Severn Trent Reviews
87% would recommend to a friend
(679 total reviews)
93% approve of CEO
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Low pay and hard to commute" (in 23 reviews)
- "Poor management of their staff" (in 20 reviews)
- "Management of any maintenance or front line staff is abysmal as most managers or senior techs aren't from the appropriate backgrounds and planners ask you what work you want sending and actual do no area planning what so ever" (in 19 reviews)
- "Salary below national average." (in 15 reviews)
- "Career progression feels limited and vague." (in 11 reviews)
Found 679 of over 749 reviews
Updated 23 Nov 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 5.023 Nov 2023Senior Digital DesignerCurrent Employee, less than 1 year
Flexibility (allowing for school runs etc) Good benefits and pension scheme Supportive team & management Interesting projects
Ideally STW would like you in the office a minimum of 3 days per weekSevern Trent Response3d
Thanks for such a super review.
- 4.013 Nov 2023Operational TechnicianCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearLeicester, England
some of the best reasons for working for severntrent include their rewarding you and benefits system - it provides an additional incentive to want to work hard for the company. There are also lots of room for progression and management/colleagues are always willing to help push you where needed.
Some cons i have seen whilst working at severntrent include some of the methods behind the job seem counterproductive and almost add barriers where not required. I also think that there needs to be more structure to training courses; having had no background in a job like this before, i was presented a list of training to book on to but no order - so, i would turn up to a manual lifting course, without having done the theory of lifting operations first.Severn Trent Response2w
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We have passed on your feedback to the training team, as this kind of feedback is always super helpful.
- 5.023 Nov 2023Agricultural AdvisorCurrent Employee, less than 1 year
Good support network, with supportive line managers. Split between home based and out and about meeting farmers in my catchment area. Options to progress and gain further qualifications. Good work life balance. Excellent company benefits. Impressed with the CEO's ambition and dedication to speak to everyone. Spoke to Liv Garfield a few times in the first couple of months working for Seven Trent, which is good considering the size of the company.
Some more contact from mid tier management. Although plenty of contact within the smaller team.Severn Trent Response3d
Thank you for leaving such an in depth review about your experiences working here - it's so lovely to hear about your first few months with us.
- 5.021 Nov 2023Water Meter TechnicianCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearWorcester, England
Shares benefits, amazing pension, great wage for the work that’s required, great boss and I feel very relaxed when starting and finishing work
An occasional week day off to swap for a weekend would be great but no complaintsSevern Trent Response4d
What a brilliant review - it's great to hear you're enjoying Severn Trent and also that you're manager is the best you've had in your career too!
- 5.09 Nov 2023Construction ManagerCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearShrewsbury, England
Upon starting with STW the recruitment, interview and onboarding process was a good experience and stress free. Plenty of information and communication leading up to my start date with recruitment and line manager. First day at Finham my line manager introduced me to some of the team, IT log in detail available on start date and started the IT onboarding process with all the relevant information that was required at the time. Within the first eight weeks a presented induction was given at the academy (STW training facility) which has a warm welcoming feeling as did all the people presenting on the day. Induction highlighted STW drive to have customer care and water quality and the forefront of what we do and how we deliver this service. STW also have educational team that educate the next generation about the importance of water and befits of only flushing down three Ps ( poo, pee, paper(toilet ). Training, education, and awareness is very high on STW agenda as is support, I needed access to certain software on the system IT options available are live chat, speak to IT on phone or raise a ticket all options had a prompt response and resolved efficient. CEO Liv Garfield was on a road show to inform all STW teams on past performance and the future expectations leading into a very busy AMP eight. All STW employees had the invite to attend the road show and Liv was willing to answer questions and take suggestions onboard great to see. I come from a tier one contracting background were working away and long hours where the norm. STW have given me the opportunity to work close to home and have a good work life balance and spend more time with my family. Benefits are excellent pension I believe can’t be beaten, competitive salary and annual bonus for all STW employees gauged and driven by STW performance.
Huge amount of acronyms are used in emails, meeting and everyday communications. No allocated desk space at your based office, all desk know as hot desks first come first served with no prior booking system.Severn Trent Response2w
Thanks for such a brilliant review! We're really glad you're enjoying your first few months at Severn Trent, we wish you a very rewarding career with us.
- 5.022 Nov 2023Graduate Treatment Process EngineerCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearCoventry, England
- I am surrounded with some of the Water Industry's best Process Engineers and with very good support from them. - I am entrusted with major projects that contribute positively to our customers, communities and the environment.
No cons to note downSevern Trent Response4d
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review - it's great to see you're getting to learn from the best and contributing to some really purposeful work.
- 1.011 Aug 2023Business Leadership Program (BLP)Former Employee, more than 3 yearsCoventry, England
- Decent rewards package - CEO has great ambitions but her vision isn't translated throughout the business - Annual pay review/ bonus (dependent on company performance) - Costa on site (Coventry)
- Awful culture, especially within the HR New talent and Resourcing team, managers gossip about employees and there's a massive issue with a bullying culture. I've experienced multiple employees leaving or been forced out due to the clique-like behavior of managers. - Nepotism is rife - Corporate virtue signaling- they preach about diversity and inclusion but they're very discriminative in practice. Make those who aren't able bodied/ POC/ religious feel excluded and isolated at work. - Unfair recruitment process (hiring managers will already know who they're hiring for the role but will interview anyway to give the impression of a 'fair and inclusive process') - No WFH flexibility- archaic mentality that full time office work is essential - No flexibility for people with children - No parking at the head office - Chief Engineer HRBP and wider HR teams have no regard for employee satisfaction, they work to protect the business rather than the needs of the employee. - Poorly run new talent programmes: no mentor, no support finding off-scheme roles, inefficient line manager training - insufferable office culture - Can't be yourself at work - I've personally experienced sexist remarks from operational staff and microaggressions and covert discrimination from Office managers.6
- 5.022 Nov 2023Permit compliance advisorCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsCoventry, England
Benefits, inclusive workspace, can get shares, good mental health support
Quite a few teams currently slightly over worked due to recruitment issuesSevern Trent Response4d
Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences of working at Severn Trent - we're delighted you're enjoying it!
- 5.022 Nov 2023Graduate EngineerCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearCoventry, England
Lovely company and lovely people. Definitely recommended!!!
Travels between different offices time-to-time for meetingsSevern Trent Response4d
Great to hear that you're enjoying your role with us!
- 5.020 Nov 2023Performance AnalystCurrent EmployeeCoventry, England
- Interesting, varied work - Good company culture - Progression opportunities
- Lack of flexible workingSevern Trent Response4d
Thanks for a great review!
Severn Trent Reviews FAQs
Severn Trent has an overall rating of 4.3 out of 5, based on over 749 reviews left anonymously by employees. 87% of employees would recommend working at Severn Trent to a friend and 82% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.
87% of Severn Trent employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Severn Trent 4.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.4 for culture and values and 4.3 for career opportunities.