Scott Logic Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Gary Scott

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Excellent company"

I have been working at Scott Logic full-time

Pros

Scott Logic is an amazing company; every software developer should aspire to work here!

There is a friendly culture, supportive colleagues, an atmosphere of learning, helpful management and interesting projects. Their internal training is excellent, and everyone is encouraged to keep on learning and developing in their career. The opportunities to get involved with tech talks and the company blog are great too. In addition to all that, we hardly ever work overtime and thus I have a great work-life balance.

Cons

Almost none. Some people may not like remote working (we consult for clients all over the UK and overseas) or occasionally travelling to clients, but most people enjoy that.

Advice to Management

Keep on encouraging your employees to succeed and develop in their careers.

"Niche company. Seems to be big enough to cope, small enough to care but you wouldnt always be able to tell..."

Current Employee - Developer in London, England
    Current Employee - Developer in London, England

I have been working at Scott Logic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the (usually less dev/tech people) are caring and value you as a person as as well as what you bring to the company from a skills & experience POV. Salaries are usually at market or slightly above. London office is nice but not overly inclusive if you arent in the right clique. Is super tech-heavy from an experience POV as that is still our real bread & butter, despite the presence of many other typical digital consultancy business units

Cons

Many Dev-types look down their nose at you if you arent "one of them" and they most all talk a lot of TLA's / Dev / Tech-specific jargon in a way to outbid or out-experience each other. Its like a "who can pee up the wall highest" competition - which in of itself is not a consultancy skill but is the type of odd metric you are judged by. Gary (the owner) does come by but always seems to wear a "dont talk to me" look. He does remember people's names though but is almost mute all other times

Advice to Management

This is true of many (but not all) companies I have worked with. 1) Share more about how the company is doing with your employees. We never get told about profits made, contract values, whether we are doing so well or barely scraping by. Did we get booted off a gig or did they just renew for another 12 months. If you think that kind of stuff being shared may make people leave or give individuals ammunition for a better pay rise, then those people didnt believe in the company anyways & need to be let go 2) Any social events seem to be thought of & implemented by un-nominated individuals. Ask the relevant community to help plan things to make them way less cloak & dagger - its a party, not a reconnaissance mission behind a foreign power's troop lines created on a need-to-know basis. 3) Most of the social events I have attended have been mediocre at best. They tend to be "drink beer in a pub"-based, which is not a preference for a lot of people but especially women in the office, and it shows a distinct lack of imagination & flair. Non-associated individual events organised by others have been amazing (e.g. a salsa dancing night with dance-inspriring cocktails + other fun outings) 4. Cost-of-living pay rises seem to be non-existent. The cost of living IS GOING UP *every* month and my salary is staying still. 5. Also, there seems to be no scope for individuals to negotiate their own rises beyond that which (may?) accrue via any COL rise 6. No-one is managing the day-today ins and outs of the London office by the looks of it. We have many "heads of department" present but someone needs to be in charge of running the office & dictating policy rather than the usually myopic and often self-aggrandizing opinions of senior individuals dressed up to look like company policy

16 Nov 2018 – General Manager

Thank you for your detailed review of Scott Logic and our London office. As you will be aware we have grown significantly in London in the last year and this achievement has been made possible by all... More

3. "software developer"

I worked at Scott Logic full-time

Pros

working with latest technologies
    very good environment

Cons

no bonus
    40 hours per week

"Open culture - great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Lead in London, England
    Current Employee - Lead in London, England

I have been working at Scott Logic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are numerous. Listing the top few that come to mind immediately
    My colleagues are some of the brightest minds I've worked with! Very technically inclined, and wanting to be current with the industry/technology they prefer. Being a tool/coding language agnostic company means you can still enhance your knowledge of your favourite tool/language while learning new ones.
    The technical blog is very good.
    The whole company is geared for collaboration - be it from building/delivering software to actually delivering a process to be used internally by the staff!
    The senior management is absolutely open to ideas, and everyone (including the CEO) is so approachable.

Cons

This can swing around - so you may have to learn a new technology or tool quite quickly, and will get help.
    Being on client site does mean travel - but this also depends on your ability to win the client and negotiate a work pattern that suits your work-life balance.
    There could be more benefits/bonus based on employee/company performance.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing - I think this company has great potential!

