Severn Trent Water Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 16 November 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Senior management are ignorant and sometimes don't even acknowledge team members who aren't on their "favourites" list (in 7 reviews)

• Lots of changes in the industry could unsettle things within the business (in 3 reviews)

"Expect a career and not a just a job"

Current Employee - Technical Manager in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Technical Manager in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Severn Trent Water full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Severn Trent has many excellent people working for the business. A lot of people have worked there for many years as the business offers a challenging career with job satisfaction. I enjoy working here and enjoy my role as part of a large business.
    It is a good place to work overall.

Cons

There are challenges in such a big organisation in making sure you stand out and your efforts are recognised beyond your immediate reporting line.
    Obtaining responses from colleagues in other departments only seems to happen if you chase and chase!
    Salaries seem to differ substantially between staff on the same grading and level. Irrespective of knowledge or ability. The business shows no desire to balance this or even incentivise career progression with salary reward. Beyond annual all employee rudimentary reviews. This demotivates and colleagues do leave and move on and will do so until this is addressed.

Advice to Management

Undertake a serious review of salary banding and role grading and make sure staff are paid equally for their role and grade. Irrespective of any 10% salary increase rule. Don’t think colleagues do not know about one another’s salaries.
    Set up something to target and incentivise salary progression, with meaningful advancement having objectives and targets which are achievable with stretch.
    If you recruit new staff and pay more than existing staff at the same level are paid you will lose existing staff to other businesses and any recruitment drive will have been a waste of time and money.

2. "You're just a number!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England

I worked at Severn Trent Water full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

>Company bonus that's not based on individual performance
    >Head office is nice (location is not so nice)
    >Volunteering in the community / charity events.

Cons

They treat you like a number not a person. Typical corporate company with ridiculous amounts of policies, procedures and red tape. Company car parking is a joke if your based In Coventry, so don't bet on getting a space on site if you do qualify for one - you'll be on a waiting list for 2 yrs!! so it's off to one of the council car parks you go at £8 a day if you have no choice but to drive.

3. "Fantastic place to have a career"

Current Employee - Specialist Team Manager in Derby, England
    Current Employee - Specialist Team Manager in Derby, England

I have been working at Severn Trent Water full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Delivering a service vital for peoples health and quality of life now and in the future
    Training and development
    Career opportunities
    Whole package benefits
    Future thinking and industry thought leaders

Cons

Can't really think of any cons. I live 80 miles from my base and have travelled every day for 5 years - so I wouldn't do that for a company with cons!

5. "A brilliant company to work for with great people"

I have been working at Severn Trent Water full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Varied work delivering some fantastic projects. Delivering a great customer service with a huge focus in keeping everyone safe and well

Cons

A bit too much beaurocracy but that's probably the same everywhere

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on safety and delivering a legacy that will be around for years to come

"Proceed with caution..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England

I worked at Severn Trent Water full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company bonus
    Volunteering days
    Pays the bills

Cons

- Salary's are inconsistent across teams
    - Inconsistent rules - different teams have a lot more flexibility than others
    - Unpleasant management culture - very cliquey 'If face fits' culture
    - No pulling people up on their bad performance
    - Constant abuse of policies by people who seem to get away with it time & time again & management turn a blind eye because they're 'pally'
    - For an apparently 'forward thinking' company the IT systems are something out of the dark ages, it's all hot desking at head office so get in early to avoid having to wander about looking for a comp to sit at
    - Reconsider if you need to drive into head office everyday there are limited parking options at high expense!

Advice to Management

Treat people fairly. If not you will continue to create a toxic culture of 'popular people' rising to the top over genuinely talented and NICE people.

Better IT equipment is needed to cater for individual requirements - it's not one size fits all!

Salarys need to be consistent across teams

People need to be pulled up on their bad performances and attitudes!

7. "I enjoy coming into work and knowing that I get to make a real difference."

Current Employee - L&D Advisor in Coventry, England
    Current Employee - L&D Advisor in Coventry, England

I have been working at Severn Trent Water full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being part of a company that provides such a vital service to over 8 million customers everyday is brilliant! For me the key to this is that pretty much all of the company are customers ourselves so we can really see the benefits of getting things done right and how the differences we can make at work can impact all of us.
    This gives Severn Trent an excellent working culture where you do feel part of the bigger picture.

Cons

Change is a big part of what to expect at Severn Trent, we have to adapt quickly and find the best solutions. Frequent change is not for everyone, but if you have a positive attitude you'll find lots of support.

8. "Great job satisfaction and feels like I contribute to achieving something really worthwhile."

I have been working at Severn Trent Water full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A company with a massive variance of work task and project types. Fabulous benefits package and flexible working arrangements embraced. If you work hard, training and development opportunities will be there for the taking.

Cons

Challenging new opportunities may mean you stay and your Cv has the same company on it for many years...........

Advice to Management

Keep the momentum going with the graduate and modern apprentice programmes

9. "Lost"

I worked at Severn Trent Water full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some great people
    Stability from fixed income
    Always changing - never standing still

Cons

Strategic Leadership weak and lacks direction
    Doesn't feel like a FTSE100 any more due to constant penny pinching. Feels like a company in administration.
    Unfair pay policy and historic banding system that is an issue for all employees and yet senior managers/STEC inert to listening to concerns
    Focus of development is on graduate training whilst existing workforce are overlooked
    Knee jerk reactions to problems with blanket rules imposed demonstrating a lack of evidence based decision making
    Too many change programmes running concurrently leading to poor delivery and ongoing issues e.g. Dee Valley Integration

Advice to Management

Prioritise improvement programmes and deliver prioritised programme well
    Don't overlook your existing talent at the expense of graduates
    Stop penny pinching
    Sort out the pay banding issue!! Everyone hates it and you aren't listening
    Remove ineffective Strategic Leaders - some are very obviously out of their depth

10. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Programmer Manager in Derby, England

I have been working at Severn Trent Water part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Providing an essential service
    Challenging & interesting work
    Good job satisfaction
    Flexible working

Cons

Sometimes feels slow to change

Advice to Management

Streamline processes

11. "Change"

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Engineer in Wrexham, Wales
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer Engineer in Wrexham, Wales

I have been working at Severn Trent Water full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very positive can do mentality.
    Communication paths are in place all they way to the top.
    Everyone is willing to help one and other.
    CEO is very approachable

Cons

The transition is difficult.
    Change could be better managed.
    Not sure where I'll be next year

Advice to Management

It feels like a rough road, having just been through a takeover, things were settling down then what feels like immediately a massive upheaval for my team which has the possibility of affecting our work life balance significantly. I've stuck with the take over as I can see the positives, however I'm now very nervous of the restructure.