Shutterfly Production Designer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 14 Nov 2018

2.7
Shutterfly CEO Ryan OHara
Ryan OHara
  1. "No chance for advancement"

Former Contractor - Production Designer

I worked at Shutterfly for more than a year

Pros

Vibrant, fun product. On-the-job training for Wedding Paper Divas. A culture of brightness and whimsy. Positive atmosphere, though it seemed forced by the end.

Cons

Promised conversion to full-time; never happened. Hours would swing wildly—you'd be working overtime one week and then maybe 28 hours the next. No chance for advancement no matter how hard one worked. Jaded graphic designers who were upset that their graphic design degree didn't bring them riches.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees and give them opportunities to advance. And calibrate your printers!

Shutterfly2018-11-15
  2. "Okay for a large corporation"

Former Contractor - Production Designer in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Shutterfly for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers were wonderful. We were like a family.

Cons

Contractors are sometimes treated differently by management. Company is profit over people. CEO seems very out of touch with employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to your customers. Treat your contract employees equally, they do the same job for less pay and no benefits.

Shutterfly2018-01-03

"-"

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-the work is easy, for the most part -managers are approachable and casual -free coffee/tea and soda fountain -work/life balance was okay (EXCEPT for q4, where you were expected to live at work and kind of guilted into working more overtime on top of the mandatory overtime) -steep discounts on many products -you can decorate your desk to your liking

Cons

-the work is very repetitive and requires little actual creativity -very little opportunity for advancement -we all start as a contractor but many never get converted to a fulltime employee even after 3+ years of doing the same work, and their hours are always in flux -fulltime employees rarely get promoted even if you take on more tasks/projects -lack of company culture (despite management belief that we have... one, the environment in our building is very corporate and just a tad sterile in appearance) -no real rewards for work well done (raffles are done instead so only a couple people actually benefit)

Advice to Management

Rewards for hard work would be appreciated and increase motivation - not just a verbal "we acknowledge your efforts" but a tangible thing that really stays with you and SHOWS that your hard work meant something. Instead too much focus is placed on audits or correcting errors that are mostly minor. As far as getting rid of our entire department, I feel like surveys should have been sent to customers before this... decision was reached as so far, the feedback seems negative. It'll be interesting to see what happens this q4.

Shutterfly2017-08-07
  4. "Production Design Team"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Shutterfly part-time for less than a year

Pros

First job after graduating from college, and it's been a good experience working here. It's a very friendly workplace; everybody works with you and helps you out.

Cons

The design team is being shut down, so a lot of employees are being laid off.

Advice to Management

The management for this company is great.

Shutterfly2017-07-30

"Production Designer"

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture, love my coworkers, awesome break rooms, PTO, overtime during the holiday.

Cons

Hard to keep a job there, very competitive, also unsure of what the future holds and disagree with the direction the company is headed.

Advice to Management

You are losing all of your hardest workers and the people that MAKE the company what it is today. I hope it all works out in the end.

Shutterfly2017-06-27

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

a lot of PTO Healthcare benefits flexible schedule enjoy the people I work with

Cons

Hard to grow Corporate politics Certain times of the year require working long hours

Advice to Management

Interact more with ALL departments

Shutterfly2017-03-12
  7. "Production Designer"

Former Contractor - Production Designer in Shakopee, MN
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Shutterfly for less than a year

Pros

Coworkers were mostly great. Free drinks and weekly food if you get there before it's gone. Decent training platform and knowledgeable staff.

Cons

Everyone except management is hired through temp agency. Next to impossible to get hired on full time. Lots of PTO for contract hires, long days/weeks during end of Q4 then 4-6 hour days after. Pay is low for what they expect you to know/do, esp in Q4, but to be fair the $15 is clearly stated on the job posting so if you apply I guess its your own fault for making peanuts. Dumb quotas, BUT quality first. Q4 2016 was... a huge dropping of the ball, customer service employees where dropping like flies. Way too many 'specials' offered and orders were not getting out. Customers were so upset they started calling the designers looking for their order. Shutterfly had an amazing solution for this profit loss... restructure!! Fired whole Production Design Team for the Tiny Prints brand. Brilliant!

Advice to Management

Keep paying your management all the money as this seems to be working great. Good luck!!

Shutterfly2017-03-20

"Seasonal Production Designer"

Former Employee - Production Designer in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Shutterfly full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a nice place to work, but not during the peak season when seasonal contractors are hired. Money is good because of the many extra hours, but it gets exhausting having 12 hour shifts 6 days a week. Supportive coworkers and free products. Used to have a fantastic break room: atm, vending, lots of seating, and microwaves/coffee makers, but I hear it is not like that anymore.

Cons

Very fast paced and chaotic, or at least for someone that needs to learn everything in a few weeks and then apply it instantly in the next three months. They say quality is the most important thing, but at the end quantity takes precedence.

Shutterfly2017-01-04

"Overall good place to work"

Production Designer in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at Shutterfly

Pros

Supportive team, nice facility, seasonal jobs good for recent graduates. Great training....good leadership! Leadership communicates well.

Cons

They don't keep a lot of people on past the holiday. Not a lot of time to get the hang of things....

Advice to Management

Hire sooner for Holiday.

Shutterfly2016-10-14
  10. "Love my job!"

Production Designer in Shakopee, MN

I have been working at Shutterfly for less than a year

Pros

Southerly takes care of it's employees. They are always celebrating something - employee birthdays, holidays, just because it's Tuesday is reason enough, really. Good people. Great entry designer job. Worth waiting to be hired on full-time. They give a LOT back to the community. Oh..and unlimited free pop.

Cons

You get great hours during their busy season, which lasts about 4 months, but if you're still under contract your hours can range any where from 40+ hours one week to 16 the next.

Shutterfly2016-04-01