Shell Energy Retail Employee Reviews about "sick pay"

Updated Aug 5, 2020

Found 18 of over 408 reviews

4.1
Shell Energy Retail CEO Ed Kamm
Ed Kamm
Pros
  • "Motivational and engaging working environment(in 26 reviews)

• "Great team, flexible working, good management(in 13 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Pension scheme could be improved(in 20 reviews)

• "No sick pay and longer working hours(in 18 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "sick pay"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

N/A

Aug 22, 2019 - Broadband Support Advisor in Coventry, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great support and training offered Fast progression within the company

Cons

No sick pay and longer working hours

Head of Talent

Many thanks for your review. I'm delighted to hear your compliments on the training you’ve received and that you feel you have every opportunity to grow and develop with us and progress through the Company. Our working hours are comparable to elsewhere in the industry and, where appropriate, we encourage agile working which helps us to ensure that we have the flex we need to best serve our customers. Being agile also helps individuals to work in a way that they can be most productive whilst always keeping the needs of our customers central to our decisions. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts and for your continued contribution to our success, Ellen.

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company to work for!

Aug 5, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Flexible management - Friendly team - Plenty of benefits on offer

Cons

- Not kept updated regards business changes - No sick pay

Head of Talent and Enterprise Capability Development

Many thanks for posting a review. I'm pleased to hear about the positive working environment that you are experiencing and that you find your team and management friendly and flexible. I am sorry you feel that you don't always hear about business changes and I would encourage you to read the weekly Internal Communication newsletter which contains all the latest business news. Also look out for the regular transformation updates that provide an insight into our journey so far. I'd particularly recommend that you have a look at our Transformation microsite where you can get a great overview of what we've achieved so far this year as well as insight on some of the items in the pipeline. I note your comment about sick pay. Rest assured that we take the health and wellbeing of all colleagues very seriously. At Company discretion, sickness absence can be paid at basic salary rate for up to 12 weeks in any 52 week period. Each case would be examined on its own merits with full support available to the employee from the HR team. Great to have you with us, Eleanor

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Brilliant company to work for

Apr 17, 2020 - Customer Service Representative in Coventry, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Team morale Team support Investing in better technology

Cons

No enhanced sick pay If someone was seriously ill it would be awful living on ssp Having only 30 minute break

Head of Talent and Enterprise Capability Development

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review. It's great to hear you mention both team morale and investing in technology as positive attributes within the Company. The only way that we can build a business that is able to meet the challenges of the future is to invest in both our people and our systems infrastructure. Technology is ever changing and moving forwards and if we are to provide the level of service that our customers deserve we need to have the system platforms that will enable us to support this. Ensuring this is in place is a key priority for us in 2020 and beyond. I note your concerned comment about serious illness and enhanced sick pay. Rest assured that we take the health and wellbeing of all colleagues very seriously. At Company discretion, sickness absence can be paid at basic salary rate for up to 12 weeks in any 52 week period. Each case would be examined on its own merits with full support available to the employee from the HR team. Good to have you with us, Eleanor .

4. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

False Promises

Dec 13, 2018 - Call Center Agent in Coventry, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Decent Pay for the job title - In-depth training - Can meet some great people - Progression offered - Company has recognised the demand for being equal between wage gaps and benefits (But there is still more to improve, but its great to see them take the first steps)

Cons

- Stessful, as planning do not care about your wellbeing and hound your manager if you are not sticking to your rota, even when resolving complaints - Job was advertised as customer service and nothing about sales targets was discussed (even in the interview) - Job caused mental health problems due to pressure - Targets can sometimes be hard to meet, especially at quiet periods, staff then accused by management that they aren't doing all they can to reach some targets. - Directors offer to 'listen' but never actually solve any issues - A huge workload, which can be hard to manage - No sick pay, when asked why, reason was 'too many agents exploited this'. - Company doesn't actually care about your wellbeing, as they have a high staff turnover, they know they can just replace you. - Management benefit from your hard work and earn more commission - Communication from departments is appalling and causes a lot of customer complaints. - Departments just bounce about workload - Lazy staff members - Progression is offered, but promotions are only giving to favourites and is a bias process. - Firstperks isn't a great benefit - Pyramid shift pattern is very hard

9 people found this review helpful

Head of Talent

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I'm sorry to read of your experience. The well-being of our employees is of paramount importance for us. We recently conducted training sessions for our managers to promote awareness of mental health, part of that was a video where colleagues from agents to Heads of Department shared their personal experiences. We also recently held Opportunity Matters sessions to promote awareness of diversity and inclusion, where colleagues were invited to be champions in sharing knowledge and creating an open culture for discussions on ways we can continue to keep this at the forefront of our minds across the business. It sounds like your experience is quite different to that experienced by the majority of our colleagues. I'd welcome a conversation with you, if you'd like to talk through your experience. Please do drop me an email and we can arrange a convenient time to talk. Best of luck in your next role.

