Skipton Building Society Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated May 4, 2021

Found 9 of over 133 reviews

3.9
Skipton Building Society Group Chief Executive David Cutter
David Cutter
Pros
  • "Great culture, one team and living the Skipton values(in 17 reviews)

• "Fair pay good level of work life balance(in 9 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Rewards package less competitive than Leeds/Manchester(in 5 reviews)

• "Senior management are very good but not enough rotation of department heads etc(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

The latest conversations about Finance

88 Comments

Finance

29.9K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/finance/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Skipton Building Society~35651
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

A fantastic place to work

Oct 14, 2019 - Senior Technical Project Manager in Horsforth, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic culture and values for staff and amazing work/life balance makes working here really fun and enjoyable. The people here are what makes the place.

Cons

Doesn't pay quite as well as Leeds city centre, but the advantages definitely make up for it,

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Good Place To Work

May 4, 2021 - Mortgage Adviser in Skipton, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fair pay good level of work life balance

Cons

Bonus could be more in line with competitors

3. 4.0
      Former Employee

Good but needs to be more progressive

Mar 26, 2021 - Product Manager in Skipton, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Colleagues, work ethics, work/life balance

Cons

Needs to be more ambitious

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Modern, forward-thinking organisation with huge potential if efforts are placed in the right areas

Apr 16, 2020 - Business Analyst in Skipton, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Good progression plans and the opportunity to gain industry-leading qualifications. 2. Good work/life balance, especially if you live locally. Recently adopted a relaxed dress policy for non-client contact roles which is just awesome to see. Technology recently upgraded to more modern systems. Proactive in really trying to get with modern times and always engaging staff within teams. There is always an opportunity for colleagues to speak up and get involved. 3. Good opportunities to get involved in lots of different function/team events, good socialising and proactive initiatives to motivate staff. There are genuinely good people who are passionate and always willing to help. There is a strong sense Skipton do care about their clients and staff. 4. Some senior management is very approachable, positive and you don't get the sense of hierarchy in my opinion, unlike many other organisations. You get the impression that they are just human beings like you and I and that it feels more family orientated without position and power clouding judgement, which is brilliant. Whilst the work can be intense, there is good morale and a willingness to always improve and listen to staff on the front line. Skipton is also very proactive in keeping the staff well informed.

Cons

1. Whilst it may sound pedantic, car parking is a major issue for colleagues at Head Office. It's nowhere near adequate or practical for the number of colleagues at the Bailey Office and visitors from in-branch who have a genuine need to drive to work. Whilst facilities management have acknowledged they are trying new technologies to help make the system more efficient, it should be treated with more urgency than it currently is. Due to the Head Office location and the wider area, public transport is often not practical for many who come in from surrounding often rural areas. Skipton encourages colleagues to commute by train or similar methods but in practice, it is not a good enough incentive and it is much quicker to drive which is why it is always oversubscribed. The multi-story car park needs at least another floor and the Society should be harder on Craven Council preventing them from doing this as it just isn't practical for colleagues or residents on surrounding streets. The Society encourages colleagues to not park in surrounding streets but until they provide adequate onsite parking this will always be an issue. The top floor of the multi-story is often left half-empty due to many colleagues choosing to work from home on days where they can't park on-site and yet colleagues who don't yet have a parking pass still aren't allowed to park on-site when they should be able to. Newer colleagues often have to wait well over 2 years to obtain a parking pass due to a huge waiting list and some colleagues are allowed passes when they only live 10-15 minutes' walk away and don't even car share which doesn't make sense. Skipton could try to encourage greater use of car sharing for colleagues who live in the Skipton area, with more incentives and to re-review working from home which would alleviate demand massively. Skipton currently tries to address the issue by leasing spaces in the Castle car park opposite Head Office and whilst it is helpful, all the spaces are often gone by 8:15 am after which colleagues who are too late are forced to pay to park there and often turn around when they realise the leased spaces are gone and park in the surrounding streets instead, which especially when there are free spaces on the top floor of the multi story must be rather frustrating. Whilst there is every good intention in leasing extra staff parking, it isn't enough to resolve it on its own and there could be better, more consistent communication in trying to improve the situation and making better use of capacity, from the facilities management whenever concerns are raised. 2. Not all of the senior management is approachable and it can sometimes feel like a bit of a popularity contest which risks hampering development for newer colleagues if it is left not talked about openly and honestly without fear of judgment. Skipton are very self aware and proactive with supporting colleague wellbeing, but just a bit more could be done in practice to help support what they are trying to do in this space. 3. There is a lot to take in when starting and it can be a little bit too intense at times especially if you're completely new, whilst there is patience and understanding, it could still be better structured in terms of training when new to the role. But this is a criticism I’m sure Skipton would take on board if delivered in the right way.

