Search Consultancy Employee Reviews about "commission structure"

Updated Oct 22, 2020

Found 11 of over 290 reviews

3.8
Search Consultancy CEO Richard Vickers
Richard Vickers
Pros
  • "great training programme given by people who really want you to succeed, however half of them have been made redundant now(in 8 reviews)

• "Great support network, team atmosphere, excellent training and structure(in 8 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Shocking level of staff turnover(in 8 reviews)

• "Commission structure overly complex and seeks to protect company more than rd employees(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "commission structure"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Excellent for career progression & development

Aug 29, 2019 - Principal Consultant in Liverpool, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Search Consultancy practices what they preach when they say "people are their business", I remember the CEO saying this to me when I was on my first training course 10 years ago and it has always resonated with me. The company is forward thinking in how they train consultants and how they can reward them outside of a normal commission structure. I think a lot of people appreciate that working for Search means you are working for a dynamic organisation who wants to change with the times and do what they can do be the best.

Cons

This is a sales job (unless you join Search in a support/head office function) so it is hard. You will quite literally get out of it what you put in - the company offers a great support network from managers and training, so if you don't utilise them or are not up for a challenge, then this probably isn't the career for you.

Web Dev

Thanks for your 5* rating - we are delighted to get your amazing feedback!

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

One of the better agencies to work for in town

Oct 22, 2020 - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Manchester City Centre, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

People i worked with were great,

Cons

Long hours, poor management structure, poor commission structure

3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Just fine, not for creatives or academics.

Aug 4, 2020 - Recruitment Consultant in Brighton, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Sociable office life, fun coworkers.

Cons

Commission structure overly complex and seeks to protect company more than rd employees.

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Used to be a great recruitment business, hopefully some day it will be again

Feb 13, 2020 - Divisional Manager in Glasgow, Scotland, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some really good recruiters and managers have worked here however many have left in recent years. The company has a well-crafted training programme which provides solid baseline skills for trainee recruiters however with the sheer vast turnover of employees means they are in many ways an exhausted resource.

Cons

Offices are of low quality, especially in Scotland where there has been a clear lack of real investment. Even basic things like toilet seats are not there which can be degrading for employees. Systems are exceptionally old and poor and not fit for modern day recruitment. This has been ignored by the executive board and has been for many years with a declining effect on commercial capability and productivity in such a competitive market. That aspect is really inexcusable in any recruitment business. A recent change in executive leadership has also lead to a mass exodus of good people leaving, many of which, were strong billing consultants and highly experienced managers with vast industry expertise, networks and positive energy that in some cases left in horrendous ways. Its a shame, as many were the people who built a really good culture there in the first place. The true cost of this will no doubt take time to establish. The commission structure has been created with a level of complexity that even with a company designed webinar to explain it very few still understand it, including the management team. It cannot be explained at interview so new consultants and managers go in blind and in good faith that it will be ok. It simply is not market competitive, but designed to be perceived that it is. It takes new employees quite a long time to figure that out before the penny drops. This is an honest opinion of someone who knows the recruitment industry very well. If you are new to recruitment it can be a great place to start for the training, if you are an established consultant there are far better agencies to work with. It may change in the future but with a company of this size that can take a number of years, hopefully it does.

3 people found this review helpful

Social Media & Events Executive

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. It’s always disappointing to hear negative comments, but I hope my response can provide insight to readers who might be considering a career move. Over the past five years, Search has relocated five of our 15 offices, with moves to brand new locations in Brighton, Inverness, Leicester, Liverpool and Manchester. In Scotland, our West George Street office in Glasgow was refurbished in 2019, and our Central Services departments relocated to a brand new office in 2017. We have also recently opened new offices in London and Birmingham and we have development plans for Edinburgh & Dundee too. As part of the refurbishment programmes, our technology has been refreshed. We are able to provide WIFI across all of our offices and VPN access is available for all staff who require flexibility to work remotely. We embrace new technology and are early adopters of a number of innovative rec tech products that are changing our approach to recruitment and providing our staff with the very best technology to grow their individual businesses and be successful. Where facilities problems arise, they are always addressed at the point where the issue is raised. The comfort and well-being of our employees is always a priority. Following brand new investment in 2017, our business has experienced significant change and restructure, allowing for a more streamlined approach with clearer paths for career progression for those who succeed and perform well. We are proud of our loyal workforce, where 25% of colleagues have worked with us for more than 5 years. It has also been pleasing to see us create development opportunities for some of our high performing, loyal staff. The commission structures require both Managers and Directors to invest time in reading them, ensuring they understand the detail and can then relay it to their teams in ways that are easily adopted by their people. Those who take the time to do this are getting excellent results. I understand for some this requires individuals to take some time out to grasp the detail. Our newly appointed CEO has personally reviewed all of the schemes and believes they are some of the most generous schemes he has come across in the recruitment space. Clearly those Managers who don’t invest the time to understand them or explain it to their teams struggle. The Exec team at Search meets regularly and reviews all feedback both anecdotal and from our quarterly Search Speak internal surveys. We prioritise any points raised and ensure individuals are accountable for updating and communicating action plans to the business as a result. We clearly can’t always provide everything on the wish list and no business is perfect, but we seek to make Search a great place to work in all that we do. I’d welcome the opportunity to chat to you personally about some of the points you’ve raised and provide clarity on the actions we have in place currently. I’m sorry that Search didn’t appear to be the right place for you to develop your career further and wish you all the best for the future. Thank you for your feedback. Debbie Caswell COO

