Severn Trent Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated Oct 9, 2019

Found 194 reviews

4.2
Pros
Cons
  • "You are selected for career progression or development depending on who you know(in 6 reviews)

• "Main jobs in my area of focus are based at head office and challenge my work life balance(in 6 reviews)

1. "Progressive, caring, engaging, rewarding"

Current Employee - Senior Leader

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Opportunities for progression and development Employee support is excellent

Cons

Opportunities are not always geographically close

Severn Trent2019-10-09

October 14, 2019

Thanks for the review. Wonderful to hear the words you have used to decribe your experience of Severn Trent.

2. "Stw review"

Current Employee - Business Lead in Leicester, England

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great culture, good ethics, team driven, take employee engagement very seriously.

Cons

Geographically constrained, slow moving technology,

Advice to Management

Innovate more aggressively

Severn Trent2019-10-04

October 10, 2019

Thanks for the review! Lots of pro's here and employee enagagement is key as we aim to be an awesome place to come and work. The feedback is helpful too, as we drive to keep making positive changes.

3. "Starting to get involved with the sign-on of projects and still getting used to life as a QS."

Current Employee - Apprentice Quantity Surveyor in Derby, England

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time for less than a year

Pros

Opportunity to contribute to sharesave, Everyone is super friendly and helpful, Flexible and fair place to work with many opportunities, Option to work from home occasionally

Cons

Long distance to travel every day

Severn Trent2019-10-02

October 3, 2019

Thank for the review! Great to hear you are enjoying your QS Apprenticeship! Friendly and helpful are some of the best attributes of our people and we think its part of what makes up the Severn Trent DNA. We look forward to continuing to support you through your apprenticeship!

4. "Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Programmer Manager in Coventry, England

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

An inspirational CEO, a great and friendly workforce, good benefits package. Must be a good place to work when so many people have worked here for 10/15/20 plus years

Cons

Salary isn't quite as good as some other companies

Severn Trent2019-10-02

October 3, 2019

Thank you for your review! It's great to hear about all the things you enjoy about working here and we agree that its brilliant to have so many people spend the best part of the working lives here! It helps create the culture that we all love.

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Care Team Leader in Shrewsbury, England

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Has a really positive approach to improving, making it an exciting place to work right now. The company genuinely cares about employees, customers, and the environment. Every employee can spend up to two days per year volunteering to work on a project that makes a difference in the local community. We have signed up to delivering a triple pledge by 2030 to have zero carbon emissions, 100% renewable energy and... 100% electric vehicles. The company opening a new academy to help invest more in employees career development.

Cons

Sometimes the pace of delivering necessary change seems a bit too slow. The employee wellbeing programme is making a difference, but desperately needs more investment.

Severn Trent2019-09-28

October 1, 2019

Thank you for the review. We love the positivity and its great to hear that in how you describe your experience of working here! It's also brilliant to hear that you are as passionate as we are about the commitments we have for the future. We do appreciate feedback too and we'll take onboard you comments!

6. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

environment The Head office is a great place to work. Great facilites Good people Good opportunities

Cons

Below market salary as a result of size and progression timeframs

Advice to Management

innovate, adapt. althogh this is now in process

Severn Trent2019-10-07

October 10, 2019

Thanks for the review! Great to hear about all of the things you enjoy ablout working here! Also good to hear that you can see the innovation and progress coming through, change takes a little while to show the results, but we are excited to be delivering lots of positive changes throughout the business as part of our 2020-2025 plans.

7. "Like a Family"

Current Employee - Apprentice Tanker Diver in Worksop, England

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everybody is willing to help you to ensure you receive the best possible up-skilling and training. When I have reached out for help I have always had somebody offer me the support and guidance, the flexibility of the working hours is great and I am more or less in charge of what I do within my apprenticeship

Cons

A lot of the training courses seem to be not local for me, however mileage is paid for this

Severn Trent2019-10-03

October 10, 2019

Thank you for your review! It's lovely to hear about how you are getting on with you apprenticeship and that you are feeling fully supported in your role. We'll learn from your feedback too as its the first cohort of apprentice tanker drivers we've taken, so we'll learn and help keep improving these programmes.

"Mixed bag"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Shrewsbury, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Wide variety of interesting and stimulating work. Socially useful function (even if there are discussions to be had around the business model) Good pension contributions (Defined Contribution) Potentially useful 'discounts' and 'extras'

Cons

Too large geographically with unreasonable travel times and larg carbon footprint despite ambitions for carbon neutrlity elsehere in the business Too large organisationally meaning excessive number of cross-functional consultations required to progress a project. One size fits all approach to personel management, allied to a focus on everyone being hyper-enthusiastic about everything. Allied to this,... excessive jargon that act as a barrier to getting on with the project; annoying prevelance of verbosity and vacuous phrases (everyone is 'super excited', everything is 'great'; people are 'reaching out'). IS systems unreliable in their operation. Too many 'self-help' systems (e.g. for personel matters) and not enough support in navigating the systems and querying outcomes. Poor training for (e.g.) SAP. Seems to be in a constant state reorganisation

Advice to Management

Split the comapny into smaller bite size pieces - about 4 minimum. Use less jargon Reduce need to travel

Severn Trent2019-09-27

October 1, 2019

Thank you for the review. We're pleased to hear you enjoy the work here and find the opportunities you have stimulating. Its also great to hear that you value the benefits and reward options open to you here. We also appreciate feedback and as a large organisation we do have to adapt to make sure we are able to keep delivering the best service we can for our customers. There are always things to improve and we embrace that as a culture, one of those as you mention is how we can reduce our carbon footprint, where we have signed up to delivering a triple pledge by 2030 to have net zero carbon emissions, but this is a long term project as are some of the others, so real impact takes a little time. Creating an awesome place to work is the overall goal and although it may seem that its just part of a hyper-enthusiatic sound bite, it's core is about wanting to build a workplace where people enjoy coming to work and achieve their goals and support customers. Which we believe benefits everyone.

9. "Employer of choice"

Current Employee - Human Resources Hub Advisor

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time for less than a year

Pros

- lots of development opportunities - a range of benefits, volunteer work and educational work to be a part of - so many people genuinely love their job, which is evident by their enthusiasm and length of service - lots of team building activities and involvement within the department

Cons

There are not any cons

Severn Trent2019-09-10

September 16, 2019

Thank you for your review. It's great to hear that you are loving your role and enjoy working here.

10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Analyst in Coventry, England

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Security Pay Ability to develop Flexibility (My Business Lead is a great support) Perks such as free advice service, ability to buy leave, cinema vouchers etc.

Severn Trent2019-09-17

September 23, 2019

Thank you for the review. Its great to hear about all of the things that you enjoy about working here. Especially the supportive flexibility from your Business Leader, which is really important to helping towards a better work/life balance for you.

Found 194 reviews