Skipton Building Society Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fantastic employer"

Former Employee - Facilities Manager in Skipton, England
    Former Employee - Facilities Manager in Skipton, England

I worked at Skipton Building Society full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great cultural, promote from within, plenty of opportunities for training and advancement.
    Flat structures and family atmosphere. Very caring of staff at all levels. Everyone on first names even top management.

Cons

Out in the middle of nowhere.
    Need to work hard, but will be rewarded.

Advice to Management

Keep listening

2. "Wonderful Roller-coaster of Emotions"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skipton, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skipton, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about working with Skipton is the people, everyone will say it and it's true. The people are the nicest people around and they are what will keep you there for years if not until retirement. They are wonderful to work with they make most days a pleasure.
    We have a great benefits system and lets of inclusive people with innovative minds.
    There's always some one to lend an ear and go for lunch with.

Cons

The pay isn't great.
    Personal development also isn't great.
    SLT don't really listen.
    Your face has to fit for you to get in with SLT - I'm saying this as someone who fit in! I've seen people who did not fit for no good reason. It was not nice.
    There's not much progression unless you want to be a Financial Advisor.
    Do not go to BCI, Credit Risk or Operations.

Advice to Management

Listen to how you can help.
    Please help your team.
    Take charge.
    There's a reason you're in that position.
    Please take time to listen to the individual.
    Everyone learns at a different.
    Salary is important just because you have it doesn't mean you shouldn't fight for it for others.
    Benefits are also important.
    - Please say thank you -
    We notice and it makes a huge difference.

3. "IT Security Consultant"

Current Employee - Security Consultant in Leeds, South East England, England
    Current Employee - Security Consultant in Leeds, South East England, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great environment and work ethics among all.

Cons

office is not located in a convenient place

4. "Great support, training and opportunity"

Current Employee - Financial Adviser in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Financial Adviser in Leeds, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As the title suggests, everyone at the head office is there to help and support you with anything you can think of. As a front line member of staff the support network behind you feels great and although the job can get lonely I can always pick up the phone to speak to someone to help.

Cons

The job in general (Financial Adviser) is always a lonely role and its no different here in that terms. The only drawbacks I can see currently though is the usual system problems which you get with most places however feedback is taken on board and even from starting 6 months ago I have seen a great deal of changes being made from feedback given.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing in regards to keeping us informed of future plans and direction of the company.

2 May 2018 – Head of FA Distribution

We are striving to ensure that systems & processes will be simpler and smoother for all colleagues and will continue to share progress & take on feedback going forward. Open dialogue with all... More

5. "5 years in and still loving it"

Current Employee - Pensions Manager in Skipton, England
    Current Employee - Pensions Manager in Skipton, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Feeling valued as an individual, the strong values and investment in employee well being, development opportunities, the "everyone counts" culture, great employee benefits, flexibility in working, lovely location of Head Office

Cons

So many facilities on-site mean its easy to forget to go outside at lunchtime.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees, they have passion for what they do and believe in the values of Skipton. Thank you for having the trust in all that work at Skipton and helping us all make a difference both in our working roles and investing in our community.

6. "Fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Skipton, England
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Skipton, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lovely staff, willing to help and support training.

Cons

Starting salary isn't the best but plenty of room to improve

7. "Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Taunton, England
    Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Taunton, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I feel valued as an employee, I feel that I'm listened to and treated fairly. I enjoy working here, the job is interesting and can be quite fun. You're encouraged to build friendships with the other employees and bond which is nice and good for morale. It's quite a relaxed atmosphere and I've always found people to be friendly and approachable. The training is good and tailored to your learning style, although it can be quick you can choose to go at your own pace.

They seem committed to living their values and putting customer needs first ahead of profit.

Cons

It can be a very fast learning curve and a lot of information to process, I enjoy the challenge but it might not be for everyone.

It can feel like a heavy work load at times and you find you're having to multi task a lot, it can be a bit overwhelming but you get used to it.

8. "Excellent branch cameraderie"

Former Employee - Customer Service and Sales Representative in London, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service and Sales Representative in London, England

I worked at Skipton Building Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent branch cameraderie, colleagues learn from and help each other, good internal communication

Cons

Poor training from H/O other than new starter, Heads of Department seem to be in Ivory Tower rather than understanding customer behaviour and run with it set unrealistic targets and standards. Working in a branch some distance from others, no progression unless willing to move. Definate North/South divide.

Advice to Management

Let the branch staff build relationships with customers instead of driving the sales process every time we see them. It offends customers and they go else where. Understand we are solving a problem for the customer rather than outright selling to them.

"A truly great place to work"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Skipton, England
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Skipton, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked here for over 25 years and have never wanted to work anywhere else. There are so many opportunities to move between teams and progress your career - you will never be bored.
    We keep an emphasis on maintaining excellent customer journeys and there is an emphasis on getting good customer outcomes right.
    Strong values which are lived day to day by colleagues at all levels.
    Collaborative culture with a One Team ethos.
    Platinum Investors in People awarded this year.
    Fabulous building and environment to work in with really good facilities - subsidized restaurant with excellent food.
    Good rewards package including excellent company pension contributions.
    Good work / life balance with supportive management team.
    Open communication encouraged with a feedback culture.

Cons

I can't think of anything at the moment that I would change - love it here.

19 Dec 2017 – Culture, Engagement & Performance Lead

Thank you for sharing your experience of working at Skipton. The Society is keen to continue to develop with the feedback it receives and it is great that it is resulting in such a positive... More

10. "Great organisation to work for"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Skipton, England
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Skipton, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Management are very open to employees views - annual employee survey and management do review the results and comments and take them on board . Rewards are pretty much in line with the overall financial sector. Values & culture fit well for the business strategy - it is impressive to see an organisation where the people strategy, reflects the business strategy - clearly see the people as the ones who achieve the strategy.

Cons

Flexibility - there needs to be a set procedure in place. At the moment it is left to the managers discretion which doesn't allow equal opportunities for all employees.

Advice to Management

Walk the floor - you will be seen as more open if you do!

4 Jan 2018 – Group Chief Executive

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review.
    We’ve been working hard and really listening to understand what’s important to our colleagues so it’s great to hear how well we’re doing and about... More