Savers Health and Beauty Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.1
Savers Health and Beauty CEO Doug Winchester
Doug Winchester
Pros
Cons
  • "area managers don't give a crap(in 10 reviews)

• "I can not think of any bad things to say about savers all I know is that if there is a situation I know it will be sorted straight away(in 10 reviews)

1. "Hard work but a great team makes it easier"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in York, England

I worked at Savers Health and Beauty part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Often have a brilliant team Above minimum wage Potential to earn rewards Company christmas nights out

Cons

Active selling can be hard work due to the type of products/customers incredibly difficult to be entered into SAS rewards (low incentives for SAS)

Savers Health and Beauty2019-09-01
  2. "Mixed reviews"

Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Savers Health and Beauty part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Superdrug discount Loyal customers Fun Marie curie events

Cons

Long hrs Short staffed Non existent air con for staff and customers

Savers Health and Beauty2019-08-29
  3. "Not a place for outsiders"

Former Employee - Store Manager in London, England

I worked at Savers Health and Beauty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Staff are pleasant though unreliable. Store is mostly busy at all times. Supportive management team. Experienced management are beneficial . Very few knowledgeable team members. Being able to complete stock taking tasks on a handheld system.

Cons

Unorganized deliveries. Constant restrictions on hours. Too many tasks make it difficult to maintain shop floor standards. No item location system in place. No specified training for outside management. Relaxed approach from company when disciplining those that are late or absent. Little ambition from majority of team. Back office system is almost unmanageable. No warehouse organisation system in place.... Internal theft is rife. Management will attempt to change your working pattern last minute unless confronted directly. The attempts to keep the store looking immaculate with low staff numbers. Terrible clocking in/out system. No discounts for staff in store.

Advice to Management

Investment in your store teams will pay out long term. If you're hiring management outside the company, having a training system in place would work well to integrate them into the company and build a relationship that they wouldn't want to break. Stop placing the focus on KPI performance in stores and look at their actual year on year growth for progress.

Savers Health and Beauty2019-08-25
  4. "AVOID AT ALL COSTS!"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at Savers Health and Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

Quitting was the only pro thing about this place.

Cons

Absolutely everything. When I started it was okay for the first month then I started to get terribly bullied by management. Everyday I would be spoke down to like trash. Told I wasn’t doing enough SAS. Mind you the stuff we had to sell it’s obvious no ones going to buy them. On some days I would do really well and told I would get a letter of recognition. Never did. They had supervisors younger than me not having a... clue how to handle anything or do anything. I was made to sweep and mop the full shop on my own every shift. If I did not do it in 10 minutes I would get a mouthful before leaving. I was coming home in tears. That depressed I had to switch the store I was at. Thinking it might have just been that one. Nope. It got even worse when I moved. I was bullied to the point of quitting my job. I reported them to HR but nothing was done. Absolutely awful place to work. Unless you want to feel useless. Like garbage and be bullied. Then this is perfect for you. The pay is awful and they make you work over time unpaid. They get angry when you need a holiday. Just stay away! If I could rate 0 stars I would!

Advice to Management

No disrespect for staff or customers. Management would often stick her fingers up to customers once they turned there back and left the store. I was disgusted as she was a grown woman acting 10. Managers are extremely lazy. Do not clean up after themselves. Expect the younger staff to manage everything. Speak down to everyone and bully. I seen 5 people join and leave by the time I was there. I was only there for one... year. What does that say about this disgusting company. Ridiculous!

Savers Health and Beauty2019-09-11
  5. "Friendly, Relaxed, Stressful."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Bolton, England

I have been working at Savers Health and Beauty full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-> Very friendly teams -> Very relaxed environment -> Management are easy going and actually listen to their teams. -> Great support network. -> Easy access to lots of support, help and advice. -> All managers, area managers and head office have an open door policy, you're free to speak to any for advice given its appropriate.

Cons

-> Extremely long hours during busy periods, stock takes, Christmas -> Being salaried means you can work 50-60 hours and only be paid for 39. -> Deliveries always have problems, usually leading to massive stressful weeks and area managers getting annoyed and expecting more and more out of you. -> Times of extreme stress and pressure.

Advice to Management

Store Management are fine. Area managers need to understand sometimes their managers need help without asking for it, during times of massive stress it would be nice to have a lending hand, or actually spend a few more hours to get stuff done instead of expecting store management to pull 12 hour shifts every day.

Savers Health and Beauty2019-08-06
  6. "Savers health and beauty"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at Savers Health and Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing company, great people, Amazing opportunities

Cons

Busy job, selling is a priority, got to be able to speak to customers

Savers Health and Beauty2019-08-05
  7. "Training????"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Savers Health and Beauty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Ok pay for alot of hours.

Cons

Very little training then expected to run a store as manager within 2 weeks of joining. Area manager no attempt to ask how I'm doing . Store Manager runs store like a Sargent Major. No input on rotas etc.awful comments and bullying!

Advice to Management

Open you eyes. Provide good training for Management. Area Manager check your new starters are happy. Ask if they need help? Not being bullied and marshalled like they are in the army

Savers Health and Beauty2019-08-15
  8. "Not the worst, not the best"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at Savers Health and Beauty part-time

Pros

- Good hours, management tend to be flexible - Discount at Superdrug

Cons

- Low pay - No instore discount - Often understaffed, company seems to cut corners to offer low prices on products by not hiring enough staff in each store which results in staff having to complete tasks faster to get everything finished in time or staying past their shift

Savers Health and Beauty2019-07-22
  9. "AVOID!!!"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Manchester, England

I worked at Savers Health and Beauty full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The amazing sales assistants you get to work with

Cons

Store managers and assistant store manager jobs advertised as 39hrs a week. Total rubbish!! You are allocated a total number of working hours a week to your store that has to be divided up between your sales assistants, but that number is usually so low that the only way to run your store is do 60+ yourself, on a permanent basis. If your lucky you might get enough time to eat lunch, but in over 3 years working for... the company I never once had anywhere near a full lunch break. If you complain you are spoken down to and told you are not managing your time effectively, yet they cannot come up with a solution when you present them with evidence of rota's etc. You are encouraged to join the Job Center trainee scheme to get 'extra staff for free' which is NOT what the scheme was set up for. Daily bullying over the SAS (upselling at the till). Never any positive recognition. They mislead employees into leaving positive reviews on various websites to counteract all the bad reviews. Favouritsm and bullying is rife with many of the area managers, but I must point out that if you are lucky you will come across the exception to the rule, but as the area mangers change the areas they oversee every 6 months or so it never lasts long. This company have some amazing people working for them, but they are under-appreciated, demoralised, and generally treated pretty badly.

Advice to Management

You need to increase your weekly allocation of hours to stores dramatically. Review how you monitor SAS sales and perhaps send positive rather than the constant negative feedback. Yes you do have some employee's that give you positive feedback, but having worked in, and helped out in a number of your stores over the three years, I would say that from Assistant Store Manger level and upwards, overall your employees... are far from happy working for you.

Savers Health and Beauty2019-08-23
  10. "Fun, but hard work"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Watford, East of England, England

I have been working at Savers Health and Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good team Career progression Good breaks Busy Meeting people

Cons

Not enough contracted hours To much work load to how many staff Lack of security (dealing with shop lifters)

Advice to Management

Shops need more staff in at one time to get tasks done not just 3 to 2 staff. Which can add to shrinkage as there not staff on the shoo floor if all serving in tills.

Savers Health and Beauty2019-07-31