Sewell Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Sewell Reviews

Updated 24 Jul 2019

4.4
Sewell CEO Dave Sewell (no image)
Dave Sewell

"bad experience"

Student

I worked at Sewell

Pros

there were only a few people working there, got to know everyone well. In addition the store was small, which meant less work

Cons

The store was quiet. There was no training in terms of how to use the till or how to process deliveries or stock count. Left to our own imagination. Workers were also clueless

Advice to Management

hire happier people

Sewell2016-10-23
  2. "Great for a Student!"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Orem, UT
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Sewell part-time for more than a year

Pros

It was is the best place to work as a student. The hours were flexible and I was able to work around my sometimes ridiculous class schedule.

Cons

There have been times where I would love to have worked more hours.

Sewell2019-07-24
  3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Shipper/Receiver

I have been working at Sewell part-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of the time when you are not shipping you are trusted to work on side projects by yourself. Laid back environment.

Cons

Sometimes when shipping is over there are not too many tasks to work on.

Sewell2019-01-10
  4. "A great job"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Manager

I worked at Sewell full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You are generally able to pursue what aspects of the job are interesting to you, while maintaining your regular duties. I learned a lot about how a business operates because of my time here. Management and ownership are very supportive as long as you can show them you care.

Cons

There is some high turnover depending on what department you work in, as most employees in entry-level positions have this as a college job.

Sewell2017-08-19
  5. "Good Part-time work"

Former Employee - Tech Support in Lindon, UT

I worked at Sewell part-time for more than a year

Pros

This was good part time work. Pretty flexible hours. You learned a lot of really interesting things.

Cons

The pay was pretty poor, which is why I ended up leaving.

Advice to Management

There aren't really any benefits for employees that work part time. Be willing to invest a little more into the employees.

Sewell2017-01-09
  6. "Warehouse Associate"

I have been working at Sewell part-time

Pros

Great pay for part time work Hours

Cons

Sometimes not the most exciting job

Sewell2016-07-06
  7. "Best job I ever had"

I worked at Sewell full-time

Pros

Sewell is a small company - for me that was a plus because what I did mattered. I felt like management (not the owner) cared about me and wanted to see me succeed. Ultimately they let me go but in hindsight they had a good reason - I stopped pulling my own weight and was focusing on my side business. It was a good decision for them and for me and I think sent a good message to the rest of the company.

Cons

Since they are a small company the resources are constrained. Sometimes you have to fight for the resources or training you need to do your job, unlike a big company where your path is clearly defined. Again, this could be seen as a good thing some of the time, but there are definitely cases where it isn't. For example, we attended a tradeshow and the company had never done a tradeshow before and didn't realize they... should have water in the booth. Fortunately one of our employees in the booth figured it out and got some.

Advice to Management

Clarify what the role of the owner is. Since I stopped working there I've heard that he comes over and works there, but doesn't seem very engaged with the company and I know in at least a couple of cases people who seemed awesome when I was there don't seem as excited about the future of the company.

Sewell2016-06-02
  8. "Tech Support"

I worked at Sewell part-time

Pros

Fun people, fairly laid back, good experience. We were able to wear shorts at work any day of the week. Seemed like they promoted from within.

Cons

Not very high starting pay for support reps. Other than that, it was a great place to work.

Sewell2016-03-17

"Best job I could have asked for as a student"

Software Developer in Orem, UT

I have been working at Sewell for more than a year

Pros

I started in tech support while I was starting a computer science major and didn't know anything about programming, but I got the opportunity to help out with the software team and eventually made the switch complete and permanent. Sewell is flexible, very laid-back, and provides a great work environment.

Cons

Honestly, I don't really have anything negative to say about Sewell. It's a small company and you're part of a small team, no matter what you do, so sometimes your workload can pile up, but it's always manageable.

Advice to Management

The thing I appreciated the most about management at Sewell was the laid-back style of leadership. Everyone knows who's in charge and who makes the decisions, but beyond that, you're free to do what you need to do to get the job done. Don't change anything about that. Ever.

Sewell2015-11-18
  10. "Tech Support"

I worked at Sewell part-time

Pros

Relaxed environment, laid back, you can wear shorts to work, etc. The guys were fun to work with and during slow times you could browse the web or whatever.

Cons

The only con was pay and that wasnt that bad, I just needed to be making more so I moved on.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work mainly. I know the customers were mostly satisfied and the employees liked the atmosphere. Only thing to change would be the starting pay.

Sewell2015-09-23