Secret Escapes Employee Reviews about "free food"

Updated 12 Oct 2020

3.8
Secret Escapes Co-founders Alex Saint and Tom Valentine (no image)
Alex Saint and Tom Valentine
Pros
  • "Free food, free drink and socials(in 13 reviews)

• "You choose the best time to work, good managing, great people to work with(in 7 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Communication between senior management could be better(in 6 reviews)

• "No career progression, get stuck in a rut(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "free food"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A company that values their employees!

8 Nov 2019 - Contracts Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Flexible working, really great company for work/life balance - Caring and supportive managers - Free food in the office, including free lunches, unlimited soft drinks and free alcoholic drinks every Friday - Office culture is laid back with great benefits - yoga, massages, manicures, meditation, discounts - A very hardworking environment which keeps you motivated to succeed but yet not too pressurising - On-boarding process is extremely supportive - you can tell before you even start the company that the business completely values it's employees.

Cons

- Sometimes quite a high workload with lots of admin but hard work is noticed amongst your managers

Talent Administrator

Thanks so much for your kind review! We're so glad you're having a positive experience and feel as though your work is being recognised.

2. 4.0
      Current Employee

Good company with good values but only a few opportunities to grow

2 Oct 2020 - Editorial in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good values Good poeple to work with Good energy, quite motivating Very good team spirit Beautiful office in Holborn with free food, drinks etc Senior management very accessible They encourage to share ideas and take them into account if good

Cons

Only very few opportunities to grow even after years Executive positions stuck at the bottom with no will to make people progress Low salaries comparing to the industry Little travel perks comparing to the industry (20% off on the website for staff and £100 voucher for Christmas)

Continue reading
      2 people found this review helpful

Secret Escapes Response

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us some feedback - it's great to hear that for the most part you're enjoying your time at Secret Escapes!

3. 3.0

Time at se

12 Oct 2020 - Contracts Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free food, free drink and socials

Cons

No progression, limited to role you are in

Secret Escapes Response

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us some feed back - it's great to hear that for the most part, you're enjoying your time at Secret Escapes! Sorry to hear that you've felt limited from a progression perspective though. We absolutely try and promote internal growth and development and hope that, as we continue to grow, these opportunities will present themselves more frequently.

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good and fun

4 Feb 2020 - Marketing Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun, Not boring, Diverse, Free food, Fast paced

Cons

Lots of work, Deadlines, Busy

Talent Administrator

We love getting honest feedback, thanks so much for taking the time to review! It's great to hear you enjoy the office culture! Secret Escapes is growing so it is a fast paced environment, however if your work load is unmanageable please speak to HR & your line manager directly to help.

5. 3.0
      Former Employee

sales exec

13 Jan 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

great working environment great people free food daily booze on fridays

Cons

no career progression low salary bad internal communications cliquey

2 people found this review helpful

Talent Administrator

Thank you for your post and for taking the time to write a glassdoor review about your time at Secret Escapes. We value all comments and will take your views on board. It’s lovely to hear that you enjoy the environment, the perks we have here at Secret Escapes, such as the yummy food in the kitchen and that the people you worked with are great - we think so too! Sorry to hear your comments about a lack of clear career progression, and around salaries – we benchmark our salaries against the market and do salary reviews annually. We also offer a variety of training and coaching sessions and we promoted 45 people internally in the first half of the year alone. Thanks for your comments around internal communications - we are working hard to ensure there is more consistent communications throughout the business, and will be launching our own intranet soon! We also have a new Internal Comms Executive who has joined the business to ensure our communications are frequent and relevant. With regards to your view of a “cliquey” environment, it would be really helpful to understand your experience. We would welcome an anonymous message to HR with anything that you would like to raise to help us consider this in an objective manner. We welcome any further views and we always endeavour to do our best to help our employees succeed and thoroughly enjoy work, so please do get in touch.

6. 4.0

Exciting place to work!

27 Oct 2015 -  in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The office has a great energy, full of bright ambitious people. There is still a fast paced start up culture but it has the security and backing of some big investors like Google. This culture means I get lots of responsibility and autonomy in my role. If you work hard you see the impact and it gets recognised by Senior Management. It's a relaxed environment, I love wearing casual clothes to the office. There's free food and drink in the fridge and wine and beer on a Friday. I also appreciate cake Monday!

