Shutterstock Reviews

Updated 12 May 2021

3.3
Shutterstock CEO Stan Pavlovsky
Stan Pavlovsky
Pros
  • "Perks like free snacks, free lunch once a week , fitness benefits(in 59 reviews)

• "Working at the Empire State Building gets surreal sometimes if you are someone who has dreamt of working in the big apple(in 36 reviews)

• Cons
  • "High turnover at all levels including leadership leads to frequent strategy changes(in 18 reviews)

• "Work/Life balance can be an issue but still manageable(in 17 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year
      Featured Review

Fresh leadership is steering the ship in the right direction.

14 Jun 2020 - Platform Solutions in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

- great people, great team - office is the Empire State Building - Lunches - Fair compensation

Cons

- old company with dusty old bones. It can cause headaches, but fresh new leadership is changing that (well done L team). I’ve seen a huge improvement in open minds, risk taking, and strategic thinking, as well as new hires with technology and marketing backgrounds.

6 people found this review helpful

Shutterstock

Thanks for the feedback! We’re so excited that you are having a great experience at Shutterstock. We’re so excited about the opportunities in front of us and proud of the progress we’re making every day to transform our business and create a better experience for our employees.

2. 5.0

Happy

1 Apr 2021 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Cool company, food drinks, fun

Cons

Flow of leadership, constantly changes

Be the first to find this review helpful
    3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

They need better leadership and a LOT more diversity in senior roles

14 Jan 2021 - Support Function in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I worked out of the London office and loved it. The culture there was lovely and it was an enjoyable place to work.

Cons

The leadership out of the US is poor. There is limited diversity, all the women in power seemed to be pushed out and given it is 2021 would expect more from a publicly traded company.

5 people found this review helpful
    4. 3.0
      Current Employee

Great Place to work but no room for development.

26 Jan 2021 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work-life balance Great benefits and perks Great team culture

Cons

External hiring preferred to investing in promoting internal talents Focus on revenue growth for the company but they are making it harder to get the deserved reward. Lack on clarity and support on a lot of processes

1 person found this review helpful
    5. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Catching up, very capitalist

5 Jan 2021 - Production in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Generally nice workforce and work environment. Good compensation.

Cons

Very corporate, a bit old fashioned. Sales and numbers focus can feel cold. Poor talent retention.

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great Company - Best place to drive your career!

17 May 2020 - Human Resources Business Partner in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of opportunities and variety of work. Great rewards, benefits and recognition. Fun culture and creative people. Super cool product!

Cons

Constant change - but this brings lots of opportunities. If you enjoy fast pace, changing environments - this is the place for you!

1 person found this review helpful

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

No understanding

6 Jun 2020 - Picture Editor in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay and benefits were good

Cons

Earning less but doing everyone's work with no thanks at the end of it.

15 people found this review helpful

Shutterstock

Thank you for your feedback. Shutterstock values expertise and also understands the importance of new perspectives and exploring new ways of thinking. In order to transform a business, we have to have a collective mindset that is open to reimagining and rebuilding. Sometimes we will make mistakes - and that’s ok. What’s most important is that we learn, pivot quickly and try again. We appreciate your experience and your service at Shutterstock and hope you have found something new that you find rewarding.

8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Avoid

26 Mar 2020 - Sales Representative in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some real talent in the organisation and pays well

Cons

Exists in a state of perpetual confusion - makes money despite itself not because of

14 people found this review helpful

Shutterstock

Thank you for your feedback. Shutterstock’s one-of-a-kind platform, high-performing employees, and our experienced leadership team all work together to drive the Company’s success. Our achievements rely on our ability to stay ahead of customer and market demands, which means that priorities will sometimes shift and our ability to pivot quickly and adapt to change is essential. We’re excited about Shutterstock’s vision for the future and are confident that our product and our people will continue to elevate our company to new heights. -People Team

9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Passive aggressive middle management

24 Oct 2018 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Plenty of free food and drink, designed to prevent you having to leave the office and keep you sat at your desk working, but I suspect all the 'benefits' were really a feel good ruse to disguise the dire atmosphere.

Cons

A peculiar hierarchy based on length of service rather than any discernible talent, certainly in my department. Members of staff are discouraged from career progression, you are viewed as being employed for a particular role and that is it. Passive aggressive management style where undermining remarks and complete lack of interest in team members results in shockingly poor morale and staff feeling undervalued. The ridiculous recruitment process that takes months and results in prospective employees getting disheartened and accepting work elsewhere.

22 people found this review helpful
    10. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Dysfunctional organisation - beware and do your homework!

12 Jul 2019 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good quality product They spend a lot of time and invest in onboarding new employees you do get a 1 week induction in NYC HQ But it is full on so you get homework after training which can take 2-4 hours after work so you don’t get to really enjoy the trip There are some genuinely nice people who work there and help you by sharing their knowledge

Cons

Beware of false promises - it has the name but not the reputation, employees have a short life span here on average 18-24 months if not less. Even employees with long tenures are leaving in droves. Senior Leadership are mysteriously leaving every week there is someone leaving They use the NYC office experience to sell the dream in other markets when in fact it’s not reality. There are disconnected processes slot of the time very hard to get answers from people to do your job Management lack leadership and direction and are uninspiring Not a flexible working place for a supposed tech company they do not have a WFH policy Targets are unrealistic and unachievable No ongoing training or investment in your career or team There is no culture outside of the NYC office Stingy with expenses compared to other tech companies it is cut throat in the sales organisation for example people stealing deals from your territory and being sly about it. Verticalised teams allows one to be an expert at three vertical but if you’re in the corporate team it’s a very tough sell The hiring process is messy with internal people selling you the dream or not communicating the job expectations and benefits correctly and in turn being sold a lemon Hiring decisions are questionable, hiring people who lack in their experience and lie about people managing

17 people found this review helpful