Shopify Guru Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke

"Shopify"

Guru (Remote)

I worked at Shopify for less than a year

Pros

- work from home - swag - learning varied skills

Cons

- laidback culture is not actually laidback - poor support - insufficient training

Advice to Management

Stay consistent in the values that you communicate to employees/prospective employees

Shopify2016-11-15
  2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru in Donegal

I have been working at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Remote work Good pay Great atmosphere

Cons

None to mention as of yet

Shopify2019-09-25

"An anxiety-inducing job."

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pros: -Immediate benefits -Benefits are great - from lifestyle spending to insurance coverage -Working from comfort of home -Paid vacation days

Cons

Cons: -Anxiety-inducing -Working overtime without pay -High-stress phone calls with merchants -Needed to always up sell -Not much room for growth into company - essentially stuck at Guru position

Advice to Management

-3 simultaneous chats whilst writing notes and responding to merchants in under 2 minutes is too much for any person to do a good job and actually help merchants

Shopify2019-10-05
  4. "Remote guru position"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good salary, excellent benefits and perks, lovely people

Cons

Working remotely can be lonely

Shopify2019-09-20
  5. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, great people, lots of opportunity to make an impact.

Cons

Salary for the guru role could be better.

Shopify2019-09-11

"Not a happy place for Gurus"

Former Employee - Guru in Toronto, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Shopify hires great people. They are an established business and the tools that they have you use are really helpful. Shopify seems like a great place to work if you're not a guru.

Cons

- Burnout - Lack of professional development - Everyone wants out of the guru role so there are thousands of people applying for one role, so very few chances for advancement - Misaligned goals across the company - No consistency amongst squad leads and their expectations - QA and SLs are not aligned - Did not feel supported across teams - Gurus are siloed and completely removed from the company. They are... never allowed to attend company meetings (have to watch them recorded on their own time), which leaves us feeling unheard and not even part of the company - Leadership is very disconnected from the role and have no idea how hard it is now - Lots of talk about fixing things but nothing is done - 3 chats about 3 completely different problems and also business coaching = stressful - when concerns are voiced, leadership turns it around on the gurus and makes them feel guilty for the state of support (ex. we were told the queues are high because so many people were taking sick time. Maybe we should address why half of the gurus are on short term disability because of the stress of the Guru job, rather than telling Gurus to just not be stressed?) - not a fair compenstation for the work that gurus do and the stress they are under - Business Coaching expectations on all interactions without ANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! marketing or sales training - Gurus are expected to hit a monthly sales goal that actually works out to be the guru annual salary - All the little perks that made the job bearable are slowly being removed (PD time, training time, team time, jump offs) - Remote employees vs. internal staff are treated completely differently - Internal staff have many more perks - While gurus are handling 2hour wait times on the phone, the internal staff are spending the day doing a pasta making course, which I don't really understand how that helps the company

Advice to Management

I honestly don't know at this point. I don't know a single person who is still happy in the Guru role. Any advice that has been given has fallen on deaf ears and no changes have been made. Maybe start listening before it's too late?

Shopify2019-10-12
  7. "Amazing opportunity. You wont regret working here"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great Learning Opportunity - Get your own store - Amazing Bonuses

Cons

- Being remote can feel isolating - Can get boring once you a high understanding of the role

Shopify2019-08-28
  8. "Good company, not for everyone"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Toronto, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great perks and benefits, awesome coworkers

Cons

Only one speed. If you cannot keep up, you are drowning. Not the best for any with health problems or for any intersectionals, although they say they are improving this. Difficult to get time off. Inconsistent management seems to be a widespread problem, other employees were only too eager to tell me.

Shopify2019-09-09

"Not Entirely What I Expected"

Former Employee - Customer Support Guru in Toronto, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, stock options, competitive pay

Cons

Inconsistent training, inconsistent scheduling, constantly changing platform

Advice to Management

Ensure that the platform is fully functional for training exercises. Allow customer support staff to maintain a consistent schedule to maintain proper work/life (and health) balance. Give customer support staff opportunity to learn/work with platform updates before launch dates, so they aren't scrambling when support calls come in on the first day.

Shopify2019-09-04

"You know how people say this "isn't for everyone"? I'm part of that "everyone"."

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Amazing benefits! - Fantastic 6-week comprehensive training process. - Everybody I met was very kind and always willing to help.

Cons

Intensity of the Role - While I loved the training, the people, and felt I was truly set up for success, when it came time to actually performing the role, I immediately struggled to the point of not eating, not sleeping, constant nausea, and intense anxiety. I believe this was largely due to constantly having to be "on" - when you're on phones and/or chats, your every pee break is timed by the second. Every... conversation is recorded and Shopify has very specific messaging that can be extremely difficult to keep up with (especially since new features are always being added/subtracted). There wasn't a day where I was able to actually leave when my shift ended - I would always spend at least an hour trying to keep up with phone calls, chats, and email. High Turnover - Although I was only in the role for about a month before the cons outweighed the pros for me, I experienced a ton of inconsistent management and several people in my initial training group has resigned due to stress and anxiety-related concerns. Additionally, I heard way too many stories of people who were afraid they were going to get fired any second for taking too long of a break here, not keeping up with 3 simultaneous chats well enough, etc. In my short time there, I heard from tons of people about the high turnover rate and was really alarmed by how many people from my training group ended up leaving within the first month. False Promises - Throughout training, you're encouraged to think about the roles you want to move into after your time as a guru. You go to Zoom meeting after Zoom meeting where someone who got promoted from the guru role after 2 weeks is telling you all about their department. Then, once you get into the role, you quickly learn that rapid movement is something that's dying out - and it's now pretty much impossible to get out of the guru role even after 2+ years. I worked in sales and customer service for many years, but Shopify exudes a kind of pressure and exhaustion I have never before experienced. In a few short weeks, I lost control of my mental health - even as someone who's very active, healthy, and makes a concerted effort to prioritize my mental wellbeing. My main point here - Shopify Gurus get amazing benefits, but at a steep cost. I would absolutely NOT recommend this role for anyone who deals with anxiety.

Shopify2019-09-15