Shell Energy Retail Employee Reviews about "working environment"

Updated Dec 21, 2020

Found 26 of over 406 reviews

4.1
Shell Energy Retail CEO Ed Kamm
Ed Kamm
Pros
  • "Motivational and engaging working environment(in 26 reviews)

• "Great team, flexible working, good management(in 13 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Pension scheme could be improved(in 20 reviews)

• "No sick pay and longer working hours(in 18 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "working environment"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

prepayment specialist

Dec 21, 2020 - Prepayment Specialist in Coventry, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Energetic, Positive work environment, coaching, Motivating

Cons

customers can be rude which is the main con

Head of Talent and Enterprise Capability Development

Thanks very much for your 5-star review! I'm really pleased that you mentioned the level of positivity, motivation and coaching. 2020 was certainly an extraordinarily challenging year and I know I speak for our Leadership Team across the business when I say, we are immensely proud of how we as a Shell Energy Retail family have supported (and continue to support) each other through the evolving pandemic. It looks like you've been with us for less than a year so perhaps you joined us in the midst of this, with most colleagues working from home, as they are now. That feeling of positivity and of motivation in those circumstances is wonderful - feeling part of the family, even though perhaps you may not yet have met many of your colleagues in person. Wellbeing and mental health remains high on our agenda for this new year, we want to ensure that support is always at hand to help everyone feel as positive as they can and to offer guidance during the times they need extra help. Living a coaching culture is central to our story, helping colleagues feel empowered, particularly to handle difficult conversations and indeed to support our customers through these testing times. We are rolling out further coaching specifically geared to our colleagues who support our customers on the phone, helping them to feel comfortable handling difficult conversations, as ultimately we are here to help and can only do that to our best ability in a mutually respectful space. I hope that the coaching will be helpful for you. Please do feel free to drop me an email with any feedback around it afterwards, all feedback and suggestions welcome! Thanks again! Eleanor.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee

Amazing company to work for

Aug 20, 2020 - Management Information Analyst in Coventry, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great salary, fantastic benefits. Motivational and engaging working environment. And free hot chocolate !

Cons

None I have found so far

Head of Talent and Enterprise Capability Development

Many thanks for taking the time to post such a positive review. It's great to hear that you feel rewarded and recognised for the contribution you make. I have to admit that the hot chocolate is one of the things I miss about not being in the office whilst so many of us are working from home. Even with remote working however, it's really encouraging to hear your feedback on the motivational and engaging environment you are experiencing. It's sometimes harder to make those connections at a distance so I'm pleased to hear that the technology is enabling you to do so. Great to have you with us, Eleanor

3. 5.0

Great place to work

Mar 26, 2020 - Team Manager in Coventry, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great working environment. - Great Team - Great support from the business during this time

Cons

Miss my Team whilst current situation ongoing

Chief People Officer

Many thanks for your five star review. We are all working in uncharted territory at the moment so it's great that you feel so supported by your team and everyone. Working from home can be isolating and it's easy to underestimate the importance of maintaining social contact. I encourage everyone to make use of our remote communication facilities - chat, video conferencing to stay in contact with your team on a regular basis. Although key for continuing with the business, these are equally important in providing emotional support. I am thrilled by the resilience shown by everyone in adapting to new ways of working and would like to reassure you of the continued support of Shell Energy so we can come through these challenging times stronger than ever. Great to have you with us. John.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company

Mar 15, 2020 - Digital Service Advisor in Coventry, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits, regular feedback from managers, good working environment

Cons

Harder to progress at this place

Chief People Officer

Thanks for taking the time to post such a great review. We have made a number of improvements to our benefits proposition and will continue to review these to ensure we are delivering on what provides most value to our colleagues. It's great that you are receiving regular feedback from your manager. You mention that you are finding progression difficult. I would encourage you to ensure that your sessions with your manager don't just focus on current deliveries but on your career aspirations too - we are developing more ways to help our colleagues learn new skills and to progress to new roles. Please do investigate our Development Portal which is home to a wealth of resource to consolidate and build your skillset. I hope you have a long and successful career with us, John.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Excellent company to work for

Dec 10, 2019 - Sales Performance Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Their agile working environment allows for flexible working when required and is encouraged. Benefits package is fairly comprehensive and is always expanding.

Cons

The Coventry location is nearby to a university campus which can make rush hour traffic worse than usual.

Chief People Officer

Thanks so much for your 5-star review I’m delighted you are experiencing the benefits of our flexible, agile working environment. Rush hour is never fun, but where possible we work hard to provide the flexibility to work remotely or stagger start and finish times to avoid the worst of the peaks. We want to enable our colleagues to enjoy a work / life balance that works for them and the company and the journey to work is all part of this. I’m glad you mentioned our benefits package. As you highlight, this has developed over the last couple of years and we've recently announced improvements to both our pension and bonus propositions which have been very well received. Thanks for your continuing contribution to our success - thank you. John

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

First Utility - Great Place to work

Feb 11, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very engaging and always have the best interests at heart for all employees. Very flexible working environment and great team spirit.

