Siemens Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

UK - All Cities

4.1

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "work/Life balance is poor this is the concern area" (in 98 reviews)

• "No cons as I enjoyed working there" (in 97 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company that cares for its staff"

Current Employee - Senior Applications Engineer in Poole, England
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Engineer in Poole, England

I have been working at Siemens full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The role is challenging yet rewarding and I work alongside a great team.
    Our working hours are flexible so I can work around family commitments and know that the company recognises the days you put long hours in. They are similarly very accepting of home working as long as it suits the work you need to do.
    The benefits are good and also flexible - you choose what you want to have.
    The company itself is proud to push all staff to act as if they own the company. Treat everyone fairly, recognise how we can improve the company and especially how to can reduce our carbon footprint; the company is keen to do what we can to help improve the planet whether in carbon reduction or aligning with charities around the world to help bring power, water, a future etc to all.

Cons

The learning curve is sharp; you are expected to jump in to a new role with both feet and get up to speed as soon as possible. As long as you have passion for a role then this shouldn't be an issue.

Advice to Management

Continue to respect staff and all levels and you'll continue to be rewarded. My colleagues and I are very dedicated to this company and it makes it a pleasure to work here.

28 Jun 2018 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Hello! What a fantastic review - it's so nice to hear your passion shine through for your role and that you are being such a good ambassador for Siemens.

2. "An excellent employer"

Former Employee - Fact-Finding Engineer in London, England
    Former Employee - Fact-Finding Engineer in London, England

I worked at Siemens full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

An excellent employer that looks after its work force and is the leader in the generating and energy fields.

Cons

A very large company that in the UK is controlled by the Newcastle Offices. They tend to look after their own prefering to employ locally.

Advice to Management

Do not rush to stramline the business with blanket redundances where numbers are more important than keeping experience and know how.

17 Jan 2019 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Hi, thank you for the five star review and for describing Siemens as an excellent employer. We really value your feedback and appreciate your comments!

3. "Awesome Workplace"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chippenham, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chippenham, East of England, England

I have been working at Siemens full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work Life balance. Up to date with latest technologies.

Cons

Slow process, too centralized. Chippenham is not a very interesting place to work.

11 Jan 2019 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Hi there. Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

4. "Excellent company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poole, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poole, England

I have been working at Siemens part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility and work life balance are fantastic
    Great benefits scheme
    Career development - lots of options due to size of company. Possible to move internally.

Cons

Can be slow moving as all large companies can be

Advice to Management

None

11 Jan 2019 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for highlighting areas such as flexibility and career development!

5. "Finance Graduate"

Current Employee - Finance Graduate in Frimley, England
    Current Employee - Finance Graduate in Frimley, England

I have been working at Siemens full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Help with CIMA
    -Prepare for working world
    -Range of Experiences

Cons

-Starting salary could be higher

3 Jan 2019 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Hi there. Thank you for taking the time out to write a review .

"Ideal for someone who want a 9-5"

Former Employee - Business IT in Bournemouth, England
    Former Employee - Business IT in Bournemouth, England

I worked at Siemens full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Partially flexible, come in 8am-9am and leave 4-5pm most days, can work from home if you need to, but must ask for permission. I would say its more of a traditional 9-5, suited to a very niche graduate who loves IT administration tasks

Nice people, friendly

Family Friendly

A job for life

Suited towards a local who would like to stay in Dorset

Great Pension plan

Good Investment Plan Buy 3 shares get 1 for free

Siemens is a fantastic brand and company, the score is due to the inaccuracy of the advert which caused the mismatch in what I love to do vs the actual role

Cons

I will avoid the typical corporate cons and move onto more role specific ones:

Office space is very old school, monitors hurt eyes as they are a low resolution

Far too relaxed (this one is obviously personal preference but if I'm looking at the clock wondering what on earth I should do, something is wrong). I went in expecting to be tested to the brink, instead I found myself shutting off.

A poor level of certified training in comparison to other graduate schemes targeting Business IT graduates.

This is in no way a technical role and doesn't require any technical experience, just experience of office package, SAP would be a plus

Lots of Ad hoc, do not expect to get on projects

Not a great location for graduates and interns

No real outside of work events

The whole paragraph on travel in the advert shouldn't be included. It is a privilege in Siemens and they have introduced a travel-ban, do not expect to go traveling outside of the UK on work.

I would have been better at my role after A-levels than after a degree sadly as I did a lot more excel back then.

Job advert sadly is nothing like the role - I hate to say at times I felt I was in a glorified IT support role which would explain the lower pay in comparison to its competitors

Other perks are all not worth it as it would be cheaper to get items outside of the company schemes than in.

Poor turnover rate of graduates

The most disappointing thing for me to see was prior years graduates stuck doing similar roles. I.E. Graduates finished the scheme are still in a similar position - this unlike many other schemes of its 'caliber' is not designed as a fast track scheme.

Advice to Management

The role advertises heavily on digitalisation and innovation with mention of Business Analysis, Project Management or Accounting management/ more business functions there is a clear natural split here between the 2 and thats what I expected when I entered the business.
    "May have some experience in: managing projects from start to finish, working in teams, building prototypes, dealing directly with customers and thinking strategically" - taken straight from the advert

I really thought this was a project based graduate scheme, not an IT support role where I would just support the central businesses. Please change this advertisement as this issue has been echoed. The end result is bad for the company and the prospective graduate as either one leaves or has to stick it out and hope to transfer after there 2 years. Please realise that if a graduate leaves mid year its very bad for them as well as most schemes start in September.

Please introduce graduates to each other throughout the campus! Graduates should meet on the first week, you shouldn't be meeting other graduates from your site 6 weeks in at the national graduate event for the first time!

7. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Warwick, West Midlands, England
    Former Employee - Intern in Warwick, West Midlands, England

I worked at Siemens (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience, well structured and given lots of responsibility.

Cons

Older general age group reduced sociability.

3 Jan 2019 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

8. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Business IT Graduate in Poole, England
    Current Employee - Business IT Graduate in Poole, England

I have been working at Siemens full-time

Pros

The people here are friendly, approachable, and knowledgeable. There is a lot of variety in my role. Innovation is actively encouraged, diverse range of development opportunities where you are rewarded for hardwork. There is a flexible working approach and a huge commitment to training, CSR,people's wellbeing and diversity/inclusion.

Cons

The complexity of Siemens takes a while to get your head around (you can expect in a global company) but that's not surprising as there so much that Siemens is involved with. Slow to change in some areas, tends to be process reliant.

3 Jan 2019 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Hi there. Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we're glad that you have had a positive experience overall.

9. "Positive feedback"

Former Employee - Assistant Systems Engineer in London, England
    Former Employee - Assistant Systems Engineer in London, England

I worked at Siemens full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Varied work load, diverse tasks
    Positive atmosphere

Cons

Can't think of any to date

29 Nov 2018 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Hello, thank you for taking the time to write a review.

10. "Former employee in manchester"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I worked at Siemens part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, flexible working available, on going development

Cons

Old school mentality, glass ceilings for certain people, not always about what you know sometimes it's about who!

Advice to Management

Look at your staff, often they're better than you think!

11 Jan 2019 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Hello. Thank you for writing a review.