Skipton Building Society Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fantastic employer"

Former Employee - Facilities Manager in Skipton, England
    Former Employee - Facilities Manager in Skipton, England

I worked at Skipton Building Society full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great cultural, promote from within, plenty of opportunities for training and advancement.
    Flat structures and family atmosphere. Very caring of staff at all levels. Everyone on first names even top management.

Cons

Out in the middle of nowhere.
    Need to work hard, but will be rewarded.

Advice to Management

Keep listening

2. "Good starting point"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skipton, England

I worked at Skipton Building Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great start off to work and training was good

Cons

Managers pick and choose who they want to do well with not much support for everyone

3. "A safe bet"

I worked at Skipton Building Society full-time

Pros

Personal development, colleagues and comfortable work environment

Cons

Many managers have been there too long (especially directors)

Advice to Management

Move on, get some new ideas.

4. "Good place to be"

Current Employee - Customer Relationship Consultant in Colne, North West England, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At Skipton they genuinely care about staff and customers. There is a lot to learn but many opportunities and the support you will receive in getting where you want to be is brilliant.

Cons

There is a lot to learn and some times it feels as is there is not enough time in the day but there are many pros which out-weigh this.

5. "Varied"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skipton, England

I worked at Skipton Building Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice working environment
    Flexibility
    Benefits package
    Cafe
    Employee sounding board
    Loved it there but left for personal reasons.
    Would go back if I could
    So many colleagues are fab!! Made friends for life

Cons

Some people have been there too long doing things the way they have always been.
    Some people need to be reviewed in their current role and maybe more movement to get ‘fresh blood’ cross skilling colleagues and sharing best practice. Let’s make that positive :)
    Sometimes a policy is taken too literal and needs to be adapted to help the individual it impacts.
    Some people don’t always do the right thing; some people do and not for the right reasons.

Advice to Management

Remember there is a human at the end of your decisions and behaviour. Not just a colleague that works 35 hours. You’re impacting lives!!!

6. "Wonderful Roller-coaster of Emotions"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skipton, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skipton, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about working with Skipton is the people, everyone will say it and it's true. The people are the nicest people around and they are what will keep you there for years if not until retirement. They are wonderful to work with they make most days a pleasure.
    We have a great benefits system and lets of inclusive people with innovative minds.
    There's always some one to lend an ear and go for lunch with.

Cons

The pay isn't great.
    Personal development also isn't great.
    SLT don't really listen.
    Your face has to fit for you to get in with SLT - I'm saying this as someone who fit in! I've seen people who did not fit for no good reason. It was not nice.
    There's not much progression unless you want to be a Financial Advisor.
    Do not go to BCI, Credit Risk or Operations.

Advice to Management

Listen to how you can help.
    Please help your team.
    Take charge.
    There's a reason you're in that position.
    Please take time to listen to the individual.
    Everyone learns at a different.
    Salary is important just because you have it doesn't mean you shouldn't fight for it for others.
    Benefits are also important.
    - Please say thank you -
    We notice and it makes a huge difference.

7. "IT Security Consultant"

Current Employee - Security Consultant in Leeds, South East England, England
    Current Employee - Security Consultant in Leeds, South East England, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great environment and work ethics among all.

Cons

office is not located in a convenient place

8. "Great support, training and opportunity"

Current Employee - Financial Adviser in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Financial Adviser in Leeds, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As the title suggests, everyone at the head office is there to help and support you with anything you can think of. As a front line member of staff the support network behind you feels great and although the job can get lonely I can always pick up the phone to speak to someone to help.

Cons

The job in general (Financial Adviser) is always a lonely role and its no different here in that terms. The only drawbacks I can see currently though is the usual system problems which you get with most places however feedback is taken on board and even from starting 6 months ago I have seen a great deal of changes being made from feedback given.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing in regards to keeping us informed of future plans and direction of the company.

Skipton Building Society Response

2 May 2018 – Head of FA Distribution

We are striving to ensure that systems & processes will be simpler and smoother for all colleagues and will continue to share progress & take on feedback going forward. Open dialogue with all... More

9. "5 years in and still loving it"

Current Employee - Pensions Manager in Skipton, England
    Current Employee - Pensions Manager in Skipton, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Feeling valued as an individual, the strong values and investment in employee well being, development opportunities, the "everyone counts" culture, great employee benefits, flexibility in working, lovely location of Head Office

Cons

So many facilities on-site mean its easy to forget to go outside at lunchtime.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees, they have passion for what they do and believe in the values of Skipton. Thank you for having the trust in all that work at Skipton and helping us all make a difference both in our working roles and investing in our community.

10. "Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Taunton, England
    Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Taunton, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I feel valued as an employee, I feel that I'm listened to and treated fairly. I enjoy working here, the job is interesting and can be quite fun. You're encouraged to build friendships with the other employees and bond which is nice and good for morale. It's quite a relaxed atmosphere and I've always found people to be friendly and approachable. The training is good and tailored to your learning style, although it can be quick you can choose to go at your own pace.

They seem committed to living their values and putting customer needs first ahead of profit.

Cons

It can be a very fast learning curve and a lot of information to process, I enjoy the challenge but it might not be for everyone.

It can feel like a heavy work load at times and you find you're having to multi task a lot, it can be a bit overwhelming but you get used to it.