"Great Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Test Engineer in London, England
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Scott Logic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you get to work with every day are great. The company is full of smart, interesting individuals who you can not only enjoy working with but learn from. The culture and atmosphere is really good. The company work hard to ensure there are regular events/socials so that even those on client site get regular interaction with everyone. Everyone is here to collaborate and everyone has a voice. A lot of growing companies sell you the fact it's an exciting time to join etc. but at SL you actually get to be a part of that growth and people want to hear what you have to say. There are regular techie brekkies and knowledge shares. I have already learned a lot since I joined. Overall a really great company to work for.

Cons

This is advice rather than a con: as a consultancy you are exposed to new tech and tools all the time, so you need to be someone who loves to learn and is proactive in doing so. And also someone who loves to mentor/share their knowledge with others.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Maintain the focus on employees as the company continues to grow. Never lose the fantastic culture that we have here at SL.

"Challenging, Stimulating Work"

Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at Scott Logic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Challenging, stimulating problems to solve
    -A great deal of freedom in how one goes about solving those problems
    -Some of the smartest coworkers you'll work with in your career
    -Gary Scott genuinely cares about his employees and the business; he was a treat to work with

Cons

-Autonomy/freedom/flexibility in how projects run isn't for everyone
    -While fascinating projects and problems to solve, sometimes the client's tech doesn't afford for the most modern solutions

"Good but not great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Scott Logic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The ability of your colleagues is the main benefit to working here. This is at least true in the Newcastle office where I work.
    Management do seem to care about employee wellbeing. A survey was sent out last year and changes have been made based off of that.
    The company has an excellent technology-driven culture. The vast majority of your colleagues will also be technology enthusiasts.
    The projects the company takes on are more often than not interesting to work on.
    Newcastle office is in a great location.
    Regular lunch and learn sessions are scheduled where you can learn about new technologies from your colleagues.
    Friday bar in the Newcastle office once a month (I think this is done in the other offices too). The company pays for drinks in the office one Friday per month.
    Very good internal tools such as the leave planner which are mostly developed in-house and make things much easier.

Cons

Very long contracted hours. It's a 40 hour week and you're forced to take 30 minutes for lunch (this was previously 1 hour until very recently).
    The core hours at Scott Logic are 9-5. This doesn't offer a huge amount of flexibility in my opinion.
    Home working is very limited. I think you're only allowed 2-3 days a month as an absolute maximum.
    Benefits are basic. (Private healthcare, but with high charges. Scott Logic contributes the statutory minimum employer pension contribution of 3%. The pension scheme also has high charges. No bonus scheme.) The benefits do improve slightly with length of service but other companies often offer better with no length of service requirements.
    Relatively poor hourly rate. The salaries on offer here feel more like 37.5 hour salaries as opposed to 40.
    You must pay all costs for any training you receive (which includes your day rate of pay, any travel costs and of course the training itself) if you leave the company within 12 months which will cost you a very bare minimum of £500. This is an unreasonably long length of time in this industry where staff turnover is relatively high.

16 Feb 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for your review. A recurring theme of the feedback we receive from our employees is the respect they have for their colleagues’ talent and how conducive this is to a positive working... More

"Great people. Showing signs of growing pains"

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Bristol, England

I have been working at Scott Logic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly intelligent people. Relaxed atmosphere. Some nice perks such as ps4 free fruit etc...

Cons

Becoming more like a "big company". Too focused on the bottom line. Needs to be a bit more focused on its employees rather than it's margins

16 Feb 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for your review. At Scott Logic, we know our talented people are our greatest asset, because of feedback we receive from employees.

We’re pleased you enjoy the little perks we offer... More

9. "Great atmosphere and some of the best people"

Current Employee - Lead Developer in London, England
    Current Employee - Lead Developer in London, England

I have been working at Scott Logic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work with some of the smartest people in the industry. Amazing office atmosphere. There is a lot of support for career progression and development. Excellent work-life balance. Company with a bright future and impressive growth. The technical blog is very good.

Cons

This is a consulting company, so you have to work for clients. Project can differ with some being amazing, other not so much.

Advice to Management

Keep the hiring bar high and look for exciting projects. These are what keeps talented people engaged.

16 Feb 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback! It is great to hear that you’re enjoying the office atmosphere in London. We think we have a great bunch of people working for Scott Logic and understand how important... More

10. "Good culture, good people"

I have been working at Scott Logic full-time

Pros

quality people. interesting work. ambitious plans. well run.

Cons

need more people. need more casestudies

Advice to Management

all fine