Skipton Building Society Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Skipton Building Society Group Chief Executive David Cutter
David Cutter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Best company I have worked for so far"

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time

Pros

Skipton genuinely believes in delivering the right customer outcomes without putting people and customers under any pressure. What I love about this company is that there is no hierarchy culture and you are always treated with respect regardless of your job role. The Leadership team provides clear direction and any changes are thought through before they are implemented. The company invests a lot of time and money into people development . I have only worked for the society for just over 2 years and I have developed my skills so much over this priod that I can honestly say that i go home everyday with a great sense of achievement whether it's from helping a collegue or a customer.

Cons

Career opportunities are limited for branch staff.

Advice to Management

Bring back large town allowances and this allowance doesn't have to be a big amount. As long as it covers some of the parking costs in city centre branches, it would help keep existing employees and recruit new part timers. I know some people park half an hour away and walk to the branch to avoid daily costs so they are tired before they even start their day. Other than this small thing my advice to management would be to keep up the good work and invest in some new technology to move on with the times..... Why not localise some of the assessments and courses to save on travel costs to the head office and put that money to better use. May be hire some regional assessors instead ??

2. "Software Developer"

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The environment including the building and location.

Cons

Tendency to focus on employees weaknesses rather than their strengths.

3. "Good company"

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time

Pros

The people and the environment

Cons

Stuck in the dark ages on some things - hard to take change forward

5. "Give it a miss"

Pros

Good amount of holiday entitlement

Cons

Unprofessional management
    Hiring managers openly discuss and ridicule candidate CVs
    Poor career progression

Advice to Management

Wake up to the unprofessional culture in some departments

27 Jun 2017 – Resourcing Manager

Thank you for posting your review. In order to give us the opportunity to investigate your observations around an open discussion of a Candidates CV we would ask you to contact our Resourcing Team at... More

6. "New Lending and Retention Call Taker"

Current Employee - New Lending and Retention Call Taker in Skipton, England
    Current Employee - New Lending and Retention Call Taker in Skipton, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time

Pros

Good work ethos with values I believe in. A company who really cares for its workers as well as its clients

Cons

Lieu time cannot be claimed if working less than 15 minutes beyond your scheduled finish time, even though you cant 'hang up' or terminate or pass a call on to another colleague.

Advice to Management

Reconsider your policy of not allowing people to reclaim lieu time unless they are on the phone for more than 15 minutes after their finish time.

7. "Great place to work if they could work out the approach and pay."

Pros

Skipton in the most part is a friendly place to work, very process driven and very risk averse. The building is well maintained and the on-site cafe is fairly good.

Cons

Pay is not close to market rates, they rely on people who dont want to travel to Leeds or Bradford to keep wages lower than market average. There is the "Skipton shrug" the attitude that they don't do it that way so lack vision and desire to change process from how it's always been done.

Advice to Management

Listen more to your staff and be more open to change.

"Finance"

Current Employee - Finance
    Current Employee - Finance

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits package with holiday days that rise each year and shorter working hours.

Nice head office and friendly people to work with

Cons

Low pay and not many opportunities, as they seem to promote the next in line

Advice to Management

concentrate on real efficiencies and reduce spending around the business

"Manager"

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at Skipton Building Society (More than 5 years)

Pros

staff at lower levels work hard

Cons

If your face fits with senior management then you are OK but if it doesn't they will make your like hell. Company is going backwards

28 Apr 2017 – Divisional Manager

We appreciate your feedback and I am sorry it didn’t work out for you at Skipton. I agree we have many dedicated and hard working colleagues who do a fantastic job of representing our brand. We do... More

10. "Easy to get in, hard to progress"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Skipton, England
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Skipton, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Other benefits aside from pay are decent.

Cons

Full of cliques. If your face doesn't fit, or you are not into dating managers then don't expect much in ways of career progression. It doesn't matter about your ability or capability to do a role, it's more about building "relatonships" (see above)- there are a lot of people completely in the wrong roles and management cannot seem to handle this.
    Its easy to join SBS/SFS as it seems the majority of new positions are filled with external rather than internal candidates, and many times I've witnessed managers go direct to market without giving existing staff a chance. I have seen a manager refuse an internal candidate as "they are a paki", and likewise witnessed a mortgage get rejected for the same reason. For the location of SFS, their ethnicity is not representative.
    Their performance reviews are shocking: managers don't seem to know how to undertake them or follow the framework that they had launched after they got rid of SFS. Its just a mess, and on top of it there are managers who just make up their own which makes it impossible to engage with. Cross-sharing of knowledge is pretty much non existent, and is deliberately withheld as there is a fear of people becoming better than management (and they would rather you spend hours doing a task on the wrong tools/software, rather than spend 20 quid on a license for the correct tools) .
    There seems to be an excessive number of managers/senior managers, and inefficient meetings. The FA's are also quite abusive at times

Advice to Management

Upskill your staff, and encourage progression: this would save us alot of money both in time wastage and errors!

5 Apr 2017 – Resourcing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review and bringing your views to our attention. We appreciate that you have concerns around career progression but wish to be clear that we do not... More

"Customer Review Advisor"

Current Employee - Customer Review Advisor in Middlesbrough, England
    Current Employee - Customer Review Advisor in Middlesbrough, England

I have been working at Skipton Building Society (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with a great team, treating customers as "peopl e" and no pressure from Skipton to "mis-sell" Friendly atmosphere and wages not bad either! Hard work recognised

Cons

Would rather work all day Saturday and have one day off through the week. Paperwork often duplicated which is really unnecessary.

Advice to Management

Working on a Saturday morning sometimes does not suit customers needs. Perhaps working all day Saturday would be better and offer staff a day off through the week.

28 Apr 2017 – Divisional Manager

Hi Thank you for the comments. We're working on a pilot for more flexible hours, so watch this space. Regards