Severn Trent Employee Reviews about "flexible working"

Updated 3 Dec 2020

4.1
Pros
Cons
  • "You are selected for career progression or development depending on who you know(in 7 reviews)

• "Long hours different shifts every week so difficult to get a work life balance(in 6 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "flexible working"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great Company"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Apprentice Learning and Development Consultant in Coventry, England, England

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great pension Supportive atmosphere Flexible working hours around childcare Take on a lot of apprentices and support development

Cons

Have had no negative experiences so far

"Procurement/ commercial team"

2.0
    Current Employee - Category Management in Coventry, England, England

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

28 day holiday allowance +5 day option to purchase more Flexible working hours The company messages from the CEO are inspiring but this is not reflected in day to day life of the procurement team. There are serious issues with engagement and team morale that the procurement management team are attempting to address, but I’m not sure it is having any effect. CEO is very visible and can often be seen within the office. She does roadshows where she visits all sites to speak to staff which is great. Office is very modern with discounted Costa coffee on site.

Cons

Inexperienced managers who offer very little support. No inspiring leaders to look up to. More focus and structure needed on developing staff. Lack of reward or praise for achievements. A lot of stakeholders (outside of the procurement team) lack the necessary skills and knowledge to advise on technical aspects of tenders, making it stressful for the procurement team and difficult for them to make the right decisions. Lack of team spirit & strange atmosphere within procurement. Many staff don’t speak to you or even say good morning - not a major issue but a bit odd. No work “social life” at all. Home working only allowed for those who are in favour/ make enough fuss. Promotion not based on experience or knowledge. Talent programme is not offered to all, only those who are in favour. This is poor given that Severn Trent are an “equal opportunities” employer. This has created bad feeling within the team and has been raised by multiple people but nothing has been done to change it. There is an annual & monthly anonymous survey to ascertain morale. When you give a negative score, the whole team is interrogated until the person who gave the score owns up. Car park costs £66 per month on site, £30 per month if you park 15-20 min walk away from the office. Severn Trent will pay for your CIPS qualification but this is being phased out.

Continue reading

3. "One of the best places I have worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible working is supported and encouraged where possible. It's so refreshing to work for a company that understands its 2019 - we have the technology to enable us to work from anywhere. Fantastic company pension. Mental health is taken seriously. The company provides support in the form of mental health training; mental health first aiders and the the Employee Assistance Programme (which your close family can also use!) Good amount of holiday entitlement; increasing with the number of years service. A range of other flexible benefits e.g buy/sell up to 5 days of leave. A range of training opportunities.

Cons

It feels as though Business Leads don't listen to the people on the ground. Decisions are made with no or little consultation. There are managers and business leads who are very knowledgeable yet have no people management skills. More travelling than the average desk job. Something to bear in mind especially if you have limited mileage. In the short time I have worked for the company, I have seen people leave and reapply in order to obtain a better salary. Existing staff members should be rewarded fairly. It's not clear how you can progress. Expensive parking at STC.

4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Business Leader

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time

Pros

Customer focus, training, flexible working, good culture

Cons

Strategies and structures change so often, benefits rarely get realised.

Continue reading
  5. "A fantastic company with lovely employees and focussed on great customer service and ‘doing the right thing’"

Current Employee - Rewards Manager in Coventry, England, England

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A big Company with room and support to grow in your career. Lovely people with a very supportive and collaborative feel. A great reward package with bonus payments at all levels, up to 15% pension contribution from the Company, generous holidays, really open to flexible working and a strong moral and ethical compass.

Cons

Nothing really if you’re prepared to work hard.

June 5, 2019

Thank you for your review and for your support in reward, which helps us create an awesome place to work for our employees.

6. "15 years and still going..."

Current Employee - Trainer in Derby, England, England

I have been working at Severn Trent part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible working, great career development, challenging and its a company always aiming to be better. Great community opportunities to get involved in.

Cons

Technology could be improved, behind the times a little.

7. "Great work/life blance, varied role."

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Derby, England, England

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible working, interesting varied role. An inclusive and diverse workplace with a great culture.

Cons

Vast geographical area can mean long distances to travel for meetings or site visits.

June 14, 2019

Thank you for the 5* review! Our wonderful employees like you help us create our workplace culture and its so great to be able to see this across the company. We'll be sure to take your comments on-board too as by looking at new ways of connecting our teams, using technology we can help reach more of our large geographical area, with less travel.

8. "Great company"

Current Employee - Business Lead in Coventry, England, England

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great overall reward package, flexible working and lots of opportunities to gain experience

Cons

Limited promotion opportunities due to external hires

July 8, 2019

Thank you for the review. Our aim is to create an awesome place to work, so its great to hear about all the things that you love about working here. We also listen to the feedback too so will take your comments onboard moving forwards.

9. "Project Manager"

I have been working at Severn Trent full-time

Pros

Great people, interesting job, mobility and diversification is common, good employer, clean water and protecting the environment is worth working for, flexible working

Cons

Salaries average/low for technical expert roles, some senior leaders can do better

Continue reading

"Blame culture and limited progression - prefer to recruit externally for senior roles"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England, England

I worked at Severn Trent full-time for more than a year

Pros

Inspirational CEO Important service organisation, great focus on customer service and building a water legacy for future generations Pay and benefits Flexible working

Cons

Very limited progression opportunities - constantly recruiting externally instead of promoting from within. Definitely a blame culture - senior management and executive team always looking to blame individuals rather than providing an opportunity to learn and develop HQ in Coventry is terrible location to commute by car Parking on site is expensive and there is a very long waiting list and it’s expensive to use local cat parks

Viewing 1 - 10 of 22 Reviews