Skipton Building Society Reviews

4.3
Skipton Building Society Group Chief Executive David Cutter
David Cutter
Pros
Cons
  • "Doesn't pay quite as well as Leeds city centre, but the advantages definitely make up for it,(in 4 reviews)

• "The exec team have to get the balance between putting customers first and being a profitable business(in 3 reviews)

1. COVID-19

"Working at Skipton."

Current Employee - Customer Relationship Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working at Skipton is like a family. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. The company has been very informative during the Covid-19. Being in the branch is a close knit team and working well together.

Cons

None that I know of.

Continue reading
  2. "Best company I ever worked for"

Current Employee - Customer Service Consultant in Guildford, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time

Pros

Good Salary Looking after their Staff

Cons

Not many opportunities to progress

3. "Best company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Data Scientist in Skipton, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time for less than a year

Pros

Challenge is a way of life at skipton and built into the values. There is early exposure to committee meetings where you will learn the ways of the committee. There is a lot of scope for interesting work.

Cons

Technically show moving but that is changing.

Continue reading
  4. "Great employer, great team"

Current Employee - Data Engineer in Skipton, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people here are great. It's a very open and supportive culture, and people do seem to genuinely care, rather than just making the right noises. Also, for a 'traditional' institution like a Building Society there is a decent pace of adoption for new ways of working and new tech.

Cons

The pure financial benefits aren't great, but I would say that's offset by the working environment. There's a lot to be said for being happy in your role vs a few percent more on your salary offer. If you end up not enjoying your job I can't imagine you would stay here for money.

5. "Fantastic company"

Current Employee - Completion Consultant in Ilkley, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time

Pros

Everyone is valued and treated with respect. Development is encouraged and supported to whatever extent you choose.

Cons

Progression is competitive. Productivity is monitored very closely.

6. "Awful"

1.0
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Skipton Building Society full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Soft skills training was good

Cons

Poor salary, favouritism, bias, sexual harassment and bullying ignored by senior management

7. "An outstanding employer"

5.0
    Current Employee - Customer Relationship Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society part-time for less than a year

Pros

Totally focused on employees & customers in their actions not just their marketing. A truly inclusive company who live their values on a daily basis

Cons

I genuinely haven't found any downside!

"Bang Average"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Skipton, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Skipton Building Society full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Company holidays, full one hour lunches and two 10 minutes breaks a day. Good food facilities and parking.

Cons

Like any boring office, too many pals brigades that dictate everything that goes on, work place bullying and sexual harassment are an underlying problem for younger staff because they hire so many people straight out of school or 6th form.

Skipton Building Society Response

May 21, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review I’m sorry your experience of working at Skipton wasn’t as positive as others have said I’d like to reassure you that we do listen to our colleagues and are really proud of our 89% Employee Engagement scores which are significantly above industry average I am very concerned at your comments in relation to bullying and sexual harassment and wish to be clear that Skipton do not tolerate or condone this type of behaviour under any circumstances. As an employer committed to our colleagues and continual improvements, mandatory training on the Society’s whistleblowing process is rolled out to all colleagues every year, signposting how to report any matter of concern in strict confidence. We have also increased our focus on diversity and inclusion, and creating a culture where colleagues understand how poor behaviours can impact on individuals, and encouraging people to raise concerns if they experience them or see them happening. It is only by tackling these issues as and when they arise that we can ensure a healthy and productive working environment. I’d really welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns in confidence and to understand what contributed to your experience by encouraging you to contact me at zahoor.ahmad@skipton.co.uk

9. "SBS"

4.0
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Settle, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time

Pros

Great for development and growth

Cons

Not the best salary around

"Modern, forward-thinking organisation with huge potential if efforts are placed in the right areas"

4.0
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Skipton, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Good progression plans and the opportunity to gain industry-leading qualifications. 2. Good work/life balance, especially if you live locally. Recently adopted a relaxed dress policy for non-client contact roles which is just awesome to see. Technology recently upgraded to more modern systems. Proactive in really trying to get with modern times and always engaging staff within teams. There is always an opportunity for colleagues to speak up and get involved. 3. Good opportunities to get involved in lots of different function/team events, good socialising and proactive initiatives to motivate staff. There are genuinely good people who are passionate and always willing to help. There is a strong sense Skipton do care about their clients and staff. 4. Some senior management is very approachable, positive and you don't get the sense of hierarchy in my opinion, unlike many other organisations. You get the impression that they are just human beings like you and I and that it feels more family orientated without position and power clouding judgement, which is brilliant. Whilst the work can be intense, there is good morale and a willingness to always improve and listen to staff on the front line. Skipton is also very proactive in keeping the staff well informed.

Cons

1. Whilst it may sound pedantic, car parking is a major issue for colleagues at Head Office. It's nowhere near adequate or practical for the number of colleagues at the Bailey Office and visitors from in-branch who have a genuine need to drive to work. Whilst facilities management have acknowledged they are trying new technologies to help make the system more efficient, it should be treated with more urgency than it currently is. Due to the Head Office location and the wider area, public transport is often not practical for many who come in from surrounding often rural areas. Skipton encourages colleagues to commute by train or similar methods but in practice, it is not a good enough incentive and it is much quicker to drive which is why it is always oversubscribed. The multi-story car park needs at least another floor and the Society should be harder on Craven Council preventing them from doing this as it just isn't practical for colleagues or residents on surrounding streets. The Society encourages colleagues to not park in surrounding streets but until they provide adequate onsite parking this will always be an issue. The top floor of the multi-story is often left half-empty due to many colleagues choosing to work from home on days where they can't park on-site and yet colleagues who don't yet have a parking pass still aren't allowed to park on-site when they should be able to. Newer colleagues often have to wait well over 2 years to obtain a parking pass due to a huge waiting list and some colleagues are allowed passes when they only live 10-15 minutes' walk away and don't even car share which doesn't make sense. Skipton could try to encourage greater use of car sharing for colleagues who live in the Skipton area, with more incentives and to re-review working from home which would alleviate demand massively. Skipton currently tries to address the issue by leasing spaces in the Castle car park opposite Head Office and whilst it is helpful, all the spaces are often gone by 8:15 am after which colleagues who are too late are forced to pay to park there and often turn around when they realise the leased spaces are gone and park in the surrounding streets instead, which especially when there are free spaces on the top floor of the multi story must be rather frustrating. Whilst there is every good intention in leasing extra staff parking, it isn't enough to resolve it on its own and there could be better, more consistent communication in trying to improve the situation and making better use of capacity, from the facilities management whenever concerns are raised. 2. Not all of the senior management is approachable and it can sometimes feel like a bit of a popularity contest which risks hampering development for newer colleagues if it is left not talked about openly and honestly without fear of judgment. Skipton are very self aware and proactive with supporting colleague wellbeing, but just a bit more could be done in practice to help support what they are trying to do in this space. 3. There is a lot to take in when starting and it can be a little bit too intense at times especially if you're completely new, whilst there is patience and understanding, it could still be better structured in terms of training when new to the role. But this is a criticism I’m sure Skipton would take on board if delivered in the right way.

Found 82 reviews