Sierra Systems, an NTT DATA Company Victoria Reviews

Updated 10 Jan 2020

4.3
Sierra Systems, an NTT DATA Company CEO Bob Pryor (no image)
Bob Pryor
1 Rating
  1. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Business Systems Analysis Specialist in Victoria, BC
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Sierra Systems, an NTT DATA Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Treated like a mature, responsible person who is trusted to get the job done. Great career advancement support, fair compensation, great culture.

Cons

Can't think of any right now

2. "Decent History, Fresh Start"

Current Employee - Sales in Victoria, BC
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Sierra Systems, an NTT DATA Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Sierra offers clients a wide range of services. A lot of the contracts are industry average installations and support, but there are some very interesting AI, Machine Learning, UI projects people can get behind and be proud of. Good people in the Microsoft Practice

Cons

Bought by a Japanese mega-conglomerate in 2019, nobody knows where this new leadership will take them. The internal culture is room temperature oatmeal.

3. "Strong Culture"

Current Employee - Lead Consultant in Victoria, BC

I have been working at Sierra Systems, an NTT DATA Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been with Sierra for just over 4 years and love the culture. I've worked on great projects and when I hit the bench, I was able to get involved in some internal projects to add value. I am looking forward to another 4 years.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any. More social activities I guess but we've already had a few this year.

July 3, 2019HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback! We are glad you are enjoying your time here at Sierra. There are always internal projects to get involved in. Good to know you were able to take advantage of that! :)

"Best IT Company in Canada"

Current Employee - Lead Consultant in Victoria, BC

I have been working at Sierra Systems, an NTT DATA Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Sierra is by far the best (and healthiest) company I have worked for. From the recruiting process to on-boarding and team collaboration, this company is top-notch. The culture is extremely positive and employees are continuously supported and encouraged by colleagues and management. To give you a sense, we have an online recognition feed where people send out positive feedback to each other (for teamwork, excellence, initiative and integrity). This feed is used several times a day. As a consultant, there are numerous opportunities to leverage my skills and grow my capacity in business and tech. The portfolio of assignments that I get to work on are diverse, interesting and engaging. Sierra is a well-respected firm, and we have excellent, long-standing relationships with our clients. From new employees to staff who have worked with Sierra for 15+ years, people are consistently expressing how happy they are to work for such a great company.

Cons

None that I can see

December 10, 2018HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback! We are glad you are enjoying your experience in our Victoria office. It's great that you pointed out tenure as that is definitely something we are proud of at Sierra. Please do continue to share your thoughts and insights with us as we are continuously looking for ways to improve the employee experience.

"Excellent employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Victoria, BC
    No Opinion of CEO

Pros

I've been at Sierra Systems for about one year and have enjoyed positive culture, competent colleagues, and caring, dedicated management team. I'm so pleased that as an organization, we live by our goal of delighting our clients. This means more collaboration, co-design and appropriate strategic advice. It means working across teams to bring the right expertise independent of the logo on their employment letter.

Cons

My experience to date has been positive, so I don't have cons to note.

November 8, 2018HR Manager

Thank you for your detailed feedback on your experience with Sierra! We are proud of the team at Sierra. Our employees share time and again that they value the People they get to work with at Sierra. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the culture and environment we have fostered. The network that is available to support our consultants' success is immense. We continue to focus on innovating and ideation. Our innovation stories are shared in our annual innovation webinar which is open to the public at the end of the year.

"Business Analyst"

1.0
    Senior Consultant in Victoria, BC

I worked at Sierra Systems, an NTT DATA Company for more than a year

Pros

Office location is in good location.

Cons

Poorly run organization.

December 11, 2017HR Analyst

Hello – We track several employee metrics, including turnover, to ensure they are healthy when compared to industry benchmarks and our internal trends. We are proud of our very low turnover rate across Sierra Systems. These numbers are shared monthly with our leadership team and annually with the whole company. We understand the lack of information you would have received may explain why your observations about turnover are not aligned with the data we have. Marketing and HR, like all our business support teams, partner with our business leaders to support sales, delivery and our employee experience. The decisions we make and the programs we launch each year are driven by many factors including employee feedback received through formal and informal channels like our employee survey, our internal COO Council (made up of representatives from each office location), Yammer, regular day to day conversations and so on. In all our interactions, professionalism and respect are paramount and are woven into our values. The comments you have made about your former teammates are critical and are not aligned with the feedback we receive through Sierra Spirit, our annual employee survey and countless other mechanisms. Our Business Support teams are small and provide service to the entire organization. The level and quality of service provided by our Business Support teams have been recognized time and time again by employees across different locations. We acknowledge you feel differently about this based on your experience at Sierra. We encourage employees to have meaningful conversations with members of business support and operations teams whether it be a Career Advisor, someone on the Resource Management team, HR team, etc. We continue to be open to this kind of conversation with former and current employees.

