Secret Escapes Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Updated 2 Oct 2020

3.8
Secret Escapes Co-founders Alex Saint and Tom Valentine (no image)
Alex Saint and Tom Valentine
Pros
  • "Free food, free drink and socials(in 13 reviews)

• "You choose the best time to work, good managing, great people to work with(in 7 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Communication between senior management could be better(in 6 reviews)

• "No career progression, get stuck in a rut(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "senior management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Most wonderful workplace

6 Feb 2020 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are great here, everyone is so friendly. The senior management are easily approachable, and everyones voices are heard. The office has such a great vibe and I really feel that I can be my self.

Cons

There are no cons in my opinion

Secret Escapes Response

Thanks so much for your kind review - we really appreciate you taking the time to feed back to us!

2. 4.0
      Current Employee

Good company with good values but only a few opportunities to grow

2 Oct 2020 - Editorial in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good values Good poeple to work with Good energy, quite motivating Very good team spirit Beautiful office in Holborn with free food, drinks etc Senior management very accessible They encourage to share ideas and take them into account if good

Cons

Only very few opportunities to grow even after years Executive positions stuck at the bottom with no will to make people progress Low salaries comparing to the industry Little travel perks comparing to the industry (20% off on the website for staff and £100 voucher for Christmas)

2 people found this review helpful

Secret Escapes Response

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us some feedback - it's great to hear that for the most part you're enjoying your time at Secret Escapes!

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A chance to grow

8 Nov 2018 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

You are faced with different and exciting challenges every day that not only test what you know but provides insight into how you can better yourself and those around you.

Cons

At times there seems to be a disconnect between senior management and those below them which means that a positive relationship isn't possible to build unless you are in a role that allows you to engage with them.

Talent Administrator

Thank you for your post and taking the time to write a glassdoor review about your experiences at Secret Escapes! It’s lovely to hear how much you enjoy your work, and that you feel challenged and are continuously able to develop! We believe in development and love to dedicate time and resource to achieve this! Sorry to hear your comments about senior management; we are always looking to make sure effective working relationships can be built across the whole business and initiatives such as our new series ‘Conversations with our founders’, where you can ask them all your questions and rolling out the social committee (which you’re welcome to join!) are all designed to help this. We appreciate your feedback, and hope that continue to feel your work here is challenging and rewarding like we do!

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great work experience and smart people

26 Sep 2017 - Marketing Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company culture and very data driven company. It's a place where you can get involved in various projects and grow them as big as you can - as long as you show initiative and communicate, there are a lot of possibilities. The staff perks improved massively last year: staff training and coaching available, discounted health and dental insurance, and enhanced maternity package after you've worked there for 1 year. Quite flexible with working times too, you can leave at 5:30 if you take a shorter (30 min) lunch break. Office looks great, people are friendly. Would recommend anyone to work here - great place to work yourself up (especially at entry and mid-level) and get involved with a fun, respectable brand.

Cons

Some projects move along quite slow but this seems to be mostly due to lack of tech resource or not being prioritised by senior management (for reasons which may be fair enough but don't always have visibility on that). At times the company changes direction quite sudden - but you could also argue that is a good thing.

1 person found this review helpful

Secret Escapes Response

Hey, thank you for taking the time and effort to write a review on Glassdoor. We appreciate it. It’s fantastic to hear that you feel there are plenty of opportunities to take projects as far as you can and we’ve worked hard at improving our perks so it’s great to hear that you see these really positively too. You’re quite right to point out that things can change quickly at times. As you say this can be a good thing as we feel that it is important to remain nimble despite our growing size in order to take advantage of market opportunities. We have put a lot of effort into building the level of internal comms to help better disseminate information across the business and we will take your views on board and will continue to build further on this. If you ever have any further feedback please let our HR team know.

5. 4.0

Exciting place to work!

27 Oct 2015 -  in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The office has a great energy, full of bright ambitious people. There is still a fast paced start up culture but it has the security and backing of some big investors like Google. This culture means I get lots of responsibility and autonomy in my role. If you work hard you see the impact and it gets recognised by Senior Management. It's a relaxed environment, I love wearing casual clothes to the office. There's free food and drink in the fridge and wine and beer on a Friday. I also appreciate cake Monday!

Cons

As the business is growing really quickly and recruiting lots of people, we have out grown the office - it's cosy! But we are moving office in January and the plans for the office look cool. There's lots of meeting rooms, a big kitchen, games room and tiki bar work station. There isn't much formal or structured training at the moment, the on the job learning is great, but more training would be good.

Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, this is really valuable feedback. It's great to hear that overall you appear to be enjoying your role and the culture here - and of course the food (Cake Monday is great!). You've already mentioned the amazing plans for the new office and you’re not alone in feeling that it is ‘cosy’ or that this is much needed to continue to build a work environment where we can all thrive. You’re also right about the training, I can reassure that this is being addressed and over the next few months, there will be much more communication about more formalised training along with some other great new initiatives that will help to build on our culture. Thanks again for this valued feedback, please do feel free to come and have a chat if you would like more detail.