Cons

As the business is growing really quickly and recruiting lots of people, we have out grown the office - it's cosy! But we are moving office in January and the plans for the office look cool. There's lots of meeting rooms, a big kitchen, games room and tiki bar work station. There isn't much formal or structured training at the moment, the on the job learning is great, but more training would be good.

Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, this is really valuable feedback. It's great to hear that overall you appear to be enjoying your role and the culture here - and of course the food (Cake Monday is great!). You've already mentioned the amazing plans for the new office and you’re not alone in feeling that it is ‘cosy’ or that this is much needed to continue to build a work environment where we can all thrive. You’re also right about the training, I can reassure that this is being addressed and over the next few months, there will be much more communication about more formalised training along with some other great new initiatives that will help to build on our culture. Thanks again for this valued feedback, please do feel free to come and have a chat if you would like more detail.

7. 3.0
      Current Employee

Overall very nice place to work, but no job progression and poorly managed

3 Sep 2015 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free food and drink. Music is on all day, drinks on a Friday at 5pm, cakes on Monday. Not really many other benefits. Open door policy and easy access to the execs, when/if they're in the office.

Cons

Career progression very limited. Poorly managed, no one seems to know what's happening. Poor communication between departments and even between the execs. Large majority of people work from home, which is not how I would chose to run my business. People need to be at their desk, in the office, if work is to be done. Days go by with no senior management in the office. Again not the best way to run a business. The office is jam packed with people, working conditions are very tight and not ideal.

Continue reading
      5 people found this review helpful

Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post this. While I'm really sorry to see you have a negative outlook and that we don’t appear to be living up to your expectations, I really appreciate your honesty. This response won’t solve the issues you have raised however, I do hope, you will stop by and have a chat with a member of the HR team so we can address your concerns in more detail. We have grown very fast and we could and should have done better with our communications. This is being addressed in a number of ways with all the teams and senior management and I hope you will see and experience the fruits of this work very soon. Unfortunately, due to the exciting fundraising which was pretty time consuming, Alex and Tom needed to be out of the office more often than usual. Not Ideal I know, but, we secured the right investment to help us all achieve the ambitious plans we have. Now it’s quietened down, we will be launching and running regular informal lunch sessions, which all staff will be invited to book a session and get to raise any concerns or just share ideas they may have. We are currently reviewing both the benefits and career progression opportunities and we have some exciting announcements coming soon. Regarding home working, there are some great benefits for lots of staff in our attitude to flexible working. I certainly understand your point and this style of working isn’t for everyone. Clearly we can do more to ensure we’re striking the right work/life balance and in January we hope that people won’t be able to resist coming into our new office where we will have lots more space with additional desks, meeting rooms and a Tiki bar! Thanks again for your time, we really appreciate your honest feedback.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great work environment and lots of responsibility

27 Oct 2015 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Flat organisational structure - Friendly, open and helpful colleagues - Interesting and challenging projects - Early responsibility - Perks (Friday drinks, free food, free drinks, extra holidays) - Management is generally open to new ideas/approaches - Exciting move to a new office in January combining existing two

Cons

- Lack of communication between different offices due to having 2 offices in London - Need for better internal processes to reflect growth of company

5 people found this review helpful

Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, it's great to hear that you are enjoying your role at Secret Escapes! As you mention we do have an exciting new office move planned for January and this will certainly help to improve communication across the business. We are also currently working on plans to improve some of our internal processes and details for these will be shared in due course. If in the meantime you would like to discuss this in more detail please drop by and have a chat with HR who are more than happy to answer any questions that you may have. Thanks once again for posting your review, we value your feedback.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

overall a great place to work!

18 Jan 2016 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

fun atmosphere, everyone is very friendly, encouraged to push yourself and develop in your own role, free food and drinks, feels like your voice gets heard, feels like a family rather than a corportae giant, feel like the people in charge really care

Cons

small teams mean it can be hard to progress past a certain point, staff benefits not as good as some other companies, lack of opportunities to travel with job, role-related training doesn't seem to be offered (or hasn't so far)

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Intern

Top Tech Company to work for in the UK

4 Aug 2018 - Anonymous Intern
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free Food, Lots of Benefits, Game rooms, and Amazing Culture

Cons

Nothing to mention about, all good.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 13 Reviews