Skipton Building Society Reviews

Found 117 of over 124 reviews

4.2
Skipton Building Society Group Chief Executive David Cutter
David Cutter
Pros
  • "Flexible options for work life balance(in 7 reviews)

• "Good benefits and holidays package along with this(in 6 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Rewards package less competitive than Leeds/Manchester(in 5 reviews)

• "Senior management are very good but not enough rotation of department heads etc(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great place to work

Sep 2, 2021 - Team Leader in Skipton, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

A real culture of doing the right thing for colleagues and customers. You can tell it’s a mutual owned by its members and not just chasing the bottom line for the benefit of shareholders. There’s plenty of opportunities to develop yourself and if you put the energy and effort in the rewards follow.

Cons

The location of the HO seems to make recruitment a challenge. Maybe offering more remote working options would help with this.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee

A Great Place to Work

Aug 20, 2021 - IT Service Desk Analyst in Skipton, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Management make a clear point of if you want to progress they will bend over backwards to help you as long as you work hard. Remote working.

Cons

Can't think of any at all.

3. 3.0

Good experience

Aug 26, 2021 - Customer Service Representative in Bournemouth, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Ppl are nice generally , but HQ is too far away

Cons

Old fashion mentality run building society

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great internship

Aug 23, 2021 - Digital Content Developer in Skipton, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Community feel - Really got stuck in with the job - Effectively working from home - Bonus - Good management

Cons

- Work/Life balance - Sometimes stressful

5. 5.0

D

Jul 21, 2021 - Credit Management in Skipton, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good team to be involved in

Cons

Pay isn't brilliant for the work you do

6. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

The job’s good, team and leader good, but culture and senior management…not so much

Jul 19, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Skipton, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- My Team Leader and team were very supportive - They throw some pretty good parties - Good bonuses usually

Cons

- Low pay compared to competitors - Senior Leadership do a lot of talking and a lot of decision making without knowing anything about the teams or services they impact, then claim no responsibility when it backfires - Skipton Direct (the customer operations and call centre area) is full of micro-managers - VERY cliquey, opportunities to progress or develop will only be offered to those whose “faces fit” - Unless you have the words “senior”, “leader” or “head of” in your job title, it can be very difficult to get any ideas listened to, a lot of emphasis is placed on the seniority of the individual when assessing credibility - Overly politicised workplace, there are competency tests sent to the entire business about political movements and entire seminars done by HR senior leaders presenting their own political ideologies as fact, which makes for a very uncomfortable environment if you find yourself disagreeing with anything said - Very confusing performance framework, so unclear as to how to achieve good performance ratings

Skipton Building Society Response

Resourcing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Skipton Building Society. We appreciate this and are always open to honest, constructive feedback, helping us understand our colleague’s overall experience, so we can continually focus on the moments that matter to them. As an organisation we have a deep rooted culture based on trust and ownership underpinned by a one team mindset. We are disappointed to hear that your personal experience was not always a positive one. We would welcome a conversation with you, to further understand your concerns and listen to any suggestions you may have on how we can address them. If you’re open to this, please contact our Culture, Engagement and Wellbeing Lead Maria James @ maria.james@skipton.co.uk.

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Analyst

Jun 4, 2021 - Digital Analyst in Skipton, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun, Great colleague, People focussed

Cons

Lack of ambition for expanding the business

8. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Good Place To Work

May 4, 2021 - Mortgage Adviser in Skipton, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fair pay good level of work life balance

Cons

Bonus could be more in line with competitors

9. 3.0

Great for short term

May 4, 2021 - Customer Relationship Consultant in Taunton, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

SBS is a great stepping stone for people who wish to further themselves within the financial industry. As my first role within the industry it has taught me a lot in my short time of being here. The atmosphere is professional but not excessive and there are plenty of laughs to be had with your colleagues. During my time here I have unfortunately had a few problems at home and I have to say that Skipton definitely aid you with out-of-office issues that may arise. As a company I feel aided by them and don't feel judged for having a life outside of the workplace.

Cons

Unfortunately, the main issue with SBS as a whole is the route for progression. If you are the type of person who is a real go-getter then I would probably advise stearing away from SBS. I was told there was room for progression after reiterating the importance of this to myself many times in my interview process and since being there for a short amount of time I feel like I have already hit a very low ceiling. The problem with this is that it makes colleagues stagnate and become complacent.

Continue reading
    10. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Poor staff moral

Apr 30, 2021 - Customer Service in Skipton, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good canteen food , nice environment

Cons

Poor staff moral, management doesn’t help

Viewing 1 - 10 of 117 Reviews