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

No better agency to work for

Jun 14, 2019 - Senior Consultant in Liverpool, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent training, rewarding commission structure, challenging day to day role, the best managerial support available and a positive work environment and culture

Cons

There are no cons in working for Search. The role of a Recruitment Consultant naturally has negatives attached to it but if you are going to work for any agency, you would be hard pushed to find a better agency than Search

Marketing Manager

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave such a great review. We believe that the training and support offered to our consultants at each stage of their career is industry leading and I'm delighted that's been your experience.

6. 4.0
      Former Employee

Find the right team

Feb 5, 2019 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good teams Good commission structure Relaxed office at times Head of FM and Free Lance construction were very motivational during my time

Cons

Management was rude and swore at you when asking questions, fortunately, this person has now left the business. Get the right team within search and it would be an enjoyable experience.

2 people found this review helpful

Marketing Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback on what it's like working at Search, highlighting some great benefits of working here. I'm sorry you also had some negative experiences, although I'm encouraged that the person responsible has since left the business - they don't seem like they would have been a good fit at Search! Thanks also for your advice to management - we've implemented a new starter survey which should hopefully capture some of the great ideas someone new to the business can bring.

7. 2.0

Politics

Aug 17, 2018 - Sales Consultant in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent Year 1 Commission Structure, though it is extremely hard to understand A few Directors are personable and approachable

Cons

The politics particularly around Senior Management Level are obvious to see. This also spreads across regions, individual offices and teams. Not a great place if you're a Technical recruiter, not too bad a place if you're not. Training is good for trainee's but not very useful or flexible for those with some experience. I would go as far as saying it is a waste of time with those with 12 months experience. It seems to be there to feed the Trainers ego's more than anything. CEO very strange man, besties with some, blanks others. Commission structure is extremely confusing, and not even senior management properly understand it. It also punishes the experienced consultants on higher salaries. Management commission structure is very unattractive when compared to others.

2 people found this review helpful

Marketing Strategy & Planning Manager

Hi, Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your experience working with Search. We are sorry to hear you have had a negative experience and always welcome feedback on how we can improve our service for our employees. We are keen to look into the details you have provided further. If you could share further details of your experience with our COO Debbie Caswell, Debbie.Caswell@search.co.uk and we hope to resolve the matters you have raised. Thanks!

8. 3.0

Micro Managed

Feb 27, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent training, smart modern offices, really nice people, good locations, good base salary,

Cons

Commission structure is a nightmare to understand and achieve, micro managed from morning till night, everything is KPI driven without taking into account quality of the calls or jobs taken on or candidates registered, promotion is based solely on fees achieved and doesn't take into account other qualities such as management skills etc, very noisy open plan offices that makes it difficult to concentrate or stay focussed, very complicated IT system that takes forever to get used to, too much cake everywhere. It seems that every day is someone's birthday.

Marketing Delivery Manager

Thank you for taking the time to offer your honest feedback about working at Search. We have taken on board your comments in relation to the commission structure and we'll make sure to look into ways Search can improve our offering to our staff. We still maintain though that we have one of the most generous consultant bonus schemes in the recruitment industry. Open plan offices have been encouraged from our board as it's been shown to improve communication across the various teams and overall efficiency of space and productivity. But if anyone feels that there is too much noise, we encourage them to speak to their manager as every team and desk is different. But we're pleased that you recommended our industry leading training programme which is being consistently praised by current and former employees like yourself. Thanks again for your comments and if there's anything else you would like to discuss, feel free to contact us.

9. 4.0
      Former Employee

Great training

Jan 10, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent training for trainee consultants Good commission in first 12 months

Cons

Commission structure for existing staff needs reviewing- below market rate

Managing Director - England

Thank you for your review and we really appreciate the time you’ve taken to give us your feedback. I have taken on board your comments in relation to our commission scheme. We aim to have one of the most generous consultant bonus schemes in the recruitment industry but equally we’re always looking for ways to improve our offering to help us attract and retain recruitment talent. This is a topic we will revisit in the near future. Thanks again for your kind words on our training programme and get in touch if you would like to receive your feedback in more detail.

10. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Definitely worth considering

Oct 27, 2015 - Senior Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good brand reputation Good culture Good training Genuine career prospects within a growing company Genuinely live their own values

Cons

Commission structure for Perm Consultants changes after 12 months (not sure about Contract Consultants)

Viewing 1 - 10 of 11 Reviews