Found 206 of over 218 reviews
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
The latest conversations about Finance
Got a burning question about Skipton Building Society? Just ask!
On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Skipton Building Society employees and get real answers from people on the inside.
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Low pay compared to competitors" (in 9 reviews)
- "Salary not as high as market avg" (in 8 reviews)
- "Senior management are very good but not enough rotation of department heads etc. so developed a silo mentality and are can be more interested in protecting their little corner so tend to be the blockers on getting things done." (in 5 reviews)
- "Managers pick and choose who they want to do well with not much support for everyone" (in 5 reviews)
- "b!tching and bullying were rife." (in 4 reviews)
- 3.027 Nov 2023AdvisorCurrent Employee, more than 5 years
Flexibility Free Coffee machines Free Parking (if you're early enough) Some good benefits
Since the arrival of the new CEO, the company in my opinion has drastically gone downhill. Well-respected colleagues who have worked at the society for a long time are suddenly leaving in mass. Social events are no longer a thing - in the name of being more efficient, this massively impacts cross-team building, as there is no longer any chance to communicate. Changes have been made to departments/Teams etc. without any communication at all - Literally logged on one day to see my job title had changed and not even my leader knew about it. In a nutshell, the overall atmosphere at work is very negative, changes are being made without any form of communication and senior leaders don't appear to listen or show any empathy,3
- 2.03 Dec 2023AdviserCurrent Employee, more than 3 years
The great colleagues that remain that were hired under the old company values.
Huge culture shift under the new CEO. No longer like a mutual building society more like working in a hard sales role. Everyone is miserable, staff leaving weekly. Open admittance we are now numbers not people. Redundancies now common.1
- 4.05 Dec 2023Team LeaderCurrent Employee
On the whole, really supportive of the people that work there and good social/community initiatives.
Recent changes at ExCo level has reduced the level of support you feel. Feels more like a bank maximising share price, less like a mutual that values their people.
- 2.017 Nov 2023AnalystFormer Employee, more than 1 yearSkipton, England
Work life balance. Good pension. Good people.
New CEO has ripped apart the blueprint of what made Skipton a good place to work. Culture is now toxic and a wave of redundancies has left teams understaffed and overwhelmed. Things like team volunteering and office socials have been scrapped in the name of efficiency, leading to an all work, no play environment.4
- 5.019 Sept 2023Senior AnalystCurrent Employee, more than 8 yearsSkipton, England
Good place to work, great benefits like family policy maternity policy, additional holidays for each year of service up to an additional 5 days
Pay might not be as competitive but the benefits do make up for it
Skipton Building Society Reviews FAQs
Skipton Building Society has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 218 reviews left anonymously by employees. 82% of employees would recommend working at Skipton Building Society to a friend and 72% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.
82% of Skipton Building Society employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Skipton Building Society 4.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.1 for culture and values and 3.8 for career opportunities.