1 person found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Good place to progress

Feb 28, 2020 - Divisional Manager in Skipton, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible options for work life balance. Good benefits package. Study support.

Cons

Some disconnect between HO and branches

6. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Shiny on the outside

Apr 6, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Skipton, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Facilities - air con, updated computers and internal IT department. - Location - not much can beat Skipton as a working location, especially in the summer. - Some of the people are great - Working hours/breaks are good for a healthy work life balance

Cons

- Poor training - allowed to change details of accounts with minimum training. - Bullying/school environment - if your face doesn’t fit you’ll know about it. It feels a bit like an extension of school. Not a normal working environment. Managers quite happy to gossip and talk about your colleagues personal problems in 1:1 meetings. Pay - in comparison to other companies it’s very poor. It seems they try to make up for this through bonuses.

4 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

A truly great place to work

Dec 12, 2017 - Team Leader in Skipton, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked here for over 25 years and have never wanted to work anywhere else. There are so many opportunities to move between teams and progress your career - you will never be bored. We keep an emphasis on maintaining excellent customer journeys and there is an emphasis on getting good customer outcomes right. Strong values which are lived day to day by colleagues at all levels. Collaborative culture with a One Team ethos. Platinum Investors in People awarded this year. Fabulous building and environment to work in with really good facilities - subsidized restaurant with excellent food. Good rewards package including excellent company pension contributions. Good work / life balance with supportive management team. Open communication encouraged with a feedback culture.

Cons

I can't think of anything at the moment that I would change - love it here.

1 person found this review helpful

Skipton Building Society Response

Culture, Engagement & Performance Lead

Thank you for sharing your experience of working at Skipton. The Society is keen to continue to develop with the feedback it receives and it is great that it is resulting in such a positive experience and a great place for you to come to work. Here's to the next 25 years!

8. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Stuck in the past

Nov 1, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work-life balance is generally good. Nice rural location - makes a change from big cities. Colleagues are nice overall. Canteen.

Cons

Micromanagement. Poor salaries and benefits. Offices need an upgrade. Lack of commerciality Lagging behind rivals like Yorkshire and Leeds Building Societies.

5 people found this review helpful

Skipton Building Society Response

Resourcing Manager

We’re sorry your experience working at Skipton wasn’t as positive as others have said. We’d like to reassure you that we do listen and will continue to listen to our colleagues feedback, and work hard to enable people to have confidence to share with us their honest views – good or bad. We’re really proud of our above industry average 88% Employee Engagement score but are committed to further investing in our colleagues. To address your note about upgrading our offices we have this year undertaken a significant building works project, creating a multifunctional Atrium that provides our 1,500 head office colleagues with lots of new meeting rooms and a light, modern space to facilitate informal meetings, coaching conversations and larger events. We’ve also transformed our busy café into an informal meeting area, together with upgrading all of our washroom facilities. Across our branch network we have a rolling programme of refurbishment, including our Leeds branch, which has been fully refurbished.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee

My review

Jan 7, 2017 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked for the company for about 10 years and it is a fantastic organisation with very good culture. Good work life balance and real investors in people.

Cons

The pay may not be on par with industry standards on some of the more specialised roles.

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 English Reviews