Severn Trent Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 15 February 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Senior managers are power mad and don't listen to their teams (in 6 reviews)

• 400 a year (subsidised) parking space at head office where other large companies locally provide it free (in 5 reviews)

1. "Not a good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England

I worked at Severn Trent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some good managers although getting one is like winning the lottery, sadly, I lost.
    Infrastructure is interesting to learn about
    Safety is seen as important

Cons

Some Managers know very little about management or how to listen.
    Too much emphasis on meeting targets with the incentive of a bonus, as a result, everything is rushed and the staff at ground level have to pick up the mess.
    Blame culture
    HR takes ages to do anything

Advice to Management

Start looking at the way you run things and remove the main emphasis on hitting targets. Granted, there is a need to meet regulation but it should be done properly and not rushed, that way, people will be able to do their jobs as intended and not have to improvise to sort out the problems. Sort out HR and get rid of Project Managers, they dont serve any real purpose.

"Coventry Head Office based HR"

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Coventry head office is fantastic with great facilities
    * People within in my team and other teams all very friendly and welcoming
    * Lots of things needed to be improved so the role looked very interesting at the start
    *CEO - is very inspiring
    *I was proud to work for Severn Trent at the start of my employment

Cons

* Unfortunately management do not challenge the Senior Leaders within the business with new ideas and process improvements . There is a culture of we have always done it this way. I must say this goes against the CEO's message to the business.

*Internal pay policy restrictions are causing people who want to progress & have talent to the leave the business as other companies can offer them progression and higher salaries.

*Work life balance is an issue due to under resourced.

*High turnover of staff

* An arrogance is developing with management and a culture if you don't like it leave we will find someone else.

Contract says 37hrs per week but you will be doing an extra 6-8 hours per week unpaid just to deal with the sheer volume of work

Advice to Management

This could be a great place to work if you would listen to staff ideas and feedback . Ask experienced staff for there input before making changes to process & procedures to understand if this will work in the real world.

Please look at the internal reward policy or you are going to continue to lose talented people.

"stay away"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Loughborough, England
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Loughborough, England

I worked at Severn Trent part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unhelpful and dishonest company stay away

Cons

Everything if you look close

Advice to Management

Resign

"They dont care anymore"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England

I have been working at Severn Trent part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits pay, sharesave, annual leave

Cons

They no longer care about their staff. Worked here a long time they are getting worse

Advice to Management

If you carry on like this you will have no experienced staff left

6. "Jobs for the boys (and girls)"

Current Employee - Operations Technician in Coventry, England
    Current Employee - Operations Technician in Coventry, England

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary and pension. Fairly secure job. Good level of autonomy.

Cons

Nepotism is absolutely rife, difficult to get in unless you have family already in the job. Some sites feel like family businesses. Favouritism can be demotivating. Managers have limited technical expertise and rely upon operational staff while reminding them that they are expendable which alienates people.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff.

7. "Tense and hostile"

I worked at Severn Trent full-time

Pros

The chief exec tries very hard to engage with staff and have open dialogue with staff at the various sites. The canteen at STC is large and spacious open plan office.

Cons

The finance teams are lead in a draconian dictaorship approach. Some finance staff members employ bully type tactics and not qualified to run projects. A lot of blame and too hung up about petty things such as formats of reports rather than getting work done. Business analysts make decisions rather than managment.

Advice to Management

Take a temperature check in the finance teams and find out what the problems are. Understand why the IT portfolios all work in completely different ways , and implement change.

8. "Front line staff"

Pros

The good things about STW are that hey take Health and safety very seriously. The benefits package is quite good and job security.

Cons

Cuts, cuts, cuts, that's all they want to do. More and more work is thrown onto you and not given enough time to do it. Upper management is getting better but my level manager is a bully who threatens you with your job if you do something wrong. I used to enjoy my job but not now. Stressed for a pittance of a pay.

Advice to Management

Look at your frontline staff. They are the ones that are out in all weathers , day and night. On call, Stressed, tired. Stop looking at us as a figure or as a cost. Also look at paying us a proper wage for what we do.

"Water industry"

Current Employee - Technician in Warwick, West Midlands, England
    Current Employee - Technician in Warwick, West Midlands, England

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Job security in most roles. Sick pay, holidays and sharesave scheme

Cons

Constantly want more for less. Front line jobs (often requiring 24/7 cover) targeted for quite substantial pay cuts. Some line managers treat their staff as expendable.

Advice to Management

Focus on staff happiness. First line management in some areas needs to be improved.

10. "Programme Engineer"

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about working for Severn Trent is the stability of the employment. Another thing that is important for me, personally, is the fact that the business serves the natural environment. Additionally there are good benefits, work atmosphere and training opportunities.

Cons

The career prospects are very limited. Line managers are not interested in developing their charges. It seems that they don't want people to be promoted. They even encourage to stay in one job position forever. To go up the ladder you need to play their game. Managers not really interested in long tangible benefits, but only on quick wins to promote themselves.

Advice to Management

Care more about people and developing them, noticing and praising their efforts. Don't change things for the sake of changing them in the effort to promote yourself. Don't focus on quick wins only, but see the big picture and the long term benefits to the business.
    However, this requires integrity.

"Making internal moves not financially viable"

I worked at Severn Trent full-time

Pros

Great benefits package especially pension and share options, CEO very inspiring/enthusiastic, new buildings nice to work in, flexible working and working from home possible

Cons

Currently seeking to slash costs - canteen now very poor, very hard to get pay increases when moving between internal jobs, will often pay a new external person more than increase the salary of an internal person to an appropriate level to do the same job.

Advice to Management

Need to focus on the long term and be less short termist. Also address the internal pay issue noted above.