Skipton Building Society Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.4
Skipton Building Society Group Chief Executive David Cutter
David Cutter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "5 years in and still loving it"

Current Employee - Pensions Manager in Skipton, England
    Current Employee - Pensions Manager in Skipton, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Feeling valued as an individual, the strong values and investment in employee well being, development opportunities, the "everyone counts" culture, great employee benefits, flexibility in working, lovely location of Head Office

Cons

So many facilities on-site mean its easy to forget to go outside at lunchtime.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees, they have passion for what they do and believe in the values of Skipton. Thank you for having the trust in all that work at Skipton and helping us all make a difference both in our working roles and investing in our community.

2. "Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Taunton, England
    Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Taunton, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I feel valued as an employee, I feel that I'm listened to and treated fairly. I enjoy working here, the job is interesting and can be quite fun. You're encouraged to build friendships with the other employees and bond which is nice and good for morale. It's quite a relaxed atmosphere and I've always found people to be friendly and approachable. The training is good and tailored to your learning style, although it can be quick you can choose to go at your own pace.

They seem committed to living their values and putting customer needs first ahead of profit.

Cons

It can be a very fast learning curve and a lot of information to process, I enjoy the challenge but it might not be for everyone.

It can feel like a heavy work load at times and you find you're having to multi task a lot, it can be a bit overwhelming but you get used to it.

3. "Excellent branch cameraderie"

Former Employee - Customer Service and Sales Representative in London, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service and Sales Representative in London, England

I worked at Skipton Building Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent branch cameraderie, colleagues learn from and help each other, good internal communication

Cons

Poor training from H/O other than new starter, Heads of Department seem to be in Ivory Tower rather than understanding customer behaviour and run with it set unrealistic targets and standards. Working in a branch some distance from others, no progression unless willing to move. Definate North/South divide.

Advice to Management

Let the branch staff build relationships with customers instead of driving the sales process every time we see them. It offends customers and they go else where. Understand we are solving a problem for the customer rather than outright selling to them.

4. "A truly great place to work"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Skipton, England
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Skipton, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked here for over 25 years and have never wanted to work anywhere else. There are so many opportunities to move between teams and progress your career - you will never be bored.
    We keep an emphasis on maintaining excellent customer journeys and there is an emphasis on getting good customer outcomes right.
    Strong values which are lived day to day by colleagues at all levels.
    Collaborative culture with a One Team ethos.
    Platinum Investors in People awarded this year.
    Fabulous building and environment to work in with really good facilities - subsidized restaurant with excellent food.
    Good rewards package including excellent company pension contributions.
    Good work / life balance with supportive management team.
    Open communication encouraged with a feedback culture.

Cons

I can't think of anything at the moment that I would change - love it here.

19 Dec 2017 – Culture, Engagement & Performance Lead

Thank you for sharing your experience of working at Skipton. The Society is keen to continue to develop with the feedback it receives and it is great that it is resulting in such a positive... More

5. "Great organisation to work for"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Skipton, England
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Skipton, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Management are very open to employees views - annual employee survey and management do review the results and comments and take them on board . Rewards are pretty much in line with the overall financial sector. Values & culture fit well for the business strategy - it is impressive to see an organisation where the people strategy, reflects the business strategy - clearly see the people as the ones who achieve the strategy.

Cons

Flexibility - there needs to be a set procedure in place. At the moment it is left to the managers discretion which doesn't allow equal opportunities for all employees.

Advice to Management

Walk the floor - you will be seen as more open if you do!

4 Jan 2018 – Group Chief Executive

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review.
    We’ve been working hard and really listening to understand what’s important to our colleagues so it’s great to hear how well we’re doing and about... More

"Stuck in the past"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England

I worked at Skipton Building Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is generally good.
    Nice rural location - makes a change from big cities.
    Colleagues are nice overall.
    Canteen.

Cons

Micromanagement.
    Poor salaries and benefits.
    Offices need an upgrade.
    Lack of commerciality
    Lagging behind rivals like Yorkshire and Leeds Building Societies.

Advice to Management

Freshen up the Board and Senior Leadership team. Too many people been there for too long. Needs fresh impetus and ideas. Take a look at YBS for example. New Chief Executive and FD in last 12 months with a variety of credible experience.

9 Nov 2017 – Resourcing Manager

We’re sorry your experience working at Skipton wasn’t as positive as others have said. We’d like to reassure you that we do listen and will continue to listen to our colleagues feedback, and work... More

7. "Very supportive culture"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Skipton, England
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Skipton, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Encouraged to share ideas, suggest ways we can improve the business, supported with your development and encouraged to support others

Cons

Pay is not the best although the benefits are comparable with other similar companies and they are reviewed fairly regularly.

12 Sep 2017 – Head of People Services

Thanks for your post and apologies for taking so long to respond. We are delighted to hear your positive comments and encouraged that you feel able to express your views as we are committed to... More

8. "Best place I have worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skipton, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skipton, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can be yourself
    People-oriented
    Leaders don't have big egos
    Lots of development opportunities
    Not hierarchical
    Customer service excellent
    Good benefits
    Lots of talented people
    Skipton do lots for the community

Cons

Ambition can outstrip ability/resource to deliver
    Pockets of dinosaurs hold us back

Advice to Management

Maintain people and customer focus and the financials will follow

9. "New Lending and Retention Call Taker"

Current Employee - New Lending and Retention Call Taker in Skipton, England
    Current Employee - New Lending and Retention Call Taker in Skipton, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time

Pros

Good work ethos with values I believe in. A company who really cares for its workers as well as its clients

Cons

Lieu time cannot be claimed if working less than 15 minutes beyond your scheduled finish time, even though you cant 'hang up' or terminate or pass a call on to another colleague.

Advice to Management

Reconsider your policy of not allowing people to reclaim lieu time unless they are on the phone for more than 15 minutes after their finish time.

"Easy to get in, hard to progress"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Skipton, England
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Skipton, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Other benefits aside from pay are decent.

Cons

Full of cliques. If your face doesn't fit, or you are not into dating managers then don't expect much in ways of career progression. It doesn't matter about your ability or capability to do a role, it's more about building "relatonships" (see above)- there are a lot of people completely in the wrong roles and management cannot seem to handle this.
    Its easy to join SBS/SFS as it seems the majority of new positions are filled with external rather than internal candidates, and many times I've witnessed managers go direct to market without giving existing staff a chance. I have seen a manager refuse an internal candidate as "they are a paki", and likewise witnessed a mortgage get rejected for the same reason. For the location of SFS, their ethnicity is not representative.
    Their performance reviews are shocking: managers don't seem to know how to undertake them or follow the framework that they had launched after they got rid of SFS. Its just a mess, and on top of it there are managers who just make up their own which makes it impossible to engage with. Cross-sharing of knowledge is pretty much non existent, and is deliberately withheld as there is a fear of people becoming better than management (and they would rather you spend hours doing a task on the wrong tools/software, rather than spend 20 quid on a license for the correct tools) .
    There seems to be an excessive number of managers/senior managers, and inefficient meetings. The FA's are also quite abusive at times

Advice to Management

Upskill your staff, and encourage progression: this would save us alot of money both in time wastage and errors!

5 Apr 2017 – Resourcing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review and bringing your views to our attention. We appreciate that you have concerns around career progression but wish to be clear that we do not... More