Shop Direct Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.0
Derek Harding

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Very Poor wifi to the point I just used my personal (in 4 reviews)

• I would like to see some sleep pods being introduced into the Liverpool office - the London office already has these (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England

I have been working at Shop Direct (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, great products, great leaders, great colleague discounts! Pay and benefits are great as is the flexibility to get the job done plus lead a full life outside of work .

Cons

Going through significant transformation and change which can leave some people unsettled. Resilience required and ability to work in modern collaborative ways.

8 Nov 2017 – Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for your review! We couldn’t agree more about the great teams, products and leaders that we have across our business. We’re really happy to hear you’re having such a positive experience... More

2. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Product Technologist in Liverpool, England
    Current Employee - Product Technologist in Liverpool, England

I have been working at Shop Direct full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worked for the company in different roles for nearly 18 years
    Always been encouraged to progress within the company
    Great team of people to work with
    Company very keen on flexible working and work life balance
    Pay and Benefits are very competitive
    Fun and friendly environment to work in.

Cons

It can be frustrating and can take a while to implement changes/ ideas within the business .

6 Apr 2018 – Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, it's great to hear about the positive experiences you've had with your teams over the last 18 years - wow! Flexible working is something we know is... More

3. "Great company with lots of focus"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Speke, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Speke, England

I have been working at Shop Direct full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees encouraged to expand their skills,
     product teams to focus on set areas with all dev, test, ba etc in same squad to deliver quality fast
    Onsite free gym and wellbeing centre
    Flexible working
    Friendly people
    Staff discounts
    Great atmosphere
    Always lots of interesting things happening in the street

Cons

Going through change to process and sometime this is difficult for people to get on board with

Advice to Management

Keep the level of trust that has been built up, especially when people are moving to product squads from core siloed teams

"Lost it’s sparkle"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Speke, England
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Speke, England

I have been working at Shop Direct full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Open plan office with great atmosphere. Staff lovely and always happy to help or advise. Salary good with additional shine benefits. Gym and corporate beauty on site. Flexible hours with a bit of negotiation.

Cons

Cannot speak up as seen as negative. Staff not clear on what they should be doing or achieving. Bullying seems to be the way to reach deadlines. Recent changes were chaotic and not managed well. Interim staff Managing changes but didn’t know what it was changing from. Staff moral low.

Advice to Management

Trust is one of the values along with together. Ask staff for their views they know more than you think. Listen to your teams and direct them. They want to work for Shop Direct as well as to make things easily accessible to more people. Be honest.

"Awful, toxic place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shaw, North West England, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shaw, North West England, England

I worked at Shop Direct full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay was good when overtime was factored in.

Cons

Management largely were a group of unprofessional, ruthless yes men

Having 'Values' crammed into your brain at every turn by individuals that clearly didn't believe, or live up to them

Hard work is not rewarded, hard workers must work harder, they implemented an internal rewards system which was being badly abused by management for significant financial gain (£5 to pass holidays through!)

Real progression is non existent, new managers do not share the same rights, pay or privileges as older managers, despite having the same role and responsibilites

The business is continually slitting the throats of its hard workers, and its only a matter of time before they disenfranchise enough of them to see a significant drop in worker quality

Constant boasting of record profits while continually scheming to reduce worker pay, and expecting us to be happy with the companies performance

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, and you will ruin a company that used to be good.

"So glad I got out! There is life after SD"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Speke, England

I worked at Shop Direct full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice offices, good financial perks and benefits for a north west employer.

Cons

Wow, where to begin. The most toxic, cliquey, and poisonous environment I have ever seen. You can basically cut the company in half. 50% are the normal, hardworking, professional, courteous people proud of their specialisms. The rest are manipulative, lying showmen, or smiling assassins as they are referred to internally. And there’s a lot of them so be very careful before you think about joining. The problems are masked by HR and the long serving members of this team are also playing the same game as the rest. The reason is they pay fantastic salaries for very little output. But the people who worked beneath my level are underpaid, overworked and most of the time bullied. Sticking up pictures ramming values down people’s throats does not create a great working culture. Hence why your now losing talent yet again.

Advice to Management

Step down, you are preventing really great young talent coming through the ranks.

7. "Junior Merchandiser"

Current Employee - Junior Merchandiser in Liverpool, England
    Current Employee - Junior Merchandiser in Liverpool, England

I have been working at Shop Direct full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic engagement throughout the business; amazing people

Cons

Strategic plans are not always waterfalled down through staff

2 Mar 2018 – Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, we really appreciate it! We're so glad you think the people are amazing- we have to agree! Our engagement is something that we pride ourselves upon and... More

"Working in the Pick floors, great atmosphere but no care for staff."

Former Employee - Employee Trainer in Shaw, North West England, England
    Former Employee - Employee Trainer in Shaw, North West England, England

I worked at Shop Direct part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Staff are easy to get along with and help when needed, the training given is good enough to get you started working.

Cons

Management have no care for staff, do not listen to their suggestions. When I was working there the shifts were being changed around without staff consent and with disregard to staff disapproval.

"Great pay/perks but toxic work environment"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Speke, England

I worked at Shop Direct full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay in comparison to other businesses.
    Great Perks (additional 10% on salary)
    Good work / life balance

Cons

Extremely cliquey.
    Observed bullying from Head of department which then had a trickle down effect on her managers, resulting in low morale of execs.
    Very Poor wifi to the point I just used my personal wifi hotspot to get work done.
    Big hierarchial divide.
    Very poor communication between departments unless it was gossip.
    Politics between departments and excessive ownership rather than collaboration resulting in literally millions being wasted on useless projects and services.
    A lot of underperforming staff not dealt with, resulting in bloated, inefficient departments.
    Out-sourcing of catering has caused staff to have an overpriced canteen.
    30% of time was spent essentially doing things to make the department look good. Rather than just doing good work.

Advice to Management

Deal with bullying staff.
    Get rid of the poor perfoming staff.
    Do more inter-departmental team building exercises to help eliminate the cliques and encourage people to collaborate more rather than ridiculous over bearing ownership.
    Get some more wifi routers in or teach IT set up a laptop correctly.
    Get the CEO to go around the floor. Not just the odd hour for PR sake, but at least 10% of his time so that he appears to be a person and not a robot during balcony breifings.

10. "Mostly positive. They are prone to changing structure regularly."

Current Employee - Lead Analyst in Speke, England
    Current Employee - Lead Analyst in Speke, England

I have been working at Shop Direct full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Proactive in developing employees and first class office space. Very good culture that values its staff and has a clear strategy in place.

Cons

There's often a lot going on simultaneously and most projects aren't seen through to completion. Those that are aren't fully implemented.

Advice to Management

Focus on doing less, but doing it well.

15 Dec 2017 – Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and we're glad you feel that we value our staff- this is definitely something we pride ourselves on! Our culture is always thriving so we appreciate the positive... More