Cons

Can sometimes get very hectic with little time to reflect.

Head of Talent

Thanks very much for your review, especially your feedback that we always have the best interests of all employees at heart - having been with us for more than 5 years you'll have experienced the great many changes and strides of progress we've made. None of that would be possible without all of our inspirational colleagues. You may have heard Colin our CEO comment on the 'buzz' he felt from speaking to colleagues from across the business on his first day with us. That level of engagement, support and 'team spirit' as you say, is really fantastic and I'm glad you've noticed it too throughout your time here! You're right (and I agree) it can sometimes get very hectic, especially given our pace and the rate of change to enable us to reach our ambitions. We're definitely encouraging a culture of continuous improvement to help us along the way and that goes for our working practices as well. Many of our colleagues already take advantage of our agile working approach, working from home when they can or finding collaborative or quieter spaces away from their desks. Last year we introduced a wellbeing section within our reward platform, where you can find hints and tips on topics from mindfulness to healthy eating. As we continue to evolve, it's important that our working practices evolve with us, so we can continue to ensure we have everyone's best interests at heart. Thanks again for your feedback and your continued contribution to our success!

7. 5.0

The Life At First Utility

Apr 12, 2018 - Inbound Sales Advisor Home Movers in Coventry, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great atmosphere - Friendly, approachable working environment - So much opportunity to develop and gain experience in multiple areas whether that be Sales, Customer Service, Billing, Test Analysis, Business Analysis, Product. Myself personally receive so much opportunity to develop my skills purely from showing willingness to learn and the capability of the ability I possess. - Great Channel Manager and Team Manager support - Great to build communication and networking skills. - Overall a fab company to work for.

Cons

- Staff tariff could still do with some improvements. - Whilst opportunity comes in great amounts. Interview prep is not. Helping individuals face the interview environment would be a great help. I have a an extensive PDP but due to having OCD, fail at the interview stage due to not being able to articulate myself in the false environment.

Chief People Officer

Thanks for sharing your comment with us, I really appreciate it. We want everyone to succeed at First Utility and have a really wide range and growing number of opportunities to offer. I am sure we can help you secure the role you're looking for - if you message me or talk with our Head of Talent I am sure we can help bring your dreams to life.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great company with great people

Dec 11, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

High paced, modern working environment with some excellent leaders. Internal development of colleagues is high on the agenda with a culture of looking out for the customer and each other. Also a Tech led business, which makes you feel like you work for more than just an average energy company. Firstperks allows colleagues to save money on everything from Christmas shopping to the next holiday away, 25 days holiday and competitive salaries.

Cons

Pension/Paternity/Maternity meets minimum statutory requirement

Head of Talent

Thanks very much for your 5-star review! It's great to hear you mention our excellent leadership and the importance we place on internal development. We certainly wouldn't be where we are today without the people that make our business. I love your choice of words that we have a culture of looking out for the customer and for each other! Fantastic statement, thank you! We will be adding to our benefits package this year and keep an eye out for some policy updates soon to be shared. Thanks again, Ellen.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Innovative and Entrepreneurial

Nov 2, 2017 - Product Manager in Warwick, West Midlands, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, accessible leadership, entrepreneurial spirit, no blame culture, nice working environment, can do and get things done attitude, feel valued as a member of staff, innovative and technology led, willing to take risks, customer focused

Cons

multi site location (soon being fixed!)

Chief People Officer

Thanks very much for the fantastic feedback! Our entrepreneurial spirit is definitely part of our DNA and our, "get things done and can do attitude", you mention certainly is part of the foundation of our culture, which helps given how quickly we're evolving together! It's so important for our colleagues to feel that they are welcome to share their ideas, so that we can listen and adapt where we can. We value feedback because our colleagues are our business and we're on this journey together. Part of being innovative and tech-led is being brave enough to take the risks you mentioned and being outside a comfort zone is often where the magic happens! We're definitely looking forward to everyone coming together in our Coventry office - a great opportunity to enhance communication and culture. We recently appointed an Enterprise Transformation Director to help us map the way as we diversify our product offering. Thanks once again for your feedback and continued contribution to our success.

10. 4.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Great People & Great Working Environment

Nov 8, 2017 - Interim Human Resources Manager in Warwick, West Midlands, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

As a challenger utility company, the enthusiasm and camaraderie of the people in the business is very evident. This is a company that has grown rapidly and the people I work with couldn't be better. The working environment is very good. The offices are well equipped and modern. Meeting rooms, rest rooms and restaurant are all well equipped and nicely decorated. The technology is also up to date and good to use. The business is forward looking and is clearly going places despite the challenges in the broader industry. But it's the people that make working life a pleasure or a pain and in the case of First Utility, they are definitely a big positive.

Cons

It's early days, but from a work perspective I haven't got any complaints. However, the benefits package could do with modernising and I know this is something that is actively being worked on

Viewing 1 - 10 of 26 Reviews