"Great place to build a career, and awesome people to work with"

Current Employee - Consultant in Victoria, BC

I have been working at Sierra Systems, an NTT DATA Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The best part about Sierra, hands down, is the people. They're 95% really smart, driven people who are awesome at what they do. The 5% that doesn't fit that often doesn't stick around. Being able to rely on the people you work with to do what they need to do makes the day-to-day so much better. Also, I really get the sense that the senior leadership cares about the people and what they're doing. Sierra is very flexible when it comes to work-life balance, and that's extremely important to me. Plus their Career Adviser program is a huge boon to anyone wanting a career versus a job.

Cons

It can take a while for changes to happen, especially when rising through the ranks. Sierra has a culture of "if you want a promotion, do the work you want to be promoted into, then if it works out we'll give you the promotion", which can be a bit of a pain sometimes, but I can understand. Sometimes the only way to get the pay you're worth is to leave and re-join the company.

December 15, 2017HR Analyst

We cannot agree more about how great our people are! Teamwork is one of our core values and Sierrans really do bring that to life everyday and in all they do. We take a lot of pride in our Career Advisor/Career Owner program. While we are in charge of our own careers, it certainly helps to have guidance and support along the way. Each year, we recognize the most outstanding Career Advisor at Sierra with our very own Sequoia Award. Our annual compensation reviews are done with great diligence and many parties are involved in the decision making process to ensure pay increases are fair across the company. Many factors are considered including performance, market pay, internal equity and more. If the market value of a job has increased over time, rejoining a company later could mean a higher salary but not always.  We really leverage our employee feedback tools when we are strategizing for a new year. Our programs, practices and policies always evolve to better fit our employees’ needs. Often times, one area could be the root cause of other areas underperforming. Our efforts are directed at the root cause of the problem(s) to most effectively resolve them. We do appreciate feedback from employees on our progress!

8. "Consultant"

in Victoria, BC

I worked at Sierra Systems, an NTT DATA Company for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to work. Peoples are super talented and supporting. Exciting projects.

Cons

Can't think of any major cons. Challenging if you are not willing to work hard and learn fast.

December 15, 2017HR Analyst

Thank you for your review! A strong work ethic can definitely help you become (more) successful. 

9. "Great Entrepreneurial Spirit & Core Values"

4.0
     in Victoria, BC

I have been working at Sierra Systems, an NTT DATA Company for more than 3 years

Pros

As a growing national company, Sierra has continued to retain their entrepreneurial spirit, small company values and people focus. They encourage staff to reach for new opportunities, embrace training and emerging technologies, get involved in communities of interest, share knowledge with clients and peers.

Cons

limited promotion opportunities into senior leadership roles

"Good, not Great"

Current Employee - Principal in Victoria, BC
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Sierra Systems, an NTT DATA Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Sierra is a good company with lots of interesting work. I get the impression that the people actually care about you as a person and try to maintain a reasonable work-life balance for people. Opportunities for career growth.

Cons

You really need to fight for signficant changes in compensation. The company policy seems to be wait until they quit and see if they can do anything to make you stay. Most of the time the answer is rightfully - no. Also compensation for middle management is totally messed up. They aren't eligible or incented to go on the hourly models because they have a non-billable component to their job duties. As a result the people under them are often making more than they are!

July 16, 2015HR Analyst

Thank you for your feedback, it is great to hear from colleagues as it gives us an opportunity to adjust where necessary and have a positive impact on people’s careers! In our hiring process, cultural fit is very important to us which is one of the reasons why being at work is like being with family. We understand that in order for our employees to be engaged we need to support what they do outside of work. This is one of the reasons why we promote flexible work options such as working remotely and reduced work weeks. We are always looking for ways to help employees cultivate their growth both personally and professionally. To ensure we have a fair compensation model, we participate in annual salary surveys that allow us to compare our compensation structure with competing firms. That is only one component of determining compensation. Ultimately, compensation is based on multiple factors such as industry experience, performance and domain expertise to name a few. It is also designed to respond to trends in Sierra’s growth and profitability. We strive to recognize our people in different role types with appropriate compensation models. We appreciate that anomalies can crop up with any payment model and we adjust where we can to provide incentives that are meaningful and achievable to all staff.

Found 13 reviews