. The culture is very positive and giving back to the community is both supported and encouraged. The benefits package is top tier and includes a very lucrative ESOP.

Cons

I really have no cons, but this is a very fast paced, high performing environment which might not be the best fit for everyone.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on culture and work-life balance!

Sammons Financial Group Response

13 Oct 2017 – Senior HR Specialist

Thank you for providing your feedback! And thank you so much for your loyalty over the years! Culture and work-life balance will continue to be front of mind for SFG even as we grow and develop. We... More

6. "Great company with benefits and emphasis on work life balance."

I have been working at Sammons Financial Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has great benefits, and an amazing culture. Work life balance is very important. Monday- Thursday you work a little longer so that you can leave at 12:30 on Fridays!

Cons

It is not always easy to see where you can go with your career in a specific department. You will have to move around if you wish to grow.

7. "Sammons Review"

Current Employee - Director in West Des Moines, IA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in West Des Moines, IA (US)

I have been working at Sammons Financial Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working at Sammons is challenging and rewarding. The culture is top notch and giving back to the community is encouraged and supported. The rich benefit program is a plus and the ESOP is like nowhere else. It is overall a great place to work.

Cons

If you don't like to work hard to get results, this is not a place for you. The company does well due to the high performers it employs. There is very little bad to say about the company.

Advice to Management

Keep the lines of communication open and forthcoming. The better informed people are the more they are willing to work towards a common goal.

Sammons Financial Group Response

22 Sep 2017 – Senior HR Specialist

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide a review! At SFG we make a very conscious effort to put culture, community, and communication all at the top of the priority list. We greatly... More

8. "Making Lives Better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD (US)

I have been working at Sammons Financial Group full-time

Pros

SFG is the only place where I have worked that asks for feedback and then responds with specific initiatives to make improvements. Our benefit package is top-notch. The Employee Stock Ownership Plan alone is terrific! It is the first place I have worked where I have been given the tools to succeed. I have grown the most here than I have with any past employer.

Cons

Sometimes employees are promoted based on their years of service rather than their skill set - preventing more qualified people from advancing or preventing ideal candidates from being hired. However, this has occurred every place I have ever worked; it must be the American way.

Advice to Management

Continue to ask for feedback. I appreciate the way you act on feedback provided.

9. "An Amazing Company!"

Current Employee - Manager in Des Moines, IA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Des Moines, IA (US)

I have been working at Sammons Financial Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best reasons to work for SFG are the benefits, employees, culture and ESOP! Oh, and only working half a day on Fridays!

Cons

Honestly, nothing to share here!

10. "Sammons"

I worked at Sammons Financial Group full-time

Pros

Great benefits and ESOP plan

Cons

Communication BAD and decision making at senior level questionable

11. "Truly Making Lives Better"

Current Employee - Actuarial Student in West Des Moines, IA (US)
    Current Employee - Actuarial Student in West Des Moines, IA (US)

I have been working at Sammons Financial Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment where people actually live out the core values. ESOP is a great feature. Great onboarding program for new hires. Non traditional work week is great if you travel on the weekends.

Cons

ESOP's downside potential is risky. Upside potential complemented with the recent growth and positive outlook outweigh this for now.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Continue to recruit great talent.