6. 3.0
      Current Employee

Overall very nice place to work, but no job progression and poorly managed

3 Sep 2015 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free food and drink. Music is on all day, drinks on a Friday at 5pm, cakes on Monday. Not really many other benefits. Open door policy and easy access to the execs, when/if they're in the office.

Cons

Career progression very limited. Poorly managed, no one seems to know what's happening. Poor communication between departments and even between the execs. Large majority of people work from home, which is not how I would chose to run my business. People need to be at their desk, in the office, if work is to be done. Days go by with no senior management in the office. Again not the best way to run a business. The office is jam packed with people, working conditions are very tight and not ideal.

5 people found this review helpful

Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post this. While I'm really sorry to see you have a negative outlook and that we don’t appear to be living up to your expectations, I really appreciate your honesty. This response won’t solve the issues you have raised however, I do hope, you will stop by and have a chat with a member of the HR team so we can address your concerns in more detail. We have grown very fast and we could and should have done better with our communications. This is being addressed in a number of ways with all the teams and senior management and I hope you will see and experience the fruits of this work very soon. Unfortunately, due to the exciting fundraising which was pretty time consuming, Alex and Tom needed to be out of the office more often than usual. Not Ideal I know, but, we secured the right investment to help us all achieve the ambitious plans we have. Now it’s quietened down, we will be launching and running regular informal lunch sessions, which all staff will be invited to book a session and get to raise any concerns or just share ideas they may have. We are currently reviewing both the benefits and career progression opportunities and we have some exciting announcements coming soon. Regarding home working, there are some great benefits for lots of staff in our attitude to flexible working. I certainly understand your point and this style of working isn’t for everyone. Clearly we can do more to ensure we’re striking the right work/life balance and in January we hope that people won’t be able to resist coming into our new office where we will have lots more space with additional desks, meeting rooms and a Tiki bar! Thanks again for your time, we really appreciate your honest feedback.

7. 4.0
      Current Employee

One of the best company;s I have worked for

9 Aug 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love the vibe in the office, which is definitely a match to the culture they try to portray. The meeting rooms each of a different city of the world really makes it easier, and enjoyable being there, not to mention the weekly cake tradition and ocassional pizza parties! I love how much autonomy I have to make decisions and challenge senior management

Cons

Communication between senior management could be better. Working in a global company, the communication at times an fall short, but therea re always ways of getting around that.

8. 2.0
      Former Employee

Good Start, Then Downhill From There

26 May 2017 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good staff mix. Nice offices. Everyone is on the ball. Wear whatever you want to work. Breakfast and snacks are provided.

Cons

Very clicky - if the senior management like you, you'll do well. Enjoy making your life as difficult as possible if they want you out the door. If you don't live & breathe Secret Escapes 24/7, you are very much frowned upon. No career progression, get stuck in a rut.

5 people found this review helpful

Secret Escapes Response

Hi - Thanks for your feedback. We care about how our employees feel at work and hence we will take your views on board and add this to data that we collect in our employee surveys which help us gauge what's happening. We are passionate about Secret Escapes as a business and love to talk about our product. We expect work life to be challenging, rewarding and fun and we very much want employees that are invested in our vision to ‘inspire the world to escape’. We love to see colleagues excelling in their roles and are keen to promote where possible in the business. We highlighted our promotions in the business in an e-mail this month celebrating 45 individuals who made a step forward in their career with Secret Escapes. That’s a promotion for almost 10% of the workforce and a clear indicator that we both recognise and reward. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed some of the perks we have here at Secret Escapes such as our yummy breakfast and snacks for employees, our casual dress code and our fun, creative office environment. Secret Escapes is a fast paced place to work and as you said, our employees are always on the ball! We appreciate both the positive and constructive feedback you have given us and will take these comments on board to help shape an even better Secret Escapes.

9. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Unfortunatly little development

9 Jul 2017 - Sales Account Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Strong brand, free food, flexible working hours, nice people

Cons

Little development, little training, poor processes, poor senior management decisions

2 people found this review helpful

Secret Escapes Response

Hi - Thanks for your feedback. We always take employee's views on board so we appreciate you taking the time to share. It is a shame that you are feeling left out in terms of development as the company strives to deliver consistent learning opportunities. These include our coaching programme, a 6 month manager training programme as well as various courses with the British Learning Foundation such as Communication and Influencing Skills, Presentation Skills and Dealing with Difficult Situations. With regards to poor processes and management decisions it would be really helpful to understand these in some more detail. Would you be willing to provide HR your experiences anonymously as we are keen to address these?

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 English Reviews