Severn Trent Water Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 13 October 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Lots of changes in the industry could unsettle things within the business (in 3 reviews)

• Upper management is getting better but my level manager is a bully who threatens you with your job if you do something wrong (in 3 reviews)

1. "Awesome place to work #TeamBuild"

Current Employee - Programmer Manager in Warwick, West Midlands, England
    Current Employee - Programmer Manager in Warwick, West Midlands, England

I have been working at Severn Trent Water full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team building opportunities, working as one.

Cons

Huge area to cover and customers to visit

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Asset Creation Investment Planning Manager in Warwick, West Midlands, England

I have been working at Severn Trent Water full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people and leadership. Plenty of room for progression with support from all around.

Cons

Pay not yet representative of other similar industries.

Advice to Management

Need to consider bridging pay gap.

3. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Severn Trent Water full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great variety and challenging work, good people who want to help, flexible working

Cons

Very subjective approach by managers, a lot of prejudice, glass ceiling, not very appreciated for great work, low morale as a result, always looking to reduce costs by accepting reduced quality of work

Advice to Management

Need to appreciate the experienced staff and listen to what they have to offer. Need to get competitive with remuneration otherwise experience will be lost

5. "Appsqad making the difference"

Current Employee - Tech Team Lead in Coventry, England
    Current Employee - Tech Team Lead in Coventry, England

I have been working at Severn Trent Water full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working in my app squad is great. Exceptional pay as we are based in Coventry. last few two years have been very good. I started as a developer, now a Tech Lead and soon will get the role of Development Manager. you can get trained in anything you desire if you are on good terms with manager. I've now attended 16 courses including like html, javascript to Architecture (not sure why... ). Bonus every year and this is not based on performance, so money money. Work from India as my manager let me to work from India for at least two weeks every year. I was also handled well when I was having marital issues. Develop ground breaking mobile apps development are allowed to for what ever we want. This does means sometimes theres no business case however no one seems to mind with enough funding in place. Parties.. well, getting drunk for free on companies time too often

Cons

Career progression is slow. Its been more than 2 years since I came from India but only now I am being considered for the role of Developemnt Manager. There should possibility to apply and clean way to apply for porgramme manager and Head of IT. My office is huge, it takes time to go to forth floor so often. Not too many bright people around. I also think we should have more holidays.

Advice to Management

Managers are difficult to understand, they should be provided training. Managers should not have too many contractors as they get paid so much more.

6. "Steady company"

Current Employee - Instrument Technician in Leicester, England
    Current Employee - Instrument Technician in Leicester, England

I have been working at Severn Trent Water full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is what you make of it; it's a growing company with an inspiring vision. If you find the right team members and leader then it's rewarding and challenging. Lots of up-skilling and training available.

Cons

Not much room for promotion and lateral movement. General feeling of frustration and dissatisfaction within certain teams. Not enough direct management support.

Advice to Management

Be more supportive to the team members who have the best interests of the team and company at heart; these are the people who end up being misused.

7. "STW"

I have been working at Severn Trent Water full-time

Pros

allows you a great work life balance

Cons

salary could be higher but overall package is good

8. "Customer Service Specialist"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Coventry, England
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Coventry, England

I have been working at Severn Trent Water full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pension reward scheme, Buy company Shares, Inspiring great People, Great Progression, and friendly staff.

Cons

Shift Patterns, No Onsite parking.

Advice to Management

Improvement on Shift Patterns.

9. "Great people with a fantastic work ethic for quality, but invasion of commercial practises will degrade service"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Coventry, England
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Coventry, England

I worked at Severn Trent Water full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic people, attention to detail, focus on quality product, open door policy of CEO, health and safety ethics, local people working for local people

Cons

Commercial pressures of opening market, small scale empire building, political pressures between conflicting personalities in management, introduction of consultancy culture

Advice to Management

Slow down and don't burn out the staff

10. "Not a good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England

I worked at Severn Trent Water full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some good managers although getting one is like winning the lottery, sadly, I lost.
    Infrastructure is interesting to learn about
    Safety is seen as important

Cons

Some Managers know very little about management or how to listen.
    Too much emphasis on meeting targets with the incentive of a bonus, as a result, everything is rushed and the staff at ground level have to pick up the mess.
    Blame culture
    HR takes ages to do anything

Advice to Management

Start looking at the way you run things and remove the main emphasis on hitting targets. Granted, there is a need to meet regulation but it should be done properly and not rushed, that way, people will be able to do their jobs as intended and not have to improvise to sort out the problems. Sort out HR and get rid of Project Managers, they dont serve any real purpose.

11. "Coventry Head Office based HR"

I have been working at Severn Trent Water full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Coventry head office is fantastic with great facilities
    * People within in my team and other teams all very friendly and welcoming
    * Lots of things needed to be improved so the role looked very interesting at the start
    *CEO - is very inspiring
    *I was proud to work for Severn Trent at the start of my employment

Cons

* Unfortunately management do not challenge the Senior Leaders within the business with new ideas and process improvements . There is a culture of we have always done it this way. I must say this goes against the CEO's message to the business.

*Internal pay policy restrictions are causing people who want to progress & have talent to the leave the business as other companies can offer them progression and higher salaries.

*Work life balance is an issue due to under resourced.

*High turnover of staff

* An arrogance is developing with management and a culture if you don't like it leave we will find someone else.

Contract says 37hrs per week but you will be doing an extra 6-8 hours per week unpaid just to deal with the sheer volume of work

Advice to Management

This could be a great place to work if you would listen to staff ideas and feedback . Ask experienced staff for there input before making changes to process & procedures to understand if this will work in the real world.

Please look at the internal reward policy or you are going to continue to lose talented people.