5. 2.0
      Former Employee

Nice people to work with

Nov 16, 2018 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work hours, if you're in tech that is

Cons

No sick pay, favoritism

1 person found this review helpful

Head of Talent

Thank you for your review. I'm glad to hear you mention our people - the camaraderie and support between colleagues is something often highlighted. I'd welcome a conversation with you to talk through your experience and your thoughts on what you think would be needed so that your rating would have been better. Please drop me an email if you'd like to talk and we can arrange a convenient time.

6. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Don't be fooled by all the fake 5 star reviews

Nov 13, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

They have parking but even that is a joke

Cons

I know for a fact they have a designated person at the company who just looks after Glassdoor, going around asking employees to post FAKE positive reviews! This person asked everyone in HR to post reviews, it's really sad that they have to do this. The company is full of young talent and yet most of the senior leaders are in their 60's makes no sense to me, no wonder why they have no clue what is going on, not that they even care. They have made so many HUSH redundancies as of late, cutting valuable people of the business and are now suffering the consequences. Yes, we know Shell is on board funny how they still have not rebranded or put any money into the business. So many teams are treated differently than the rest, HR especially, its like they don't even follow the rules they put into place. Sick pay, well not everyone gets that do they. It's funny how some employees suffer when they are genuinely off ill. They are quick to get Bupa to come in and do talks on mental health in the workplace, then when you go off work with stress and illness they turn their backs on you.

12 people found this review helpful
    7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Very poor place to work !

Oct 9, 2018 - Sales Representative in Coventry, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I would say the only pro is that the atmosphere is good which the employees create, not the business itself.

Cons

• no sick pay which is at management discretion and the company does not take any of employees situations seriously or into consideration ! • HR policies are appalling, HR does not know how to do displinaries. Management also make up things as they go along and no structure to the company. • High turn over of staff which shows the company does not appreciate staff and the business cannot appeal to staff ! • no progression and only if the face fits or if your constantly following management around like a goose chase! • appreciation to staff is not given even for carrying out overtime! • there is no personal development as the company states. It's a falacy to a structure created for formality reasons and not for the care and attention of colleagues. • staff canteen charge excessive pricing on food and do not have a Saturday service to serve hot food. Overall a really big disappointment regardless of minor improvements. Managers need to be trained more and do not possess people skills in some departments. Favouritism is ripe and fair few are selected for progression towards jobs they do not fit into. HR are not trained to the best of their abilities and over ride rules and regulations set out by the unions and working laws. Advise anyone who wants to work here to sign yourself up to a union as you'll need one!

8 people found this review helpful
    8. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

They just want positive reviews- a discriminatory member of staff- bias from HR-the great cover-up by a senior employee

May 13, 2018 - Customer First Adviser in Coventry, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Initially, everything was going well and the training was fantastic. The 4 members of Staff were amazing and they let me perform my prayers during the 4 of 5 week training period. However, my group was meant to be given full 5 weeks of training, as that was part of the scheduled training programme. But we were only given 4 weeks of training. Whilst the other group were given full 5 weeks and my group was told by the discriminatory member of staff 'that you don't need training' not only is this a clear deviation from the required training programme but also preventing one to carry out their role adequately. Even though, a Senior Member of Staff, he clearly said to my group that 'you all still have 1 final week of training which is on the floor' We were told by the discriminatory member of staff that 'help' will be given by the floor walkers, but it was my group who had to walk the floor to get our customer queries resolved. The female floorwalkers were always helpful but the male floorwalkers were lazy and laid back. However, when the time for prayer commenced, the discriminatory member of staff prevented me from going to my prayers and stated that 'you can't go mate, regardless'. Even though I explained to him that, previously I've been permitted to go for my prayers by the other 4 members of staff. Therefore, I don't understand what's his problem? He responded that 'the rules here are different (even though it's still the same company) we can't have the entire row of people (pointing at the row in front) go for prayers'. I responded that the likelihood of that row going for prayers is very unlikely due to most being non-Muslim. I raised a grievance with HR but it was sugar coated by an obnoxious member of staff from HR as an 'issue of miscommunication' rather than religious discrimination. (The member of staff from HR wasn't impartial, if he was, it would've resulted in him acting contrary to his contract, which requires one to 'act in the best interest of the Company' regardless of anything else.) However, thereafter, I was permitted to go for my prayers, but 20 days before my probationary review meeting, I was told by the discriminatory member of staff that my probation is going to be extended. (Even though I was above target for my stats and I was never absent, as well as providing him with 21 customer accounts, whereby customers said that I've been helpful.) I spoke to a senior member of staff and he advised that 'it's your manager's job to gear you towards passing your probation and not failing it. Also, he needs a legitimate reason to extend your probation, not an illegitimate one.' Thereafter, I was constantly being micromanaged and having unnecessary 'coaching sessions' where the discriminatory team manager was using it as an opportunity to bully and harass me. I raised a grievance with HR but it was disregarded by a member of staff from HR and he told me that (the discriminatory member of staff) 'is a professional who wouldn't do that'. Not only is the above response inadequate, it doesn't negate the discriminatory member of staff's inappropriate behavior, nor does it justify extending my probation, 20 days before my probation review meeting. But I came to realise that the points raised in the grievance, were mentioned to the discriminatory member of staff via chat, by a member of staff from HR and those were the points that the discriminatory member of staff was now 'coincidentally' trying to now focus on so he can save himself. Eg I was told by the discriminatory member of staff that he'll give me coaching for Nelly questions. But I wasn't given a single coaching session and when I raised it with him he ignored it and when I raised a grievance about it, he stated that 'his password wasn't working and that's why he couldn't have the session'. I spoke to a Senior Member of Staff but she was not being impartial and was protecting the discriminatory member of staffs behaviour, as she was dependant on his team's stats. Therefore, she let me 'resign with immediate effect' at my 'discretion without force' so everything could be covered up by her. She said that 'she'll look into my concerns and it'll have no bearing on my reference' We left the room and she decided to converse with me about resigning, so the people on the 'floor' cannot know why I'm actually leaving (Religious discrimination, bullying attitude, an extension of my probation 20 days before review meeting) She didn't have the decency to walk me from my desk to out of the building, as she didn't want others to see or know about the true nature of her cover-up. Also, rather than discipline the discriminatory member of staff, she promoted him to a different department so a lid is placed on everything. Lastly, another team member within my team, she left before me and I don't blame her, as I can see why she left. Pros: -was never discriminated by the 4 members of staff during training -was permitted to perform my prayers -met good people throughout -helpful floorwalkers (some, not all) -others from HR are generally helpful and approachable

