Severn Trent Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.0
Severn Trent Chief Executive Liv Garfield
Liv Garfield

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Lots of focus on wellbeing and ensuring a great work-life balance in most departments" (in 9 reviews)

• "Pension scheme, sharesave scheme, flexible working" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lots of changes in the industry could unsettle things within the business" (in 3 reviews)

• "Work life balance is an issue due to under resourced" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Long term career company"

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time

Pros

Severn Trent is a really lovely business to operate in - its got the customer at the heart of everything it does and doing something meaningful that supplies clean fresh drinking water to 8 million people everyday means a lot to me.

Cons

It can be quite slow to get things done at times but that's just corporate life

Advice to Management

Keep going - it feels like you are doing the right thing

2. "Just the right working balance."

Current Employee - Operative in Stourbridge, England
    Current Employee - Operative in Stourbridge, England

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to learn, train and develop. Competitive rates of pay. Safety is taken seriously. Lots of different parts of the business to progress into.

Cons

Unsociable working hours can occur occasionally.

Advice to Management

Nurture fresh talent.

3. "Glassdooor"

Current Employee - External Funding Lead in Staverton, Gloucestershire, South West England, England

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team of people to work with
    Responsible employer
    Varied work environment

Cons

Like any big employer a fair bit bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Cut back on emails and meetings

4. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Real Time Analyst in Coventry, England
    Current Employee - Real Time Analyst in Coventry, England

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I find Severn Trent to be extremely supportive and appreciative. The possibilities to progress are endless, and they are more then happy to put the time and effort in (Even if you are considering moving departments which wouldn't be in the best interest of the team). They also have great benefits and really do look after the staff.

Cons

I don't think we are as efficient as we can be.

5. "Some real positives to working here"

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time

Pros

Sense of purpose, good benefits, friendly and welcoming, lots of opportunities to develop / find new roles

Cons

24/7 operation puts extra demands on people, culture is siloed

Advice to Management

Be more strategic and proactive

"Great Opportunities for Development"

Current Employee - Technical Expert in Coventry, England
    Current Employee - Technical Expert in Coventry, England

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunities for career development
    Passionate people who really make coming to work enjoyable
    Strategy is aligned throughout whole company with clear values and all employee bonus scheme
    Accessible senior management teams

Cons

More transparency around salaries and easier internal progression processes

Advice to Management

Continue to create a really great culture of inclusivity and opportunities for all

7. "Severn Trent an Awsome Company to Work For!"

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been employed at STW for over 15 years, initially as a temp and then made permanent. It fully has its customer and (ours, environment and customer) safety at heart, striving to deliver the best service. Over the years, I have seen a huge shift in change, encouraging an open collaborative approach with ease of access to anyone of any level (if needed). The Company, has an excellent benefits package (including pension scheme, support, share save), to truly make you feel valued. It’s within our gift, to truly make this an awesome and inspiring company to work for and deliver excellent service for years to come. One of the best things is the people who you work with, not just your immediate colleagues, but everyone within the Company. It very much like our own little family. Would I recommend Severn Trent Water a company to work for, 100% YES!!

Cons

Although we do work for an amazing Company, there are a couple of niggles, which we must resolve and must do better. We need to think outside the box more, be creative to deal with an issue. Be more open, to discover the use of new and existing technologies. We need to getter better at, change. We have some convoluted processes, which is unnecessary. However, we continue to suffer the pain, because it’s too difficult to change or because it’s ‘what we have always done’. So we need to get better at that, we’re heading in the right direction, just not there yet.
    The most import thing, we need to get so much better at getting the job done right, first time, using the right tools. Having contractors, attend a property with the wrong tools or not knowing what they’re attending (sometimes why), is not good. It’s not good for contractor (or subcontractor), us and most importantly, it’s not good for our customer.

Advice to Management

We really need to get better at understanding, when we get things wrong and, why and what we can do to improve. We really cannot seem to get our SIM score right.

5 Jul 2018

Thank you for your very detailed review, we’re really glad to hear that you’ve had a great experience working for Severn Trent. Severn Trent pride themselves on being an awesome place to work and... More

8. "Graduate"

Current Employee - Graduate in Derby, England
    Current Employee - Graduate in Derby, England

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company values are at the heart of everything we do.
    There are opportuinities to develop swiftly.
    You are valued as a person.

Cons

Change can sometimes be slow
    Base pay

5 Jul 2018

Thank you for your review, we’re glad to hear that overall you’ve had a positive experience working for Severn Trent.
    And thank you for your honest feedback, we value this from our employees.

9. "Slow Burning but Ultimately Rewarding"

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people - my team and manager were fantastic at supporing my development and giving me opportunities to get involved with a wide range of projects. Really easy to get on with and always willing to help.
    Flexible working hours - Options to work from home on occassion, starting early to finish early, starting late and finishing late etc was really appreciated and contributed to a good work life balance
    The work - Interesting and varied, I was happy to come to work each day and get stuck in with whatever project i was focusing on

Cons

Pay - not the best paying company in the industry, though they use other perks to try level it out.
    Slow to get started - it took a while to actually get stuck into real work while they were sorting things out. Coming into projects that were already ongoing made it difficult to make an impact as well.

Advice to Management

Lower level management i had experiences with were mostly really great and very helpful. Senior management seemed very detached from the actual work that was going on. Better technical competency in the business area they were leading would help.

2 Jul 2018

Thank you for your review, we’re glad to hear that you’ve had a good experience working for Severn Trent.
    And thank you for your honest feedback, we value this from our employees; we'll take your... More

10. "Fantastic place to Work"

Current Employee - Design Technician in Coventry, England
    Current Employee - Design Technician in Coventry, England

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Firstly, I should say, that Severn Trent Committed to Equality and diversity. I have been with the company for seven years ongoing and I also sit on the Severn Trent LGBT+ network group. Just one of the many ways Severn Trent shows its commitment to a diverse and inclusive culture

Severn Trent is committed paying every employee a living wage and in most cases better than. Not only is there now a great bonus scheme, Severn Trent gives all its employees the opportunity to have a stake in the company’s success, and a vested interest with a great share save scheme. If the company does well, you do well too.

Wherever you start the company the working environments are safe, comfortable and great places to be. Most sites, have break out areas, and pods for informal meeting and you will find Health, Safety and wellbeing of employees at the top of everyone’s agenda.

Severn Trent is a place that treats its employees as adults by giving them as much freedom as possible to accomplish team and personal goals. There is always room for advancement within Severn Trent, I have progressed through a few Job roles since I first arrive, each with its own set of challenges and it’s been great.

Performance reviews at Severn Trent are a two way street, so you not only receive regular feedback about how you’re doing, in ways that support you; You are also encouraged to provide feedback to your manager, either directly or anonymously to keep us all working for the better.

Severn Trent is not simply about increasing profits. It’s a place that is striving to be the most trusted, diverse and inclusive of companies and realises, it can only do this by engaging its employees on a personal level, supporting local charity and events and most importantly, Listening.
    Carl Edwards

Cons

Advice to Management

we have great staff, and and they want nothing more than to progress, so the more Inhouse qualifications we can gain the better Keep more of your talent in house, by offering even better in house qualifications

26 Jun 2018

Thank you for your review, we’re glad to hear that you’ve had a great experience working for Severn Trent. Severn Trent pride themselves on being an awesome place to work and it’s great to read that... More