Cons

-discriminatory member of staff -A bias member of staff from HR who is subjective and not objective -constantly micromanaged -Treated as a number, not as a person -I was never off sick, but if you do get sick you'll not get sick pay -You're required to arrive 10-15 mins early each day, which is 50 minutes-1 hour 15mins per week. It's unpaid -I left without another job as it was that bad -It didn't apply to me, but you can't start a family, due to poor maternity and paternity pay -basic pension -Read the customer reviews about the company and some of its employees -Gossipy & nosey/ busybody culture within departments

14 people found this review helpful
    9. 4.0

Decent

Feb 15, 2018 - Digital Service Executive in Coventry, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are class, development opportunities are there if you take your job seriously, lots of overtime potential, interesting future for the business. Wage isn't too bad. The takeover from Shell looks to offer good expansion going forward.

Cons

Employee benefits - it's hard to see a serious long term career being built where there's such a poor pension (government minimum legal requirements), no maternity/paternity pay nor sick pay. No bonus' for either personal performance nor company performance. All we can seem to offer our employees in recruitment is free fruit on a Friday and some very minor discounts off some shops e.g. 4% off Tesco. Employee retention - The turnover of staff seems to be very high, although I don't know the actual %. We're losing very good staff in all areas of the business, potentially for the above reasons?

2 people found this review helpful

Head of Talent

Thanks very much for your review. It's great that like so many of our other reviews, our people are top of your list of pros, along with our development opportunities. We launched First Perks, our exclusive employee discount portal last year, based on colleague feedback, retail benefits was chosen and has been hugely popular. Since the launch of First Perks, followed by First Forward, our development portal, our colleagues have been more engaged with our other benefits, particularity private healthcare and external training, as well as our mentoring scheme. Now is the time of year where our teams enjoy their quarterly socials. We've had some teams going for dinner and other enjoying activities such as go-karting or archery. You are right, long term security is fundamental to a long-term career and I'm really glad to hear you want to stay with us. Starting out on our new chapter as part of Shell's New Energies division provides an opportunity for us to look at our policies and procedures and whilst this can't change overnight, continuous improvement will always be part of our future. Thanks once again for your review and your continued contribution to our success.

10. 4.0

Great Company

Dec 20, 2017 - Customer First Advisor in Coventry, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Friendly environment - very vibrant and welcoming - Managers treat you like an equal and take good care of you - Team leaders are willing to coach you to ensure you improve your performance or increase your productivity to a higher level

Cons

- Depending on your job role - you have to do shift patterns - You don't get sick pay for the first few days which is a shame

1 person found this review helpful

Head of Talent

Thanks very much for sharing your thoughts. I'm pleased you mentioned our friendly, bright and vibrant environment as that's something may of our colleagues agree on. It's also great to hear you mention our supportive managers and that you feel taken care of, helping you to reach your full potential. Some of our roles, due to their nature, especially in customer services, do follow shift patterns and you'll know your shift enough in advance to plan ahead. Our guidance for managers is that sick pay is at their discretion and we'll be adding to our benefits package in 2018, so watch this space! Thanks again, Ellen.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 18 Reviews